Start by marking “Soil Mates: Companion Planting for Your Vegetable Garden” as Want to Read:
Soil Mates: Companion Planting for Your Vegetable Garden

Soil Mates: Companion Planting for Your Vegetable Garden

Matchmaking in the garden!

In this charming guide to companion planting for your vegetable-garden favorites, you’ll learn why Broccoli Rosemary and whether Cucumber + Corn = friends with benefits. (Just watch out for Celery! Leggy and leafy, she is notoriously easygoing and will happily settle down with just about anyone, raising a ruckus in your raised beds.) Complete w
Published December 1st 2010 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Soil Mates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soil Mates

Emma Cooper
Dec 19, 2010 Emma Cooper rated it it was ok
Shelves: gardening
If you're an American then what you'll see when you open this book is a fun guide to companion planting. It aims to really simplify your planting plans by pairing vegetables with their best match, so that your plants stay happy and are less troubled by pests and disease. It's a cute matchmaking guide for plants that shows you exactly what to plant, and how far apart. It suggests other partners for each vegetable, and even gives you a recipe to use both of your harvests in the same dish.

The plant
Kara LaFleur
Apr 30, 2012 Kara LaFleur rated it really liked it
This book is a well written if not slightly cheeky guide to companion gardening, which is the practice of planting mutually beneficial plant varieties, that not only get along in the garden, but can even help each other out (sort of like Friends with Benefits). It is also beautifully designed and well illustrated, containing detailed information on their likes & dislikes as well as recipes for all the happy couples and a section on overall garden care for the organically-minded.

As a new (and
Ricky
May 04, 2014 Ricky rated it it was ok
This book gets 2 stars because:
-it has adorable pictures and a couple of useful charts (one that shows what plants like how much sun)
-also, it's a really cute idea! "soil mates" awww.
-And it's useful to know what plants compliment each other, even if just a basic overview

Unfortunately, those are all of the good things about this book. Bad things:
-HETERONORMATIVITY and SEXISM - every plant pair has a "she" and a "he," and "he." the author resists some easy anthropomorphizing, but also gives in to
Zacaro Caro
Oct 04, 2015 Zacaro Caro rated it did not like it
Shelves: garden-books
I think it's good to know which plants are good to be planted together, I like the recipes, and the plant pairings. But that's where the good things stop, it's too cheeky, too silly, too... Sexist? I think that might be it, it's written like a dating website and i had a hard time figuring out the points to be gleaned from within the "romantic" prose. It would have been cute if there was a sentence or two about how basil and tomatoes are in a love affair... And then switched from a dating show ho ...more
Amie Simon
Mar 01, 2011 Amie Simon rated it really liked it
I admit it: I totally bought this book because of the adorable cover (and interesting gimmick). It talks about planting veggies in terms of them being compatible with a "dating criteria" spin. Love matches, love triangles, turn-ons, turn-offs, etc. But beyond the cutesy shtick, there's actually USEFUL information about what to plant together for optimal results, and what plants should never share space. It's definitely inspired me to try a few new things in my garden this year, and the colorful ...more
Michelle O.
Jul 07, 2012 Michelle O. rated it it was amazing
Who would have ever thought that veggies and herbs actually have a soil mate that they are compatible with?
This book gives information on flowers, veggies, and herbs that grow well when planted by each other. I found it to be very useful information and my garden grew quite well last summer.
I read it again this spring (2012) and planted a variety of veggies and herbs/flowers with their soil mates. So far, everything is growing well.
This is a great read and has delicious recipes!
Jun 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction, garden
Some may find this book too "cute" but I found it to be clever and entertaining and helpful in planning my garden this year. The illustrations are pretty great, too. I enjoyed the way in which the author anthropomorphized each plant, giving it a personality. This book doesn't revolutionize gardening, but I did learn new things and it put a smile on my face. It's definitely worth a spot on my garden reference bookshelf.
Erin
Feb 06, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
An adorable and fun book for anyone that loves to grow things in your world. It is actually very informative about ways to increase your harvest from your garden but lacked some details that a normal gardening book would have. It was a fun read though and made me think about planting some new items in the garden this year. If only spring would come.
Angelica
Jul 24, 2015 Angelica rated it it was amazing
This book is witty, informative & contains a recipe for every vegetable it covers! Clever, creative and well done :)
Darlene
Mar 23, 2014 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This little book has so much good information I am going to buy it. It tells what to plant together to protect one plant from bugs, enrich the soil, etc. Interesting info even for non gardeners.
Sari
Jun 03, 2011 Sari rated it really liked it
Very informative and a quick, easy read. It's perfect for those of us just getting into companion planting.
Paige
Apr 21, 2015 Paige rated it liked it
A very pretty book with good information on companion planting (presented as love matches between vegetables).
Beth
Jul 12, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
My avid gardening daughter and I enjoyed this book and found it worthwhile. One to keep and refer to from time to time. I love the title too.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Susanna Franklin
Susanna Franklin rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Viviana
Viviana rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Natalie Smirnova
Natalie Smirnova rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Sweta Agrawal
Sweta Agrawal rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Aida
Aida rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Alexis
Alexis rated it liked it
May 17, 2011
Jennybeast
Jul 10, 2016 Jennybeast rated it liked it
Kind of hokey, but some really good information in it, and it's very accessible.
Joye Austin
Joye Austin rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Natlukens
Natlukens rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Missy Bethke
Missy Bethke rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
Julie Stoltz
Julie Stoltz rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Karyn Hatton
Karyn Hatton rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
M Linda Hopp
M Linda Hopp rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Elis
Elis rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014