Start by marking “The Power of Giving: How Giving Back Enriches Us All” as Want to Read:
The Power of Giving: How Giving Back Enriches Us All

The Power of Giving: How Giving Back Enriches Us All

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  277 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
This practical and visionary guide helps you discover that the more you give, the more you have.
Simple and easy to use, "The Power of Giving" provides a wealth of down-to-earth ideas, exercises, and real-life stories that reveal to each reader the unique gifts he or she has to give?including kindness, ideas, advice, attention, hope, and more?and the many ways you can ben
Published August 14th 2008 by Tarcher (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Giving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Giving

Leo Polovets
1) Very anecdotal.
2) A large fraction of examples and suggestions come from from religious texts and practices. I am not religious and was hoping for research-based advice, so this aspect of the book was disappointing.
3) There are some good tidbits here and there (hence 2 stars instead of 1), but overall the content is fairly straightforward and intuitive. I probably could've come up with 80% of the book's suggestions if I just sat down and brainstormed for 60 minutes.
Mai Tarraf
كتاب استمتعت بقرائتة كثيرا يحدث فى بعض البديهيات ولكنه مهتم جدا بتفاصيلها ويحفز على فعلها
يتحدث عن المؤسسات الغير هادفة للربح وكيف انه واجب على كل انسان ان يتطوع فى وحدة منها حتى نؤدى حق المجتمع علينا
هناك رسالة عظيمة من الكتاب هو انه عندما تنغمس فى العطاء سيجردك من الانانية وعندما تتجرد من الانانية سوف يوصلك هذا الى ذاتك ويجعل من روحك روح متفائلة جميلة تساعد الناس وتساعد نفسها ويصبح المجتمع مجتمعا خيرا تعاونيا
امدنى بطاقة روحية جيدة جدا
bamlinden
I've been thinking a lot about the subject of giving over the past few weeks. I don't know if it's because it's "that time of year" or maybe because of what has transpired at work recently. I feel like I don't do enough and wanted to take a closer look at what I want to do and how I should do it.

This book was helpful in that respect. It's very much a common sense read with nothing overly mind blowing, it's very straight forward and easy to digest.

This book has given me ideas that I can apply i
Jeff Willis
I picked up this book on sale at Audible because it sounded interesting and this happens to be a year where I'm contemplating a significant increase in my giving habits.

WHAT I LIKED: The authors did a good job of categorizing different kinds of giving and pointing out that there's more than just a couple ways to give. Most people think charitable giving is about giving time and/or money, but the authors did a good job of pointing out additional types of giving and challenged the reader to consid
Silas
Jan 27, 2015 Silas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this from Audible, thinking it would give me something new to think about. It was many of the same ideas I have heard many times before rehashed, which didn't specifically emphasize religious charity, but was so clearly coming from that standpoint that it might as well have. Not adhering to an Abrahamic faith, I find the practice of tithing questionable, personally, so having so much emphasis on that idea did not endear me to this book. You may have different feelings if you do not have is ...more
Sori
روح الكتاب جميلة جداً وإيجابية، روح العطاء بجميع أنواعه، عطاؤك لنفسك، لعائلتك وأطفالك، لمجتمعك وللأرض قاطبة.

كان ملهماً لي في مواضع كثيرة وقصص كثيرة وعند كل قراءة يثير فيني حماسة العطاء.

يعيبه التكرار وكثرة حديث الكاتبين عن بعضهما.

تقييمي من 3.5 إلى 4

يوجد منه نسخة عربية.
Aboobaker Thanveer
Feb 17, 2011 Aboobaker Thanveer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thanus
i think dis one of the tremendous book i have read, author have designed the so perfectly that could not stop turning around pages.
Khaidir
Sep 07, 2015 Khaidir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must-read! Profit from reading it. Give(share) it to everyone you love.
Seoul Nainggolan
Mar 25, 2012 Seoul Nainggolan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the more you give, the more you receive
Paiman Chen
Aug 10, 2012 Paiman Chen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more we give, the more we get.
Matheus Aribowo
Mar 11, 2015 Matheus Aribowo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Menunjukan bahwa hidup bukan tentang menerima sebanyak banyaknya. Bagaimana kita menerima kalau tidak memberi lebih dulu. Mengingatkan kita bahwa memberi adalah hal mulia yang berguna dan baik bagi penerima dan terlebih juga bagi sang pemberi. Dan memberi tidak hanya materi, dalam buku ini ditunjukan bahwa banyak hal yang bisa kita berikan kepada orang lain, bukan hanya hal materi atau benda. Bacalah buku ini, dan semoga semakin banyak memberi dan semakin banyak menerima berkat dari Tuhan.
K.R. Patterson
Mar 08, 2015 K.R. Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first this book made me feel guilty and I didn't like it. But then I read the part about being an unhealthy giver and that you should have balance and help yourself first. That was my problem, I realized, and that was what I needed to hear. I believe what this book says is true, and in the end it changed my perspective on giving from something that was guilty and negative to something more positive and empowering.
Maryammr514
The power of giving is a book that i really enjoyed reading, it is about giving, and the impact of giving on a person.
the power of giving is the strength that you get when you give anyone the simplest thing; an improve in health, relationships, and even self-satisfaction as well as happiness. this books teaches you to give with joy, and never wait for a pay back, because once you give, you get in many forms and in different times. In fact the more you give others, the more you give yourself.
the
Amy Hardison
This was a 3 1/2 star book for me. Some parts of it were really great. Others were good reminders of things I would consider common sense. Occasionally it felt like a collection of platitudes. It is hard for me to give it only 3 1/2 stars when parts of it are so inspiring. It might be a 5 star book for someone else.
Jeanette Johnson
Not really much new or groundbreaking here. Lots of info from sources, thinkers, and traditions (both religious and secular) which emphasize kindness & generosity toward others, so if you've done much learning already in this area, you may find this, as I did, to be true but unremarkable.
Dr. Gre
The book wasn't that great. I usually dont give 3/5 stars, but it was not worth its cost in my eyes. Although it had some good general information about giving back, it did not go in depth.
Ubaid Talpur
Aug 20, 2014 Ubaid Talpur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice book, Azeem Jamal discloses the topics giving this topic is the need of time 21 century,
10% out of your whole income should be spent on needy people is a such a best idea.
Justine
Sep 24, 2011 Justine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Kay Sprinkel Grace said, "The Power of Giving is an authentic, inspiring, moving and practical book about abundance, hope and the basic truth of philanthropy: the love of humankind." ....

while ... Stephen Post said, "Azim Jamal and Harvey McKinnon have outlined in practical terms the many different ways in which we can give to the world around us - and to ourselves in the process."

... and as Robin Sharma said, "Our destinies will ultimately be defined by what we give, not what we get. This power
Jeff
Jan 24, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This covers a wide range of aspects of giving. It covers personal and social benefits of giving. It covers methods of personal giving and corporation giving.
Sohail
Nov 05, 2014 Sohail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
A book simply written, with full of real life examples and stories. This book broadened my view about giving, that it can be done in numerous ways, even smile is a good way to give.
Shereen AlAbdulrahman
عندما تصنع فارقاً إيجابيا في حياة الآخرين فإنك بذلك تصنع فارقاً إيجابيا في حياتك.
Ally Saidi
Apr 15, 2014 Ally Saidi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i think i can increase my believe through this book.
Layal Bawazeer
Aug 01, 2014 Layal Bawazeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book. Just beautiful
Mallee Stanley
Inspiring and a quick easy read
Ray
Sep 20, 2008 Ray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves:
I am just starting this one. I do give to Heifer International and Kiva, through the web. I used to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity when I lived in Las Vegas. After reading the first chapter I remember why I volunteered and I am ready to get back out there here in Georgia. I contacted the local chapter here in Macon today and I can't wait to start again. I think I am blessed. When you think about it the average American probably has more than what 75-80% of the people in the world have. It e ...more
Bibliomanic Marley
Its pretty good for those who love to enhance their skills on giving. Azim Jamal, the author, describes in many ways, who, what when where and how to spend and invest in money, time, and energy to give to others. It is basically a guidline for those who love to practice altruism, i highly reccoment the book because its a good read to increase your capacity of giving. This book teaches the more you give, the more you get, and has some of Azims experiences of giving as well ;)
Engy Moussa
Give to Get.. Give to be Happy.. Give to feel Human as you get to share people's concerns, pain, worries, thoughts, and causes.
There is no limit to giving whether it is time, money, attention, love, ideas.. anything positive you give to yourself or others will definitely (إن شاء الله) make a difference and accomplish an improvement.
Giving leads to high self-esteem, confidence and prosperity as it makes one feels needed and worthy.

24/9/2012 @6am
Engy Moussa
Lisa
May 06, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reminder to share our blessings and become more fulfilled in the process!
Naomi
Aug 19, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy encountering perspectives on generosity and generous practices that are new to me. Though Azim Jamal and Harvey McKinnon cover much of the expected ground (hey, it is necessary ground for true generosity), they also introduced me to some new ideas I plan to try. The book is structured in a way that makes it especially helpful for small groups engaging the topic of generosity, and for corporate leadership development.
Mikki Shiu
Jun 05, 2015 Mikki Shiu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspirational book about giving to yourself and reaching out to others. I like the way they incorporated their family stories in the book. Making it a personal in some level, easy to understand and can relate to.
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie: A Biography
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • What's Wrong With Homosexuality?
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Autobiography of a Schizophrenic Girl
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • The Secret Currency of Love: The Unabashed Truth About Women, Money, and Relationships
  • Yeah Dave's Guide to Livin' the Moment: Getting to Ecstasy Through Wine, Chocolate and Your iPod Playlist
  • The Unwritten Rules of Baseball: The Etiquette, Conventional Wisdom, and Axiomatic Codes of Our National Pastime
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
Azim Jamal is a leading inspirational speaker, management consultant & executive coach. He has three professional financial qualifications but made a life-changing career switch from "accounting for business" to "accounting for life" during a soul-stirring experience while volunteering in the developing world. Azim is the author of several books including The Corporate Sufi and # 1 Amazon best ...more
More about Azim Jamal...