3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  734 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
Published April 1st 1977 by William Morrow & Co (first published 1977)

The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists by David WallechinskyThe African-American Book of Lists by Michael E. LivingstonNutrition for Children by Matt PrazakThe Literature Lover's Book of Lists by StroufEducator's Sourcebook of African American Heritage by Johnnie H. Miles
The "Book of Lists" List
1st out of 35 books — 10 voters
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die by Robert Dimery
A List of Lists
16th out of 216 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Lists. Dontcha love 'em? You've got an item, then another item, and then some more items! All the items are similar, but at the same time, hey, they're different. And they come in an order, which may or may not mean something. Wow.

I'm afraid I'm already running out of ideas for explaining why lists are so damn fascinating. Instead, in the spirit of this book, I thought I'd compile a list myself. So here's

A LIST OF ALL MY DIALOGUE/CONVERSATION REVIEWS

Alice talks to
the Mad Hatter and the March H...more
Melanie
I love this book!
totally pointless, sucks you in compeltly
there were list i didnt even know that i wanted to know about
but I did
awesome book!
Spoonbridge
This book has a special place in my heart. If I recall, I discovered it in 5th or 6th grade and quickly acquired all of the series that I could. Even then, in the ‘90s, the book was hopelessly out of date and a few of the lists had to be taken with a grain of salt but, as I did not yet have access to the internet, this was one of the finest sources of random trivia and bizarre facts available to me. I loved every page of it (with the exception, I suppose, of the chapter devoted to sports) and po...more
Simon
This was great! Better than I thought it would be. Whoever added this book to Goodreads got the page numbers wrong. There is way more than the posted amount. I was at one point 124% done the book and I still had two chapters left. :P

This book is just plainly, very interesting and it is amazing what you can learn from a book like this.
Entertaining and informative. I just wonder where they get the idea to create a book like this.
Jason Yarborough
My parents had nearly the whole series. I probably read these books ten times each when I was eight years old. It's the foundation of all my trivia knowledge...
Astraia
Something for everyone in here. If you like trivia- you will love this. Sex, drugs and more.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Book of Lists - The Original Compendium of Curious Information by David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace is a clever non-fiction collection of trivia and interesting stories and information broken down into the following chapters:
People
Words
Sports
Death
Miscellaneous

The book gets its title because all information contained within each chapter is presented in list form. For e...more
Telans
Забавная книженция, компиляция всевозможных (бесполезных) фактов обо всем на свете (с упором на американскую культуру, разумеется).

Если вам почему-то не хочется читать цельную книгу, можно, в перерывах, окунуться в различные небольшие статейки The Book of Lists (благо, написана она языком легким). Вполне возможно, что 10 мужчин, которые плакали на публике или 21 первоначальное название знаменитых групп не произведут неизгладимого впечатления, да и 17 известных людей, исключенных из школы или 23...more
Pvw
Just some lists in all kinds of categories. "The ten most stupid thieves", "People who died in weird accidents" and stuff like that. I think it is great toilet literature. And by that I don't imply anything negative; it's the kind of book that you can open on a random page, read some amusing facts and then leave the rest for another visit.

But this book is not perfect. First of all, lists are not an exact science but more often personal opinions. Therefore, it is a lot more fun making lists yours...more
Hank Stuever
I went completely batshit bonkers for this book the summer between 5th and 6th grade. You can keep your Guinness Book of World Records. I would spend hours poring over this.
Valerie
As a reference book, this is almost completely useless. Why? Because it's poorly indexed. Thus, for example, if you're trying to find the names of the Seven Dwarves (and that is the correct plural, by the way), you can't find them without just reading or skimming through until you strike it lucky. Or at least, reading the table of contents thoroughly, which isn't a substitute for an index.

If I were trying to use the book as a reference source, I would most likely have to assemble an index. So wh...more
Abraham Ray
nice book of lists for lover's of trivia & fun facts!
Rich Meyer
The original paperback version of this book is a fun read, with a lot of strange little tidbits of information.

The updated e-book version is okay, but it seems that a lot of the old information has been edited out for the sake of adding more up-to-date and topical references. The formatting on the e-book version is also quite horrid, as the font size and style changes with annoying randomness as you flip through the book.

Still, it's a good read for any fan of useless trivia and minutia.
John
I love me some Book of Lists. This is in some ways the ultimate bathroom reader in that you can flip to a random page of the book, read about some esoteric facts in list form, and be finished with it at about the time that you finish, um, your particular business. It's a great book for any 3 to 5 minute period of off-time that you might have in the middle of the day, really. You should buy several of them, one for each place you stay at for any extended period of time.
Joe  Noir
I love this book. Come with us back to those thrilling days of yesteryear before there was an internet. This book collected lists compiled by all kinds of people on all kinds of subjects. The project led by David Wallechinsky, his father author Irving Wallace, and sister Amy Wallace. Very entertaining, very funny, and fascinating. This book sent me looking for other books, on many subjects, because my curiosity had been piqued.
Rowan MacBean
Exactly what it says on the tin. I'm an absolute list hound, so I rather enjoyed this book. Sure, there were some lists that I didn't care about and wound up skipping over, and a few that started out good but started to bore me with too many similar stories. But overall I liked it, and I learned a few fun things along the way, too. That's always a plus.
Elyssa
If you grew up in the 1970s, your parents probably had this book on the coffee table and if you were like me, you read it many, many times. Back then, the lists were an innovative writing format and the subject matter the authors chose was quite fascinating. I hope to recover this entertaining gem somewhere--maybe it's still on my father's bookshelf.
Melissa
Yes, I'm a certifiable geek. I love reading this junk, though, and it's part of the reason why I rock at trivia. I also gleaned some great ideas for some writing projects...just have to do some more research and develop some characters around random historical events. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction!
Sara
I loved this book SO MUCH as a teenager! I can't remember a single fact in it (although that may not be entirely true - perhaps a lot of the useless trivia knowledge I now have may be the result of reading this book!) but I know I loved it and would have given it 5 stars back in the day.
Ed
My four-star review dates back to when I first read this book as a 'tween (although that word didn't exist then). I was fascinated by these lists, although I didn't have much cultural context into which to place most of the information.
Xanthi
Read this one during my breaks at work. Jam packed full of stuff, with some pretty quirky lists and topics. Some of it was a little dull, but I would say that the majority of this book was interesting and often amusing.
Amy
One of my favorite reference books! I own all the subsequent list books as well. I have found out years later that some of the information was not exactly based on facts, but still a lot of fun to read anyway.
Noora
Hauska lueskelukirja, jossa tosin on hieman epätarkkuuksia varsinkin vuosilukujen osalta, mutta muuten ok. Kirjasta oppi paljon uutta "hyödyllistä" tietoa ja paljon epäolennaisiakin asioita. Ihan hauska kirja.
Peter
The original Book of Lists updated with a Canadian Perspective. Not bad, some minor errors but worth a read and filing away on the reference shelf of your personal library.
Salman
Great book. True blue page turner. Hilarious. I have read this over and over again. I think I still have the '77 first edition copy with me - but need to check again.
Dutch
Such a fun book! Before there were real "bathroom books", this was ideal. Not only fun to read once, but then it almost became a bit of reference material later on.
Peter
I got all three of these from a library sale for two dollars a bag. They're great for trivia, but bad for the bathroom b/c you end up in there long after you're done
Ruth
Published in 1977. One of a series of books compiled by David Wallechinsky, his father best selling author Irving Wallace and sister Amy Wallace
Heather Moss
I used to love these books when I was a kid -- I checked them out from the library constantly. No wonder I'm unbeatable at Trivial Pursuit. ;-)
Jazzhunt
My favourite. I have bought six copies (2 hardcover and four paperback) of this over the years - they all fall apart due to overuse :-)
  • The Straight Dope
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Superior Person's Book of Words
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents)
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
The People's Almanac The People's Almanac #3 The People's Almanac #2 The New Book of Lists: The Original Compendium of Curious Information Tyrants: The World's 20 Worst Living Dictators