Start by marking “My Lost Daughter” as Want to Read:
My Lost Daughter

My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester #4)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  46 reviews

Published (first published August 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about My Lost Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lost Daughter

Amy
Donna Kass
This book bothered me on many levels- the most glaring being: who would pick a mental hospital from the internet without checking it out first (especially if you're a judge). Speaking of the judge- I cannot imagine this woman actually putting this job in front of the well-being of her child- especially since the head judge despised her.

The mystery as to who the serial killer was was also very thin. It actually did not make sense in the end. I think it was a way of bringing the new FBI characters
Heather
The storylines didn't really come together well (the whole FBI thing was kind of out of left field) and the dialogue wasn't too great. Not a terrible book, it passed the time and the story kept moving well. The ending felt very forced though, overall there was too much going on and the story didn't feel cohesive.
Diane
A series of stupid choices made this novel painful to read!
E Wilson
William Bentrim
My Lost Daughter by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg

A willful spoiled and deeply scarred daughter must come to grips with both her own self identity and her feelings for her mother. The confines of law school and a mental institution, together with the cast of someone flew over a cuckoo nest provide the setting for Shana Forrester’s explosive experiences.

The dual story line was a bit weak. The primary focus was on Lily and Shana Forester. There was not enough written about FBI agent Mary Steven’s and her
Lenore Webb
In reading My Lost Daughter by Nancy Taylor Rosenburg, my fears were put on paper. But of course here we had a kick ass woman to make sure all became right again. You know you don't cross a woman and never by hurting her family.

Lily Forrester is the main character here. She is hard ass judge who tries to help those in need. While trying to focus on her courtroom she is thrown for a loop when her own College Girl, Shana starts having wild erratic behavior. Looking like she is going to drop out of
Fiction State Of Mind
Lily Forrester is a tough judge in Ventura County, California, who has overcome adversity and heartache to achieve a position where she can help those who can’t help themselves. The current case before her is the sensational murder trial of a woman who tortured and killed her beautiful two-year-old son. Lily is determined to see justice done but she’s thrown for a loop when she receives word that her own daughter, Shana, is on the verge of dropping out of law school. Fearing for her daughter’s m ...more
Sharon Mackay
First review but feel I need to do so. I absolutely love almost everything that Nancy Taylor Rosenberg has written. However, I was disappointed in this book. I did get it on audio - and I'm glad I did, as I had to fast forward often because it was some of the writing (literally, verbatim!) from her last book and I didn't care to rehash what I had already read previously. I was surprised that it what was written in another book would literally be "copied" into what I was expecting to be a new boo ...more
Laurel-Rain
In this exciting, page-turning book, we follow the travails of Lily Forrester and her daughter Shana. We met them in a previous book, "The Cheater," and learned a little bit of their troubles—Lily's unhappy marriage to Shana's father; a night (after the divorce) when Lily and Shana were both raped; and then the murder of Shana's father some time later.

Now they are still dealing with the aftermath all these years later. Lily's career is about the only thing she can be proud of at this point: she
Cheryl
Lily Forrester is preparing for a really high profile case. Lily is a judge. Though, Lily is really busy, she is worried about her daughter, Shana. Shana is not attending her classes and avoiding her calls. Lily rushes to Shana’s aid. Shana is having a mental breakdown. Lily can’t stop what she is doing to watch and care for Shana, so she admits Shana to Whitehall, a psychiatric hospital.

While Lily is occupied with the trial case, Shana is in hell…literally. There is something not right with th
Orchid
The second half of My Lost Daughter was by far the best part of the book, after the prologue that is, the web the author had woven up to that point made it quite hard to put down until the very end.
Some of the best written parts of the book were after Lily had her daughter, Shana, committed to Whitehall; and how she was in danger of losing her sanity and her life, but also how she come to both loathe and enjoy her time there, so good.
If I had to pick a favorite character from this book, I woul
Michelle
Had I realized that this was a continuation of a story, I probably would have bypassed My Lost Daughter. It would have saved me the time it took for me to speed read through this rather blah story. There is something about a character who has survived being raped, two divorces, murdering the wrong man, the murder of her ex-husband, and the politics to get a seat on the Superior Court of Ventura County that is more than unbelievable; it becomes a bit unbearable as well.

The story itself is extreme
Kristen
If you love great legal thrillers, you'll love the continuing series of Lily and Shana Forrester. Lily's in the middle of the head-lining case, straight from the news, when she's worried about her daughter Shana and the distant gap between them. Things still haven't been the same. Shana's life is falling apart. When Lily visits her, she's worried about the mess she made and the lies Shana told. Convinced she needs help, she sends her to Whitehall, when things aren't what they seemed for her medi ...more
Margaret1358 Joyce
The plot and pacing in this intelligent and very tense legal thriller is remarkable. The characters are believable and the scary fictional depiction of individuals in the US legal and medical medical communities is also believable and thus exceptionally mind-boggling. A fascinating, if unnerving, read!!
Sharon
Lily is a tough, and a bit abrupt when it comes to dealing with her daughter Shana. She does love her and is hard pressed to know how to help her when she beomes concerned enough to fly out to see her after hearing how distressed she is on the phone. Her concerns become magnified after seeing her daughter in person, and she makes a bad mistake in stopping in at a mental health hospital for what she hopes will be some medication to calm her daughter down. Her daughter was undeniably stressed and ...more
George Miles
I have liked most of Rosenberg's books. And have appreciated the strong, but flawed, character of Lily Forrester. But this book was only OK. Way too much flashback from prior books. Plot a little too farfetched. I'll probably read more of her books, but she is not on the top of my list any more.
Cristy
I've read a number of Rosenberg's novels, beginning with her first, also starring Lily and Shana. However, this book was painful to get through. The characters made egregiously stupid decisions and in many situations, were quite unsympathetic. What started out as a serial killer tale became a commentary on the mucked up US medical system, specifically private, for-profit facilities and mental health treatment.

I'm not sure what happened here, but I hope for Rosenberg's sake, it was an aberration
Alicia
Quit after 100 pages. Perplexing writing, including some sentences that didn't really follow the rules of that pesky formula of "correct grammar," and paragraph upon paragraph of non sequitur explanations of non-existent questions, as well as endless descriptions of appearances and characters who seemed painfully oblivious to themselves and their thoughts, all led me to give up on what at first brush seemed like it could be an interesting read.

Stylistically: Glenn Beck meets Bill O'Reilly meets
Alison
This book was plucked off the new mystery shelf at the public library, like so much of what I read. More implausible than many other books, and full of odd characters who are surprisingly untroubled when they learn that their newly beloved is, whoops, a murderer who has, whoops, killed the wrong person. (I am not giving anything away with this revelation--this earlier murder is not relevant to the plot twists of this book.)
RatingReads
Rated R for strong/frequent foul language and sexual reference, strong crude language, frequent implicit and explicit sexual content, and strong drinking, smoking, and other drug use. And also for lots of gore and mature themes.
Definitely not suitable for anyone under 18yrs. Lets just say there were many pages that I had to skip due to questionable content.
Brooke Wilson
I really liked this book. I loved how Lily and her daughter finally resolved their issues from the past. I am glad the author had closed out all questions that would have been asked such as what happened to Alex's family and Whitehall. That was one happily ever after I was glad to read bc it definitely made me have anxiety.
Sometimes I wonder why I persist and finish books that I don't love. Hmmm. I had a great deal of trouble with the writing in this one - much of the dialogue seemed forced and unnatural. I think this is the last book by this author that I will try. Too bad.
Jessica
This is slow-moving at times, but it seems more realistic than other crime fiction/suspense type novels, so it held me. The story is a good one, and made better by the sense of reality. The characters are interesting and identifiable.
Millicent
story about corrupt psychiatric hospitals, too much religion inserted in the story, mother-daughter team with long history of high drama. unbelievable series of events - but compelling read.
Melissa
I was very disappointed in this book. It sounded good, thought it would be a real nail bitter, but it fell short. It was very predictable.
Linda Sophis
Wonderful book. Better than I thought it would be. Kept you going to the very end. Worth reading. Makes you really think.
Alan
Not quite as storng as some of her prior novels. more here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Antonio
Aug 04, 2011 Antonio marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
It seems well-written, but after 80 pages I just couldn't stand spending any more time with the main character.
Joanna
Good read ... This was my first book I read by Nancy ....I will read more by this author in the future ...
  • A Toast to Murder (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #6)
  • Forbidden Passion
  • Damaged (Kate Lange #1)
  • Lost Lake
  • Blood of the Damned (The Embraced, #4)
  • The Dark of Day
  • Two Lethal Lies
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • False Convictions (Casey Jordan, #3)
  • Under Oath
  • You Can Run...
  • 101 Things I Learned ® in Film School
  • Bad Faith (Butch Karp #24)
  • Caught In The Web (How I Survived Middle School, #9)
  • Still the One
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • Not Lost Forever: My Story of Survival
  • Tunnel Vision
With a BA in English and 5 years as a photographic model behind her, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg studied criminology. She served in the Dallas Police Department, New Mexico State Police, Ventura Police Department and as an Investigative Probation Officer in Court Services for the Country of Ventura where she handled major crimes. She lives in California.
More about Nancy Taylor Rosenberg...

Lily Forrester (4 books)
  • Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)
Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1) Abuse Of Power First Offense Trial By Fire Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)