Soil Mates: Companion Planting for Your Vegetable Garden

Soil Mates: Companion Planting for Your Vegetable Garden

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Matchmaking in the garden!

In this charming guide to companion planting for your vegetable-garden favorites, you’ll learn why Broccoli ♥ Rosemary and whether Cucumber + Corn = friends with benefits. (Just watch out for Celery! Leggy and leafy, she is notoriously easygoing and will happily settle down with just about anyone, raising a ruckus in your raised beds.) Complete...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Soil Mates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soil Mates

Emma Cooper
If you're an American then what you'll see when you open this book is a fun guide to companion planting. It aims to really simplify your planting plans by pairing vegetables with their best match, so that your plants stay happy and are less troubled by pests and disease. It's a cute matchmaking guide for plants that shows you exactly what to plant, and how far apart. It suggests other partners for each vegetable, and even gives you a recipe to use both of your harvests in the same dish.

The plant...more
Kara LaFleur
This book is a well written if not slightly cheeky guide to companion gardening, which is the practice of planting mutually beneficial plant varieties, that not only get along in the garden, but can even help each other out (sort of like Friends with Benefits). It is also beautifully designed and well illustrated, containing detailed information on their likes & dislikes as well as recipes for all the happy couples and a section on overall garden care for the organically-minded.

As a new (and...more
Erica
This book gets 2 stars because:
-it has adorable pictures and a couple of useful charts (one that shows what plants like how much sun)
-also, it's a really cute idea! "soil mates" awww.
-And it's useful to know what plants compliment each other, even if just a basic overview

Unfortunately, those are all of the good things about this book. Bad things:
-HETERONORMATIVITY and SEXISM - every plant pair has a "she" and a "he," and "he." the author resists some easy anthropomorphizing, but also gives in to...more
Darlene
This little book has so much good information I am going to buy it. It tells what to plant together to protect one plant from bugs, enrich the soil, etc. Interesting info even for non gardeners.
Amie Simon
I admit it: I totally bought this book because of the adorable cover (and interesting gimmick). It talks about planting veggies in terms of them being compatible with a "dating criteria" spin. Love matches, love triangles, turn-ons, turn-offs, etc. But beyond the cutesy shtick, there's actually USEFUL information about what to plant together for optimal results, and what plants should never share space. It's definitely inspired me to try a few new things in my garden this year, and the colorful...more
Michelle O.
Who would have ever thought that veggies and herbs actually have a soil mate that they are compatible with?
This book gives information on flowers, veggies, and herbs that grow well when planted by each other. I found it to be very useful information and my garden grew quite well last summer.
I read it again this spring (2012) and planted a variety of veggies and herbs/flowers with their soil mates. So far, everything is growing well.
This is a great read and has delicious recipes!
Some may find this book too "cute" but I found it to be clever and entertaining and helpful in planning my garden this year. The illustrations are pretty great, too. I enjoyed the way in which the author anthropomorphized each plant, giving it a personality. This book doesn't revolutionize gardening, but I did learn new things and it put a smile on my face. It's definitely worth a spot on my garden reference bookshelf.
Erin
An adorable and fun book for anyone that loves to grow things in your world. It is actually very informative about ways to increase your harvest from your garden but lacked some details that a normal gardening book would have. It was a fun read though and made me think about planting some new items in the garden this year. If only spring would come.
Megan
Here's a saucy little book on companion planting in the veggie garden. Soil Mates is a nice introduction to the concept, and the writing is entertaining, but you'll want to pick up some more detailed guides if you're really interested in trying it out. The recipes that accompany each pairing look tasty!
Beth
My avid gardening daughter and I enjoyed this book and found it worthwhile. One to keep and refer to from time to time. I love the title too.
Sari
Very informative and a quick, easy read. It's perfect for those of us just getting into companion planting.
Jennybeast
Kind of hokey, but some really good information in it, and it's very accessible.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Sunny Branick
Sunny Branick marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Hal Griff
Hal Griff marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Erin Kammer
Erin Kammer marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Dec 26, 2013
Ktln
Ktln marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013