Start by marking “Amphigorey Again (Amphigorey, #4)” as Want to Read:
Amphigorey Again (Amphigorey, #4)

Amphigorey Again (Amphigorey #4)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  1,241 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
This latest collection displays in glorious abundance the offbeat characters and droll humor of Edward Gorey. Figbash is acrobatic, topiaries are tragic, hippopotami are admonitory, and galoshes are remorseful in this celebra- tion of a unique talent that never fails to delight, amuse, and confound.
Amphigorey Again contains previously uncollected work and two unpublished
Published September 17th 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

Anthony Vacca
Jun 16, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This posthumous collection scrapes up the final works of Gorey along with the assorted odds and ends that appeared in various periodicals. While the works on display in this final collection don’t have the same polished wit and virtuosity of earlier collections, they still make for a breezy and delightful way to pass an hour. I particularly loved Neglected Murderesses - a series of postcards immortalizing the lovely ladies who murder men, women and children, and never a moment look anything but ...more
Buck
Dec 02, 2009 Buck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
The Ambiguous Ottoman:
A cautionary tale for incautious times

Lobstergirl had been erratic;
They found her dangling in the attic.

Giltinan, while doing math,
Dropped a toaster in the bath.

Manny made a woeful face;
No one heard him scream in space.

Ceridwen was full of pride
When she was finally zombified.

My Flesh kept singing out,
Only to be clobbered by a lout.

Daniel was a well-known cad
Who made a mobbed-up husband mad.

Stephen needed cheaper thrills;
He overdosed on caffeine pills.

Jessica was very ras
dianne
Jul 26, 2015 dianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorey does the most brilliant job of capturing all that is wonderful and silly in the people Anglo.
"In the folly a candlestick mounted on a horse's hoof rested on page 47 of 'The Romance of a Soda Cracker'." Flawlessly, and in tremendous detail, the illustrations that accompany his wit and genius are almost too good to be true. Who, but an over-resourced Brit, could have created "follies" in the first place?
The names, ah the names..."He was recognized at once by Lady Isobel Stringless, Lord Whe
Patricia
The very end was rather melancholy, but I think Agowy Erderd, Ogdred Weary, Wee Graddory, and all their friends would have been pleased by that.

"The helpful thought for which you look
Is written somewhere in a book."

"It's well we cannot hear the screams
We make in other people's dreams."

Chris
Its more Gorey brilliance! You either loved Amphigorey and are back for more, or just didn't get it, and should probably not bother talking to me at a party.
Dan
Oct 22, 2009 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Edward Gorey Fans, Proto Goths, People who romanticize the early 20th century
This collection of Edward Gorey's work contains: The Galoshes of Remorse, Signs of Spring, Seasonal Confusion, Random Walk, Category, The Other Statue, 10 Imposible Objects, The Universal Solvent, Scenes de Ballet, Verse Advice, The Deadly Blotter, Creativity, The Retreived Locket, The Water Flowers, The Haunted Tea Cosy, Christmas Wrap-Up, The Headless Bust The Just Dessert, The Admonitory Hippopotamus, Neglected Murderesses, Tradgedies Topiaries, The Raging Tide, The Unknown Vegetable, Another ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Not quite as good as Amphigorey. Much of the artwork is less impressive and there's not as much good dark humor. Still very enjoyable, though. Gorey was just so clever and original and TWISTED.

My favorite Verse Advice: "One cannot hope to end one's life/With nothing but a butter knife."
The Neglected Murderess Series is a kick, as well as the The Izzard Book--an alphabet primer using only the letter Z. And hey, I even learned some new words. I like "zeugma" and will be looking for ways to slip i
Wes Young
Apr 12, 2012 Wes Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"To us it's very far from clear
the reasons for our being here.
We'd leave at once, but do not know
we've any place where we might go."

I simply love Edward Gorey. It's like if Donald Barthelme and David Lynch could have a child that was somehow their grandfather (thanks for hanging with me on that analogy).
Schmacko
Mar 03, 2013 Schmacko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Gorey and his storytelling, and this has some of his best stuff in it. I will say I've finally noticed that he's better most of the time when he writes his own stories. Some of his works with other authors is less whimsical, more unfathomable, but not in a good, dark, absurd way he normally works.
Kate
Apr 12, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the ghastly and the Gorey
Recommended to Kate by: the AMH
Shelves: comics
Fruitcake was sawed in blocks and sent
To Havens for the Indigent,
Where it was used for scouring floors
And propping open banging doors.
Kathy Worrell  ツ
New to me graphic book author and artist.

It took me awhile to get into the groove of his bizarre writings and illustrations. I purchased four of his graphic books on a whim and am now just enjoying them.
Scott
Dec 25, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, picture
"The Raging Tide: or the Black Doll's Imbroglio" is the best Choose-Your-Own-Adventure I have ever read.
Kate Merriman
Sep 23, 2016 Kate Merriman rated it it was amazing
Genius.
Jeremy
Jan 03, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artisis, people with macbre humor.
Shelves: books-of-2009
Part of what I love about Edward Gorey's illustrations is that my house was that creepified when I was little. Tall ceilings, weird corners. Sadly, there were no neglected murderesses hanging out, nor missing thisbys, or perilously falling statues, but maybe that was for the best.

I believe this is the third and final collection of his works and short stories up to his death in 2000, and it's full of stuff I'd never seen before. Anyone worth their weight in salt has seen the Gashleycrumb Tinies,
Anna
A boring and uninteresting conclusion to Gorey's works. Not sure what happened with him - he lost all his creepiness and surrealism to...social commentary that I couldn't follow. I thought the stories "The Deadly Blotter" and "The Just Dessert" were clever in their formulation. I'd have like to have seen more like that or like from the first volume of Amphigorey. But now, I'm glad I'm done with these. They got steadily worse, in my opinion.
Andy
Sep 09, 2007 Andy rated it really liked it
I loved the other amphigoreys! This one, a little less, and I'm not sure why. It might be because the linework contrast between some of the earlier and later works in this one was so great, or maybe some of the stories struck me as a little too close to self-parody, or maybe (horror!) I'm just Gorey-ed out.
Sylvester
Jan 17, 2011 Sylvester rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, art
Gorey stands alone. There's no one like him, although Maurice Sendek's illustrations give me the same kind of weird pleasure. Gorey is such a funny, witty, talented man. His Amphigories are books you can read over and over and get something new out of each time. My favorites are his Thoughtful Alphabets - "The Deadly Blotter" and "The Just Dessert". I recommend all Edward Gorey.
Leonardo
Feb 10, 2009 Leonardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the delightful macabre
Recommended to Leonardo by: Rafael (as a birthday present)
This is a wonderful collection of Gorey's unsettling and humourous brand of post-surrealist words and illustrations, from his weird alphabets to the wierd parodies of detective stories. Literary references would make him a darker Edward Lear, while his illustrations put him in the Charles Addams: a darker version of traditional children illustrations.
Molly
Jun 20, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Edward Gorey. The stories are excellent- in their peculiar, delightfully weird way. The illustrations remind me of the days of PBS Mystery!, which is awesome. And this one features a kind of Choose-your-own-adventure, before its time. That was neat. Just an excellent collection- even the ones that I finish reading and think 'Um... what?' are wonderful in their own, absurd way.
Deva
Aug 13, 2016 Deva rated it really liked it
Edward Gorey's work is strange and interesting. Narratives are very hard to figure out, and I feel like some of the stories would make great writing prompts because there is so much that is not filled in. This is the only collected work I've read of his, so I have no idea how it compares to the other amphigoreys.
Vicki Moutoux
Jul 21, 2016 Vicki Moutoux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gorey fans
More silly and strange views of the world from Edward Gorey. The artwork is in his trademark style, and the stories are just as odd as usual. One of the best parts is a pictorial with no text, just 50 pictures of cats with the appropriate number included somehow.
Dan Richter
Feb 13, 2015 Dan Richter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, english
Mehr Fragmente als in den anderen Werken. Auch eine Handvoll Zweifelhaftes.
Dennoch wieder großartige morbide Storys. Höhepunkt: die Postkartensammlung der Mörderinnen.
Und auch in diesem letzten (?) Amphigorey probiert er neue Stile aus.
Mycala
Aug 06, 2016 Mycala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Edward Gorey. I love his drawings, I love the way his mind worked and the silly names he came up with for his characters. I love his mysteries and his alphabet stories. Therefore, I loved this book. :)
Rachel
May 19, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why was this book hiding the adult non-fiction art section? Anyway, I'm glad that I found it. Edward Gorey is always weird and mostly funny. "The Raging Tide: or, The Black Doll's Imbroglio" is a satire of the choose-your-own-adventure genre.
Suzan
May 21, 2012 Suzan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super creative!!!!! I bought two of these books so I could read one and the second one I cut up and framed in my living room. The artistic qualities are amazing along with the gore to make for a new take on the alphabet and art!
Ashley
Apr 18, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
"For a brilliant apophthegm, turn to 18.

There's no going to town in a bathtub"

-The Raging Tide: or,the blackdoll's imbroglio.

"It was a spectral hippopotamus. "Fly at once!" he said. "All is discovered.""

-The Admonitory Hippopotamus: or, Angelica and Sneezby
Ariel
Can not believe that it was the last "Amphigorey" book. I do like the dedication page to Gorey and ALL of his 'pen-names'. Again, with the alaphabet, it seems to Always be a part of Gorey's books. but then again, one can't be supersized by this, Can they?
David
Aug 08, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great collection. I own many of his individual books but the collections seem to have a good deal of art I couldn't find otherwise.
Polly
Jun 15, 2015 Polly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A fine collection of odd bits of Gorey, many of them from magazines and things, published after his death.
Darliza
Oct 27, 2013 Darliza rated it it was amazing
That was a joy to read and gave me a new tattoo idea too. I can't wait to get my hands on the other Amphigorey books.
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • Donald Has a Difficulty
  • Elephant House; or, the Home of Edward Gorey
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Mafalda: Las fiestas
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • The Bumper Book of Simon's Cat
  • Famous Players (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Favole: Frozen Light
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1933-1934: Necromancy by the Blue Bean Bush
  • The Tick: The Naked City
  • Sunset with a Beard
  • An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...

Amphigorey (4 books)
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Amphigorey Too (Amphigorey, #2)
  • Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey, #3)