Start by marking “Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.” as Want to Read:
Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.

Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,422 ratings  ·  116 reviews
From one of the leading experts in viral and social marketing-market your business effectively to today's customersFor generations, marketing has been hypocritical. We've been taught to market to others in ways we hate being marketed to (cold-calling, flyers, ads, etc.). So why do we still keep trying the same stale marketing moves?

"UnMarketing" shows you how to unlearn th
Published August 13th 2010 by Wiley (first published August 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unmarketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unmarketing

Ruth Seeley
There are a lot of other 'uns' one could apply to this book: unImpressive, unEdited, and unDerwhelming. This is far more a book about Scott Stratten's pet peeves relating to customer service than it is a book about marketing in the 21st Century, and there are some truly egregious errors in it, as, for instance, when he attempts to relate a bad customer experience he's had at Future Shop and introduces it as a bad customer experience he's had at Best Buy. You might be charmed by the mistakes he r ...more
William Arsenis
UNMARKETING is one of those rare books that simply changes you.

This isn’t just a book about doing business the right way. It’s about how to truly relate to people when doing business. To focus on what others want. It’s about how to engage.

Every chapter is packed with eye-opening information, a lot of which goes against old-school marketing concepts that have been so deeply engrained in our minds.

He demonstrates directly, and not just with past examples, but in the most effective way conceivable:
Dave Fleet
If you’re a regular Twitter user, Scott Stratten can be hard to miss at times (ok, always). The self-proclaimed “Jedi for social media,” with a big online mouth and an even bigger following, Scott provokes strong reactions from people. I’ve known him for a while and, while I always enjoy sparring with him, I consider him a friend so readily agreed to take a look at his new book – UnMarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging – when he offered to send me an advance version.

Right from the first word
Jen Angel
Really, it was OK. This book comes across as a mix between "how to use Twitter (and why Scott loves it)" and "how good customer service is better than traditional marketing." Neither of these things is new or exciting for me. A lot of it is a personal narrative of how Scott has built his career over the years. There *are* some great case studies of how businesses have used Twitter successfully. Maybe it's better for someone who is new to the field or just getting interested in how to use social ...more
W. Whalin
This book is loaded with great advice on how to engage customers and connect with them. Each chapter is a mini-case study and easy to grasp and understand--but more importantly apply to your own marketing and business. I loved the chapter on Lush (52) and engagement in the retail stores.

I highly recommend this book as a valuable read.
really, really liked this book. Both because I bought in to what Scott was saying, but also because I just really dig short chapters. They make me feel like I’m reading faster or something. Anyhoo, the book really just focuses on his ideas about how and why marketing is different these days, which can be summed up in the phrase (borrowed from Field of Dreams) “build relationships and sales will come”. He also offers up some thoughts on how you, too, can get out there, talk to people and find you ...more
When your boss asks, "Why do we need social media?" just hand them this book.

I liked how personable this book was. About halfway through the book, Stratten mentions that he was using voice-to-text software to write it, which makes all the more sense. If you've heard him speak before, you know exactly what this read will be like.

From someone who is incredibly new to the industry, who never really understood marketing from a traditional standpoint, a lot of the examples and tips seemed very funda
"There is a difference between being present on social media and having a presence." This is one of the few key points I'll remember from this book. The rest is largely forgettable.

Heavy on opinion, light on research, UnMarketing reads like fifty-five recommendations on what's worked for Scott Stratten so far. Stratten makes claims about best practices in social media marketing and backs them up occasionally with data. But be prepared to hear something like this ad nauseum: "This experience suc
Amanda Skinner
Scott Stratten has written an incredibly approachable and user-friendly book on a subject that can be a bit daunting.

Social media has become such an integral part of so many of our lives. It is a fantastic place to shape or individual brands, and it would only make sense that commercial brands try to communicate with us through the same channels.

"Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging" is a fantastic guide for anyone who has ever wondered why no one "likes" them online. Through real world
Courtney Dishart
Most of the book is forgettable and poorly written. While I appreciate Strattan's Twitter evangelism, countless chapters on customer service and swag he got as a result of his brand advocacy grew tiresome.
Jamie Belanger
A really interesting perspective on social media with a big emphasis on the author's obvious love for Twitter. Not sure I can call it life- or business-altering, but it was certainly an interesting read with stories of good (and bad) customer service, and lots of humorous footnote comments.

I think this is worth reading for anyone who runs their own business or works in customer service. Although I still have trouble seeing Twitter as anything but a room filled with the overwhelming noise of mill
Enjoyable read with some helpful insights into social media, authenticity in marketing, and the importance of consistency in all aspects of your business. A significant portion of the book is about the author's experience using Twitter as a tool for engaging others, which I found insightful since Twitter is the one social network I've never really engaged with.

Be warned that there are quite a few errors in the book--almost like it was printed UnEdited (sorry, I had to). But I wouldn't let that
Though I'm not a fan of this type of book, I will admit I enjoyed this one, probably because Mr. Stratten has a fun, conversational way of writing and is mostly humorous. I didn't start rolling my eyes at his ego and general ridiculousness until page 66 - a huge accomplishment considering I'm usually over the author by the end of the introduction.
I would argue that the topic is not actually "unmarketing". There is no lack of marketing or branding in this book. It's all about creating one's busin
Ivan Ralchev
Книгите, посветени на бизнеса, обикновено са скучни.
Не и тази. Скот успя да ме грабне още с първите страници - със разумните забележки, свежите идеи и добре подредените и смислени аргументи. Представя маркетинга така, както винаги съм мислел за него - като нещо повече от "бутай, а те да хващат, ако могат". Повечето му идеи са съвсем ясни и не е трудно да осъзнаеш силата им. Други ми се струват не на място, но пък и тяхното време ще дойде.

На моменти се съсредоточава твърде много върху детайлите,
I'm a recent graduate in marketing and management. I didn't want my education to stop with college, though, so I immediately went to the book store to start picking up some books to continue learning. I'm not going to lie, my biggest draw to this book was the style of the cover and the title. I was very keen on the idea of relationship building vs old-school selling techniques.

While I admit that there was an over abundance of twitter talk in here (I get that it is simply the authors favorite so
Derek McPhee
Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine, living far and away overseas, recommended that I read this book. He said, though I can't remember verbatim, something along the lines of: "If you don't read this book, and ever plan on going into business for yourself, you are a moron."

Again, I cannot remember his exact words - the impression was strong and I, being the slave to recommendations that I am, requested the book and it arrived in due time. I sat down, read the book, and due to its bite-sized
Steven Aitchison
I've been reading the blog since last year and decided to buy this after a recommendation from a friend. What comes across immediately is that Scott knows what he is talking about, he has been there, he has made the same mistakes with facebook, twitter, LinkedIn and blogging as all of us have. However, what differentiates him is he was willing to keep going and learn about all the social media sites and use them as a conversational tool, which is what it was made for, not as an advertising tool. ...more
Hakan Jackson
This book could have easily have been an internet edicate book. Sure it's focused on businesses, but a lot of this is applicable to individuals too. Scott Stratten does a great job at pulling together a lot of what we all hate about social media and offers alternatives. The only part of the book where it started to get dull is when he gives tips for speaking gigs. All in all this book is fresh with a crucial perspective and is full of humor.
UnMarketing is a cross between "how best to use Twitter (and why Scott loves it)" and "why good customer services is better than traditional marketing". For Scott, business is about personal connections, and that comes across in both messages. This book has many short chapters, and he uses a lot of personal anecdotes to emphasize his points. In places, there were editing errors or just plain mistakes, but they didn't detract a ton from the overall message.

Points I took away include: Always respo
Jill Rumley
Even though this book was written a few years ago, much of the advice is relevant to today's social media marketing. I enjoyed the humor but could have done without some of the "rant" chapters that didn't follow the theme of the book. Overall, I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to learn about tweeting and successful customer engagement.
Brad Carl
This book should be read by anyone who uses Social Media for business. Well, ANYONE who uses Social Media for anything. Engage, engage, engage. There is too much noise and blah blah on Facebook and Twitter. It's very difficult to separate yourself from the crowd. How do you do that? Be an actual person and have conversations.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

From website, to newsletter, to trade shows, UnMarketing explains how to stop your old push marketing habits and really embrace marketing engagement.

Incite-full, witty, and chick full of real examples, UnMarketing has tips and tricks that could help any of us harness the power and build stronger customer and prospect relationships.
Daniel Taylor
The idea behind UnMarketing is that people don't want to have your interests pushed down their throat, they want to be engaged. People want to connect to real people, who they trust and like.

This book is almost an etiquette guide to popularity on Twitter, pointing out the pot holes and showing you which gear to use as you chug up the mountain of using social media to build relationships.

It's irreverent and unconventional — think Dan Kennedy meets social media. This makes for a fun read.

Even thou
Unmarketing, despite being term that I still don't get, does a great job at nailing home a few points over and over. Business is about personal connections. People don't just do business with others because it sounds nice. Would you let someone you don't know just watch your kids because they charge a fair price? Probably not, since you don't trust them. It's like that with all business and that's how personal connections are formed.

Don't take actions just for return on investment (ROI) but inst
I'm not a business owner, nor do I engage in marketing (yet), but this book intrigued me and I ended up enjoying it. The writing was unpretentious, the stories interesting, and I found myself agreeing with almost everything he said. Would recommend.
Wanda Woemmel rohlfing
Great advice. If a person thinks your trying to sell something they will usually clam up. Make a friend, share your passion... don't just make a buck. Good book.
Jeremy Goh
Simply described: Genuine and authentic personal corporate comms sized down into a easy to concise and actionable steps.
I think every business owner needs to read this. In fact, every consumer should read this because it tells what the next wave of marketing looks like. Scott (the author) does a great job being himself as he talks about "going viral", building an online presence, and a range of other topics.

The most valuable thing I took from this book that I don't want to forget:

When you write a blog or article or newsletter, use the 3 P's:

1: Point. Make your point.
2: Prove. Use example to illustrate and defend
Mark Richmond
This was an eye opener to an industry that I have been involved in for over 18 years, Marketing! For quite a while now I have been doing what I thought was necessary to boost the social media aspect of my work, until I read Mr. Stratten's book. I was going through motions but not hitting the mark, such as, not concentrating so much on the sale of the item, but the person who's going to buy, and recommend the product. Twitter is a huge answer to many issues in getting to know the user end of what ...more
Really adored this book -- so many takeaways! My copy is covered with underlining and post-its, and I know I'll refer to it again and again. What kept it from being five stars is the editing. Stratten says he recorded much of the book and had it transcribed, and that comes through loud and clear. Stratten's voice and personality shine, but there are many typos and errors that a careful editor should've caught. While it doesn't take away from the content, it is distracting, and something you'd ho ...more
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Free Prize Inside: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • Managing Content Marketing: The Real-World Guide for Creating Passionate Subscribers to Your Brand
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • No Bullshit Social Media: The All-Business, No-Hype Guide to Social Media Marketing
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • The Thank You Economy