Start by marking “The Will of God as a Way of Life” as Want to Read:
The Will of God as a Way of Life

The Will of God as a Way of Life

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"God has a plan for our lives," but what does that mean in practical terms? How do we know God's will for important life decisions, like who to marry, what job to take, what church to join? How can we be free if God has a perfect plan for us? Sittser explores these questions and offers a biblically based approach that is truly liberating.
Published December 15th 2009 by Zondervan (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Will of God as a Way of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Will of God as a Way of Life

Elise
The main point of this book was a solid reminder:

"The will of God, then, consists of one clear mandate- that we make God the absolutely center of our lives." "If we seek first his kingdom, which is his revealed will for our lives, then whatever choices we make concerning the future become God's will for us."

Keeping that in mind WILL lead to more peaceful decision making I think. I was also challenged by his thought that the freedom to choose can actually become a burden, and that having too ma
Brook M.
This was required reading for my cousin Katie's senior seminar class this year at Hope College. She enjoyed it, thought I would do the same (I have!), and gave me this copy. It’s yet another book I wish I would have read this while in college or soon thereafter.

The book is quite upfront with it’s central idea:“...the Bible says very little about the will of God as a future pathway. Instead the Bible warns us about anxiety and presumption concerning the future, assures us that God is in control,
Ashley Lamb
Superb. Outstanding. I would recommend this book in a heartbeat, even if you think you've got your life all figured out. Almost every page had something that I wanted to highlight so that I could refer back to it later. In some areas, I just wanted to highlight the whole chapter. There will always be room on my shelf for this book.
Stephanie
This was a very good read and thought-provoking. It totally changed my viewpoint on discerning God's will and although the title is somewhat cheesy, it's true: I do have more peace about making decisions. Bottom line: if you are seeking God earnestly, you can't go wrong. There is no one right way to do God's will.
Katie Castor
It changed my life! It should be a must-read for every Christian!
Mikey
Sep 04, 2014 Mikey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Mikey by: Jerry Sittser
I went to a men's breakfast a few months ago and Jerry Sittser was the speaker and the message was basically the message of this book. I was intrigued and came home and bought the book. Overall The Will of God as a Way of Life contains practical ideas about what it means to follow the Will of God. Jerry Sittser has given a good overview of the way in which we *(Christians) often miss the Will of God because of a faulty notion of what the will of God is.(view spoiler) ...more
Derek Emerson
Jerry Sittser has a remarkable gift for taking complex theology and applying it to everyday life. Many people are good at telling you how to live a Christian life, but their theology may be weak. Sittser is a theologian, and he supports his points with numerous scripture references. In his book, The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence, the only thing not to like is the title. The subtitle makes it sound like a self-help book. While you will walk awa ...more
Jim
Nov 13, 2007 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a deeper life
Gerry Sittser, one of my kids teachers at Whitworth, has given us a great gift in this book. He avoids the stereotypical idea of trying to unravel the will of God like a puzzle and challenges us to chose wisely while doing what God has for us to do. He deals with the tension between the sovereignty of God and human responsibility masterfully. He speaks from the pain of his own life in the death of his mother, wife and daughter in a single accident. In the decisions I make and the dreams and fear ...more
Jonathan Markham
As one can expect from Sittser's writing it is clear, direct and thoroughly practical. His writing is born out of rich and painful experience and it shows on almost every page. In addition his approach is rooted in scripture rather than simply sage advice with a few verses thrown in to make it "Christian"
Ron Willoughby
Excellent, challenging, though-provoking read. So much of what Sittser writes challenges my preconceptions and convictions with regard to being in the Will of God, discovering the Will of God, doing the Will of God, etc. Think the great value of the book comes in challenging me to live in the present moment and not miss it by thinking too much about the next thing God wants of me.

Definitely worth a read in my opinion.
Judithbledsoe
While this book is squarely in the Christian tradition, it's message can appeal to all. The basic is premise is that the ultimate trajectory of our lives is influenced much more by the daily decisions we make in the present moment than on the BIG decisions we agonize over and second-guess. Instead of trying to guess what an inscrutable God might want us to choose, we should focus on how we act right now.
Krista
I really liked this book. Though I read it a few years ago, there are a few things in it that have stuck with me. It was good for me to read about the decisions we make and how God blesses them. If you are struggling with a decision and trying to pick one life choice over another, I highly recommend this book.
Ruth
Sittser provides basic starting point for Christians who wish to begin examining what is really meant by the phrase "the will of God." Although he breaks no new ground here, he does emphasize important truths concerning not necessarily what Christians do, but how and why they do what they do.
Ryan
It wasn't as fantastic as I had hoped. Sittser relied on many "Mystics" both modern and ancient for quotes. Overall though the theology was accurate. I'd recommend reading Just do Something by Kevin DeYoung. It's a much better book on God's will.
Jonathan B
I strongly disagree with some of Sittser's basic position (God doesn't have a will or doesn't care what you do in certain instances (most?)), but his focus on seeing God's will as revealed in Scripture and doing *that* is spot on.
Rachel
While I don't agree with everything Sittser writes, or at least the way he writes it, I think this book is an excellent source for those struggling with discerning the will of God.
Jo Ann
A great read with many great references and holistic approach to what the will of God means. Felt a little long and repetitive by the end.
Emily
This was very helpful in helping me gain some clarity on what it means to follow God's will. Very readable, personable and reasonable.
Simona
revealing, thoughtful, deep, a journey to discover yourself
Amy
this was formally known as "discovering God's will"
Maxwell Anderson
Maxwell Anderson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
 albiaa
albiaa is currently reading it
May 11, 2015
Huiqi Ho
Huiqi Ho is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
Esther Kim
Esther Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jack
Jack added it
Apr 15, 2015
  • What Is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know About Dating, Love, and Marriage
  • Then Sings My Soul
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • Water from a Deep Well: Christian Spirituality from Early Martyrs to Modern Missionaries
  • The One Year Bible
  • Night of the Living Dead Christian: One Man's Ferociously Funny Quest to Discover What It Means to Be Truly Transformed
  • Alive: A Cold-Case Approach To The Resurrection
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven about the Death of a Child
  • Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way Out of the Mormon Church
  • Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?
  • A Beautiful Offering: Returning God's Love with Your Life
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God with a Hope Deferred
  • Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On
A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows Through Loss A Grace Revealed: How God Redeems the Story of Your Life When God Doesn't Answer Your Prayer The Adventure When God Doesn't Answer Your Prayer