Start by marking “Wife of the Chef” as Want to Read:
Wife of the Chef

Wife of the Chef

Wife of the Chef is at once a no-holds-barred memoir of restaurant life and a revealing look at married life. For Courtney Febbroriello, the two are intertwined. She and her husband own an American bistro in Connecticut. He's the chef, so naturally he gets all the credit. She has the role of keeping things running, but she's the wife, so she remains anonymous or invisible ...more
Published April 21st 2010 by Crown (first published January 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wife of the Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wife of the Chef

Mary Joy
This book is awful.

I didn't finish reading it, a rare thing. This book is just plain awful.

The writing, quite frankly, sucks. The writer, quite frankly, doesn't know how to write: the day-to-day ins and outs of a restaurant through the eyes of a chef's wife could have, would have, but ultimately was not written well here.

The author does not like food, and her interest in it is superficial, forced, and pretentious. I'm just as puzzled as her staff regarding her "vegetarianism": she eats eggs, yog
melanie (lit*chick)
It's definitely a different perspective on the behind the scenes restaurant world. I gave it two stars because it was interesting. I wanted to give it one star because the author's tone seemed to be childish- whiny & complaining. When she made a mistake she blamed it on someone else. She resents her husband's talent and doesn't even eat his food (she's a vegetarian and seems to take pride in being so contrary).
Her job doesn't seem much different than that of a stay at home mom (overworked, u
Daniela Hindman-williams
It's all true. As the wife of a chef and someone who worked in the industry for many, many years, I can attest to the truth of these pages. It did not get 5 stars because it read more like a dry- impersonal essay.
Apr 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: working, memoir
I confess that I read this book quite a while ago (probably 10+ years ago), so the details are a little hazy. But the idea of the book stayed with me after all this time--so it must have made an impression on me (and books that make an impression or worth reading!). I remembered that I liked the book because the author chose to tell a life story backwards--starting at the end and moving toward birth. I remember being intrigued by this idea so I bought it. When preparing to write this little desc ...more
Julie Davis
Jul 07, 2010 Julie Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
#65 - 2010.

I seem to remember having read this long ago. Just began it but if nothing else you will appreciate how very un-busy your life seems in comparison to that of a restaurant owner-chef. A standard behind-the-scenes in the restaurant business book. However, the frantic pace of the text covering one mishap and frantic problem after another serves to make one wonder how they remain in business or even married. I blame the editor for this as if the author had slowed down occasionally for som
Rogue Reader
Nov 29, 2014 Rogue Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unusual treatment of both the front and back of the house, thanks to Courtney Febbroriello, wife of chef Chris Prosperi, and co-owner of Metro Bis in Salisbury, Connecticut. Seems impossible to balance the two, to bridge the two and to acknowledge that the celebrity chef will be center stage. It's clear that Febbroriello runs the restaurant, providing the structure, organization and financial know-how to keep the place running and seats filled. It's clear that Febbroriello and Prosperi are a tea ...more
Tom Cain
Mar 01, 2014 Tom Cain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't very long (under 300 pages), but it gave an insiders view of the restaurant industry. If anyone thinks they can open a restaurant and make a pile of money in the first year; read this book. Courtney describes the long hours, the staff, the finances and the customers. Her view as owner/hostess/employee is probably the most honest of these type of books out there. I was shocked when I read that she and her husband lived in a rented apartment, because they cou ...more
Ashley
Started off great - engaging, fast-paced - but started to lose steam shortly thereafter. There was no real structure or flow to the book, so while the anecdotes were interesting, it felt a bit aimless and disjointed. Also, the author focused almost exclusively on work; there were very few personal details shared, which really kept the story at an arm's length.

I did like the behind the scenes view from the more business-oriented side of the restaurant, since that's the author's main role. It was
Nytetyger
Jul 22, 2009 Nytetyger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-challenge
Wow, someone woke up, had a nice bracing PITCHER of Carnation Instant Bitch and decided SHE was going to tell everyone how hard life was being the woman behind the chef at a semi successful restaurant. She is smarter, more refined, works harder, and is just plain BETTER than everyone around her—it must be tiring dealing with us weaker mortals while she is on whatever caused her time away from Olympus, where OBVIOUSLY she belongs.

The sad part is that the information in the book was fascinating,
Shelley
Feb 15, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having worked in restaurants, and now doing private catering work, I have to admit that I love this book and I read it at least once a year. OK, some of the text is a bit awkward, and there's no real 'story', but the anecdotes are as true-to-life as any I've ever read. I keep hoping she'll write a second book so we can see how her life has changed over the years. Does she eat more widely now? Or is she still a gnocchi-and-cheese girl. Do they have more than one resto now? I love that she's the c ...more
Astrid Natasastra
Read this book if you always wonder how does it feel like to date/marry a chef, because this is an honest book from a point of view of a wife. There are some moments when she admire him, when she disappointed in him... When she loves her job.. when she was frustated..
Reading this book makes me feel like meeting Courtney over coffee and listening to her life story right infront of me.
It's an enjoyable read and VERY detail, definitely recommended as a fresher alternative from regular chef's story
Catherine
Dec 17, 2007 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writer, as the title states, is the wife of a chef of a bistro in Connecticut. She runs the office, works in the restaurant, manages the Express restaurant of the bistro, and handles their salad dressing business. In other words, she wears a lot of hats. I thought she had a great writing voice, addressing everything from restaurant employees to difficult customers. I didn't find her tone whiny at all, (as one reviewer described) just factual and articulate.
Anne
Mar 29, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently had lunch at the restaurant this author owns with her husband. It was lovely, and since I'm addicted to stories about what goes on behind the scenes at restaurants, I had to check out the book. Totally fascinating - I couldn't put it down! And confirmed for me once again that although I love to dine out and I love to cook, I could never, ever work in a restaurant.
Claire
This was bad. She managed to take what could be an interesting tale of the behind the scenes work of a restaurant, and make it boring. The author needs a better editor. Also throughout the book she gets very defensive about how her work is just as important as her husband's. I believe that, but her constant declarations and whines make me wonder if she believes it. Not good at all.
Elizabeth
Febbroriello offers terrific insight into what it is like to work in the restaurant business: all of the guts and the infrequent glory of it. An easy, amusing read that is almost too harmless in its depiction of the brutal restaurant business.
Liz
May 02, 2008 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I get it, I am marrying a chef. I am supposed to find this stuff really interesting...and the day to day is, just reading it isn't. Especially when it is mixed in with the occasional panic attack that if we open a restaurant this could be me!!!!
A.
Aug 11, 2010 A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good. Owning a business is hard work and never able to do other things. You are always tied up in the business.
Emmalee
Dec 21, 2016 Emmalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, biography
While the author of this book doesn't really like food, you can see what the day to day struggles of running a restaurant can be like.
Monya
Jan 17, 2009 Monya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
she seems a bit angry about life, but it was an entertaining read.
Lynett Heritz
This is so real...anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant will understand!
Anyone who thinks they want to own a restaurant because 'it would be fun' needs to read this!!!
Jun 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gained a little bit of insights, but mostly liked because is was shared experiences
Ann DelVecchio
Jun 07, 2012 Ann DelVecchio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
can't finish this one --just not that compelling
Leigh
Apr 24, 2008 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting view of the world of dining. And from someone other than the chef's is fantastic. Cheers to the women who support the men in this insane business!
Meredith
Although I found the tone to be not a little obnoxious, great capture of what it's really like to work in a restaurant - at least according to what I've been told by people in the know.
Alex Whatton
An interesting, eye-opening read, but I wouldn't read it again. I do hope I will be a better customer from now on!
Annette
Cute look into the life of a Chef Wife....but shes also part owner of the restaurant and was in it up to her neck. :)
Pammyusa
Pammyusa rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2017
Lucinda
Lucinda rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012