Start by marking “The Surrender of a Lady” as Want to Read:
The Surrender of a Lady

The Surrender of a Lady

Sold. With one word, Lady Elena Ravenscliffe's destiny changes forever. Forced into Constantinople's slave market to pay off her late husband's debts and save her son, Elena reinvents herself as Jinan—a harem girl adored by the rich lords who bid on her favors. But one man instantly sees through her façade.

Griffin Summerfield, Marquess of Rothburn, let Elena slip through h
Published September 28th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Surrender of a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surrender of a Lady

Shawna
4 stars – Historical/Victorian/Harem Romance

I’m slightly apprehensive about reviewing this because I know The Surrender of a Lady probably won’t work for many traditional romance readers, but this represents how I feel about it, so just take from this what you will.

Solely as a romance, I didn’t love it, mainly because there isn’t much “romance” expressed between the H/h, but instead reminiscence of their past, youthful courtship and lost love, explosive desire, mutual longing, emotional conflict
TJ
Jul 06, 2010 TJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is absolutely unfathomable how reading 312 pages where a proper English lady is sold, stripped, turned into a whore and made to suffer the most disturbing, deplorable humiliations and degradations in order to protect her child, then 6 pages of "happy ending" could ever be considered a romance.

For a more complete review, visit www.affairedecoeur.com, October 2010 issue.
Katie(babs)
Starts out with an emotional bang but loses steam quick with lackluster love scene and the questionable motivation of the characters, specifically the hero.
Jill Myles
Sep 02, 2010 Jill Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So is it possible to like a romance and not like the hero? Loved Clare's voice, loved Jinan, loved the world she set up and how it wasn't all OMG TURKS ARE GROSS and how Jinan actually liked the other women in the harem. I am always fascinated by Ottoman/Turkish culture and I appreciate it when they're not drawn as Bad Awful Slavers of Nice White Girls. And while this plot danced close to that, I think that the white people in this were equally awful (the hero, her husband) and the Turkish chara ...more
Katherine 黄爱芬
Buku Historical Romance yg pertama dibaca di Kindle saya. Sebenarnya sdh dibaca di Android sekitar 60% sebelum "bencana" terjadi, tiba-tiba lenyap nyaris semua e-book yg di Android.

Diceritakan Elena yg baru melahirkan putranya, tiba-tiba terkejut mendapatkan dirinya dijual oleh suaminya, penjudi kelas berat yg sdh tidak bisa tertolong lagi. Terkatung-katung, sampai akhirnya terdamparlah Elena di suatu pulau milik seorang Amir, pangeran negara antah berantah di Arab, yg mendidik dan melatih Elena
Kit
Sep 26, 2010 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of the story were fresh, compelling and a page turner-but somewhere in the middle I felt like I was reading a dated Beatrice Small romance.... A little to over the top- shaking my head at the heroine's angst and reaction to the hero, pulled me from what might have been a great romance.
Morgan
A wonderful debut novel! Refreshing and unusual historical setting. Exotic and lush. A new author to watch.
ms bookjunkie
Oct 24, 2010 ms bookjunkie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, 2010
What a thoroughly depressing book! It should not be called a romance IMO. 300 pages of misery are not overcome by 10 pages of HEA! Fail.
MaggieReadsRom
Memorable Scene:
- Elena’s reunion with her infant son > absolutely heartbreaking!

The heroine of this book, Elena Ravenscliffe, is gambled away by her irresponsible and self-centered husband. She ends up in a harem as a sex slave after being bought at a slave market. As the harem girl Jinan she is forced to grow up from a young, almost naïve girl into a strong, resilient woman of the world.

The hero of this book was a bit of a problem for me. He’s a former opium-addict and from the start I fo
Twiggy
i know a lot of people loved this but in all honesty i just thought it was horrible.

The starting premise works well and the horrors of the slave trade are brought home in spades.

My real problem was that I could not stand Amir. He was just vile. And yet, we are told time and again how much the heroine must learn to respect and adore him; how wonderful he is; how grateful she is to him; how well he looks after her son; how she must do what ever he wants; how she is desperate to return to him;how
Amanda Ryan
This book is probably best classified as an erotic novel with enough romance squeezed in to bump it into the Romance section. Because we all know a true erotic novel typically ends up in that singular section at the book store at the end of the entire row of Romance. Combine the fancy font title scroll and the lovely lady in a gown artwork, and BAM you’ve got enough to have a historical romance. Right? Sort of…

I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy this book. Because, well, I did. It was a fu
PepperP0t
This tale isn't the typical regency/historical romance it's touted as but it isn't typical historical fiction either. This tale isn't exactly the evil slavers and their hapless victims and it isn't exactly life in a harem is great, everyone should spend a season or three in one. What it is, is harsh subject matter wrapped in pretty clothes that defies easy categorization.

Constantinople was supposed to be a new start and things were supposed to be different. They were. Robert was different. He w
Melanie
Jul 26, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this book on my blog www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

What a Debut!

I won't go into the plot itself. It's been done by the reviewers before me. I just had to add my 2 cents (or in this case 5 stars) in. I bought this book on a whim while getting Benadryl for my poor husband, while out of state celebrating our 10th Anniversary. Suffice it to say, he zonked out, and I spent the night reading the book.

WOW!!! The book was a pure pleasure to read! Tiffany Clare has a way with words and
April
THE SURRENDER OF A LADY by Tiffany Clare is a historical romance set in 1841 Constantinople and Greece. It is well written with details, depth, fast paced, and a page turner.It has passion,betrayal, deceit,a harem, slave trade, sensuality,romance, lust, love, determination, lost love and the coming together of that long ago lost love. The heroine, Elena, beautiful, married to a gambler, has a infant, sold into slavery by her husband for his gambling debts, determined to survive the and save her ...more
Rene
Jan 28, 2011 Rene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book a lot. The story starts out with Elena and Griffin getting engaged one evening at a ball. The next day Griffin disappears and Elena finds herself engaged to a foolish gambler of little standing. Her husband gets so far into debt that he is forced to give up his wife and son to be sold to help pay off his debts. He unfortunately has a untimelynasty demise.
Amir is a Prince that owns an island paradise near Greece and has a large palace and a harem that he uses for profit;
P.Reviewer
Jan 31, 2011 P.Reviewer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recieved this book through Goodreads First reads.

Wow...I almost don't have the words to describe this wonderful romance novel. This is historical romance at its best. First I'll start with the characters. Elena Ravenscliffe is a wonderful heroine in a terrible situation. She's sold into the Constantinople slave market in order to pay off debts and save her son. The things she does for her son are amazing. I usually can't stand martyr heroines (I find them annoying for not protecting themselves
Book Review Diva
"The Surrender of a Lady" is a debut Historical Romance novel from author Tiffany Clare. Elena's husband bet, and lost her in a gambling bet to a sex slave owner. Bought by a Turkish Prince, she now has to accept that she is now a lady of the harem, and could be for the rest of her life. Will she surrender to this life in order to survive? Will Elena ever feel loved again? Will her son accept what she has become, and understand that she tried her best to raise him?

For being Tiffany Clarie's firs
Historical Romance Books

For being Tiffany Clarie's firs
Heidi
Jan 29, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So.... Im not sure how I would describe this book. I loved it but hated it? Hate is such a strong word.... Maybe dislike is a little better. I had such high hopes for this book. The whole him finding her in a harem, and wanting to be with her forever was such a great storyline, but its one of those books where one or both characters dislikes the other one... but in reality they love/like each other they just don't want to tell the other one.... UGGG. I just wanted to shake the characters though ...more
Jess
Sep 28, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-novels
I definitely would have liked this story less if I hadn't been forewarned about it.  Looking at the cover and title, you'd think it was just a standard period romance.  I'd been warned, however, that the story read more like a study in human behaviour and the psychological effects of being in a harm, so I was prepared for the struggles Jinan would face. What I wasn't prepared for was how much I'd grow to respect her.  And I think that's what's so amazing about this book.  You don't see Jinan as ...more
Noelle Pierce
My opinion about this book stems largely from my own personal preferences, rather than any negative about the author or her ability to tell a story. As difficult as it was for me to read for various reasons, I nonetheless developed a strong desire to reach the end and see how she managed to conclude the story. The writing was very good and the emotions of the characters strong. In every romance I read, the conflict makes me consider whether the hero and heroine will be able to overcome it to be ...more
Sonya
Nov 09, 2010 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonny Bon Bon
The reason I only gave it 3 stars was because I loved the idea of the harem palace and everything involved with it and I did like Elena/Jinan and griffin but there romance just wasnt doing it for me, it was more about there history then them falling in love again. she is a completely different person from the women he fell in love with 10 yrs. prior and yet they just automatically get back together. honesty I would have loved to see Amir and Jinan get married that would have be awesome!!!

Nothing
Michelle
Jul 08, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read by Tiffany Clare. I've always enjoyed the historicals that take place outside of England because you still get the same grace that comes with living in the upper echelons of society but the opportunity for an adventure not normally found in England. I enjoyed how Griffin and Elena came together after so many years apart. I loved seeing how Elena grew into her own person while facing such insurmountable options. I did think that the story slowed down in the middle some but picked back ...more
Meh... I both liked and disliked this book. The time line was jumpy and a bit hard to follow. whats more it didn't come off feeling like a romance. I usually enjoy harem books but then this one was different in that the girls in the harem weren't just sleeping with one man, but being auctioned off to spend months at a time with another. It was just weird. And then there was the relationship between Griffin and Elena which didn't really seem like a relationship at all. So again just weird, in the ...more
Kayla
Oct 04, 2010 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kayla by: anne
Shelves: sony-ebooks
There are many things about this book I liked. I really got wrapped up in the story. Couldn't put it down once I started it. But I really had a problem with the main character or if not her with her lack of choice or control over her life. It bummed me out. I also had trouble with how completely she changed in 5 years. It was a story that really stuck with me even after I finished reading it. It took several days to let go of this story before I could start a new one.

I won't be reading this boo
Fay Ann Hollcroft
I will admit this was a weirdly type of historical, but interesting enough for me to read the next book in the trilogy. It all came out well in the end, especially dealing with the sex trade/harems in Victorian times. What I did admire was this young mother bound & determined to do, literally, anything to save her son. I wasn't too pleased when it veered back & forth between the past & future aspects.
Brandy *Ahviel*
I loved this twist of a historical romance. I do have to say that the reason I did not give 5 stars is because at the end when she let go of her old life then she should have embarrassed another part of her life when she asked that her son be given his rightful title or at least accepted the gift that was handed to her. But then again that is what authors do is it not make us want to pull our hair and scream "WHY"
Overall it was a great read
Theresa Contreras
im not sure i can finish this book, im half way through and i find it just ewwww! this could be the very first book i start and dont finish! its a shame because i like tiffany claire...

ok i finished this book.... im simi happy i did as it would has stayed on my mind until i did. it turned out ok, def not one of my favs.. wont pick it up again and wont search it out for my own collection but different from what i read on a regular basis..

Melissa
Aug 04, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little out of my comfort zone but interesting to see how other cultures handle certain situations.
All because her husband has a gambling problem, Elena ends up on the slave market, shortly after giving birth to her son. She will do whatever is necessary to provide for her son, but what happens when someone from her past finds her in her new life?? Read to find out.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:23PM
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Ripe for Pleasure (The League of Second Sons, #1)
  • Innocent in the Harem
  • The Sins of Viscount Sutherland (Lords of Sheffield Square, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Promise Me Tonight (Weston #1)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • A Breach of Promise (The Rules of Engagement Book 1)
  • Night Moves : Dream Man/After the Night
  • The Dangerous Viscount (The Burgundy Club, #2)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • The Highest Stakes
  • Addicted (Addicted #1)
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • Never Trust a Rogue (Heiress in London, #2)
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers, #3)
Deciding that life had far more to offer than a nine to five job, bickering children and housework of any kind (unless she's on a deadline when everything is magically spotless), Tiffany Clare opened up her laptop to write stories she could get lost in. Tiffany writes historical romances set in the Victorian era and is currently working on her Desire Me Now series for Avon Impulse, which releases ...more
More about Tiffany Clare...