Start by marking “Caged (The Administration, #4.3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Caged

Manna Francis

Caged (The Administration #4.3)

Another short story in The Administration series.

Toreth is bored, so Warrick takes him to the zoo.
12 pages
Published May 20th 2009

To ask other readers questions about Caged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caged

Jan 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing

Toreth at the zoo! Haha…

Caged is a spontaneous, adorable Sunday afternoon trip to the zoo with Warrick and Toreth filled with sun, smiles, observations, and revelations.

I loved seeing these two spend time just being together. Strolling, watching, and learning. Letting the day slowly unfold exhibit to exhibit with fun, hilarious, teasing ease. Manna Francis brings the day alive with people watching, childhood memories, and the warm sun on your face. But the way Toreth and Warrick watch and study
Lena♥Ribka
Feb 26, 2014 Lena♥Ribka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-novels

4, 5 stars

As I'd seen the title I thought that we would be introduced to a new game accessories in their collection of sex toys.

How I was wrong! ..

And how I am glad that I was wrong!..
Miriam
Sep 25, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories

Warrick and Toreth spend a number of hours together without having sex! A miracle!

This story starts out light, with jokes about Toreth's short attention span and ever-recurring complaints of boredom, and ends on a more serious (and rather touching) emotional note.

Francis's depiction of the caged feline reminded me of Rilke's poem "The Panther."

His gaze has grown so worn from the passing
of the bars that it sees nothing anymore.
There seem to be a thousand bars before him
and beyond that thousand no
Penny
Sep 14, 2015 Penny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-read-mm, reviewed
So simple as a Sunday spent at the Zoo, so deep as the ocean.

Warrick's and Toreth's day at the Zoo was a beautiful and sad insight into their relationship. Emotional, passionate, full of sacrifices and yet hopefull.

The caged panther is a brilliant and accurate analogy to Toreth. Caged by his past, blind to his present and condemning his future, truly sad and incredibly dangerous.

Their talks, their dialogues were absolutely fantastic. Warrick thinking about kids and what he would be willing to
DayDreamer
Toreth didn't say anything at all as they walked. However, he was whistling. Usually a good sign, if hard on the ears.

LMAO Everyone is always complaining how out of tune Toreth is.

Toreth smiled, as predatory as anything they'd seen during the day, but without the reassurance of a barrier between them.
SueC
Sep 02, 2013 SueC rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I loved this.

Caged shows us Toreth in all his complex glory. Childlike and brattish one moment and then insightful and intense the next. As for Warrick, he continues his quiet, thoughtful study and appreciation of Warrick in all his weird and wonderful ways.

And finally, finally Toreth is giving more of himself to Warrick. A few sentences of information/memories regarding his family and childhood... when will this panther learn that things have changed for him too? But W doesn't push,
Nina
Toreth is just... so absurd. And volatile. And, honestly, hilarious.
It's funny how most of my "reviews" of TA start with a mention of Toreth, because even though he tends to steal the spotlight, in my head Warrick is right next to him on a podium being showered with virtual flowers, because he's just so bloody wonderful.

Anyhow, this story was: too short, just long enough, amusing, sad, and thought-provoking (but that just sounds so universal, doesn't it? Well, it's gonna make you think about Tor
Mel
Mar 20, 2013 Mel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, e-book, favorites
A bored Toreth, a creative Warrick, children milling around, pink flamingos, a caged panther—sad, but beautiful and dangerous—and through all this: knowledge and trust and need... and total attunement to each other.
Alice
Yet another story where Toreth manages to make me both love and hate him simultaneously.

You'd think he'd be able to stop thinking about his dick during a trip to the zoo, but no! smh.

Susan
Nov 11, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it

"I'm bored"...what are you, 10? C'mon, Tor, grow up a little...

In any case, a day at the zoo proved to be kinda sweet. Cute how they took turns choosing what to see next.

And Toreth at the panther cage: guess he isn’t as oblivious to what everyone thinks of him after all.

Back to the flamingos…
Shelley
Oh BRAVO Ms Francis BRAVO!!!

photo standing-ovation.gif

I'm almost struck dumb and speechless! What a similie, what a moment! True characterisation in it's simplest form, but not simple at all!

Brilliant, beautiful and utterly heart-breaking.
Amanda
4 stars

I would give this five stars if Toreth would stop trying to pick up every single person he sees. It's driving me nuts.
Joy
Oct 04, 2012 Joy rated it it was amazing
Toreth and panther--so much said in such a short story
Elizabetta

Leave it to Manna Francis to turn an innocuous trip to the zoo into something more. Between Warrick’s R-rated daydreams as he focuses on Toreth, instead of the caged animals…

Warrick closed his eyes, imagining Toreth’s body, powdery with dried salt. Blond hair bleached a shade lighter by the sun. Blue eyes squinting against the dazzle from the sea, softening the hardness of his face. Tanning skin, with perhaps a touch of sunburn along his shoulders— just a little something to stroke soothing lot
Connie Cat
Dec 23, 2014 Connie Cat rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-couples
After a break from TA and some not-so-awesome books that I DNF'ed, its nice to be back to Toreth and Warrick and Manna's terrific writing. Love the dynamic between these two and watching their feelings for each other grow. Toreth continues to resist the relationship but he is slowly opening up in very subtle ways.
Boycop
Aug 22, 2011 Boycop rated it it was amazing
Again an incredible short story by Manna Francis. Toreth is simply a brilliantly written character and the dialogue hilarious and so spot-on. The near-psychopathic attributes of Toreth are unintentionally funny (especially when I find the same qualities in myself - woops!)

As always, try not to read this out of sequence.
Lala
First read on December 18, 2014.
Re-read on July 11, 2015.

Oh, this was brilliant.
Marlobo
My first thought at the end was: "So?" The second was that this installment was a little boring, no pun intended.

I'm sorry to dissent with most the opinions but the panther parallel didn't work for me. I reckon that a panther comparison is an always attractive standard, but in this case seemed to me that the connection is very tenuous and twisted.(view spoiler)
Rebe
Nov 07, 2014 Rebe added it
Shelves: series
In which Toreth and Warrick go to the zoo, talk about their childhoods, and, as always with Toreth, avoid saying that they're in a relationship even in the middle of doing fluffy relationship things. The most significant part of the fic is probably (view spoiler). Wasn't my favorite fic in the series by far, but it does have s ...more
Mich
Toreth is bored so you took him to the ....zoo? Come on War...how well do you know your man? I was a little disappointed that T didn't manhandle W in front of the panther cage. However, the "sharing" time in front of the flamingo pool at the end was shocking. Our Toreth does have the capacity for human emotion. how about that??
♥Xeni♥
Second read: Oct. 29, 2013

---

First read: Sep. 28, 2010

Submission from Warrick's POV. Francis really knows how to portray submission in a positive light, instead of it being a sick and depraved act, we see what happens in Warrick's mind first hand.
Trix
Feb 05, 2013 Trix rated it really liked it
That made me sad. It's glimpses like these that make me care more for Toreth.

Manna used great skill in writing this scene, as I found myself holding my breath, sensing a sort of tension and danger in the air. Toreth does indeed resemble the panther. You never know what he's gonna do next.

Danny Tyran
Warrick and Toreth went to the zoo. Warrick compared Toreth to a panther caught in a bad psychological pattern. Boring.
Johanna
Mar 31, 2012 Johanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story, m-m
As always, Manna Francis' writing is brilliant in this insightful short story that left me with a lot to think about. It amazes me, how so few pages can be so enjoyable and enchanting experience. :)
Camilla
Apr 29, 2011 Camilla rated it it was amazing

Love!! Just pure Love!

This was a trip to the zoo for Warrick and Toreth. First time for Toreth, and it ended up being a beautiful trip..

I just love Toreth more and more with every story!!
Milyd
Aug 07, 2015 Milyd rated it really liked it
As soon as I read the summary I started laughing. Toreth in a zoo? That's really not something I would see happening.

We learned a little bit more about Toreth's childhood.
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Princessgiggity
Princessgiggity rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Tamakichoi
Tamakichoi rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Fade (In The Company of Shadows, #4)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Words and Their Digestion
  • Aftermath (Glitterland, #1.5)
  • Esperanza
  • In Over His Head
  • Riding Drag
  • The Condor (Condor #1)
  • Teahouse
I've been writing original slash since 2002 — or homoerotic fiction, m/m romance, yaoi, as you prefer. Original slash is my personal term of choice because I feel it best represents my writing in terms of style and what readers can expect to find there — original fiction following the stylistic traditions of slash fanfiction. Individual stories may or may nor be sexually explicit.

More about Manna Francis...

The Administration (10 books)
  • Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1)
  • Quid Pro Quo (The Administration, #2)
  • Games & Players (The Administration, #3)
  • Control (The Administration, #4)
  • Quis Custodiet (The Administration, #5)
  • First Against the Wall (The Administration, #6)
  • For Certain Values of Family (The Administration, #7)
  • Family Values (The Administration #7.1)
  • Blood & Circuses (The Administration, #8)
  • Untitled (The Administration, #9)