Teach Me

Teach Me

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  2,235 ratings  ·  295 reviews
Teach Me invites readers inside an experience that fascinates everyone—an affair between a teacher and student—and gives an up-close-and-personal answer to the question: How does this happen?

The hardcover edition of Teach Me was a Booksense Fall 2006 Kid’s Pick, a TeenReads.com Best Book of 2005, and a selection for the 2006 NYPL Books for the Teen Age.

Published March 22nd 2007 by Penguin Group US

Tatiana
Wow! What an intense story. Certainly one of the most memorable YA novels I've read lately. And kudos to R.A. Nelson for channeling a high-school girl so well. Have I not checked out the author's website, I would have never guessed the book was written by a man.

"Teach Me" is a story of a love affair between a high school senior Carolina (Nine) and her poetry teacher Mr. Mann. Carolina is an excellent students who plans to study astronomy in college. She adds poetry to her science-heavy schedule...more
Melissa
Danielle Harlow
Maybe I am just too old-- but I really didn't like this book at all. I force myself to read all the way to the end of any book I start, because I feel like you really never know.. but at the end of this book-- I just wished I had a time machine to go back before I bought it. I think that, yes, obviously when you write a book, it is going to reflect your personally somewhat, but while I was reading this book- I couldn't help but feeling like the author wanted to include ALL her interests- to an e...more
Wendy Darling
What happens when a teacher ends a love affair with his student? She goes batshit crazy. But not in a way that's at all interesting or entertaining or even particularly sympathetic.
Susan
Sep 05, 2008 Susan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in student-teacher relationships
Shelves: 2008read, youngadult
priscilla
Novels about teacher/student affairs always both repulse & intrigue me, especially YA novels. The first one I read was Gone by Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson, about a post-graduation summer fling between a male senior and his pretty, young, former teacher. The story was crushingly sad & overtly sexual, & it had an overall half-baked feeling to it, unable to compensate for such a disturbing & depressing story with stellar writing.
Teach Me reverses the genders & sets the story durin...more
Heather Gray
Wow. What can I say. We've all had our crushes on teachers, but it was interesting to see it be reciprocated. Though every part of me was saying, "This is weird," or "this is so wrong," I could not help but want everything to work out ok for Mr. Mann and Nine.
It was hard to get a grasp of what Nine looked like and I was frustrated because I couldn't mentally connect to someone like her, but then I realized that we're in her head. We aren't supposed to know what she looks like. Given, sometimes...more
Sherrybaby
i picked this book up again! &+ was seriously mad at myself for taking so long to read it. This book has the perfect amount of love, lost, breakdown, survival, and friendship.

Poor nine falls head over heels for a new male teacher.
teacher, starts flirting with nine, until there in a deep passionate
love affair. But when nine turns eighteen things take an awful turn,
mr. man doesnt want to be in a relationship with her anymore!
even worse he thinks they shouldnt even be friends! just steer clea...more
Ida Smith
This book is a must-read for anyone who has experienced an overpowering, out-of-the-universe crush on a High School teacher. Unless you have an abnormally profound passion for Astronomy, the intensity of a teenage girl’s emotional spectrum or simply like the idea of Emily Dickinson on Seville Marmalade, I would probably not recommend you to read this book and rather run screaming to Mongolia. Fortunately, I think most of us can relate to that High School moment when Mr. X came sweeping through t...more
Rhiannon Hart
Carolina "Nine" Livingstone, an apt name for the daughter of a physicist, takes a poetry unit for her last semester of high school thinking it will give her a broader scope on life. It does that all right. For while Nine has plenty of smarts, she's not so accomplished when it comes to relationships. Nine falls for the new poetry teacher hard and fast, and it isn't long until Mr Mann begins to respond to Nine's hankering to be taught.

What surprised me when I picked this book up from the library s...more
Steph Su
Love, obsession, and revenge all come together in this dizzying and sensuous tale. In her senior year of high school, Carolina “Nine” Livingston falls hard for her new English teacher, the beautiful, poetry-loving Mr. Mann, who quotes Emily Dickinson all the time. Mr. Mann makes Nine feel things she didn’t even know she could feel, and she believes that the two of them will one day live together, marry, and go on their dream honeymoon.

Then a sudden announcement from Mr. Mann changes everything....more
Lynleigh
Does the teacher also fall in love with the student?
Mr. Mann does indeed fall for Carolina. You can see as their relationship grows he seems more and more intrigued by her.

Does Carolina believe her and Mr. Mann are meant to be? Yes she believes they are meant to be because of her reactions throughout the relationship. She is always beseeching him to just be with her and forget life in general besides them together.

Who truly loves and cares for Carolina as more than a friend? Her best friend Schu...more
Niki
In modern day America, the idea of romances between teacher & student are becoming more & more common. "Teach Me" by RA Nelson is a novel full of love, lust, beauty & disaster. Carolina "Nine" Livingston, a high school senior with expectations bigger than the small city in Alabama she resides in, falls head over heels for her new English teacher, Mr. Richard Mann. Mr. Mann is a genuine individual that Nine is undeniably attracted to for his looks, unique brand of humor, & love fo...more
Kaisa
I rate this 3,5/5... just so you know.

I'm shocked that I'm not giving it a higher rating. I really am!! Especially the part of me that read the first half of the book (well... that sentence doesn't make sense), because that part of me LOVED it to death!!... But yeah, then the second part of the book came along and I started getting frustrated.
Not at the writing.
NEVER at the writing.
Oh, R.A. Nelson, you write like I write in my dreams. Witty, clever, interesting... always interesting.
But your ma...more
Diana
many readers have been saying that they didn't like this book because Nine wasn't someone they could be empathetic toward.

As a nerdy anti-social loser, I felt the exact opposite.

That doesn't mean that I think it's ok to date a teacher as a minor, although they kept it secret till she was nineteen so technically, she didn't screw it up anyway. But her obsession was relatable to me. (Although my obsessions so far have been for fictional characters)

But part-way through the book, her insanity got t...more
Christina Wilder
While this book uses a familiar trope (teacher and student affair), this book stands out with its unusual structure (instead of chapters, Nelson uses sections with poetic titles) and fluid prose. There are times when almost esoteric vocabulary causes confusion, and when metaphors fall flat (an apartment is described as a pepperoni pizza), but for the most part Teach Me works.

I say it works because the characters, while somewhat fantastical, are relatable. The outrage and devastation of heartbre...more
Courtney Cook
This book is wonderful for all upcoming teachers and teens to read. Set in a small town in Alabama, Carolina becomes obsessed with her English teacher, Mr. Mann. Throughout Carolina’s senior year, the two become romantically involved, just to have Mr. Mann get married to his legitimate girlfriend before the school year is over. I really enjoyed this book. Be warned however, it is consuming! Carolina reminds me of the bored senior I was in high school and Mr. Mann reminds me of that one good-look...more
David Valliere
I should mention that I am a male high school teacher in training; my review will be biased because of this, despite my love of science-related imagery.
Teach Me is a book about a very taboo relationship. A young, female, virgin student falls for an inspired, involved, male teacher. Still, despite its inclination toward what is considered to be socially unacceptable, this novel is written very well. The main character, channeling her NASA-employed father, uses astronomical, astrological, and eve...more
Hp Tan
Mar 31, 2012 Hp Tan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested to read about Teacher/Student R/s;coming-of-age novels;hurt and recovery
Shelves: ya, reread-someday
I have been wanting to read Teach Me for a very long time now because of the premise. But because there was this whole slew of other similar-premise books, Teach Me didn't exactly stand out in any way to me. But when I saw it at the library today -finally- (I was at a different library than the one I usually go to), I felt a compulsion to borrow it despite the pile of work I have to get down to doing...someday.

Teach Me was unlike anything I'd expected. This was no cheap, trashy romance (not tha...more
Stephanie
My Summary: Carolina ("Nine") is the type of girl you love to hate: practically a genius, she doesn't even try when it comes to grades and doing well in school. Always a bit of a loner, Nine finds herself drawn to the mysterious, unconventional English teacher(Mr. Mann), who gets her to challenge her own opinion of poetry and history.

Nine thinks this little crush is one-sided until the day she finds herself in the passenger seat of his car while he confesses his feelings for her. Soon the two a...more
Krissy P (Kris)
Kimberly

Uncomfortable topic? Yes. Well written? Yes.

Carolina "Nine" begins a parent's nightmare of having an affair with her
teacher, the complicated, tortured and sensitive Mr. Mann. As the
romance intensifies, and then abruptly ends, Nine must deal with the
consequences and face who they were to each other; great loves or
mr./mrs. right now. As with most teenage breakups, this one is full of
drama, loathing, conflicted feelings and anger. But unlike most, because
of the taboo situation, it adds another laye...more
Evan
Every once in awhile I allow myself the luxury of not writing a long review. This is one of those times.

R.A. Nelson's Teach Me starts out smarter than the YA-level that it seems hellbent on lowering itself to. Nelson does an excellent job at the outset capturing the mindset of a nerdy, gawky high school girl who has fallen in love with her English teacher. The book seems credible up to and slightly beyond the point where the affair is consummated but then becomes annoying in the second half as C...more
Leah
From the start, TEACH ME enraptured me with its evocative language. R.A. Nelson has a poetic sensibility, effortlessly drawing metaphors from astrophysics in spare, luminous prose. There's something of the spirit of Emily Dickinson in Nelson's writing, which is fitting, as Dickinson's work figures prominently in the book. Even the chapter titles read like poetry. One chapter in particular stands out: titled "Heat Death of the Universe," it contains a single devastating sentence.

The plot is stra...more
Arminzerella
Emma Louise
I picked this up ages ago because it sounded interesting and promised to be something other than a typical student/teacher affair book. I'll give it that - it certainly wasn't typical. It was easy enough to read however I didn't quite like how it was written. A lot of it was written in fragments, sometimes one line a time, possibly for dramatic effect but that technique was over-used throughout the book so by the end of it, it lost all impact for me. Carolina/Nine was stark raving mad from the b...more
Janet
The synopsis? A smart, pretty, very tall loner senior joins a poetry class to kill time. The result is one teacher she can't ignore; he is everything she sees in a man and their love affair is a tension-building, romantic fantasy come true. "Giving every notion of right and wrong" their affair takes a tumble after Mr. Mann leaves her and marries. The result? A compulsive obsession with extreme focus.
The protagonist is Carolina "NINE" Livingston. A young woman who is super focused and practices o...more
Meryl
Jul 02, 2009 Meryl rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in dirty relationships and disappointment.
Maesie
Not a fan of short, abrupt sentences.

The first pages were a drag - I didn't know if it would get any better so I just went on, cringing at Nine's vocabulary. The way she talks, the way she thinks, it's all new to me, outside my comfort zone.

Until Mr. Mann showed up and it was smooth sailing from there. He really does pull you in, something about him, inside him that makes you fall, hook line and sinker. This 'older guy' who gives you all the attention, picks you out in the sea of high school st...more
Megan
The Goodreads synopsis claims that Teach Me "...invites readers inside an experience that fascinates everyone, an affair between a teacher and student, and gives an up-close-and-personal answer to the question: How does this happen?" However, I didn't find that to be the case. R.A. Nelson showed us a highlight reel of Nine's affair with Mr. Mann. We read of their first meeting in class & outside of class. We see Mr. Mann interact with Nine once at her afterschool job, once during a charity e...more
  • Flanders Point
  • Innocents
  • A Season of Eden
  • Love Lessons
  • とらドラ!
  • Kitchen Princess: Search for the Angel Cake
  • How It's Done
  • わたしに××しなさい! 2 (Watashi ni xx Shinasai! #2)
  • The Physics of Imaginary Objects
  • It Started with a Dare
  • Giving Up the V
  • Sweetest Taboo
  • Dark Angel
  • After the Moment
  • Taming the Beast
  • Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition, Vol. 2 (v. 2)
  • This Gorgeous Game
  • Things Left Unsaid: A Novel in Poems
R.A. Nelson is the author of the novels TEACH ME and BREATHE MY NAME, both nominated to the YALSA Best Books for Young Adults list. Nelson’s third book is DAYS OF LITTLE TEXAS, coming out on July 14 with Knopf. He is working on his fourth book, THROAT, slated for Fall 2010, also with Knopf.

Nelson was chosen as a Horn Book Newcomer in 2005 and his books have been recognized by the New York Public L...more
More about R.A. Nelson...
Breathe My Name Throat Days of Little Texas

“This is the thing about life I've never really understood until now: we try so hard to control it, but bad things happen anyway. The only real control is an anti-control, a letting go.” 40 likes
“There is not a name for what I'm feeling. There is no description for it.
To call it yearning would be like calling the ocean water.
Whatever this thing is, it shoves you inside itself and you can't measure its boundaries because they go too far and you don't have enough time. Or you move toward the boundaries and they move away.
There has been an earthquake in my life.
Catastrophic, civilization-ending.”