Start by marking “The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,120 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Published April 1st 1977 by William Morrow & Co

To ask other readers questions about The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists

Manny
Lists. Dontcha love 'em? You've got an item, then another item, and then some more items! All the items are similar, but at the same time, hey, they're different. And they come in an order, which may or may not mean something. Wow.

I'm afraid I'm already running out of ideas for explaining why lists are so damn fascinating. Instead, in the spirit of this book, I thought I'd compile a list myself. So here's

A LIST OF ALL MY DIALOGUE/CONVERSATION REVIEWS

Alice talks to
the Mad Hatter and the March
Melanie
I love this book!
totally pointless, sucks you in compeltly
there were list i didnt even know that i wanted to know about
but I did
awesome book!
Jeff
Feb 20, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
The ultimate bathroom book.
Harris
Jul 02, 2013 Harris rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostalgia, lists
This book has a special place in my heart. If I recall, I discovered it in 5th or 6th grade and quickly acquired all of the series that I could. Even then, in the ‘90s, the book was hopelessly out of date and a few of the lists had to be taken with a grain of salt but, as I did not yet have access to the internet, this was one of the finest sources of random trivia and bizarre facts available to me. I loved every page of it (with the exception, I suppose, of the chapter devoted to sports) and po ...more
Azeem
Feb 15, 2015 Azeem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting read... though I did not have to verify many of the facts at the time I first read it. Now, I realize that many of the facts presented herein are eminently challenge-able. I own Book of Lists 2 and Book of Lists 3 too. Lots of categories, lots of topics, lots of diversion. I will not recommend it as a reference book but it is very readable (that's why it gets four stars). The Wallace family obviously put a lot of effort in compiling this book and many of the lists are actually q ...more
Simon
May 02, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great! Better than I thought it would be. Whoever added this book to Goodreads got the page numbers wrong. There is way more than the posted amount. I was at one point 124% done the book and I still had two chapters left. :P

This book is just plainly, very interesting and it is amazing what you can learn from a book like this.
Entertaining and informative. I just wonder where they get the idea to create a book like this.
Jason Yarborough
Mar 17, 2009 Jason Yarborough rated it liked it
My parents had nearly the whole series. I probably read these books ten times each when I was eight years old. It's the foundation of all my trivia knowledge...
Astraia
Oct 14, 2010 Astraia rated it really liked it
Something for everyone in here. If you like trivia- you will love this. Sex, drugs and more.
Hank Stuever
Mar 15, 2014 Hank Stuever rated it really liked it
I went completely batshit bonkers for this book the summer between 5th and 6th grade. You can keep your Guinness Book of World Records. I would spend hours poring over this.
Lincoln Wert
Sep 21, 2015 Lincoln Wert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Perfect bathroom reads. Quick, short, and fun.
Nandakishore Varma
My first introduction to lists. I thoroughly enjoyed it - been a list fan ever since.
Telans
Mar 22, 2013 Telans rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Забавная книженция, компиляция всевозможных (бесполезных) фактов обо всем на свете (с упором на американскую культуру, разумеется).

Если вам почему-то не хочется читать цельную книгу, можно, в перерывах, окунуться в различные небольшие статейки The Book of Lists (благо, написана она языком легким). Вполне возможно, что 10 мужчин, которые плакали на публике или 21 первоначальное название знаменитых групп не произведут неизгладимого впечатления, да и 17 известных людей, исключенных из школы или 23
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Book of Lists - The Original Compendium of Curious Information by David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace is a clever non-fiction collection of trivia and interesting stories and information broken down into the following chapters:
People
Words
Sports
Death
Miscellaneous

The book gets its title because all information contained within each chapter is presented in list form. For e
Jeff
Jan 16, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
I remember seeing this one around the house in the late '70's and it being one of my earliest intrigues. When I was still a preteen, I had picked it up, certain I'd never read the entire thing, only the sections and lists which interested me. My initial reactions are more than likely ones of being curious and content. This as a result of trying to sound out the: "Thirteen Longest Words In The English Language", or the chapter on "The Sporting Life".
Looking through this book at the present, is
Pvw
Nov 30, 2010 Pvw rated it it was ok
Just some lists in all kinds of categories. "The ten most stupid thieves", "People who died in weird accidents" and stuff like that. I think it is great toilet literature. And by that I don't imply anything negative; it's the kind of book that you can open on a random page, read some amusing facts and then leave the rest for another visit.

But this book is not perfect. First of all, lists are not an exact science but more often personal opinions. Therefore, it is a lot more fun making lists yours
Valerie
As a reference book, this is almost completely useless. Why? Because it's poorly indexed. Thus, for example, if you're trying to find the names of the Seven Dwarves (and that is the correct plural, by the way), you can't find them without just reading or skimming through until you strike it lucky. Or at least, reading the table of contents thoroughly, which isn't a substitute for an index.

If I were trying to use the book as a reference source, I would most likely have to assemble an index. So wh
Rich Meyer
Oct 09, 2011 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
The original paperback version of this book is a fun read, with a lot of strange little tidbits of information.

The updated e-book version is okay, but it seems that a lot of the old information has been edited out for the sake of adding more up-to-date and topical references. The formatting on the e-book version is also quite horrid, as the font size and style changes with annoying randomness as you flip through the book.

Still, it's a good read for any fan of useless trivia and minutia.
David Ward
Feb 05, 2010 David Ward rated it really liked it
The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists  by Amy Wallace (William Morrow and Co. 1977)(031.02). Now THIS is a trivia book! Before every website had scads of "top ten lists" of every subject under the sun, there was The Book of Lists. I read this thing cover to cover. I couldn't get enough! It's amazing what the author assembled here! I highly recommend this for fans of "Jeopardy"! My rating: 8/10, finished 1977.
John
Jan 09, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
I love me some Book of Lists. This is in some ways the ultimate bathroom reader in that you can flip to a random page of the book, read about some esoteric facts in list form, and be finished with it at about the time that you finish, um, your particular business. It's a great book for any 3 to 5 minute period of off-time that you might have in the middle of the day, really. You should buy several of them, one for each place you stay at for any extended period of time.
Joe  Noir
Jan 13, 2013 Joe Noir rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Come with us back to those thrilling days of yesteryear before there was an internet. This book collected lists compiled by all kinds of people on all kinds of subjects. The project led by David Wallechinsky, his father author Irving Wallace, and sister Amy Wallace. Very entertaining, very funny, and fascinating. This book sent me looking for other books, on many subjects, because my curiosity had been piqued.
Elyssa
Oct 04, 2007 Elyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
If you grew up in the 1970s, your parents probably had this book on the coffee table and if you were like me, you read it many, many times. Back then, the lists were an innovative writing format and the subject matter the authors chose was quite fascinating. I hope to recover this entertaining gem somewhere--maybe it's still on my father's bookshelf.
Melissa
Dec 29, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I'm a certifiable geek. I love reading this junk, though, and it's part of the reason why I rock at trivia. I also gleaned some great ideas for some writing projects...just have to do some more research and develop some characters around random historical events. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction!
Rowan MacBean
Jun 18, 2010 Rowan MacBean rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Exactly what it says on the tin. I'm an absolute list hound, so I rather enjoyed this book. Sure, there were some lists that I didn't care about and wound up skipping over, and a few that started out good but started to bore me with too many similar stories. But overall I liked it, and I learned a few fun things along the way, too. That's always a plus.
Noora
Jul 28, 2012 Noora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tietokirjat
Hauska lueskelukirja, jossa tosin on hieman epätarkkuuksia varsinkin vuosilukujen osalta, mutta muuten ok. Kirjasta oppi paljon uutta "hyödyllistä" tietoa ja paljon epäolennaisiakin asioita. Ihan hauska kirja.
Xanthi
Mar 07, 2013 Xanthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one during my breaks at work. Jam packed full of stuff, with some pretty quirky lists and topics. Some of it was a little dull, but I would say that the majority of this book was interesting and often amusing.
Sara
Jul 20, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book SO MUCH as a teenager! I can't remember a single fact in it (although that may not be entirely true - perhaps a lot of the useless trivia knowledge I now have may be the result of reading this book!) but I know I loved it and would have given it 5 stars back in the day.
Amy
Jan 18, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite reference books! I own all the subsequent list books as well. I have found out years later that some of the information was not exactly based on facts, but still a lot of fun to read anyway.
Ed
Jun 25, 2008 Ed rated it really liked it
My four-star review dates back to when I first read this book as a 'tween (although that word didn't exist then). I was fascinated by these lists, although I didn't have much cultural context into which to place most of the information.
Stephen
Dec 16, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it
Needs an updated version- but hugely informational and fun read.
Jazzhunt
Mar 24, 2010 Jazzhunt rated it it was amazing
My favourite. I have bought six copies (2 hardcover and four paperback) of this over the years - they all fall apart due to overuse :-)
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists #3
  • The Straight Dope
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things
  • The World's Greatest Book of Useless Information: If You Thought You Knew All the Things You Didn't Need to Know - Think Again
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • The Utterly, Completely, And Totally Useless Fact-o-pedia
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots-Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History, and Beyond!
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
David Wallechinsky is an American populist historian and television commentator, the president of the International Society of Olympic Historians (ISOH) and the founder and editor-in-chief of AllGov.com.
More about David Wallechinsky...