Start by marking “The Count Of Eleven” as Want to Read:
The Count Of Eleven

The Count Of Eleven

Jack Orchard seems a normal family man - apart, perhaps from his excessive interest in numerology. When he gets into deep trouble, both he and his wife seem close to cracking. Then, by chance, he receives a chain letter promising good fortune, but things get even worse.
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Count Of Eleven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Count Of Eleven

Bondama
Jul 29, 2010 Bondama rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely unusual book for the "infamous" Ramsey Campbell.

It follows a logical story, and the horror does not take any Lovecraftian liberties, or follow any type of Lovecraft shout outs.

I completely enjoyed this book, but because I love Campbell, and have always adored his books, I hesitated before I gave it 5 stars simply because it I didn't want anyone who read this review be under the impression that Campbell got five stores when he was fairly restrained in his writing, without al
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
A serial killer novel, told from the point of view of a man who is pushed by a string of misfortunes and a certain propensity for obsessive behaviour, into a series of ghastly murders. It doesn't have the supernatural aspects of Campbell's usual work, but it draws on his strong feel for character and gradual immersion into the macabre. Effective, but not essential.
Sharon
Jun 29, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book showed up in our office's informal lending library, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I like psychological thrillers, and this seemed like a good one.

Jack Orchard is obsessed with numerology, and thinks of eleven as his lucky number. When he is sent a chain letter, with instructions to send it on to 13 people in order to "turn ill luck into good," he decides to do just that. His family is trying to buy a larger house, and he figures it can't hurt.

Well, all sorts of misfortunes start to
Mandy
Jan 08, 2012 Mandy rated it it was amazing
I've always been a big fan of Ramsey Campbell's supernatural fiction, less fond of his serial-killer phase, but I was more than pleased with this one. Yes, it's showing its age a little, as shown by the copious references to specific computer systems, not to mention the fact that the main character runs a video library, but it doesn't detract from the story in too much. The credit card incident wouldn't happen nowadays, and he'd certainly not have got away with his antics at customs, but if you ...more
Pam Baddeley
This is a psychological 'horror' story rather than the supernatural type that makes up the majority of Campbell's work. An ordinary but rather irritating man who continually cracks jokes, suffers misfortune and, due to his obsession with numbers, is drawn into a spiral of criminal behaviour as he tries to head off the bad luck that he believes is due to a chain letter that he sent on - basically, if the recipients failed to act, he thinks bad luck rebounds onto him. It does become fairly repetit ...more
Shawn Leslie Dixon
I can say that never have I read a book with such an obnoxious hero .
BUT, it was a pretty great idea. It's not easy to enjoy the murderer, sure bring in the family, the bad luck, the shitty circumstances, that all helps in creating a sympathetic nut. Starting with a character so annoying and absurd makes the jump to relating and even rooting for the murderous nut easier.
On that account, well down.
The Count of Eleven is short and fun, there are some thrills and some blood. The tension is thick an
Boris Cesnik
Jan 02, 2015 Boris Cesnik rated it did not like it
Sorry Ramsey, for me this was a big NO.

No for the characters, quite non-believable and lame
No for the plot, weak and not very well thought through
No for the suspense, almost non-existent until the very end
No for the writing, not your usual pompous, archaic and languid style
No for the story, too thin
No for the reading, boring and time wasting

It gets saved just at the en by the ending itself. It's a YES for the unexpected finale.
Anne Hayes
Jul 17, 2012 Anne Hayes rated it it was amazing
This is an all time favourite story for me... Classic horror. I simply love the concept and the way the author brings the main character to life as he tries to cope with misfortune and fails miserably. The mess he creates spirals out of control in short order. It may be out of print but you can obtain a copy from bigger online book distributors.
Jb Lee
Aug 27, 2012 Jb Lee rated it it was amazing
For the most part I prefer supernaturally based horror fiction, but this serial killer tale works. The much-put-upon Jack Orchard is my favorite of Ramsey Campbell's various monsters, not least because he's a darkly comic one, and an oddly sympathetic character... not unlike Sondheim's Sweeney Todd. I don't imagine you'd ever get a song outta Jack, though...
Lori Schiele
Jun 12, 2013 Lori Schiele rated it did not like it
The main antagonist in this book was likened to Hannibal Lector ("Silence of the Lambs") but I found no similarities between the two characters what-so-ever. The storyline dragged on and on and was generally vague in a number of places, making it difficult to follow... until I finally gave up on following it at all.
Eeeby
Apr 23, 2013 Eeeby rated it really liked it
I read this book over 10 years ago but have to say the story really stuck with me. Certainly some of the reference points are a little dated but this does not detract from the fact that the story is well written from start to finish.

Perhaps the count could swim........
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2008
Zakalwe
Zakalwe rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Matthew Davis
Matthew Davis rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Non Corporeal
Non Corporeal rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Dragondrool
Dragondrool rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Paul Doody
Paul Doody rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horror
Y-alex
Y-alex rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2013
Andy Bennison
Andy Bennison rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Tyrion
Tyrion rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
David
David rated it did not like it
May 28, 2013
Logan
Logan rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Debra
Debra rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2010
Neil
Neil rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
John McIlveen
John McIlveen rated it liked it
May 09, 2009
Lissa
Lissa rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Emile Foxhill
Emile Foxhill rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Book Cover Image and Book Details 4 12 Jan 01, 2016 05:32AM
  • The M.D.
  • The New Lovecraft Circle
  • Dread
  • Fruiting Bodies and Other Fungi
  • Wildwood
Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...