Amphigorey Again

Amphigorey Again (Amphigorey #4)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  981 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This latest collection displays in glorious abundance the offbeat characters and droll humor of Edward Gorey. Figbash is acrobatic, topiaries are tragic, hippopotami are admonitory, and galoshes are remorseful in this celebra- tion of a unique talent that never fails to delight, amuse, and confound.
Amphigorey Again contains previously uncollected work and two unpublished...more
Published September 17th 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

Anthony Vacca
This posthumous collection scrapes up the final works of Gorey along with the assorted odds and ends that appeared in various periodicals. While the works on display in this final collection don’t have the same polished wit and virtuosity of earlier collections, they still make for a breezy and delightful way to pass an hour. I particularly loved Neglected Murderesses - a series of postcards immortalizing the lovely ladies who murder men, women and children, and never a moment look anything but...more
Buck
The Ambiguous Ottoman:
A cautionary tale for incautious times

Lobstergirl had been erratic;
They found her dangling in the attic.

Giltinan, while doing math,
Dropped a toaster in the bath.

Manny made a woeful face;
No one heard him scream in space.

Ceridwen was full of pride
When she was finally zombified.

My Flesh kept singing out,
Only to be clobbered by a lout.

Daniel was a well-known cad
Who made a mobbed-up husband mad.

Stephen needed cheaper thrills;
He overdosed on caffeine pills.

Jessica was very rash...more
Patricia
The very end was rather melancholy, but I think Agowy Erderd, Ogdred Weary, Wee Graddory, and all their friends would have been pleased by that.

"The helpful thought for which you look
Is written somewhere in a book."

"It's well we cannot hear the screams
We make in other people's dreams."

Chris
Its more Gorey brilliance! You either loved Amphigorey and are back for more, or just didn't get it, and should probably not bother talking to me at a party.
Dan
Oct 22, 2009 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Edward Gorey Fans, Proto Goths, People who romanticize the early 20th century
This collection of Edward Gorey's work contains: The Galoshes of Remorse, Signs of Spring, Seasonal Confusion, Random Walk, Category, The Other Statue, 10 Imposible Objects, The Universal Solvent, Scenes de Ballet, Verse Advice, The Deadly Blotter, Creativity, The Retreived Locket, The Water Flowers, The Haunted Tea Cosy, Christmas Wrap-Up, The Headless Bust The Just Dessert, The Admonitory Hippopotamus, Neglected Murderesses, Tradgedies Topiaries, The Raging Tide, The Unknown Vegetable, Another...more
Jeanette
Not quite as good as Amphigorey. Much of the artwork is less impressive and there's not as much good dark humor. Still very enjoyable, though. Gorey was just so clever and original and TWISTED.

My favorite Verse Advice: "One cannot hope to end one's life/With nothing but a butter knife."
The Neglected Murderess Series is a kick, as well as the The Izzard Book--an alphabet primer using only the letter Z. And hey, I even learned some new words. I like "zeugma" and will be looking for ways to slip i...more
Schmacko
I just love Gorey and his storytelling, and this has some of his best stuff in it. I will say I've finally noticed that he's better most of the time when he writes his own stories. Some of his works with other authors is less whimsical, more unfathomable, but not in a good, dark, absurd way he normally works.
Kate
Jan 28, 2008 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the ghastly and the Gorey
Recommended to Kate by: the AMH
Shelves: comics
Fruitcake was sawed in blocks and sent
To Havens for the Indigent,
Where it was used for scouring floors
And propping open banging doors.
Anna
A boring and uninteresting conclusion to Gorey's works. Not sure what happened with him - he lost all his creepiness and surrealism to...social commentary that I couldn't follow. I thought the stories "The Deadly Blotter" and "The Just Dessert" were clever in their formulation. I'd have like to have seen more like that or like from the first volume of Amphigorey. But now, I'm glad I'm done with these. They got steadily worse, in my opinion.
Jeremy
Jan 03, 2009 Jeremy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artisis, people with macbre humor.
Shelves: books-of-2009
Part of what I love about Edward Gorey's illustrations is that my house was that creepified when I was little. Tall ceilings, weird corners. Sadly, there were no neglected murderesses hanging out, nor missing thisbys, or perilously falling statues, but maybe that was for the best.

I believe this is the third and final collection of his works and short stories up to his death in 2000, and it's full of stuff I'd never seen before. Anyone worth their weight in salt has seen the Gashleycrumb Tinies,...more
Mycala
I absolutely love Edward Gorey. I love his drawings, I love the way his mind worked and the silly names he came up with for his characters. I love his mysteries and his alphabet stories. Therefore, I loved this book. :)
Katherine Marie
What a delightful break from reading words...I don't even know how to describe this book, but if you know Edward's work you'll already know what to expect.
Molly
Love Edward Gorey. The stories are excellent- in their peculiar, delightfully weird way. The illustrations remind me of the days of PBS Mystery!, which is awesome. And this one features a kind of Choose-your-own-adventure, before its time. That was neat. Just an excellent collection- even the ones that I finish reading and think 'Um... what?' are wonderful in their own, absurd way.
Sylvester
Gorey stands alone. There's no one like him, although Maurice Sendek's illustrations give me the same kind of weird pleasure. Gorey is such a funny, witty, talented man. His Amphigories are books you can read over and over and get something new out of each time. My favorites are his Thoughtful Alphabets - "The Deadly Blotter" and "The Just Dessert". I recommend all Edward Gorey.
Leonardo
Feb 10, 2009 Leonardo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the delightful macabre
Recommended to Leonardo by: Rafael (as a birthday present)
This is a wonderful collection of Gorey's unsettling and humourous brand of post-surrealist words and illustrations, from his weird alphabets to the wierd parodies of detective stories. Literary references would make him a darker Edward Lear, while his illustrations put him in the Charles Addams: a darker version of traditional children illustrations.
Wes Young
"To us it's very far from clear
the reasons for our being here.
We'd leave at once, but do not know
we've any place where we might go."

I simply love Edward Gorey. It's like if Donald Barthelme and David Lynch could have a child that was somehow their grandfather (thanks for hanging with me on that analogy).
Deva
Edward Gorey's work is strange and interesting. Narratives are very hard to figure out, and I feel like some of the stories would make great writing prompts because there is so much that is not filled in. This is the only collected work I've read of his, so I have no idea how it compares to the other amphigoreys.
Andy
I loved the other amphigoreys! This one, a little less, and I'm not sure why. It might be because the linework contrast between some of the earlier and later works in this one was so great, or maybe some of the stories struck me as a little too close to self-parody, or maybe (horror!) I'm just Gorey-ed out.
Ashley
"For a brilliant apophthegm, turn to 18.

There's no going to town in a bathtub"

-The Raging Tide: or,the blackdoll's imbroglio.

"It was a spectral hippopotamus. "Fly at once!" he said. "All is discovered.""

-The Admonitory Hippopotamus: or, Angelica and Sneezby
Rachel
Why was this book hiding the adult non-fiction art section? Anyway, I'm glad that I found it. Edward Gorey is always weird and mostly funny. "The Raging Tide: or, The Black Doll's Imbroglio" is a satire of the choose-your-own-adventure genre.
Dan
Mehr Fragmente als in den anderen Werken. Auch eine Handvoll Zweifelhaftes.
Dennoch wieder großartige morbide Storys. Höhepunkt: die Postkartensammlung der Mörderinnen.
Und auch in diesem letzten (?) Amphigorey probiert er neue Stile aus.
Suzan
Super creative!!!!! I bought two of these books so I could read one and the second one I cut up and framed in my living room. The artistic qualities are amazing along with the gore to make for a new take on the alphabet and art!
James
Good collection of Gorey but not as good as the first three. It was apparent that this was the final volume of the anthology and was mostly made up of the less important and less interesting works.
Brandon Cerny
Dec 15, 2011 Brandon Cerny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: brandon cerny
One of the many books on my shelves that actually makes you think and use your brain! This is a bitter-sweet collection of unfinished works by Mr. Gorey.
Allie
Favorites: the Galoshes of Remorse, the Universal Solvent, Scenes de Ballet, Verse Advice, Creativity, the Neglected Murderess series, and Tragedies Topiares.
SC
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
JD
Some fun, clever stuff here. I enjoyed the clever alphabets the most, I think. Still, nothing as page-by-page funny as the Gashlycrumb Tinies.
David
Another great collection. I own many of his individual books but the collections seem to have a good deal of art I couldn't find otherwise.
Darliza
That was a joy to read and gave me a new tattoo idea too. I can't wait to get my hands on the other Amphigorey books.
Sara
This is my first introduction to Gorey and I'm impressed. Gorgeous artwork and dark humor- it's perfect!!
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories
  • The Strange Case of Edward Gorey
  • Quimby the Mouse: Or Comic Strips, 1990-1991
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever!
  • The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories
  • The Artful Dodger: Images and Reflections
  • More Dykes to Watch Out For
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
  • Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • Favole: Frozen Light
  • The Tick: The Naked City
  • Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • The Homecoming
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular...more
More about Edward Gorey...
The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1) Amphigorey Amphigorey Too Amphigorey Also The Doubtful Guest