Start by marking “A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Abridged)” as Want to Read:
A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Abridged)

A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Abridged)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,895 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Harry watches in terror as the giant prehistoric monsters come closer and closer... In an incredible world hundreds of miles beneath the earth's surface, three daring explorers risk their lives!

Unforgettable adventure that thrilled you in the movie, Journey to the Center of the Earth, that you saw on Television.

This is an abridged and edited version of the classic tale.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published 1972 by Scholastic

Matthew Fedje
Jun 01, 2012 Matthew Fedje rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book alone set me on my path toward a career in earth sciences. So many new and exciting geologic processes were intertwined with a coming of age story of a young adult. A truly amazing read for any budding teenage scientist like myself when I was 16. I will always credit my interest in the earth to Jules Verne.
Basma shalaby
May 27, 2015 Basma shalaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
كنت بحبها جداااا من أفضل وأمتع ما درست في مجال القصة الإنجليزية على مدى سنوات الدراسة كافة
مستر فاروق فلوبس وذكريااااااااات لا تنسى :)
JCStitches
I can't say this book is one of my favorite stories or that I would even read it again, but it IS deserving of being a "classic."

Something that I've noticed in all of Verne's novels, that continues in this one, is that I can't really connect with the characters. They're bland and forgettable, unless they're just outright annoying or unbelievable. That would be my only major complaint.

To contrast that, I was fascinated by the creativity of Verne's descriptions of the journey beneath the earth and
Ally
Title: A Journey to the Center of the Earth
Author: Jules Verne
Genre: Science Fiction
Theme(s): Discovery/Science/Adventure
Opening line/sentence: “On 24 May 1863, which was a Sunday, my uncle, Professor Lindenbrock, came rushing back toward his little house, No. 19 Konigstrasse, one of the oldest streets in the old quarter of Hamburg.”
Brief Book Summary: Axel and his uncle find a priceless piece of paper in a book and it leads them on a terrifying, adventurous, journey to find the center of the ea
Zac
Mar 17, 2016 Zac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey to the center of the earth takes place in the mid eighteen hundreds. Otto the main character discovers the work of a philosopher from the sixteen hundreds who was from iceland. In this work Otto starts to believe that the center of the earth is not a hot liquid but another environment that in habitable Otto starts to think that it is possible to travel there and he starts to develop a expedition to the center of the earth. Otto and his accompany set off to Iceland where you can supposedl ...more
Geo MaHa
دي كنت عمالة ادور عليها :D
مش فاكرة حاجة غير اني كنت بحبها حتي مش فاكرة تفاصيلها :D
ذكريات ثالثة اعدادي
نفسي اجيب القصص دي تاني واقعد اقرأها
إن شاء الله حاعمل كدا :)
Dave Holcomb
I picked this up simply because I have not read anything by Verne in forty years, and I was wondering if I would still enjoy his work.

As it happened, I found this one a bit weak -- more predictable and almost formulaic than many of Verne's other novels. A quick read, but a bit more painfully and glaringly dated than works like "Around the World in 80 Days" or "An Antarctic Mystery", in which the story more effectively compensates for the holes in the science.

I would recommend it for a young read
Scott
Aug 16, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The melodramatic 19th Century language could be a bit much for contemporary readers who just want a roiling tale, or expect simply that. The story is more surreal travelogue than action novel. The cover art on the icon here is accurate, but misleading. Like Shelly's Frankenstein and Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the story is a rather preoccupied with the role of Science, except in this case, it is praise rather than critique.

For the astute reader, what this volume does
Jeremy
Dec 14, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
This is another one of those books that I thought I had read, but never got around to it. Finally, after my older brother gave me a copy for Christmas, I sat down to read “Journey to the Centre of the Earth”.
Jules Verne has a very unique style. He’s not fettered down by absolute facts, and loves to sport myriad theories of his time. But first and foremost his books are travel logs. While fantastic voyages, travels, and even technologies are introduced, the basic premise is the journey itself. Y
Anh Cat
10. As you read today, what surprised you? Explain how this will affect the story or how it changed your thinking about the story?
Today, for me I do not believe that there are any living things under the layer of the earth or even in my mind I cannot imagine anything. So as the first time see the title “Journey to the center of the Earth” by Jules Verne, I think that I must read this book even though it is just a fiction not reality. There many interesting and vivid things about this story. They
Rebecca Reid
Supposedly, Jules Verne is, in France, considered a “travel and adventure” writer, and is considered one of the great French authors, along with Zola, Hugo, and Dumas. Although I don’t consider him one of the greatest authors I’ve read, I have no doubt that Jules Verne is a great author, and well deserving of his “classic” status. The splendor of his writing may have been lost in translation.

His novels are amazingly inventive creations, a mix of science and fantasy. I am not generally interested
Beth
Sep 08, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books written in this era have a particular explanatory style that is both informative and annoying. In this case, the science is so wacky that it took away from the story (for me) as compared to Moby Dick where the details of whaling were welcome and helpful.

This was my first Jules Verne book, although I've long been a fan of the old movie - the one with Pat Boone. I can see why so many people, like Doc Brown in Back to the Future, would find this an exciting tale. As a modern reader though it
Guy
Nov 04, 2015 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Journey To The Center Of The Earth by Jules Verne, starts out very intriguing just grabs you and keeps pulling in. Axel’s Uncle Professor Lidenbrock drags Axel through an adventure that wears them both down but yet they go deeper, Axel is not too lenient on this adventure, but Lidenbrock is extremely obsessed to find the center. They must go into a inactive volcano called sniffles, to begin their long, dark, cold journey.
P.S. Winn
Apr 02, 2016 P.S. Winn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jules Verne, was this author psychic or what? I am astounded by the accuracy of a few of the things he apparently saw years and years ago that relate to today. In this novel the adventure takes readers to the center of the earth for thrills, horrors and even a bit of a conspiracy. You have to love the classics and this author is definitely one to pick up.
Spock42, Cameron
Jan 13, 2016 Spock42, Cameron rated it it was amazing
How would you like to take journey to the center of earth? That would be amazing right to go the center of the earth and also dangerous but just imagine that. I like how everything stars out by this book like its with his father and he stars going crazy about how he is going to get there but one big advertisers thing to do. This book has every thing in it like dinosaurs big plants and everything. The center of the is really hot and there are trying to get of out the center of the earth. It just ...more
Joellen Armstrong
Fantastic read! There are definitely parts where I skimmed a little because the geological language and references were lost on me, but it doesn't deter from the story-line or excitement. So adventurous, so creative, and the comical pieces and lines are absolutely perfect. I can't wait to read more from Jules Verne.
Cora Farris
Dec 03, 2013 Cora Farris rated it liked it
Verne’s purpose in writing this book was likely to enrich minds, seeing as it is fiction. It also could have been intended to raise awareness for the scientific community. The theme of this book was “do not let fear stand in the way of success.” Professor Hardwigg is often seen putting his nephew’s safety concerns to the side in the interest of furthering their exploration. This was done, quite effectively, in a narrative style. The story is told as though the narrator, Harry, is looking back on ...more
David Seelye
The story line was OK, The main character was a bit of a whiny young man. I wondered about how good the science has held up. I bought the book as a kid but I guess I didn't ever read it.
Eire
Jan 31, 2016 Eire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book,and I am looking forward to reading the un -abridged version. The idea behind it was amazing! Imagine if this actually happened?
Annie Miller
May 21, 2015 Annie Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. I thought it would be harder to get through, but it wasn't bad. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys classics.
Emily
Jun 08, 2016 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book, rather than reading the hard copy, which was a new experience for me. So, I'm not sure if I didn't like it as much for that reason, or because it just didn't engage me as much. Interesting story, I'm not sad I read it, but I couldn't always follow what was happening.
Mashrur Labib
May 27, 2015 Mashrur Labib rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and bold with obvious foggy events like hierarchy
Clarkhou
Jan 07, 2013 Clarkhou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, january
The story is set in the 19th century. It simply begins with a German professor and his nephew introducing their life styles and characteristics. Soon after the professor is hooked to an old book coded with runic letters, and holding secrets that he is eager to find out. Soon, after days of intense investigation on decrypting the codes written, his nephew cracks it and it is written the details of where to go in order to get to the center of the earth. And so the professor's mind is set straight ...more
Andrea
NPR 100 Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Books, #72
Aitor
Aug 25, 2015 Aitor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book difrent to the movie
Sara Georgy
The writer is really creative .
Darsana
Jan 19, 2016 Darsana rated it liked it
Another classic science fiction by Jules Verne. I'm a fan of him. Blessed with great imagination. I was accompanying them on their journey towards the center of earth. It was beyond my prediction.
Levi Makula
Jan 02, 2014 Levi Makula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is revolutionary for it's time. Not many writers were as witty and imaginative as Raymond James and it shows in "A Journey To The Center Of The Earth". It keeps the reader guessing the whole time, very unpredictable. His imagination is what makes this book good. However, the way it is written can sometimes be bland and even a bit unnecessary in some circumstances, Too much time is spent on the finer details, which could easily be removed. Still a very good read! A wonderful adventure s ...more
Kori
May 17, 2015 Kori rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I give it three stars based on how much I liked it when I read it. I was younger then and I am quite sure couldn't fully appreciate it. I was also under a lot of stress and I was only reading it as a distraction.

I think perhaps it would be a good idea to get it down, dust of its cover and read it again. I've read 'Around the World in 80 Days' and '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' since I finished this book and I loved both so I think I really ought to give it another chance.
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • مملكة الأعداء الخفية
  • Good Ol' Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #3)
  • Tatlı Betüş
  • Borderlands 4: An Anthology of Imaginative Fiction
  • D20 Modern Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook
  • Dreaming in Smoke
  • The Courtship of Miles Standish
  • ٧ ألـوان
  • টুকুনজিল
  • The Lost Locket (Nancy Drew: Notebooks, #2)
  • شمس النهار
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • GRUM!
  • Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
  • القنديل الصغير
  • Aelita
  • Starshine
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

“Mientras el corazón lata y la carne palpite, no me explico que un ser dotado de voluntad se deje dominar por la desesperación.” 3 likes
“When I saw myself thus wholly cut off from human succour, incapable of attempting anything for my deliverance, I thought of heavenly succour. Memories of my childhood, of my mother...came back to me. I began to pray, little as I deserved that God should know me when I had forgotten Him so long; and I prayed fervently.” 2 likes