Start by marking “Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking” as Want to Read:
Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking

Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking

Many who have read the New York Times bestseller The Da Vinci Code have questions that arise from seven codes-expressed or implied-in Dan Brown's book. In Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking, Darrell Bock, Ph.D., responds to the novelist's claims using central ancient texts and answers the following questions:

Who was Mary Magdalene? Was J
Published April 1st 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Da Vinci Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Da Vinci Code

Andrea
The DaVinci Code is a NOVEL. Treat it as such. It is not fact – enjoy the read. I truly did not like this book and would not recommend it to anyone. The author is condescending and writes as if he was there during biblical times and is so full of himself; plus he talks down to the reader. Bock describes the definition of theory and then complains about folks giving out their theories. But apparently his theories are valid.
Get over yourself. He says one thing then contradicts himself within the
Laura Verret
Feb 14, 2012 Laura Verret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Da Vinci Code is full of audacious claims which malign the truth of the Gospel of Christ. In Breaking the Da Vinci Code Dr. Bock answers these claims with compelling arguments and exposures. A worthwhile read.

Read my full review here!

Jess
Mar 11, 2008 Jess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-part-of-it
I got fed up reading it. I was getting angry with what the author wrote. I bet I only made it a couple chapters in.
Amanda Heck
Some good points, but what the heck!? I realize he is writing to a non-Christian audience as well, but his language is too repetitive, he leaves out crucial biblical points, and contradicts himself a lot! He'll make a few waffling comments, then finally explicitly state the answer or final point.

My notes:

Intro.
Key Points:
• The Da Vinci Code “contains claims that are crucial to culture and need to be assessed”
• “…Issues of faith and relationship to God are too important to be left to the confusin
Angela
Many who have read the New York Times bestseller The Da Vinci Code have questions that arise from seven codes--expressed or implied--in Dan Brown's book. In Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking, Darrell Bock, Ph.D., responds to the novelist's claims using central ancient texts and answers the following questions:

Who was Mary Magdalene?
Was Jesus Married?
Would Jesus Being Single be Un-Jewish?
Do the So-Called Secret Gnostic Gospels Help Us Understand Jesus?
Wha
Tiffany
2.5 stars.

I'd say this one falls in the middle of these Da Vinci Code books I'm reading; it's about even with Cracking Da Vinci's Code.

One thing, though--In rejecting the current wave of looking at other texts, such as the Gnostic texts, for how we should live (For instance, looking at the figure of Mary Magdalene and interpreting her life to mean that women were/should be more important in the Church because Jesus trusted her [as this particular claim goes] with his teaching), Bock writes, "Wha
Steve
May 04, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's almost like the DaVinci code was true. I felt there was an attempt to "cover-up" or to divert attention. There was a lot of good arguments, but there was a lot of diversion too. I love the thought that someone thought there was a need to explain away the DaVinci Code. I only read the DaVinci Code for amusement and I must say I did enjoy, even though I knew it was fiction, but now Breaking the Da Vinci Code has opened up more what if's than I had before. All-in-all, it was a good read and it ...more
Dianna
Feb 10, 2008 Dianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: religious
Book Review: nswers to the Questions Everyone's Asking, Darrell Bock, Ph.D., responds to the novelist's claims using central ancient texts and answers the following questions:

* Who was Mary Magdalene?
* Was Jesus Married?
* Would Jesus Being Single be Un-Jewish?
* Do the So-Called Secret Gnostic Gospels Help Us Understand Jesus?
* What Is the Remaining Relevance of The Da Vinci Code?

My review: Awesome and provacative while thoughtful.
Gregory
Bock's little book is an able response to The Da Vinci Code. I think studying The Da Vinci Code is valuable simply because it enables us to discuss what really happened. Too many Christians simply have no clue where the Bible came from. We need to have a response ready for when we talk to folks who have read the book or think it's true just because Tom Hanks said it.

Julie
May 01, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting, academic view of the ideas brought up in Dan Brown's book the Da Vinci Code. It gives a thorough defense of why the book is fiction and the chapter on the gnostic gospels is especially good. A great tool in defending the Christian faith against the book's claims.
David
Jan 24, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have read the DaVinci Code
Interesting discussion of the history behind some of the vents addressed in the DaVinci Code. I would recommend this to those who have read Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. It is very well researched and cited and refutes much of Brown's historical assertions.
Allyson
Jul 23, 2008 Allyson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good overview from the perspective of a Christian historian of sorts; he convincing addresses several of the issues from the novel and lays out historical evidence that clearly disproves some of the assertions in "The DaVinci Code". A great picture of the "other side" of these issues.
Bob Bingham
Dec 17, 2013 Bob Bingham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown has receded from its initial public acclaim. I read it when it first came out, and found this analysis of Brown's book enlightening and informative. Darrell Bock is well qualified to give detailed criticisms of The Da Vinci Code.
Edward
Mar 21, 2012 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made for a goo read after you read the Da Vinci Code..
Lara
Jul 10, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give it 5 stars...it's my dad's book! A good book for answers to the questions posed by The Da Vinci Code.
Kirk Domenico
Nov 09, 2014 Kirk Domenico rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Εντάξει το πάλεψα όσο άντεξα αλλά με τα βιβλία θρησκόληπτων προπαγανδιστών δεν την παλεύω.
Larry Wegman
A rather scholarly look at what's wrong with The DaVinci Code. On CDs.
Leslie Jebaraj
Aug 18, 2010 Leslie Jebaraj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Bock very simply clarifies the errors in the Code. Though a scholar, he's made sure that everyone understands the truth about Jesus.
Andrea
May 18, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every conspiracy theory in dan brown's book is spear-headed in this book. Nice food for thought book.
Vinay
Vinay rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2009
Rdpetty
Rdpetty rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
John Karp
John Karp rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2010
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2009
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Doug
Doug rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2014
Marie Bergman
Marie Bergman rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2016
  • What Have They Done with Jesus? Beyond Strange Theories & Bad History-Why We Can Trust the Bible
  • Faith and Reason
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • The Da Vinci Deception
  • Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • Hollywood Worldviews: Watching Films with Wisdom and Discernment
  • Cracking Da Vinci's Code - Digest
  • Christian Apologetics
  • The Creator and the Cosmos: How the Greatest Scientific Discoveries of the Century Reveal God
  • The New Tolerance: How a Cultural Movement Threatens to Destroy You, Your Faith, and Your Children.
  • God?: A Debate between a Christian and an Atheist
  • The Name
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
  • The Design Revolution: Answering the Toughest Questions about Intelligent Design
  • A Refutation of Moral Relativism: Interviews with an Absolutist
Darrell L. Bock is a New Testament scholar and research professor of New Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary in Dallas, Texas, United States. Bock received his PhD from Scotland's University of Aberdeen.
More about Darrell L. Bock...