Start by marking “The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Sixties” as Want to Read:
The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Sixties

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Sixties (Politically Incorrect Guides)

Get ready to break on through to the other side as critically-acclaimed playwright and journalist Jonathan Leaf reveals the politically incorrect truth about one of the most controversial decades in historythe 1960s.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Sixties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Sixties

John
Jun 09, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, history
My least favorite of the PIG series so far, but still worth reading just to get a different perspective on the era. The book is insightful, but it lacks focus and is written in a snide, know-it-all tone. In the arts section, especially, author Jonathan Leaf steps way outside the confines of historical fact and instead takes on the role of music and film critic. That wouldn't be so bad, expect that Leaf--like most bad critics I don't care to listen to--talks as though art is a science and persona ...more
Justin
Mar 02, 2014 Justin rated it did not like it
So I was feeling particularly masochistic and skimmed the chapter on the civil rights movement and came away impressed by conservatives' ability to come super close to saying that civil rights activists were uppity whiners without quite saying it. I also loved the part when the scary radicals took over and started promoting racial hatred. I mean, not the racial hatred that led to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_T... but the kind that led to a lot of hurt feelings on the part of whites ( ...more
James
Feb 16, 2013 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: history-general
Lots of factual and date errors. Also lots of points of view that, while opinions, are decidedly bizarre, such as stating that Bob Dylan lacks any talent. On the one hand he lauds John Lennon for criticizing a part of the Students for a Democratic Society for praising Mao, on the other hand he calls Lennon "snarly."

The book makes some valid points about other 60's characters, but over-makes its case.
Zinger
Aug 08, 2010 Zinger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book zipped through this era briefly touching on many important tidbits that most Americans have never heard of. Being interested in this time period I have read many books on the subject so there was not very many things I learned.

Leaf has a straight forward and blunt way of saying things, which makes the book fun. I agreed with most of what he said, but I still like to listen to Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead.

Gary
Oct 09, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy books that seek to debunk liberal mythology. Liberal mythology runs deep and thick and I admire anyone who has the guts to go after it. This is a light read, not an in-depth expose'. Of particular interest are the chapters on the effect of the "Great Society" on the Black family and the Vietnam War. I question the conclusions of the chapter on the space program, I feel the program was worthy, even if it was expensive.
Shawn
Oct 23, 2011 Shawn rated it did not like it
This is literally the worst book of any kind I've ever read. It is an extremist right-wing manifesto parading about as a legitimate textbook. It believes it is correcting a "liberal bias" in other books, making it the Fox News of Textbooks. Truly a steaming pile.
Michael Tarpinian
This is the third P.I.G. book I have read. While i like them and the information I learn, they are coming from a negative perspective. So, they are a bit of a downer.

On balance, I really liked the book becuase it was informative and had a funny take on the world.
stormhawk
Not one of my favorite PIGs, although I appreciate all of them for their attempts to correct the misinformation of conventional wisdom. Although the book only addresses 10 years of American History, the reader is left feeling unsatisfied with the level of detail of the information.
John Stone
Apr 10, 2013 John Stone rated it it was ok
Skip this one. Too much opinion offered as fact. I especially disliked the music reviews. To paraphrase "Field of Dreams", I think he had two fifties and skipped right to the seventies.
Tom Clayton
Jun 18, 2015 Tom Clayton rated it it was amazing
Just incase you forgot or don't know.
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Pineowl
Pineowl rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2013
Leonides
Leonides rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Garn Birchell
Garn Birchell rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2013
Emily Bennett
Emily Bennett rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Bill B
Bill B rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Kirby Brunclik
Kirby Brunclik rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Av
Av rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Steven Shroyer
Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Andrew Alan
Andrew Alan rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2013
John Haire
John Haire rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Paul J Croeber
Paul J Croeber rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
John Collins
John Collins rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Patrick McGarry
Patrick McGarry rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2012
William
William rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Politically Incorrect Guides (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible (The Politically Incorrect Guides)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Socialism (The Politically Incorrect Guides)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Politically Incorrect Guides)

“In researching this book, I quickly discovered a surprising thing about the 1960s: the decade was not nearly as radical as we've been led to believe. In fact, the upheaval was really confined to a very narrow stratum of society. For the overwhelming majority of Americans, the 1960s was a conservative decade.” 0 likes
“Take just one well-known event: The Beatles' 1964 appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. This has been depicted with astonishing regularity as a pivotal cultural moment; in fact an entire movie -- I Wanna Hold Your Hand -- was built around it. And that Sullivan episode was indeed a major event in popular culture. But did you know that in 1961, 26 million people watched a CBS live broadcast of the first performance of a new symphony by classical composer Aaron Copland? Moreover, with all the attention that sixties rock groups receive, it may come as a surprise to learn that My Fair Lady was Columbia Records' biggest-selling album before the 1970s, beating out those of sixties icons Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and The Byrds.” 0 likes