Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.

Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  98 reviews
From one of the leading experts in viral and social marketing-market your business effectively to today's customersFor generations, marketing has been hypocritical. We've been taught to market to others in ways we hate being marketed to (cold-calling, flyers, ads, etc.). So why do we still keep trying the same stale marketing moves?

"UnMarketing" shows you how to unlearn th...more
Published August 13th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published August 6th 2010)

Ruth Seeley
There are a lot of other 'uns' one could apply to this book: unImpressive, unEdited, and unDerwhelming. This is far more a book about Scott Stratten's pet peeves relating to customer service than it is a book about marketing in the 21st Century, and there are some truly egregious errors in it, as, for instance, when he attempts to relate a bad customer experience he's had at Future Shop and introduces it as a bad customer experience he's had at Best Buy. You might be charmed by the mistakes he r...more
Dave Fleet
If you’re a regular Twitter user, Scott Stratten can be hard to miss at times (ok, always). The self-proclaimed “Jedi for social media,” with a big online mouth and an even bigger following, Scott provokes strong reactions from people. I’ve known him for a while and, while I always enjoy sparring with him, I consider him a friend so readily agreed to take a look at his new book – UnMarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging – when he offered to send me an advance version.

Right from the first word...more
William Arsenis
UNMARKETING is one of those rare books that simply changes you.

This isn’t just a book about doing business the right way. It’s about how to truly relate to people when doing business. To focus on what others want. It’s about how to engage.

Every chapter is packed with eye-opening information, a lot of which goes against old-school marketing concepts that have been so deeply engrained in our minds.

He demonstrates directly, and not just with past examples, but in the most effective way conceivable:...more
Jen Angel
Really, it was OK. This book comes across as a mix between "how to use Twitter (and why Scott loves it)" and "how good customer service is better than traditional marketing." Neither of these things is new or exciting for me. A lot of it is a personal narrative of how Scott has built his career over the years. There *are* some great case studies of how businesses have used Twitter successfully. Maybe it's better for someone who is new to the field or just getting interested in how to use social...more
Jodi
really, really liked this book. Both because I bought in to what Scott was saying, but also because I just really dig short chapters. They make me feel like I’m reading faster or something. Anyhoo, the book really just focuses on his ideas about how and why marketing is different these days, which can be summed up in the phrase (borrowed from Field of Dreams) “build relationships and sales will come”. He also offers up some thoughts on how you, too, can get out there, talk to people and find you...more
Erika
When your boss asks, "Why do we need social media?" just hand them this book.

I liked how personable this book was. About halfway through the book, Stratten mentions that he was using voice-to-text software to write it, which makes all the more sense. If you've heard him speak before, you know exactly what this read will be like.

From someone who is incredibly new to the industry, who never really understood marketing from a traditional standpoint, a lot of the examples and tips seemed very funda...more
Tanner
"There is a difference between being present on social media and having a presence." This is one of the few key points I'll remember from this book. The rest is largely forgettable.

Heavy on opinion, light on research, UnMarketing reads like fifty-five recommendations on what's worked for Scott Stratten so far. Stratten makes claims about best practices in social media marketing and backs them up occasionally with data. But be prepared to hear something like this ad nauseum: "This experience suc...more
Kurt Gielen
Loved the time movie, loved the cover of the book, loved the beginning and then it was all downhill from there. Nothing new, no great insights and even some stuff I totally disagree with.

Unless you're completely new to the new style of marketing, skip this book.

If you are, I hope you can live with his tone. If you can, then enjoy!
Amanda Skinner
Scott Stratten has written an incredibly approachable and user-friendly book on a subject that can be a bit daunting.

Social media has become such an integral part of so many of our lives. It is a fantastic place to shape or individual brands, and it would only make sense that commercial brands try to communicate with us through the same channels.

"Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging" is a fantastic guide for anyone who has ever wondered why no one "likes" them online. Through real world...more
Erica
Though I'm not a fan of this type of book, I will admit I enjoyed this one, probably because Mr. Stratten has a fun, conversational way of writing and is mostly humorous. I didn't start rolling my eyes at his ego and general ridiculousness until page 66 - a huge accomplishment considering I'm usually over the author by the end of the introduction.
I would argue that the topic is not actually "unmarketing". There is no lack of marketing or branding in this book. It's all about creating one's busin...more
Ivan Ralchev
Книгите, посветени на бизнеса, обикновено са скучни.
Не и тази. Скот успя да ме грабне още с първите страници - със разумните забележки, свежите идеи и добре подредените и смислени аргументи. Представя маркетинга така, както винаги съм мислел за него - като нещо повече от "бутай, а те да хващат, ако могат". Повечето му идеи са съвсем ясни и не е трудно да осъзнаеш силата им. Други ми се струват не на място, но пък и тяхното време ще дойде.

На моменти се съсредоточава твърде много върху детайлите,...more
Erin
I'm a recent graduate in marketing and management. I didn't want my education to stop with college, though, so I immediately went to the book store to start picking up some books to continue learning. I'm not going to lie, my biggest draw to this book was the style of the cover and the title. I was very keen on the idea of relationship building vs old-school selling techniques.

While I admit that there was an over abundance of twitter talk in here (I get that it is simply the authors favorite so...more
Derek McPhee
Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine, living far and away overseas, recommended that I read this book. He said, though I can't remember verbatim, something along the lines of: "If you don't read this book, and ever plan on going into business for yourself, you are a moron."

Again, I cannot remember his exact words - the impression was strong and I, being the slave to recommendations that I am, requested the book and it arrived in due time. I sat down, read the book, and due to its bite-sized...more
Steven Aitchison
I've been reading the blog since last year and decided to buy this after a recommendation from a friend. What comes across immediately is that Scott knows what he is talking about, he has been there, he has made the same mistakes with facebook, twitter, LinkedIn and blogging as all of us have. However, what differentiates him is he was willing to keep going and learn about all the social media sites and use them as a conversational tool, which is what it was made for, not as an advertising tool....more
Thom
UnMarketing is a cross between "how best to use Twitter (and why Scott loves it)" and "why good customer services is better than traditional marketing". For Scott, business is about personal connections, and that comes across in both messages. This book has many short chapters, and he uses a lot of personal anecdotes to emphasize his points. In places, there were editing errors or just plain mistakes, but they didn't detract a ton from the overall message.

Points I took away include: Always respo...more
Matt
Yes. Yes. Yes.

From website, to newsletter, to trade shows, UnMarketing explains how to stop your old push marketing habits and really embrace marketing engagement.

Incite-full, witty, and chick full of real examples, UnMarketing has tips and tricks that could help any of us harness the power and build stronger customer and prospect relationships.
Daniel G.
The idea behind UnMarketing is that people don't want to have your interests pushed down their throat, they want to be engaged. People want to connect to real people, who they trust and like.

This book is almost an etiquette guide to popularity on Twitter, pointing out the pot holes and showing you which gear to use as you chug up the mountain of using social media to build relationships.

It's irreverent and unconventional — think Dan Kennedy meets social media. This makes for a fun read.

Even thou...more
Chris
Unmarketing, despite being term that I still don't get, does a great job at nailing home a few points over and over. Business is about personal connections. People don't just do business with others because it sounds nice. Would you let someone you don't know just watch your kids because they charge a fair price? Probably not, since you don't trust them. It's like that with all business and that's how personal connections are formed.

Don't take actions just for return on investment (ROI) but inst...more
Nick
I think every business owner needs to read this. In fact, every consumer should read this because it tells what the next wave of marketing looks like. Scott (the author) does a great job being himself as he talks about "going viral", building an online presence, and a range of other topics.

The most valuable thing I took from this book that I don't want to forget:

When you write a blog or article or newsletter, use the 3 P's:

1: Point. Make your point.
2: Prove. Use example to illustrate and defend...more
Mark Richmond
This was an eye opener to an industry that I have been involved in for over 18 years, Marketing! For quite a while now I have been doing what I thought was necessary to boost the social media aspect of my work, until I read Mr. Stratten's book. I was going through motions but not hitting the mark, such as, not concentrating so much on the sale of the item, but the person who's going to buy, and recommend the product. Twitter is a huge answer to many issues in getting to know the user end of what...more
Lain
Really adored this book -- so many takeaways! My copy is covered with underlining and post-its, and I know I'll refer to it again and again. What kept it from being five stars is the editing. Stratten says he recorded much of the book and had it transcribed, and that comes through loud and clear. Stratten's voice and personality shine, but there are many typos and errors that a careful editor should've caught. While it doesn't take away from the content, it is distracting, and something you'd ho...more
Heather
This book covers everything marketing-related, which is good but wasn't what I expected. A lot of the in-person side, or the running teleseminars, doesn't apply to me at this time. His description of what makes something go viral, though (funny or WOW or emotional) was great.

I was disappointed with the number of typos and grammar issues in the book. I know he dictated a lot of it, but it needed a clean-up from its editor before being published.

Still, I will remember its focus on building relatio...more
Thomas Walker
Stop Marketing, Start engaging,

that is the premise of this book and what a great foundation to build upon. Too often people are concerned with "How do I Facebook?" Or "How do I twitter" but forget that using these platforms are only an means to an end of communicating on a one on one level with the people who they call customers.

Scott Stratten does an excellent job of using real world examples of what works, and what doesn't, and really explains that "Marketing" in the digital age is just givi...more
Amanda
Sep 19, 2013 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: marketing professional, business owners, vp's
Recommended to Amanda by: my friend Shannon
I heart Scott Stratten. I feel like if we knew each other we would be BFF's.

My friend borrowed me her copy of the book. I wasn't super excited to read it. After doing marketing all day I wasn't sure I wanted to spend my evenings reading about it. I've read other marketing books and they are usually pretty boring. However, with this book I was hooked from chapter one. (He had me at Chapter One). I laughed out loud frequently while reading this. It was really relatable to my experinces. He had suc...more
Zayne Ling
Good read. I can totally feel the emotion scott is trying to tell in his book.
Stephanie Marzuola
Gave me a fresh perspective on the "social" part of "social media"
Sally
I would have to agree with the reviewers who said it was like a series of blog posts. For that, I could just sit at my computer. A book should have a thesis, order, a purpose that is reflected in the table of contents, and easily searched and navigated by an index. The index in this case is more like a concordance and less like an index because the text is so loosely organized, there is little muscle for the index to provide.

This book undoubtedly has some great stories and suggestions in it, but...more
Hugh McBride
Anyone who works in the online marketing field, or who desires to learn more about the power of effective professional relationships in the digital world, can benefit from spending a few hours in the company of Scott Stratten's "UnMarketing."

Featuring excellent insights on both the macro/theoretical and micro/practical levels -- and presented in an engaging and highly reader-friendly format -- "UnMarketing" answers perhaps the two most important questions facing anyone in the online marketing f...more
Calvin Lai
The value you get from the book will vary depending on how much you know. But for me, the magnetic part was Scott's voice. He shakes, slaps and seduces you away from poor marketing approaches. His insights haunt you. In short, he reminds you to minimize both the experience and trust gap.
Max Ong Zong Bao
Vastly different marketing book that focus more on social media by creating high touch and various customer experiences to market their products or services instead of the traditional marketing way.
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Thank You Economy
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six Figure Income
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization (Que Biz-Tech)
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
QR Codes Kill Kittens: How to Alienate Customers, Dishearten Employees, and Drive Your Business Into the Ground The Book of Business Awesome: How Engaging Your Customers and Employees Can Make Your Business Thrive Sosyal Medyada Yapılan Müthiş İşler - Sosyal Medyada Yapılan Vasat İşler Thank Goodness It's Monday: A Guide to Enjoying Work, Home, and the Drive in Between Unselling: Stop Selling. Start Connecting.

“Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer.” 8 likes