Start by marking “Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn” as Want to Read:
Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn

Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The world turned upside down for city-bred Marjorie Douglas when, in 1943, her young husband moved her and baby Anne from suburban St. Paul to a western Minnesota stock ranch to help his parents stave off financial disaster. In "Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn," Douglas describes with wit and wisdom a midwestern way of life of fifty years ago.
Published September 15th 1994 by Minnesota Historical Society Press (first published September 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn

Cindy Keiger
I bought this book while in MN a few years ago. It's not typically the type of book I purchase, but since I've written my own book about moving to a farm, it seemed like it was time to read this. Let me just say, the crap she dealt with was way stinkier than the crap I deal with. Wow! This is an interesting historical read, well-written and well-lived.
Kathy
Sep 04, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when a city girl needs to leave her life there and move with her husband back to his parents' Minnesota farm to help run it following his dad's heart attack...and two years stretch into eleven? This book covers the years 1949-1960 and Marjorie Douglas does an excellent job of relating how difficult the transition was for her. She doesn't pretend that all went well and yet the reader can slowly see that Marjorie is ultimately growing to love their farm and lifestyle in Appleton, Minn ...more
Francine
May 13, 2012 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book and thinking of my mother-in-law who grew up on a farm in western Minnesota. It was fun reading about the author's real experiences in places I've heard of. I came away wishing I had known Marjorie Douglas, the author.
Leticia
Nov 04, 2009 Leticia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It was a simple story about how a city-girl had to adapt to life on a farm in the 1940s and 1950s. It was neat reading about what rural Minnesota was like during that time.
Sue
Interesting prospective of a well educated farm woman in west central Minnesota after WWII, arriving from cushioned life around Minnetonka to a "no running water" life on a farm.
Stephanie A.
Nov 17, 2014 Stephanie A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir, own-it
I love hearing about raising a family amidst the rural life in my home state, especially circa 1943-1960. It's everything you'd imagine in nostalgia from that time period.
Carol
Aug 20, 2010 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys people and reallife experiances.
A nice biography of the life of a farmwife in the 1940's and 50's. Many cute stories and insights of farmlife and ajusting to new situations. A nice read.
Ana
May 06, 2008 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ana by: Susie
I really enjoyed her writing style. Having lived in Minnesota for 2 years, made it more special.
Romie
Juniper
Juniper rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Shirley J
Shirley J rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Paula Peterson
Paula Peterson marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Kitty Haas
Kitty Haas rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Marnie
Marnie added it
Feb 14, 2016
Michelle Hueg
Michelle Hueg rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Sonja Cannell
Sonja Cannell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 16, 2016
Pug Cake
Pug Cake marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Marilyn Rochat
Marilyn Rochat marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Karrie Letich
Karrie Letich marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Chery
Chery added it
Oct 19, 2015
Heather Stuart
Heather Stuart rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Cassia
Cassia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015