Start by marking “The Healer” as Want to Read:
The Healer

The Healer

"...[a] haunting literary SF novel...original, surreal and extraordinary" --Publishers Weekly

"In The Healer [Michael Blumlein, M.D.] combines his insider's knowledge and unflappable descriptive style with fantastical elements from what could be the far future, for a compelling portrait of a man whose talent is simultaneously obsession, curse and transformative magic." --L
Published March 4th 2011 by Pyr (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Healer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healer

David Agranoff
I have certain friends and colleagues whose opinions are a lock for me. This author was suggested to me by one such lock. Although this novel was not specifically recommended me to me I got it because it was the one the library had. Once I saw the blurbs on the cover from Kim Stanley Robinson and Ursula K. Leguin I brought it home and started right away.

At first I was annoyed by the inclusion of MD after the author’s name but in this case Blumlein being a doctor is a valid thing to point out. On
Jen MP
Jan 12, 2014 Jen MP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I almost gave this book five stars - almost.
This is probably one of the most unique books I've read in a while. The author clearly had a lot of creativity while writing, and he incorporated his medical knowledge quite frequently into the book. This was a feature I liked. It gave realness to a book that otherwise might have been too unreal for some to swallow.
I have to admit, it was a strange book, but I really enjoyed it. I felt as if Payne was easy to relate to. You could see his character deve
Græme Ravenscroft
Fuck did I just read?
Bruce
Aug 16, 2009 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
According to goodreads, 2 stars means "it was OK." Sorry, but in the Bruce rating system 2 stars means, I read the whole thing, and it was lame. One cannot get any worse except one star, which means I did not finish it. I'm not sure what sort of value a 5 star system has when 4 out of 5 of the stars are positive, but anyway...

I've become aware lately while reading that there is a certain point in a book where "things start to happen." My level of interest suddenly increases, enough background is
a good book undone by its ending. after a book filled with insight into every healing, the last healing, which is so crucial, is hidden from us. then the character takes a completely uncharacteristic turn and the last few pages covers way too much unexplained landscape.
Jeff Gillenkirk
Sep 14, 2011 Jeff Gillenkirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving book by a great writer. Blumlein takes you into another world -- or a better version of this one -- by virue of his writing alone.
Courtney
I got about halfway through and gave up - I like sci-fi, but this just didn't interest me.
Jeff
Aug 14, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, until the end. It seemed too rushed.
Daniel Burton-Rose
Sep 09, 2011 Daniel Burton-Rose rated it really liked it
Profound in it's own way, but I missed the harsh edge of The Brains of Rats. A novel by an author at peace with himself and his place in the world.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2008
Lou Peeples
Lou Peeples rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2009
Leia
Leia rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2008
Scarlett
Scarlett rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
caracal-eyes
caracal-eyes rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Tegwyn
Tegwyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2010
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Chantal
Chantal rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2009
Amaranda
Amaranda rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Bruce Flynn
Bruce Flynn rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2008
Vince
Vince rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Christopher Conlon
Christopher Conlon rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2010
Maudie
Maudie rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2011
Alexis Roy
Alexis Roy rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Zephyr
Zephyr rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2009