Start by marking “For the Love of Music: The Remarkable Story of Maria Anna Mozart” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Music: The Remarkable Story of Maria Anna Mozart

For the Love of Music: The Remarkable Story of Maria Anna Mozart

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  47 reviews
By the time she was 12, she was considered one of the finest pianists in Europe, but today few people know her name. Maria Mozart, like her famous brother Wolfgang, was a musical prodigy. The talented siblings toured Europe, playing before kings and empresses, were showered with gifts and favors, and lived in a whirlwind life of music and travel. They were best friends, co...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Music

Tanya W
Great book about Maria Anna Mozart and her brother Wolfgang. It seems like she should have been more famous, in today's world she may have been just as famous as her brother... how sad that her own musical composition was not preserved!

I loved the addition at the back of the book (the "long pages" the children never want to read!). that part was the part that made me a little sad... Maria had quite a life with many trials and difficulties. How amazing that Wolfgang was composing music before he...more
Nielson
Everyone knows who Mozart is, but what everyone doesn't know is that he was inspired and taught by his talented older sister. Written in Sonata form, this book sheds light on Maria Anna Mozart, also a musical prodigy. A dynamic duo, Maria and Mozart played before kings and queens, emperors and empresses; but without knowing all of the reasons, Mozart was chosen to continue performing while Maria stayed home. After marriage, moving away, dealing with the loss of her beloved Mozart, Maria Anna pla...more
Elisabeth
My favorite movie growing up was "Amadeus" and I still love it. When I read biographies on Mozart I remember his sister being mentioned here and there but I never really considered her before. This book was beautifully written and beautifully illustrated, sweet and heartbreaking. I now would like someone to make a movie about she and Wolfgang's early years together. If they could throw in a part for
F.Murray Abraham that would be okay too.
Thera Grady
Wow! Who knew that Mozart's sister was just as good a musician/composer as he was. We enjoyed this book a lot. It was interesting to read about "real" people. I did think it could have had a little better flow,(it jumped from kids to adults rather abruptly) but overall, it is very much worth the read. My 5 year old boy has asked to read this several times. We had a very interesting discussion about why Maria was not allowed to continue to perform. My 7 year old daughter did not like that this wa...more
Heidi
I'll say up front that I loved this book, so much so that I bought myself a copy. Not only are the illustrations a gorgeous combination of fabric collage, paper, and oil and acrylic on canvas, but the writing follows the parts of a piano sonata. Even those who do not particularly care for classical music know who Mozart is, but I did not realize that at first, his sister was as famous as he was. Clearly Maria had a gift for playing the piano. Unfortunately for her she lived in an era when women...more
Margo Tanenbaum
Elizabeth Rusch’s new picture book biography about Mozart’s gifted older sister, Maria Anna Mozart is a perfect book to share with budding young musicians.

Like her more famous brother, Maria Anna (usually known by her nickname, Nannerl), showed an early gift for music. Her father was a court musician, and the house was filled with music. Her brother, Wolfgang, was born when she was five, and by the time she was ten, the two of them were giving concerts all over Europe. She, too, was considered o...more
Debra Mccracken
A lovely touching older child juvenile picture book. The story of Maria Anna Mozart, the 5 year older sister of Wolgang. She was every bit as accomplished and brilliant as her younger brother, and was his first inspiration. They toured together as children, and Maria was widely regarded as one of Europe's best pianists when she was 12.
It appears that the only reason she did not go on to the same or greater accomplishements as her brother was due to the fact that she was female. So sad the limits...more
Shelli
A beautifully illustrated picture book biography on Maria Anna Mozart, Wolfgang Mozart’s loving older sister. Maria’s talents rivaled her brothers but due to finances her touring career ended shortly after it began. Her story is one of sadness, finding redemption in music. Elementary and middle school students will enjoy this lovely informational read, particularly if they are traveling down their own musical path.
Joselyn Whitney
Eureka! Silver Honor Books

Audience: This book is perfect for 2nd thru 4th graders. It is a beautiful, poetic picture book with interesting and short biographical information. It definitely can hold the attention of a younger audience, painting a poignant and lovely picture of a woman's undying love of music and her brother.

Appeal: The appeal in this book is how it is presented. The entire book is organized into short biographical passages transformed into sonata movements, with musical terms us...more
Childrens Librarian
The Picture Book Biography can be a powerful format, and this title about Maria Anna Mozart is a delightful example. The progession of Maria's life is cleverly divided into the parts of a sonata, her most commonly played musical piece, with descriptions of each movement corresponding to her life events at that time. The images are intricate works of textile and paint that draw the reader in closer and encourage them to take their time exploring the rich detail. This biography definitely led me t...more
Heidi
I always wondered what happened to Mozart's sister. I like this telling based on what little is to be had about her life. It showed great respect for Maria. And I loved seeing the close relationship she had with her brother. But best of all, I love that she kept playing. The bio in the back shows just how much she kept playing. A recommendation for any musician or lover of Mozart. This is tender and sweet, and made my musical heart a little happier.

Illustrations were nice, too! Oh, and naming th...more
Miri
Wow. Who knew that Mozart's older sister was a child prodigy before he was? She went on tours and was considered one of the finest pianists in Europe at age twelve. He used to sit for hours and listen to her practice when he was little, before he learned to play himself. They played duets on their tours, until the one where she was left behind (probably because of money issues, and of course because she was a girl it was considered improper for her to do things like play the organ, which require...more
Jenny
I didn't realize that Mozart's older sister was so very talented/gifted at the piano. Maria Anna (often referred to as Nannerl) even toured with her brother at one point. If she'd lived in a later era, she would be well recognized in her own right.

This picture book biography is broken into musical segments, which I found clever and engaging. The illustrations were wonderful. The information was interesting. My daughters were really interested in this book as well.
A simple story for children about Maria Mozart and her relationship with her brother. The artwork is interesting and lends itself well to the story. The author's notes gives more background and context to Maria's life. I appreciate that the author kept the story focused on Maria's love of music. I do wish, however, that the story included more information about women being allowed a limited role in music and 18th century life.
June
Jun 07, 2011 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: music lovers and readers about strong women
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices 2011
This is a beautiful biography! I love the musical sonata headings, with brief definitions, for the brief vignettes of Maria's life. An "Encore" at the end of the book adds some more details of Maria Anna Mozart's life. A remarkable book that will not only educate people about a remarkable woman, but also educate many readers musically. It would be a great book for Women's History month.
Christina
Gorgeously illustrated biography of Wolfgang Mozart's older sister Maria. I loved the illustrations, which incorporate collaged sheet music (by Mozart of course) and brocade/tapestry-like fabrics that match the clothing of the time. I didn't know anything about Maria Anna Mozart, so the story was fascinating. Also liked the section headings that were in musical terms ("Crescendo" etc).
Amy Carr
I didn't know Wolfgang Mozart had a sister who was his musical equal in every way. Not only does this book provide fascinating information about these 2 musical prodigy siblings, but the very structure of the book is written to imitate a "sonata" musical form. Very well-done and a beautiful introduction to the life and amazing accomplishments of this very talented woman!
Connie Klever
Nice little biography about Mozart's older sister who taught him to play piano!She and her brother spent several years of their childhood performing in concert halls until she was forced to quit since it was not considered "proper" for a young lady to do such things at the time. Good book for
Women's History, music, composers presentation or storytime.
Rachel
A fascinating historical tribute to the little known sister of Mozart. Utterly unique fabric imprint illustrations, that are as beautiful as they are creative. Clever insertions of musical terms used as symbolic story heading. This double meaning went right over my little girls heads, but I thought it was a nice educational touch as well.
Rusch, Elizabeth. For the Love of Music. (2011)

Annotation:This is a short biographical story of Maria Anna Mozart, the sister of Wolfgang Mozart, with a double spread of facts about her life.

Themes:biography, music, family

Ways to use:this story could be used in a study of biographies or about famous musicians

Recommended age:7- 16
AnnieM
This book isn't going to be for everyone. I loved that Maria Anna finally gets some credit for her work with and for her brother Mozart.

Most of the information of Maria Anna has been lost, but the information found and combined with the musical setting make it a good start to learning about a powerful woman in music.
Larissa
Beautifully illustrated/collaged pages tell the tale of Mozart's sister, Maria Ana Mozart, who was at one time more accomplished and famous than her younger brother. For my 6 year old, who knows of the child prodigy, it was facinating to learn more about his sister! Thanks to Donna for the recommendation!
Amy
I had never heard of Mozart's talented sister. Sadly, much of her music was lost to the world as she was not allowed to play in concerts alongside her brother after a certain age. Instead, she was expected to fulfill the female role of marrying and raising a family. Very nicely illustrated.
Christine
Not all ultra talented people become famous. In "For the Love of Music" we learn that Mozart's sister Maria was every bit as talented as her famous brother and had a great love of music. This is a tender story about their relationship with each other and their love of music.
Erika Conley
This biography describes the life of the famous Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's sister. It talks about the life of the two together, and also introduces musical terms and instruments. This is a great book for young people to get to know the life of a famous musician.
Teri
From a pianist's point of view, this story was utterly delightful! I LOVED the musical terms at the beginning of each page, and I loved learning about Maria Anna Mozart (whom I knew nothing about) and her famous brother Wolfgang. Really well done!
Alyson
I liked the format of the book and loved the illustrations of collage, fabric, sheet music...The story is good but depressingly realistic about what happened to a girl with talent. Her enduring love of music keeps it going though.
Kelsey
Age: 1st-2nd grade

A telling of maria Mozart that includes wolfgang but she is not shadowed by him. Well progressed plot that follows the structure of a sonata--Maria's most played music. Excellent supplementary material at the end.
Kristen
Biography of Mozart's lesser known sister, Maria, the first musical genius child of the family. Originally, she toured with her brother, before they got a little older and societal rules made his fame eclipse hers. Sad & beautiful.
Melissa
This book manages a tricky accomplishment: celebrating a young woman's talent, drive, and achievements without downplaying the disadvantages she had just because she wasn't a man.

Great art. Love the fabric collages.
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Jimi: Sounds Like a Rainbow: a Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix
  • Me, Frida
  • Just Being Audrey
  • Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People
  • Irena Sendler And The Children Of The Warsaw Ghetto
  • The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
  • The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According To Susy)
  • Orani: My Father's Village
  • She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
  • I, Galileo
ELIZABETH RUSCH is an award-winning children's book author and magazine writer. She writes both fiction and nonfiction in the areas of science, art, sports, waves, jokes, crayons, and mud — anything that catches her fancy.

Her recent title, The Mighty Mars Rovers The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), a Junior Library Guild selection, has garnered starred r...more
More about Elizabeth Rusch...
A Day with No Crayons Eruption!: Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World Volcano Rising