Dreamquest

Dreamquest

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Eleven-year-old Julie Fray is living a nightmare. Her parents are fighting so much she can't even escape when she goes to sleep.Every night she has horrible dreams--and all she wants is for them to stop.
Then one nightshe wakes up insideher dream, in the studio where her dreams are produced! There is even a star who looks just like Julie who plays her in her dreams.With so...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Starscape (first published 2007)

Amy
Uugh. I love this author, but I really hate this book. Mainly just because it is cheesy and aimed at really young people.
It is about a girl who is suffering from nightmares and wakes up to find herself in Slumberia and embarks on a quest to stop her nightmares.
154 pages
Heather
The premise was great: a girl wakes up in one of her dreams and has to find her way out. The story, however, was weird and ridiculous. I didn't enjoy it.
Erin
eh. just ok. was expecting to like it more!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

Eleven-year-old Julie is torn -- torn between her parents, who constantly bicker and try to force her to pick sides, and torn up by her nightmares, which get scarier and more vivid every night. So it's not surprising that one night a tear opens in Julie herself, causing her to slip through her unconscious into the world where her dreams are made: Slumberia. There, she must try to find a way to convince the dream makers to stop giving her nightmares, and...more
Christian
Julie Fray is experiencing quite a bit of stress in her life. Because of this, her dreams are rather bizaare and frightening, causing her to lose sleep. Then, one day, she wakes up inside her dreams at the dream studio where the nightmares are filmed. The actress who plays her in her dreams escapes out the rift and takes over her daily life while she goes on a quest to ask the producers to stop creating nightmares for her.

Normally, I'm a real fan of Hartinger's work, especially Geography Club,...more
Naima Haviland
Dreamquest by Brent Hartinger is about Julie, a 12 year old girl who's a misfit at school and a wishbone pulled in opposite directions by her bickering parents. To make matters worse, she has terrible nightmares. One night she finds herself in the land of nightmares -- that's right, the dream factory that creates nightmares in much the same way that movies get made in Hollywood. The exception is that the execs and flunkies who produce Julie's nightmares range in species from human to shark to mo...more
Melisa
Dreamquest was a really good book. It is more for teens or younger kids but it was still good! It is a story about a girl named Julie who keeps having nightmares and one day gets stuck inside her own dreams! In a place called Slumberia she meets all kinds of characters who try to help her end her nightmares and escape from her dreams before time runs out and she gets stuck forever! But she must get past one; Vivian, who is determined to enter Julies world and take over her life. Will Julie retu...more
Bitten_by_Books
Julie Fray’s parents fight constantly and use her against each other. It is no wonder that Julie’s dreams have become violent nightmares. Every night, the dreams seem to get more horrible, pitting her father against her mother with her being literally torn apart by the two of them...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By Books for the review of Dreamquest: Tales of Slumberia in it's entirety. You won't be sorry.
BookChic Club
In Brent Hartinger's brilliant debut in the fantasy genre for tweens, he is able to put together an amazing, original tale into a story not just for younger readers, but for all ages. Julie is a completely believable, fierce, and even a bit sassy heroine. Peppered throughout with both Hartinger's trademark humor and Hollywood satire, this is one read that simply cannot be put down until you finish the last word. Why oh why will it take so long for the sequels to come out?!

Note: And unfortunately...more
Kristine Castillo
I liked the book not because the story has captured my heart but because it's the first novel I've read with weirdest characters.
Stacy Mozer
This book was fun and exciting. It is the perfect book to hand a.middle grade reader, boy or girl. I love the idea that there is a world that creates our dreams that can run amuck. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Atomicgirl
Julie tries to stop her nightmares before returning the waking world. I usually like the author's works but this book was a bit simplistic with flat characters.
Kevin Shrum
An exciting fantasy-ish book for middle level readers. When do dreams become reality? When does reality feel like a dream? Dream production - what a business.
Gilliauna
Oct 30, 2013 Gilliauna added it
Shelves: abandoned
I never got to finish this book because I had too many books I was reading at the time, but it was really interesting when I was reading it.
Luna Andres
Ah. The love story of capitalism. Boils down to corporate greed, of course. Well, politically, it's in. But not exactly my taste.
Jacquel
It was an exciting read, but just not my taste. I recommend this for middle schoolers.
La Toya
Interesting story for sure! Don't need to rush out to go get this one though!
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Nicholas Barcelona
Nicholas Barcelona marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Telhurt
Telhurt marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Gëff Ebrada
Gëff Ebrada marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Ericka 'carlson' tucker
Ericka 'carlson' tucker marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Deyne Yarrington
Deyne Yarrington marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Miranda Howard
Miranda Howard marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Constance
Constance marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Alyssa R
Alyssa R marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I am Brent Hartinger, and I live to write.

For the last twenty years, I have made my living writing just about everything that involves words.

My most famous book is probably my 2003 novel, Geography Club, which has been adapted into a feature film starring Scott Bakula, Marin Hinkle, Ana Gasteyer, Cameron Deane Stewart, Justin Deeley, Ally Maki, Andrew Caldwell, and Nikki Blonsky. It'll be released...more
More about Brent Hartinger...
Geography Club (Russel Middlebrook, #1) The Order of the Poison Oak (Russel Middlebrook, #2) The Last Chance Texaco Double Feature: Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies/Bride of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies (Russel Middlebrook, #3) Project Sweet Life