Start by marking “Killer Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #3)” as Want to Read:
Killer Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #3)

Killer Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns #3)

The bodies of seven women have been discovered in Skull Valley, Arizona. Jonah Young, a private security operative from Department 6, has been hired by the Yavapai County sheriff to assist in solving these murders. But Jonah's not prepared for the complications that arise when he's forced to work with a woman from his past, private investigator Francesca Moretti.
Jonah bet
Published October 1st 2010 by Mira Books (first published September 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Heat

RomReader *Spoiler Giver*
Private investigator heroine stumbles across what she thought was the dead body of the woman she’s searching for & the possible murderer. The police team believes its tied to the serial killing of 7 women found in a nearby gravesite and they hire private investigator Hero to be part of their investigative efforts. Hero & heroine have not seen each other for 10 years since he betrayed her with her best friend. They make an effort to work together but heroine finds it hard to let go of the ...more
Killer Heat
3 stars (4 for the plot and 2 for the romance)

Good suspense plot but awful characterization.

This book has to have the most TSTL heroine that has ever existed. Not only is she the most inept private investigator who gets into the most stupid situations and alienates every law enforcement officer in her vicinity, but she also remains friends with the self-absorbed b*tch (a very fitting description) who betrayed her in the most basic of ways, and manages to forgive for the selfish jerk
Jul 26, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rented
I don't think I could do what Francesca did. To take Joshua back and still be friends with Adriana. All I have to say is....WOW
Mar 10, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book in paperback when it first came out but purchased the Kindle edition and decided to re-read it. I liked it as much the second time as I did the first. Brenda Novak writes excellent romantic suspense novels. They keep you guessing until the end.

The main character is a private investigator named Francesca. She stumbles upon a dead body during her missing person case. The police are investigating & have Francesca's ex help out. Francesca has a problem with this since they b
Bob Clarkson
Jul 17, 2014 Bob Clarkson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Department 6 novel that occurs in Skull Valley, AZ. Skull Valley lies outside of Prescott.

Seven sets of bones have been discovered and Department 6 has been contacted to help out in the investigation. Jonah Young is the agent sent to provide the support.

In the meantime, another skull has been discovered and the family of this missing woman has hired Private Investigator Francesca Morretti to provide more facts then the police have been able to provide.

Francesca and Jonah had crossed swords ten
Oct 15, 2010 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline, the plot was well paced and kept me guessing between a few people until closer to the end. Really wished there would have been more scenes between Jonah and Fran. Their story was so emotional it felt like the scenes I was waiting for relating to their relationship in the second half the book just weren't enough.
Suzanne Barrett
Feb 02, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Killer Heat, Brenda Novak’s third in the Department 6 series, is a strong finisher in these Arizona desert stories from Mira. White Heat and Body Heat were excellent, but I think best-selling author Novak outdid herself in a tale of complexity involving a tough PI, the man who betrayed her, a best friend looking out for her own interests and a host of unsavory characters, each of whom might be a serial killer.

Private Investigator Francesca Moretti, investigating the disappearance of a local woma
Aug 30, 2010 Laylah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Department 6 series, and I'm not sure it's the last. Let me rephrase it, I'll be sorry if it's the last. Brenda Novak hit her stride (finally) in this book. The subject though is nothing new, the suspense however oozes out every page. We are introduced right from the start the suspects, or I'd rather say a family of suspects. We know the killer has to be from this pool of people, but the author does an excellent job of keeping us guessing. The dynamic between the h/h is muc ...more
Kelly Moran
Sep 28, 2010 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
It was a horrible experience that jump-started New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Brenda Novak's career-- she caught her daycare teacher drugging her children to get them to sleep. Deciding she needed to work from home, she penned her first novel, and has been a household sensation ever since. Other titles include: Trust Me, Watch Me, Stop Me, Dead Silence, Dead Giveaway, Dead Right, The Perfect Couple, The Perfect Murder, The Perfect Liar, and Mother, Please. She also heads an annu ...more
Heather Bokon
This is my first Brenda Novak. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was part of a series, which is my own fault, but I didn't have any trouble following along with this one.

Francesca is a PI hired by a woman to find her missing sister, April. Francesca's investigation leads her to a salvage yard, owned and operated by a nasty brute named Butch. It also brings her back in contact with her ex, Jonah, who she broke up with back in college.

I liked the story - the investigation brought them two diffe
I wasn't impressed with Francesca PI skillz. I don't think I would ever hire her. She seems a bit incompetent and not in a funny Stephanie Plum kinda way.

The book had a curious effect of seeming to hover around both the regular plot of a serial killer and the romance plot where the hero betrayed the heroine in past and they are still dealing with the fall out. I did not feel that the story had a true grasp on each element or that it ever engaged fully in the narrative. It was as if as I was read
Oct 23, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brenda Novak's writing just keeps getting better and better. Her "heat" trilogy is her best work so far. All writers hope that they improve with practice, but in my experience it doesn't always happen. Now I can't wait for Novak's next book.

Featuring a private security operative (read - hunk) from Department 6, this romantic success takes Jonah and Francesca, who already have a stinging past, through the intricacies of solving a case while trying not to let the sparks of their chemistry ignite.
Jul 27, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book about Department 6 and their help with small town Sheriff's departments with unsolved murders. PI Francesca Moretti was searching for a missing girl when she came across old boyfriend Jonah Young who was hired to assist in solving the mystery of a mass grave that was uncovered. These two cases are connected but can they work together without reliving the past.
Melanie Chabrol-
Jan 29, 2012 Melanie Chabrol- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WELL, this was a great book, would rate it a 4- 4.5. I think this was written differently compared to the other trilogies.
Imagine someone hires you to find out what happened to their missing family, then you learn that the local police has hired someone from department 6, where they special in the way a killer thinks. To find out it is someone from your past and they hurt you in such an unforgivable way. You try to become professional. How is it that in 5 years that 7 bodies have been found and
Virginia Markhart
Very good story. Jonah and Fransesca work together to solve a serial murder in the Arizona desert. While working the case they have to come to terms with their mutual attraction. They had been a couple ten years prior, which ended in betrayal. Lots of feelings, emotions. HOT
Michelle Tempted By Books
Pretty graphic and detailed on the murder victims. The romance was decent but really took a back seat. I was thrown on the mystery for a good while but I did have it together well before the end which kind of bothered me. I also was disappointed with the lack of epilogue.
Dec 26, 2015 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok three stories in this series, but other then the fact that some of the characters work for the same company they can stand alone. Very good writing and story lines. I did start to guess who did it until close to the end, and then wasn't sure.
Cenna Lipscomb
I didn't like the romance part of this story. I found the heroine to be silly and ineffective as a PI. and couldn't believe she had been a policewoman. Moreso the romance in this story bordered on too much angst, I don't think I could have forgiven either person for how they betrayed her, especially her best friend, who had his baby, and after 10 years, her best friend would have chucked her marriage and kids to get Jonah. No matter hurting her friend again. What a selfish bitch. Jonah was an as ...more
Dec 23, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with well developed characters! I loved the tension and relationship between Jonah and Francesca. There were enough twists and turns in the story to not only keep you guessing, but to keep you on the edge of your seat.
Karla Nellenbach
Oct 22, 2010 Karla Nellenbach rated it liked it
The third in Novak's Department 6 series left me a little ambivalent. Now, here I will admit that I am a huge Novak fan. I love her books. There's not much I can find that is wrong with them. KILLER HEAT is pretty much the same as her others. My one problem with this trilogy on a whole was the main character. Fracesca irritated me quite a bit, and at times, I just wanted to strangle the childishness right out of her. But, that was a tiny thing compared to the awesomeness with which Novak deliver ...more
Feb 21, 2014 Alanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed in this book. I did not like the romance between Jonah & Fran, it seemed like the relationship was being forced...I didn't even want them to end up together. I only finished this book b/c I enjoyed the other 2 in the series & I really wanted to know who the killer was.
Delene Cooper
Very intriguing and suspenseful

This book was a nail biter to the very end. There were no slow times. Once you started reading the book, you could not put it down. I would recommend this book to any one who likes mystery and suspense.
The plot twist was great I I was totally surprised in the end but I was a little disappointed with some other issues in the story.
Monica Nichols
Was disappointed in the ending. The ending was crammed together and was rather abrupt. Other than that it was a decent read.
Jan 25, 2015 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of suspense, the plot had enough twists to keep one on the edge of one's seat.
Jun 24, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apr 03, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this well written second chance romance and suspense novel. Like most readers thought there could have been more soul bearing and soul searching on the second chance romance part especially on Noah's part. The suspense dragged a little for me as we flicked between 2 possible suspects almost past the point of being suspenseful. Overall enjoyed the story, my first experience of Brenda Novak novels and the other 2 novels in this series.
Dec 20, 2013 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart was pounding a lot during this story. To think that Francesca's best friend could have done that to her, that was just awful. If it had honestly been a drunk mistake, they were both so intoxicated they didn't even realize it was happening, that can be forgiveable. The fact that Adriana knew what she had been doing, I don't know if I would ever be able to forgive my friend for something like that.
Doug Branscombe
The 3rd in this trilogy. Brings us back to the killer heat of the Arizona desert, this time in search of a serial killer who has buried 7 bodies in a place called Skull Valley. Since Novak seems to specialize in sexual tension, this case bring Noah and Francesca together ten years after an ugly breakup to team up in finding the culprit.
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Unspeakable (Tracers, #2)
  • Into the Night (The Reliance Group, #1)
  • One Deadly Sin
  • Race for Redemption (The Grandmaster's Legacy #2)
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • Desperate Deeds (A-Tac, #3)
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • No Control (Delta Force #2)
  • Secret Sins
  • Riptide (Cutter Cay, #2)
  • Magnolia
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil, #2)
  • Dead By Morning (Griffin Powell, #12)
  • Tag, You're It!
  • Stay Hungry (The Bounty Hunters, #3)
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Dept 6 Hired Guns (3 books)
  • White Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #1)
  • Body Heat  (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #2)

“Thanks for the advice, but it never pays to run from a bully. That would only endanger whoever I chose to stay with.” 0 likes
“I mean that love is enough—when the time is right,” 0 likes