Start by marking “The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness” as Want to Read:
The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness

The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness

Leadership is the most crucial choice one can make—it is the decision to step out of darkness into the light.

Bestselling author and spiritual guide Deepak Chopra invites you to become the kind of leader most needed today: a leader with vision who can make that vision real. Chopra has been teaching leadership to CEOs and other top executives for eight years, and the pat
Published December 28th 2010 by Harmony (first published August 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul of Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul of Leadership

giao
Oct 28, 2013 giao rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, favorites
I usually don't like self help books but have been searching for ways to learn about the role of a leader. I have struggled to understand why some leaders are afraid (and/or refuse) to grow deep emotional connections to empower their team. Chopra gave clear and necessary tools to expand my interest in collaborative work and how to sustain integrity in my practice. I think he provides a very zen approach to modern society.
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: muse-fodder
I almost hate to admit it--Chopra has birthed so many cliches--but I really enjoyed this book. Not only that, I was inspired by it. So much so that I'm considering picking up copies for my coworkers. It's not that he says anything new; it's that he is very good at summarizing eternal truths and creating "action lists" out of them, without dumbing them down. Highly recommended for anyone who is wrestling with questions of power and leadership, and wants a deeper approach to handling the role of a ...more
Amy
Feb 24, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Not only is this a wonderful book for upper management, it provided some very interesting ideas and exercises for becoming the manager of your life, or whatever your sphere of influence is. This book is so much better than most of the business management books out there, and I think every manager should be required to read it!
Asma
Nov 18, 2013 Asma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book the writer who is Deeper Chopra laid his focus on one of the most important life skill, which is leadership. However Chopra’s definition of leadership does not only include those individuals with special attributes, but he views leadership as a potential skill to any person who can get inspiration from his soul to become a leader. He believes that being a successful leader requires evolving passion to what you do. The book is divided into three parts: in the first part he defines th ...more
Melanie
Sep 25, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Uplifiting and enlightening. I have posted the acronym LEADERS in my office to constantly remind me to Look and Listen, creating opportunities or take advantage of opportunities for Emotional Bonding, to make sure that I remain Aware of what is going on around me, the impact that I have on others and how I am allowing others to influence me, to remember to Do, to take action, to Empower myself and those around me to strive to be better, to reach higher, to dream bigger, to be Responsible for my ...more
Mckinley
Dec 13, 2013 Mckinley rated it it was ok
L -look and listen -- observe, analysis, feeling, incubation
E -emotional bonding -- emotional freedom, shared enthusiasm, caring for other (their strengths, self-esteem), relationship building, nonviolent communication, conflict resolution
A -awareness -- centeredness, self-motivation, coherence, insight, creativity, inspiration, transcendence
D -doing -- action oriented, role modeling, feedback, persistence
E -empowerment -- trust, compassion, stability, hope,
R -responsibility -- self
S -synchron
Marisa Renteria
Feb 02, 2014 Marisa Renteria rated it it was amazing
Very very good read, a breath of fresh air from the majority of business leadership titles. I need to warn you, this is not for everyone, I am afraid many would misjudge this book if they have not read Chopra before. I personally could have done book clubs for it. My former HR boss let me borrow it, and it was a very pleasant read.
Carrie
Mar 17, 2011 Carrie rated it it was ok
This was decent information being delivered, and while Deepak's words themselves can often be inspiring, his accent actually makes the audiobook less valuable. He is difficult to follow. At the same time, I was expecting more from the guts of the book. These ideas seemed to be on a very basic (maybe obvious) level. I felt like I was finishing it just to get it over with.
Jane
Jun 12, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed and was inspired by this book. So inspired, in fact, that I'm going to buy myself and a few friends our own copies; it's not just for managers or leaders, but good guidelines and suggestions for life. Chopra is not necessarily saying anything new, but he pulls together a roadmap with actions items that gets the mind - and soul - paying attention.
Wafa Shehab
كتاب تنمية بشرية، يتكون من ثلاث أجزاء :
الجزء الأول تفصيل وتحليل معنى وأسياسيات القيادة. والجزء الثاني والثالث عن الروح وكيف نسيطر عليها.

يهدف الكتاب لتوجيه القارئ للمسار الصحيح نحو القيادة وتحقيق الطموح وأيضا تصحيح بعض الإعتقادات.

كتاب جميل يدفعك نحو القمة بطريقة دقيقة وعلمية.
Dina London
Feb 25, 2011 Dina London rated it it was amazing
This is such an incredible, little book. I'm actually going to buy it and read it again. If you want to be a conscious, awake and intentional leader...in any aspect of your life...you have to read this book.
Kari Olfert
May 11, 2017 Kari Olfert rated it it was amazing
I was skeptical going in to read The Soul of Leadership because it wasn't brand new, and for me, Chopra has become a little cliche over time. So I was super surprised that this book spoke to me and gave me multiple epiphanies 😂 which is ultimately the reason I gave it a 5 Star. The exact book that I needed at the exact right time.

{I should note that I'm going to be reading several leadership books which is why I choose this one in the first place, the library had 2 books ready and this was one
Radhika Sood
Jan 04, 2017 Radhika Sood rated it it was amazing
A motivational book indeed!
whichwaydidshego?
Feb 21, 2017 whichwaydidshego? rated it liked it
It has great information and is definitely enriching, but is largely geared for specific kinds of leaders. That said, I am glad I read it as it has valuable insights.
Erika Birdsley
Feb 05, 2013 Erika Birdsley rated it liked it
I began reading this book in the summer of 2012, on a trip to Trinity in California, with my friend Randy.

This book is more of a textbook, than a "reading" type of book, like a novel.

I am still on page 66.

I like most of Deepak Chopra's material, but sometimes I feel it is impractical in Western society and leaves out the evolution of people who don't start out with a silver spoon in their mouth, as he did, with good parents, a good home environment, (basically having all his emotional, physical,
Leah Wescott
Jul 03, 2016 Leah Wescott rated it it was amazing
A leadership book that feels fresh and yet old as the universe.

I love studying supervision and leadership but most books focus on value$ > values. I've always prided myself on being a thinker and a doer - the yin and yang of the work world. I needed the wake-up call that there is a third category - being - that is more important than either of the first two. Ding dong, Deepak is calling.

The thinking part of me loves Chopra's spirituality and theoretical big picture. The doer part of me appre
Vishnu
Sep 17, 2014 Vishnu rated it it was ok
This book is kind of all over the place. There are a lot better books on leadership out there. This book attempts to span far too much material, from the minutiae of day-to-day management to "synchronizing" oneself to the wholeness of the universe. As a result, it's pretty thin and not very substantive.

Still, leadership is a great topic to learn more about, and some of the ideas presented are really quite useful. It's just unfortunate that the gold in this book is buried in so, so much of Chopra
Joyce
Nov 17, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it
Shelves: work-related
I found this a rather warm & fuzzy management read. It did have some good points from a more feeling/emotional stand point. It also gave some excellent advice for finding your way. I'd probably recommend it to someone who was early in their career or just thinking about a leadership/managerial role. Within this train of thought, there was some good review information for me about folk who tend to be more feeling/emotive. As someone who is more product driven, the feeling/emotive aspect are l ...more
Guy Byars
Oct 24, 2014 Guy Byars rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for everybody, not just businessfolk or leaders. Chopra writes a highly relevant book more on the subject of self awareness than of leadership, and refreshingly he doesn't spend any time trying to sell his system or his own personal beliefs. Nearly every business book spends roughly 20% of itself in this rather annoying endeavor, and for Chopra to engage the reader as a listener rather than a consumer actually increased the impact he was able to have over me.
Synthia
Apr 21, 2013 Synthia rated it really liked it
Chopra has coined the acronym-L.E.A.D.E.R.S.-for his leadership system, starting with "Look and Listen" and ending with "Synchronicity." And the stories of two leaders who made millions following the deepest inclinations of their souls (which Chopra argues is the only path to true success) make this leadership system appear simple to employ. Its basis is the idea that true leaders use their power to achieve visionary goals, but a leader must also have integrity.
LemontreeLime
Jan 15, 2011 LemontreeLime rated it it was ok
Definitely the kind of book you want when in an upper to middle management work setting, which I am not, so it didn't really speak to me directly. But after thinking about it a while, the self told stories in the end of the book about how Icebreakers clothing and another nonprofit organization got started was really quite interesting.
Bebe Burnside
Nov 14, 2011 Bebe Burnside rated it it was amazing
The art of leadership is explored in the small but powerful book. Deepak Chopra breaks leadership down into an anagram:
Look & Listen, Emotional Bonding, Awareness, Doing, Empowerment, Responsibility, Synchronicity.
The last chapter is two examples of leaders who follow this style and how they are changing the world
Rebecca Johnson
Aug 02, 2011 Rebecca Johnson rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the book, but I really think it is geared for upper managers. Sure, there are kernels of truth and exercises that will benefit any reader...and it is a good foundation for those that aspire to lead and be leaders among their peers. But I know a few managers that could seriously be impacted by reading it now.
Todd Myers
Oct 12, 2014 Todd Myers rated it really liked it
A very good fast read with an amazing amount of information in it. I plan to reread it at some point and really get into some of the exercises in here. I would recommend this for anyone in management positions or roles of leadership, even if you aren't this is still worth reading and can help you grow so much.
Deb
Nov 24, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing
Was fortunate to be able to take an executive learning class at Kellogg-Northwestern with Mr. Chopra as one of the instructors. His instruction really added to the awesomeness of this book. Highly recommend!
Arminius
Mar 09, 2011 Arminius rated it liked it
I found Deepak Chopra's book a little dull. I already know and practice things he suggests like "disagree but do not hold a grudge." He states "everything comes from the soul" is the same as "everything comes from your subconscious mind" that Dr. Joseph Murphy details in his great book.
Chad Fairey
Sep 21, 2011 Chad Fairey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-booklist
Chopra of course offers sage advice on leadership, but I found this lacking in the really, raw and incisive observations for which I was yearning. A good summary of some timeliness principles, no doubt, but not an earth-shattering treatise on leadership large or small.
Jason Bae
Apr 03, 2016 Jason Bae rated it really liked it
Very enlightening book about leadership, but more about spirituality than leadership. It definitely reinforced Chopra's incredible ideas about the soul, and how to prosper. The only negative is that some of the leadership ideas seemed a bit forced.
Sandeep Kulshrestha
Jan 18, 2013 Sandeep Kulshrestha rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on Leadership which I have ever read because it connects the inner consciousness and spirituality with a larger vision of a leader. This is the time for Leaders to reflect and become visionaries rather than being part of either a corporate or a political rut.
Nikita Sodells
Apr 18, 2015 Nikita Sodells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would call leadership 101

Author include basic what every leader must know. He repeat his basis so it's easy memorize.

I expected more. I don't know why it's book of secrets. No secrets there
  • Servant of the Gods (Servant of the Gods, #1)
  • The Elephant and the Flea: Reflections of a Reluctant Capitalist
  • The Samson Effect
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time
  • After Life
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • Spirit Guides & Angel Guardians: Contact Your Invisible Helpers
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Silent Power [With CD]
  • Executive in Sweatpants: A Handbook for Launching Your Work from Home Career
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • Relativity Simply Explained
  • Wicca + Living Wicca + The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews
  • OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 2
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...

“WHAT MAKES A GOOD LISTENER? 1. Not interrupting. 2. Showing that you empathize: not criticizing, arguing, or patronizing. 3. Establishing a physical sense of closeness without invading personal space. 4. Observing body language and letting yours show you are not distracted but attentive. 5. Offering your own self-disclosures, but not too many, or too soon. 6. Understanding the context of the other person’s life. 7. Listening from all four levels: body, mind, heart, and soul.” 2 likes
“Awareness ultimately has no boundaries. It exists in this world but endlessly goes beyond it. The world's great wisdom traditions all derive from a higher reality that is indescribable but can be experienced. This is the greatest wonder and source of awe. As the ancient Indian sages declare, “This isn't knowledge that you learn. It's knowledge that you become.” When you fully absorb this insight, you know what it means to transcend. You don't need to travel anywhere; all of reality exists in you. You exemplify wholeness because you are united with everything and everyone around you. You exist to demonstrate that human beings can reach the infinite, and by simply being who you are, you help others get there.” 0 likes