Start by marking “Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)

Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery #5)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,326 ratings  ·  61 reviews
During the annual Pickle Fest, Abby's boyfriend Marco inexplicably disappears for a day. When he returns, he's the main suspect in the death of a clown. It seems the cops have found Snuggles pushing up water-spurting daisies-and Marco was the last person seen leaving Snuggles's house. Although Marco is still a mystery to her, Abby knows he's innocent. Now she has to find a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Acts of Violets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acts of Violets

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeMemories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Zombie Room by R.D. Ronald
What book next?
31st out of 37 books — 34 voters
Bed of Roses by Nora RobertsElly in Bloom by Colleen OakesThe Language of Flowers by Vanessa DiffenbaughForget Me Knot by Sue MargolisThe Ladybug Jinx by Tonya Kappes
Fictional Florists
21st out of 81 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Drebbles
When Snuggles the clown is murdered and Abby's boyfriend, hunky ex-cop Marco is the chief suspect because he was the last one seen leaving Snuggle's house, Marco asks Abby to help find the real killer. Even though she's solved some murder cases in the past, Abby is very nervous about solving this one - if she fails, Marco could go to jail. But it won't be easy, when he was a cop Marco had a run in with Snuggles (Dennis Ryson) that resulted in Marco leaving the police force. Marco also had a fist ...more
Ana T.
I read the first book in this series a while ago. I wasn't too enthusiastic about it so although I already had this one in the TBR pile I didn't pick it up right away. Last week I was organising my books and I decided to read it and send it on its way as I don't plan to read the rest of the series.

Moondance
This installment starts during the annual Pickle Fest. A surly clown threatens Abby and Marco immediately comes to her rescue. When the clown is later found dead, Marco is the number one suspect. Abby offers to investigate for him since local law enforcement is determined to pin everything on Marco. Abby always seems to get herself into strange situations. An interview with a nosy neighbor that is very obviously mentally disturbed is just one of many. Oh and Abby gets to meet Mama Salvare. The d ...more
Connie Lynne
Look, these are not spectacularly good books, but they're reliable. I know the story is going to be formulaic (Abby stumbles upon trouble, gets angry at Marco over a woman, endures a lunch with Greg to get information, shoves her nose into a number of dangerous places, and eventually ends up in peril just as she solves the crime), but like a chain restaurant, it's a good place to go when I just want something of serviceable but not exquisite quality.

The Flower Shop Mysteries rate "Cheesecake Fac
Beverly
From the back of the book:

"Abby has been dating Marco --- ex-cop, bartender, and all-around hunk --- for several months when the Pickle Fest starts. But he's still a mystery to her. And after he disappears for a day, she's stunned to read in the paper: EX-COP QUESTIONED IN MAN'S DEATH. It seems the authorities have found Snuggles the Clown pushing up water-spurting daisies --- and Marco was the last person seen leaving Snuggle's house. Abby knows in her bones that he's innocent. But why, when hi
Jo
It's the annual Pickle Fest and Abby Knight is back again! After an unsettling encounter with Snuggles the Clown at the Pickle Fest parade, Abby is reminded again why she hates clowns so much. Later at the parade Marco and Snuggles end up getting into a fist fight, with Snuggles being taken away in cuffs. That evening, Snuggles is found dead and the last person seen leaving his house is Marco. With Snuggles dead and Marco the prime suspect, Abby has a week to try and find out what really happene ...more
Susan
Fmorlan
Abby Knight runs a flower shop. This episode involves clowns, pickle festival, cakes, Marco's family and of course- abby's cast of characters. During the festcal, Abby is accosted by a clown who Marco goes after. When the clown is found dead the only suspect is Marco. She takes on the task of finding the teal culprit by interviewing people in town. Unfortunately, the police are not helpful or do they want her assistance. I loved this one to see Abby taking the lead. Great cozy mystery.
Kimberly
This is the fifth book in the Flower Shop Mysteries by Kate Collins. In this installment Marco is accused of killing a part-time clown. With the Captain of the police force and DA refusing to look further Marco enlists Abby's help to clear his name.

I liked this one better than the last two mainly because there was no Jillian in this one. Abby's jealousy over every female that even looked in Marco's direction got old but as a whole she was better at keeping her mouth shut when needed in this one
Shonda
Abby is attending the annual Pickle Fest with her best friend Nikki, when she has an encounter with one of the clowns. She innocently mentions this to Marco and then learns the clown has been murdered. With Marco as the only suspect, Abby really has to put her amateur sleuthing to work. To complicate matters, Marco is seen with a gorgeous woman at the Pickle Fest and his mother is in town. Abby knows Marco is innocent despite the evidence against him. Can Abby find the real killer and clear Marc ...more
Vanessa
Sep 15, 2008 Vanessa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cozy Mystery readers
Shelves: mystery
Ok, so I will probably say what everyone else has said about this series... First off, I found the first few in the series charming, if a little far-fetched or tedious, what with the characters being under developed and paper-thin.
Wait, I still do like this series! But this book really pushed my reality-o-meter. I really dislike the relationship between Abby and Marco; it is so cliche and unrealistic. I cannot put my finger on it. Why is she in love with someone who she isn't even officially da
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Sarah Adamson
This is a nice cozy mystery starring the owner of a flower shop. This is only the second book I have read in the series and it continues to have fun and interesting characters, nice use of the flower shop and botanical knowledge whilst also bring an easy to read fun mystery.
Linda
Another fun adventure this time with Marco turning to Abby to help clear him after he has been accused of murder. This seems to have helped to deepen their relationship. Fun story and Abby doesn't give her detection skills nearly enough credit.
Luffy Monkey D.
Despite the fact that many things happen from beginning to end, something's wrong with this book. I can't put my finger on it. I know that the heft of the book is good, but the beginning is so dilute that it's impossible to ensconce oneself into the story or to sink our teeth into the mystery. Maybe too many new characters got shoved in the book. Maybe little subplots had stakes I couldn't care less about (the feathered art, the Mark/Marco paternity, Reilly's role, Kellerman's bizarre show up). ...more
Michelle Palmer
I completely enjoyed the interactions between Abby and Marco. His mother was great getting introduced into this book. Abby was very enjoyable and like seeing her character develop.
Nikki
Loved this one as much as the others. Love Abby :D
Kay
Good story, kept me interested until the end.
I really liked the themed mysteries and these are good ones. I like that the main character in this is so human - you can appreciate the messes she gets into. I like to that in every one of these the author allows Abbey to wax poetic on her love of flowers. So often in the themed mysteries I feel like the author just uses it as a gimic rather than a passion - and you can actually feel the passion for flowers in these books.

I also really like the side kicks in these books and the crazy mom with
Tricia Douglas
This was my first book by Collins and so I spent much of this story getting to know the characters. The mystery was good, but I wish Marco would have been a little more attentive to his "girlfriend" and shown more love and concern for her helping him get off the hook for the crime he supposedly committed. I'll read a couple more in this Flower Shop series and see where they go. Four stars is stretching it a bit, because I needed a little more action in the story.
Sandy
Mar 25, 2015 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a clean mystery
Recommended to Sandy by: Goodreads site
Very interesting book. Abby Night owner of the flower shop, helps Marco prove that he is innocent of murder.You have no Idea who the real culprit is till the very end. Lots of twists and turns. a little slow at the beginning, other that that very good. I would highly recommend this book to others. It is listed as #5 in (flower shop mysteries). Didn't realize this until I started reading. I guess I will have to get #1 and go from there. It is a clean read mystery.
Sassychassy
I think this one was my favorite so far. This time it's Marco that's in the hot seat and Abby has to meddle her little heart out to get him off the hook. Marco adn Abby's relationship starts out a little rocky in this one but ends up SOOOO sweet! This is quickly becoming one of my fave series! Absolutely loving them! And they are super quick reads, perfect for my busy wedding planning schedule! :0) Off to the next one!
Patty
Abby is on the hunt again. Marco has been accused of murder and she has to find out who really did it to save her love.

There are scary clowns, nutty parents and mystic crazies all through this story but the one thing missing is the self-centered cousin Jillian. I didn't miss her a bit.

The mystery was complicated and I didn't see the ending coming.

I'm looking forward reading more in this series.
Sara
The fifth in the series, and it was ok. This book was missing that special something that made the first four books compelling. Abby leaves her flower shop constantly and I kept wondering how she got any work done. Abby is running around town trying to prove her short-time boyfriend Marco innocent of murder. I dont know what was missing, but this book was just a little empty.
Kimberly
Book 5 in the flower shop mysteries. I love this series. The character are fun and I always enjoy the stories. Abby, who is the local florist, has the fun task of hiding her mom's hideous feather creations in her shop and trying to solve a murder that her boyfriend Marco is accused of! Along the way you meet some interesting characters and laugh with her usual sidekicks.
Melinda
I like the Marco and Abby relationship. In this novel Marco is the prime suspect in a murder of a clown, he seeks Abby's help in clearing I
Him.
Lizz
I must admit this book made me nervous. This time, it is the knight in shining armor that has his hands tied. It showed a different side of Marco's personality that really made me feel empathetic. Abby seemed to be more on her own than ever to solve the mystery. All in all, it really kept me on the edge of my seat.
Debi Nolan
Interesting plot
Babs
Feb 06, 2015 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
One of my favorite series and it never gets dull. I read this in half a day did not want to put it down at all. I was eager to see how Abby was going to clean Marco's name and I did not figure out who did the real murder till the end. A great read as always and getting ready to start the next one.
Amber
This is a great series! Funny, entertaining and a thoroughly enjoyable mystery!
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery #5)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
Indiana native and former teacher Kate Collins is the author of the national best-selling Flower Shop Mysteries, featuring feisty florist Abby Knight and the zany crew at Bloomers. Her books have made the New York Times Best-seller's list, Barnes & Noble mass bestsellers lists, the Independent Booksellers lists, and are available in large print editions in the U.S. and the UK.

Kate's historica
More about Kate Collins...

A Flower Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Shoots to Kill (A Flower Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery, #1) Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2) Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3) Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4) Shoots to Kill (A Flower Shop Mystery, #7)