Start by marking “Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart about Money” as Want to Read:
Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart about Money

Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart about Money

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Now updated?the classic guide that teaches women how to take control of their own finances
When this groundbreaking yet compassionate book was first published ten years ago, it lifted a veil on women's resistance to managing their money, revealing that many were still waiting for a prince to rescue them financially. In this revised edition, which reflects our present-day
Published April 1st 2007 by Penguin Books (first published April 24th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Charming Isn't Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Charming Isn't Coming

Amy
starts out lame, but picks up. A good overview for any female before investing &/or taking charge of one's financial situation. Left me wanting much more information, but accomplished the goal of motivating me to begin.
Nicole
Damned right he's not coming. Where have you been?

Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money, by Barbara Stanny, is a book that is leveled at empowering women (regardless of whether or not they have Prince Charming) to know their finances and be smart about investing.

This book was incredibly informative and a great read for any woman who has yet to take control of her finances, investments in particular. It addresses the actual barriers that women feel with investing, but mor
Gina
This book is an excellent beginning resource for any woman that wants to finally understand money, and how to start exercising control over her financial life.

The book is written by the daughter of one of the H&R Block founders who admits she knew absolutely nothing about money, finance, or investing until her husband runs off after trashing her trust fund, leaving Barbara to face the IRS alone and uninformed. This book is Barbara's story about how she and other women began their journey to
Michelle Powers
Barbara Stanny got millions from her father, one of the Blocks of H&R Block. When she married, her husband took control of her money. Through a series of bad investment, and without her knowledge, he lost much of it. They eventually divorced and he moved out of the country. Then the IRS came to see her about some tax returns (imagine, the daughter of one of the Blocks!). Of course, since the husband was no longer in the US, she was the only one held responsible. Stanley decided she needed to ...more
Maggie
This is a very good book to help motivate a person into looking at her finances rather than hoping someone else will take care of it. I haven't done anything yet, but I feel very motivated to get over my fears and figure out what is going on with the investments I have had & never looked at and the cash that is just sitting there making no money. I do want to retire one day and continuing the way I have will not get me there!
TJ
I swear it didn't honestly take me this long to read, but since it was an actually book instead of one of my several e-reader apps I kept forgetting it elsewhere. Intriguing story about Barbara I'm glad she shared her story all the gritty details. Including some that would have landed me in jail or the most wanted list. She gave a lot of smart information about learning how to manage your money. The Prince Charming fantasy we are taught from a young age does not apply here. It's all about educat ...more
Julie
Sep 08, 2013 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young women out on their own for the first time
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
This book is the equivalent of having your hand held through your first day at school. It's repetitive in its assurances that you are definitely not stupid and money is hard for all women to get a handle on, but for someone who has never been expected to really have a handle on anything, those kind of assurances have their place. I wish it had been a little shorter on the so-called "psychological hurdles" and longer on the actual financial advice that's mostly contained in the last 50 pages. It' ...more
Aidenpants
This was a motivational kick-in-the-butt. It helped me understand my inertia and stumbling blocks.
Oblongata
This book was so enlightening. Being of a young age, I know now when getting older I must take great responsibility for financial matters. Also investing in a couple of things here and there.
Jamie
Great motivational and inspirational book to encourage women, including myself, to learn about and take control of our money. Never had an interest in learning economics or about the stock market until this book and it feels great to actually have some idea what people are talking about when they talk money.
Cindy
There were a couple of interesting points, but overall this book was not for me. This is more geared towards women that have money and need to take control over it. The author is the daughter of one of the founders of H&R Block and so it was hard to sympathize or relate with what to her were hard times.
Ann
My knowledge on investments was really sketchy until I stumbled upon this book- simple to understand, yet powerfully illustrated and explained, I feel more empowered and confident to make sound investment decisions, and well..sound mistakes too.
A great read any day, and a definite must-have!
Linda
Dec 18, 2007 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every woman
This book encourages women to become aware of their finances and get involved in taking financial responsibility. It is based on the premise that the only person a woman can depend on for financial security is herself.
Patti
Aug 27, 2008 Patti rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patti by: Amy Lombardo
This book was okay. It was useful for someone who is just starting out handling her finances, but honestly it was repetitive and I found myself unable to relate to some of the problems she addressed.
Rachel
This is an excellent book that addresses the many issues women have about money and being financially savvy and financially independent. It includes many great resources. I would totally buy this book.
Leslie
This was a great book! The focus of the book is not a man saving the financial day. This book is about the relationship women have with money and the beliefs they have about their financial future.
Rose
Good read for women in an income rut. I applaud the author for making a fortune on common sense that most women refuse to acknowledge for themselves.
Toni
Daughter of wealth explains how she comes to the realization that she and she only must control her wealth. Every woman should read it.
Nina
Oct 17, 2007 Nina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I love this book!!!

It's necessary to wake yourself up from dreams.
And this book can help you...to be more realistic.
Linda
Ok, but not nearly as good as her Overcoming Underearning. Now I just have to put it all into practice!!! :)
Cheryl
Touches more on reason women fear being financially competent than how to become an investor.
Denali
Go ahead and laugh at me but the parts of this that weren't awkwardly sexist were useful.
Annalyn
This is an AMAZING finance book. Being a single woman, I got a lot out of it
Deborah Sodeke
Great resources for getting motivated about personal finance and investing.
Karen
This book has changed my whole outlook, I'm finally taking charge!
Jen
Should be mandatory premarital reading. :)
Edy
Didn't learn anything too revolutionary.
Lisa
Aug 03, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I own this book
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • Manners
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • Once Upon a Car
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Hot (broke) Messes: How to Have Your Latte and Drink It Too
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life Overcoming Underearning(R): A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life Sacred Success: A Course in Financial Miracles Sacred Success Guided Exercises For Overcoming Underearning