Culture Counts: Faith and Feeling in a World Besieged

Culture Counts: Faith and Feeling in a World Besieged

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Renowned philosopher Roger Scruton defends Western culture against its internal critics and external enemies, and argues that rumours of its death are seriously exaggerated.
Published May 1st 2007 by Encounter Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Culture Counts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culture Counts

Maughn Gregory
It has been several years since I read a book from such a conservative point of view, and I was astonished to find that I agreed with so much of it. Scruton defends not only the humanities broadly speaking but classic Western art, philosophy, literature, music and architecture in particular, as containing moral, political and emotional knowledge so precious that, he argues, we should not think of teaching them as a benefit to students, but as a way of using students to conserve and perpetuate th...more
Bob Myer
This is a good read for anyone concerned about the state of Western culture. It is a good defense of why teaching classical Western culture matters and how those who want to keep the culture alive can act.
Miss Karen Jean Martinson
At the limits of his arguments, we totally diverge, Scruton and I. But he makes some good point. I find his idea of protracted adolescence to be particularly apt.
John Morgan
Mar 19, 2008 John Morgan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in understanding culture and its importance
This is a very significant look at the importance of understanding culture and it's every day role in our lives. A small book with big ideas.
Paolo  Merolla
This book, even if it's very clearly written, deserves to be read a lot times. It seems always knew. Any page is genial!
Edmund
It's great, but it's mostly a rehash of his "Modern Culture".
Steve
Excellent, apart from his reliance in the Enlightenment.
Christian Man
Oct 23, 2010 Christian Man is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lame title, excellent thoughts.
Dominic Aquila
Scruton at his best!
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jon Persson
Jon Persson marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Joseph Sharp
Joseph Sharp marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Sep 06, 2014
Daker
Daker marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sam Winslett
Sam Winslett marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Tom Vanderschoot
Tom Vanderschoot marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Fennek
Fennek added it
Aug 04, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Roger Vernon Scruton is a self-employed English philosopher and writer, known in the UK as a key figure in the "New Right" in the 1980s and 1990s. He currently lives in rural Wiltshire, but was a professor of philosophy at Boston University from 1992 to 1995, and subsequently a professor at Birkbeck College, London.
More about Roger Scruton...
Kant: A Very Short Introduction Beauty A Short History of Modern Philosophy (Routledge Classics) An Intelligent Person's Guide to Philosophy Modern Philosophy: An Introduction and Survey