Start by marking “The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness” as Want to Read:
The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness

The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Leadership is the most crucial choice one can make—it is the decision to step out of darkness into the light.

Bestselling author and spiritual guide Deepak Chopra invites you to become the kind of leader most needed today: a leader with vision who can make that vision real. Chopra has been teaching leadership to CEOs and other top executives for eight years, and the path ou
Published December 28th 2010 by Harmony (first published August 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul of Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul of Leadership

giao
I usually don't like self help books but have been searching for ways to learn about the role of a leader. I have struggled to understand why some leaders are afraid (and/or refuse) to grow deep emotional connections to empower their team. Chopra gave clear and necessary tools to expand my interest in collaborative work and how to sustain integrity in my practice. I think he provides a very zen approach to modern society.
Stephanie
I almost hate to admit it--Chopra has birthed so many cliches--but I really enjoyed this book. Not only that, I was inspired by it. So much so that I'm considering picking up copies for my coworkers. It's not that he says anything new; it's that he is very good at summarizing eternal truths and creating "action lists" out of them, without dumbing them down. Highly recommended for anyone who is wrestling with questions of power and leadership, and wants a deeper approach to handling the role of a ...more
Amy
Not only is this a wonderful book for upper management, it provided some very interesting ideas and exercises for becoming the manager of your life, or whatever your sphere of influence is. This book is so much better than most of the business management books out there, and I think every manager should be required to read it!
Asma
In this book the writer who is Deeper Chopra laid his focus on one of the most important life skill, which is leadership. However Chopra’s definition of leadership does not only include those individuals with special attributes, but he views leadership as a potential skill to any person who can get inspiration from his soul to become a leader. He believes that being a successful leader requires evolving passion to what you do. The book is divided into three parts: in the first part he defines th ...more
Melanie
Uplifiting and enlightening. I have posted the acronym LEADERS in my office to constantly remind me to Look and Listen, creating opportunities or take advantage of opportunities for Emotional Bonding, to make sure that I remain Aware of what is going on around me, the impact that I have on others and how I am allowing others to influence me, to remember to Do, to take action, to Empower myself and those around me to strive to be better, to reach higher, to dream bigger, to be Responsible for my ...more
Mckinley
L -look and listen -- observe, analysis, feeling, incubation
E -emotional bonding -- emotional freedom, shared enthusiasm, caring for other (their strengths, self-esteem), relationship building, nonviolent communication, conflict resolution
A -awareness -- centeredness, self-motivation, coherence, insight, creativity, inspiration, transcendence
D -doing -- action oriented, role modeling, feedback, persistence
E -empowerment -- trust, compassion, stability, hope,
R -responsibility -- self
S -synchron
Carrie
This was decent information being delivered, and while Deepak's words themselves can often be inspiring, his accent actually makes the audiobook less valuable. He is difficult to follow. At the same time, I was expecting more from the guts of the book. These ideas seemed to be on a very basic (maybe obvious) level. I felt like I was finishing it just to get it over with.
Jane
I really enjoyed and was inspired by this book. So inspired, in fact, that I'm going to buy myself and a few friends our own copies; it's not just for managers or leaders, but good guidelines and suggestions for life. Chopra is not necessarily saying anything new, but he pulls together a roadmap with actions items that gets the mind - and soul - paying attention.
Marisa Renteria
Very very good read, a breath of fresh air from the majority of business leadership titles. I need to warn you, this is not for everyone, I am afraid many would misjudge this book if they have not read Chopra before. I personally could have done book clubs for it. My former HR boss let me borrow it, and it was a very pleasant read.
Dina London
This is such an incredible, little book. I'm actually going to buy it and read it again. If you want to be a conscious, awake and intentional leader...in any aspect of your life...you have to read this book.
Vishnu
This book is kind of all over the place. There are a lot better books on leadership out there. This book attempts to span far too much material, from the minutiae of day-to-day management to "synchronizing" oneself to the wholeness of the universe. As a result, it's pretty thin and not very substantive.

Still, leadership is a great topic to learn more about, and some of the ideas presented are really quite useful. It's just unfortunate that the gold in this book is buried in so, so much of Chopra
Joyce
I found this a rather warm & fuzzy management read. It did have some good points from a more feeling/emotional stand point. It also gave some excellent advice for finding your way. I'd probably recommend it to someone who was early in their career or just thinking about a leadership/managerial role. Within this train of thought, there was some good review information for me about folk who tend to be more feeling/emotive. As someone who is more product driven, the feeling/emotive aspect are l ...more
Erika Birdsley
I began reading this book in the summer of 2012, on a trip to Trinity in California, with my friend Randy.

This book is more of a textbook, than a "reading" type of book, like a novel.

I am still on page 66.

I like most of Deepak Chopra's material, but sometimes I feel it is impractical in Western society and leaves out the evolution of people who don't start out with a silver spoon in their mouth, as he did, with good parents, a good home environment, (basically having all his emotional, physical,
Todd Myers
A very good fast read with an amazing amount of information in it. I plan to reread it at some point and really get into some of the exercises in here. I would recommend this for anyone in management positions or roles of leadership, even if you aren't this is still worth reading and can help you grow so much.
Nikita
I would call leadership 101

Author include basic what every leader must know. He repeat his basis so it's easy memorize.

I expected more. I don't know why it's book of secrets. No secrets there
Mannwi
يعطيك الكتاب المهارات التي تحتاج اليها حتى تكون قياديا عظيما ليس فقط في مجال العمل بل في جميع المجالات ، الحياة ، الاسرة ، العلاقات الاجتماعيه
Nita
Love the theory

Love the theory and application of the theory to real life. Theory was hard to get through but but worth it!
Tom Philpott
The best leadership book I have ever read, as it combines spirituality and practical leadership techniques.
Jake Parent
Really fun and inspiring read. It made me feel a little less crazy about the world.
Jose
Un libro excelente!
Guy Byars
I highly recommend this book for everybody, not just businessfolk or leaders. Chopra writes a highly relevant book more on the subject of self awareness than of leadership, and refreshingly he doesn't spend any time trying to sell his system or his own personal beliefs. Nearly every business book spends roughly 20% of itself in this rather annoying endeavor, and for Chopra to engage the reader as a listener rather than a consumer actually increased the impact he was able to have over me.
Synthia
Chopra has coined the acronym-L.E.A.D.E.R.S.-for his leadership system, starting with "Look and Listen" and ending with "Synchronicity." And the stories of two leaders who made millions following the deepest inclinations of their souls (which Chopra argues is the only path to true success) make this leadership system appear simple to employ. Its basis is the idea that true leaders use their power to achieve visionary goals, but a leader must also have integrity.
Saori Luna
Deepak Chopra escribe de forma que lo sientes al lado tuyo, aconsejándote, guiándote, iluminándote.
Un hermoso enfoque para el liderazgo.
Kirsty Kianifard
Great book if you want to be the kind of leader who comes from the soul! Was perfect for my field and as ever I love Deepak.
LemontreeLime
Definitely the kind of book you want when in an upper to middle management work setting, which I am not, so it didn't really speak to me directly. But after thinking about it a while, the self told stories in the end of the book about how Icebreakers clothing and another nonprofit organization got started was really quite interesting.
Rebecca Johnson
I enjoyed the book, but I really think it is geared for upper managers. Sure, there are kernels of truth and exercises that will benefit any reader...and it is a good foundation for those that aspire to lead and be leaders among their peers. But I know a few managers that could seriously be impacted by reading it now.
Bebe Burnside
The art of leadership is explored in the small but powerful book. Deepak Chopra breaks leadership down into an anagram:
Look & Listen, Emotional Bonding, Awareness, Doing, Empowerment, Responsibility, Synchronicity.
The last chapter is two examples of leaders who follow this style and how they are changing the world
Arminius
I found Deepak Chopra's book a little dull. I already know and practice things he suggests like "disagree but do not hold a grudge." He states "everything comes from the soul" is the same as "everything comes from your subconscious mind" that Dr. Joseph Murphy details in his great book.
Sandeep Kulshrestha
This is the best book on Leadership which I have ever read because it connects the inner consciousness and spirituality with a larger vision of a leader. This is the time for Leaders to reflect and become visionaries rather than being part of either a corporate or a political rut.
Chad Fairey
Chopra of course offers sage advice on leadership, but I found this lacking in the really, raw and incisive observations for which I was yearning. A good summary of some timeliness principles, no doubt, but not an earth-shattering treatise on leadership large or small.
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • The Samson Effect
  • After Life
  • Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • Servant of the Gods
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine