Start by marking “Sewing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Sewing for Dummies

Sewing for Dummies (For Dummies)

The most complete guide to sewing basics People are always looking for ways to cut expenses and be creative and stylish at the same time. Learning to sew is a great way to arm yourself with the skills to repair and create clothing and furnishings for yourself and your family for little to no cost. But learning how to sew and how to choose the tools and supplies to begin se ...more
Published August 5th 2010 by For Dummies (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sewing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sewing for Dummies

Alicia
Nov 13, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of the "dummy" books, then you will like this one. I know very little about sewing so I checked out this book from the library and I have to say I was very overwhelmed. The book is packed with a lot of infomation; almost too much for a beginner to process. If you are a beginner, I would suggest purchasing the book for future reference and only read the basics at first. A DVD would have been lovely as I prefer to watch sewing techniques, than look at hand drawn pictures.
Sharon
Dec 29, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really does start from the basics, which is totally what I need. This is the first 'for dummies' book I have read and I have to say, I'm a fan. It starts with describing all the tools and the basics like pinning a pattern to the fabric and how to cut the material, etc. So for those of you who have been sewing for awhile, you may not appreciate this like I did. It does have some tips and warnings that you may find interesting, but probably not worth purchasing.

I, on the other hand, got this
Beckstarr
Easy to understand, and plenty in depth when you really want to figure out a technique. Projects are way outdated, though.
Abby
Sep 24, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one who sews
Recommended to Abby by: abbymorel1106@gmail.com
Shelves: sewing
Sewing for Dummies is a typical "For Dummies" book. It has everything for the sew-er; from Beginner to Expert.

It has information on everything from how to repair a button to how to make furniture covers.

Even if you already know a lot about sewing, it's a good reference tool to have on your bookshelf.
Holly
Jun 26, 2008 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great on basic techniques and terminology. Some of the how-to's for things like lengthening the rise of pants, etc are very helpful. But most of the projects are weird, tacky, 80's crap. I would have preferred less of an emphasis on sewing for home decoration purposes. That said, it's a good reference book while learning to sew.
Tommy
May 20, 2009 Tommy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of the pictures are a little unclear at times but this books fits the bill as a good beginners book and a refresher course/reference book for people who are out of practice. I read the relevant parts but I'm sure this will be a valuable tool to me for some time.
Shelly
Jun 19, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a complete beginner, I found it very helpful. Things were explained in a way I understood, and while I probably wouldn't make any of the projects, it was an immediate help on the projects I am currently working on.
Judy Golden
I am learning to sew in a class. I got this book from our SF Public Library to learn more about machine sewing. It is a good source book. I am not working with patterns and most of the book is about pattern sewing so its the first one or two chapters that fit for me.
Hope
Mar 22, 2014 Hope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually love the "Dummy" books. But this one needs more illustrations to make the points clearer. Also, I am personally not that interested in garment sewing, so most of the book was irrelevant. Also, the pictures that are included in the center section seem very ... welll... dated...
Alison
Feb 04, 2008 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing reference book. I consult it nearly every time I do a project.
Katherine
Jan 20, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great way to start to learn the basics of sewing.
Angela Monaco
Feb 23, 2008 Angela Monaco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a dummy & this book is quite helpful.
Anna
Sep 11, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i learned lots about sewing from this book!!!
Nina
Jul 15, 2010 Nina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this on and off for about a month now. I just wish they had pictures in color. But pretty basic, which is what I need.
Cherie
A- Really informative and useful for new sewers; however, I wish some sewing books were written by people under 95 years old.
Andrea Alumbaugh-henry
Okay, not the best sewing companion.
Cecelia
Good for people who aren't familiar with the fundamentals or for those who need a quick refresher. I'd recommend borrowing not buying it though since it's pretty basic
Emily
Jul 24, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is actually a really fantastic book, and pretty much all you need (in addition to supplies) to get started sewing.
Anne
Aug 19, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great starting point for those about to start sewing or need a refresher
Marianna
Jul 19, 2011 Marianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
Tried to read, but I am less than a noob at sewing...and I need to take an actual class. I need to see someone doing all the stuff that is described in this book.
Fernanda
Nov 26, 2010 Fernanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paperback - I like this book a lot - wish there was a video with it - I guess I need some things demonstrated but good overall sewing book.
Eldra
Jun 10, 2012 Eldra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay for beginners.
Roy
Apr 09, 2010 Roy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Time for a refresh on this...my high school sewing career didn't take off as much as I would have liked it too. Gettin' out the Elna...
Amanda and tony schmidt
I really need this book
Amy
Jun 08, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book! i like the dummies books a lot better than the idiot books of their layout and starting from square one. i like that they assume you dont know a thing about the topic!
Dawn Salyer
Jul 30, 2007 Dawn Salyer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sewing dummies
good technical advice, maybe not as detailed as it could be for a beginner. Wanted more info on alterations.
Nickel
May 28, 2015 Nickel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sehr hilfreich
Penny R. Donelson
Penny R. Donelson rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Amy Elaine
Amy Elaine rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Funbrarian
Funbrarian rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Crocheting For Dummies (For Dummies (Sports & Hobbies))
  • Cooking Basics for Dummies
  • Genetics For Dummies
  • Logic For Dummies
  • Creating Web Pages For Dummies
  • Nutrition For Dummies
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-by-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • Big Book of Knitting
  • Art History For Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies