Killer Heat

Killer Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  397 ratings  ·  46 reviews

The bodies of seven women have been discovered in Skull Valley, Arizona. Jonah Young, a private security operative from Department 6, has been hired by the Yavapai County sheriff to assist in solving these murders. But Jonah's not prepared for the complications that arise when he's forced to work with a woman from his past, private investigator Francesca Moretti.
Jonah bet...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Mira Books (first published September 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Heat

Booklover
Amanda
I don't think I could do what Francesca did. To take Joshua back and still be friends with Adriana. All I have to say is....WOW
Lauren
Killer Heat
3 stars (4 for the plot and 2 for the romance)

Good suspense plot but awful characterization.

This book has to have the most TSTL heroine that has ever existed. Not only is she the most inept private investigator who gets into the most stupid situations and alienates every law enforcement officer in her vicinity, but she also remains friends with the self-absorbed b*tch (a very fitting description) who betrayed her in the most basic of ways, and manages to forgive for the selfish jerk...more
RomReader
Private investigator heroine stumbles across what she thought was the dead body of the woman she’s searching for & the possible murderer. The police team believes its tied to the serial killing of 7 women found in a nearby gravesite and they hire private investigator Hero to be part of their investigative efforts. Hero & heroine have not seen each other for 10 years since he betrayed her with her best friend. They make an effort to work together but heroine finds it hard to let go of the...more
Bob Clarkson
A Department 6 novel that occurs in Skull Valley, AZ. Skull Valley lies outside of Prescott.

Seven sets of bones have been discovered and Department 6 has been contacted to help out in the investigation. Jonah Young is the agent sent to provide the support.

In the meantime, another skull has been discovered and the family of this missing woman has hired Private Investigator Francesca Morretti to provide more facts then the police have been able to provide.

Francesca and Jonah had crossed swords ten...more
Jess
Good storyline, the plot was well paced and kept me guessing between a few people until closer to the end. Really wished there would have been more scenes between Jonah and Fran. Their story was so emotional it felt like the scenes I was waiting for relating to their relationship in the second half the book just weren't enough.
Suzanne Barrett
Killer Heat, Brenda Novak’s third in the Department 6 series, is a strong finisher in these Arizona desert stories from Mira. White Heat and Body Heat were excellent, but I think best-selling author Novak outdid herself in a tale of complexity involving a tough PI, the man who betrayed her, a best friend looking out for her own interests and a host of unsavory characters, each of whom might be a serial killer.

Private Investigator Francesca Moretti, investigating the disappearance of a local woma...more
Laylah
The third book in the Department 6 series, and I'm not sure it's the last. Let me rephrase it, I'll be sorry if it's the last. Brenda Novak hit her stride (finally) in this book. The subject though is nothing new, the suspense however oozes out every page. We are introduced right from the start the suspects, or I'd rather say a family of suspects. We know the killer has to be from this pool of people, but the author does an excellent job of keeping us guessing. The dynamic between the h/h is muc...more
Kelly Moran
It was a horrible experience that jump-started New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Brenda Novak's career-- she caught her daycare teacher drugging her children to get them to sleep. Deciding she needed to work from home, she penned her first novel, and has been a household sensation ever since. Other titles include: Trust Me, Watch Me, Stop Me, Dead Silence, Dead Giveaway, Dead Right, The Perfect Couple, The Perfect Murder, The Perfect Liar, and Mother, Please. She also heads an annu...more
Heather Bokon
This is my first Brenda Novak. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was part of a series, which is my own fault, but I didn't have any trouble following along with this one.

Francesca is a PI hired by a woman to find her missing sister, April. Francesca's investigation leads her to a salvage yard, owned and operated by a nasty brute named Butch. It also brings her back in contact with her ex, Jonah, who she broke up with back in college.

I liked the story - the investigation brought them two diffe...more
Tina
I wasn't impressed with Francesca PI skillz. I don't think I would ever hire her. She seems a bit incompetent and not in a funny Stephanie Plum kinda way.

The book had a curious effect of seeming to hover around both the regular plot of a serial killer and the romance plot where the hero betrayed the heroine in past and they are still dealing with the fall out. I did not feel that the story had a true grasp on each element or that it ever engaged fully in the narrative. It was as if as I was read...more
Heather
Brenda Novak's writing just keeps getting better and better. Her "heat" trilogy is her best work so far. All writers hope that they improve with practice, but in my experience it doesn't always happen. Now I can't wait for Novak's next book.

Featuring a private security operative (read - hunk) from Department 6, this romantic success takes Jonah and Francesca, who already have a stinging past, through the intricacies of solving a case while trying not to let the sparks of their chemistry ignite....more
Melanie Chabrol-
WELL, this was a great book, would rate it a 4- 4.5. I think this was written differently compared to the other trilogies.
Imagine someone hires you to find out what happened to their missing family, then you learn that the local police has hired someone from department 6, where they special in the way a killer thinks. To find out it is someone from your past and they hurt you in such an unforgivable way. You try to become professional. How is it that in 5 years that 7 bodies have been found and...more
Virginia Markhart
Very good story. Jonah and Fransesca work together to solve a serial murder in the Arizona desert. While working the case they have to come to terms with their mutual attraction. They had been a couple ten years prior, which ended in betrayal. Lots of feelings, emotions. HOT
Cenna Lipscomb
I didn't like the romance part of this story. I found the heroine to be silly and ineffective as a PI. and couldn't believe she had been a policewoman. Moreso the romance in this story bordered on too much angst, I don't think I could have forgiven either person for how they betrayed her, especially her best friend, who had his baby, and after 10 years, her best friend would have chucked her marriage and kids to get Jonah. No matter hurting her friend again. What a selfish bitch. Jonah was an as...more
Karla Nellenbach
The third in Novak's Department 6 series left me a little ambivalent. Now, here I will admit that I am a huge Novak fan. I love her books. There's not much I can find that is wrong with them. KILLER HEAT is pretty much the same as her others. My one problem with this trilogy on a whole was the main character. Fracesca irritated me quite a bit, and at times, I just wanted to strangle the childishness right out of her. But, that was a tiny thing compared to the awesomeness with which Novak deliver...more
Alanna
Very disappointed in this book. I did not like the romance between Jonah & Fran, it seemed like the relationship was being forced...I didn't even want them to end up together. I only finished this book b/c I enjoyed the other 2 in the series & I really wanted to know who the killer was.
Katie
Delene Cooper
Very intriguing and suspenseful

This book was a nail biter to the very end. There were no slow times. Once you started reading the book, you could not put it down. I would recommend this book to any one who likes mystery and suspense.
Taylor
My heart was pounding a lot during this story. To think that Francesca's best friend could have done that to her, that was just awful. If it had honestly been a drunk mistake, they were both so intoxicated they didn't even realize it was happening, that can be forgiveable. The fact that Adriana knew what she had been doing, I don't know if I would ever be able to forgive my friend for something like that.
Doug Branscombe
The 3rd in this trilogy. Brings us back to the killer heat of the Arizona desert, this time in search of a serial killer who has buried 7 bodies in a place called Skull Valley. Since Novak seems to specialize in sexual tension, this case bring Noah and Francesca together ten years after an ugly breakup to team up in finding the culprit.
Sapphire Kharyzma
I was absolutely intrigued by this novel. I was able to finish it in 3 days. I loved the way the book started out with the intense mystery and it carried you throughout! I highly recommend this book! The ending was also an amazing suspenseful thrill! This one should be labeled bestread...because good doesn't quite cut it!
Butch is an antagonistic moron. Francesca seemed to be less than professional in her job. Other than that, not a bad read. Definitely didn't suspect that kind of outcome, but the ending sucked.
Gemma
I figured out who the murderer was fairly easily.

Part of a series, but can be read as a stand-alone. I hadn't read any other books in the series, but I was never lost.
M.G. Braden
This is more a 3.5. I love Brenda Novak's books, but the heroine in this one annoyed me sometimes. However, I thought the suspense was great and the tension good. Loved the Hero.
Briana
I didn't like this one as much as I enjoyed the other books in this series but it was still a good read and the writing was just as strong as always. Greatly woven plot.
Mommyreview.com
Liked Body Heat much better though this was about a town I lived in that was about all I found interesting. The romance and chemistry was sorely lacking.
Louisa
What a great book! Loved it! It was so amazing! And the romance? And mystery? Combined to be such a great novel! Love Brenda Novak's writing! So great!!!!
Kierstin
It was a decent book. A little less suspense or nail biting action than I am used to reading however, it still provided a good storyline and a good read.
ilona
PI is trying to find a missing women and this ties into the same case her ex boyfriend is trying to solve involving a serial killer. Predictable.
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Unspeakable (Tracers, #2)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Pitch Black (Black CATs, #2)
  • The Mist (Ireland, #3)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • One Deadly Sin
  • Into the Night
  • Now You Die (Bullet Catcher, #6)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me  (Secrets of Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Swept Aside
  • Revenge at Bella Terra (Bella Terra Deception, #2)
  • Dead By Morning (Griffin Powell, #12)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid #2)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a...more
More about Brenda Novak...
When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)