Start by marking “Cherry Tree Lane (The Wiltshire Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cherry Tree Lane (The Wiltshire Girls, #1)

Cherry Tree Lane (The Wiltshire Girls #1)

1910 and Mattie Willitt is faced with an agonizing choice: marry the man her stepfather has chosen, or flee from Swindon. She and her sisters all choose to leave and go their own ways.

But Mattie gets lost in a thunderstorm, collapsing from exhaustion, sure she’s about to die. Widower John Kemble goes to investigate his son’s news that there’s a dead body in the lane, and b
Published September 13th 2010 by Allison and Busby (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Tree Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Tree Lane

Jynx
Oct 30, 2016 Jynx rated it liked it
Not sure about this series. I must've enjoyed it to a degree because I read all 3 books in the series within two weeks. I found the story-lines quite good but as the stories were growing to a close, events were rushed and detail skipped over, bringing the tales to a quick end. In the 2nd and 3rd books in the series, there was quite a bit of retelling so that one could easily pick up the story-lines from the previous book, but not really enough to make the books 'stand-alone' tales. OK for a ...more
Diana
Aug 27, 2014 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The scene is England during early part of the 20th century. Mattie and her two sisters run away from their abusive stepfather. Her sisters leave by train but she travels alone on foot. She becomes very ill and is rescued by Jacob, a widower, and his family. His neighbor, Miss Newington, has inherited a large house which is attached to extensive real estate property. She wants to return to her previous home so she hires Jacob as her manager. Eventually, Mattie's stepfather and his friend, a ...more
Den
Nov 29, 2012 Den rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bev Taylor
May 06, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
mattie flees home after her stepfather, who regularly beats her and is a miser, threatens her with a forced marriage. at the same time she persuades her 2 stepsisters to leave

she collapses in bad weather after walking miles and is rescued by jacob and slowly fights her way back from pneumonia

he is a widower with 2 children and they get on well but pressure is put onto them to marry and her stepfather is intent on tracking her down

add a wealthy woman into this mix who takes them under her wing
Anne Harvey
Oct 24, 2014 Anne Harvey rated it really liked it
The first in Anna Jacobs' Wiltshire Girls series. Since her mother died, Mattie has brought up her two half sisters. When she is told by her bullying stepfather that she has to marry someone she hates, she and her sisters (presumably the other Wiltshire Girls) run away, Nell and Renie to go with Nell's sweetheart, Mattie striking out on her own despite being ill. After collapsing in a storm, she is found and cared for by widower Jacob and his children. The couple are persuaded to marry by the ...more
Jayme
Feb 16, 2016 Jayme rated it liked it
I have really mixed feelings about this book - I'm not sorry I read it, but it felt incomplete and I wouldn't read another by this author. The plot wasn't bad and the main characters were so sympathetic that even when I wanted to drop the book, I carried on in order to know what happened to them. But character development was lacking, particularly the villainous characters depicted in the story seemed overdone and contrived - to the point that I wondered if every single person in this part of ...more
E.A. Harwik
Jan 11, 2014 E.A. Harwik rated it it was amazing
Cherry Tree Lane formed part of a Christmas gift I gave myself and what a wonderful thoughtful treat it proved to be. This enchanting historical story is set in England early in the 20th century, a wonderful period to weave a relationship. Women were finding a voice while many men struggled to understand what sharing meant or could mean.

Anna Jacob's novel is book one of the Wiltshire Girls Series, a three-book exposé about the trials of three sisters who find themselves separated and searching.
ShaniceRhynd
Sep 15, 2015 ShaniceRhynd rated it liked it
This was a lovely book and I liked Mattie and Jacob and their story, but this book was like sex without the orgasm...disappointing. I didn't believe Mattie and Jacob were in love, there was nothing that grabbed me and made me excited to read on, I just hope the next book in the series is little bit more attention grabbing and actually builds up to a climax.
Carlie Hamilton
Anna Jacobs always writes a great character driven story, and my go to when I want a good solid romance set in the past, but something different than your usual "ton" and bodice ripping. These are stories about everyday people. Looking forward to reading about Mattie's sisters.
Cass
Mar 14, 2015 Cass rated it liked it
Pretty much the same story as "Heir to Greyladies" but I don't think anyone reads this genre for originality. It was a sweet book, reasonably well-written, and a nice little romance. Non-sexual (a couple of little kisses) which made it nice to read.
Jul 07, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-kobo
Being a resident of Wiltshire myself, this series is fascinating to read as the places mentioned actually exist. It's interesting to get a glimpse of how it might have been back when these books are set. I met Anna Jacobs at a local author event and she is a lovely lady.
Cheryl Kershaw
Dec 29, 2015 Cheryl Kershaw rated it it was amazing
The start of another great series, easy read but a great story. Anna rushes the end to ties up the loose ends which can be frustrating....but i keep reading her books.
Emily
Jul 01, 2013 Emily rated it did not like it
Because of the atrocious writing I could not get past the first 10 pages. Thank goodness I didn't pay for this book.
Grace
Jul 17, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books-read
This was a very easy book to read and a charming story. I read it in less than two days and I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Kim
Feb 05, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2013
The first Anna Jacobs book that I've read and I have already picked up the second book in this series.I love historical stories and the second book apparently follows one of the other sisters.
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2011
Naomi beverstock
Naomi beverstock rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Rosalind Evans
Rosalind Evans rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2012
Mary McGahey
Mary McGahey rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Karen Barker-moore
Karen Barker-moore rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Fiona Clark
Fiona Clark rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Vivien
Vivien rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Michelle Elliott
Michelle Elliott rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Anna Graham
Anna Graham rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Josie
Oct 18, 2015 Josie rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book will be reading the 2 books that follow.
Louise Rice
Louise Rice rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
  • Water Gypsies
  • Home for Christmas (Article Row, #2)
  • Lime Street Blues
  • The Girl From World's End
  • Sight Unseen
  • The Betrayal (At the House of the Magician, #3)
  • The Make
  • Netherwood (Eve Williams, #1)
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • The Feud (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #1)
  • By My Side
  • The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
  • The Doorstep Girls
  • My Animals and Other Family
  • Rose Alley
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
  • The Rules of Gentility
  • The Dollmaker's Daughters
Anna Jacobs has 57 novels published as of April 2012. She writes historical sagas and modern novels alternately, and in the past has written historical romances and fantasy novels (the latter as Shannah Jay).

She's addicted to story-telling and writes three novels a year.
More about Anna Jacobs...

The Wiltshire Girls (3 books)
  • Elm Tree Road (The Wiltshire Girls, #2)
  • Yew Tree Gardens (The Wiltshire Girls, #3)