Stieg Larsson: Our Days in Stockholm

Stieg Larsson: Our Days in Stockholm

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  56 reviews
“He was both a dream and a nightmare to work with.
He was not only involved in the struggle against intolerance,
he was obsessed with it” are the words used to
describe the now world-famous author Stieg Larsson
by his friend and close colleague, Kurdo Baksi, who
himself was a prominent character in The Millennium
Trilogy
. During Larsson’s career as a journalist he was
a crucial f...more
Published December 6th 2010 by Pegasus (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stieg Larsson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stieg Larsson

Bucletina
A ver, lo primero que cabe decir respecto de este libro, o de cualquiera que hable sobre un autor exitoso que ya no está con vida, es la sensación de que seguro está sacando provecho. Pero eso vale tanto para “el mejor amigo de Larsson”, como para “el querido padre de Larsson", o “la querida novia de Larsson". Su autor compartió momentos con uno de los escritores más exitosos de los últimos tiempos...qué mejor de contárselo al mundo, con algún que otro agregado como para volver más bella la nove...more
Aad
Hari Jumat yang dingin di bulan Desember, tepatnya 10 Desember 2004. Beberapa orang menghadiri sebuah pemakaman di sebuh Kapel Salib Suci di Forest Cementery di sebelah selatan Stockholm. Di antara yang hadir di acara itu adalah Kurdo Baksi. Sedangkan yang dimakamkan pada hari itu adalah Karl Stig-Erland Larsson atau lebih di kenal dengan nama Stieg Larsson.

Ini adalah buku yang di tulis oleh Kurdo mengenai Stieg dan tentang persahabatan mereka selama kurang lebih 10 tahun. Tidak banyak yang bisa...more
Kyle
Absolutely fascinating regardless of Larsson's attachment to the Millenium Trilogy. This is a man worth looking up to, an entirely human, with flaws and all, role model. What causes this memoir to stand out from others is the surprising poetic flair of Baksi in remembering his friend. While avoiding death cliche's, Baksi grabs your heart and wrings it out when least expectant. Fortunately, in my life, I've had to deal with very little close, personal death so far. Baksi's writing and my passion...more
Mag
It's an interesting small book. Memories of a friend. The author of this book appears in the third part of the Millenium Trilogy as a fictional owner and publisher of Millennium friendly magazine on immigrant and racist issues. Which he turns out to be in reality as well, and a long term Larsson's friend. The book is not really a biography, it's an expanded (into 140 pages) eulogy. It shows Larsson as a tireless champion for the disadvantaged- immigrants, women, and an anti-racist activist; neve...more
Kate Woods Walker
A brief and competent look at the professional life of Stieg Larsson, author of The Millenium Trilogy, this memoir by Kurdo Baksi sheds just enough light on the late Swedish journalist and author's character to explain his motivations, and leaves just enough mystery to whet the appetites of fans and true believers.

A story about an incident from Larsson's teenage years does much to explain the crusading journalist's motivations, but there is not much else to inform the reader of why the author (s...more
Scotchneat
I knew that Larsson was a human rights activist and political journalist, but this book really gives you an idea of how different he must be viewed in his home country from the rest of the world, and also shows how closely tied his life was to that of Mikael Blomkvist and his Millennium magazine.

Baksi doesn't take on anything that's happened since Larsson's death, like the controversy over the proceeds of the novels.

It's very clear that Baksi knew and loved Larsson, and I did come away with a b...more
Andrea
I liked this book because I appreciated what seemed as an honest reflection of Steig's life from someone who presented themselves as a close friend. I also really liked learning how Steig's personal life was threaded all though the Millennium series and injected into the actions and personalities of the characters.

I was slightly disappointed in the book because I was hoping to learn more about the rumors surrounding his estate after death.
Steven Peterson
A very personal reflection on the life of Stieg Larsson, Swedish journalist and author of the acclaimed Millennium trilogy. Kurdo Baksi became Larsson's friend and collaborator in publishing. This is a personal examination of their relationship and of Larsson as a person.

We get a nice portrayal of how driven (and sometimes dysfunctional) Larsson was. He was hard to work for, demanding a great deal of others (this helped lead to the desperate situation of his publication, Expo, perhaps the protot...more
David Fuller
Prior to the posthumous success of his bestselling Millennium trilogy, Stieg Larsson was primarily known in his native Sweden as a journalist on a crusade against far-right and neo-Nazi groups.

He tried to keep his personal and professional lives separate, including not marrying his longtime partner Eva Gabrielsson. After his death, the question of who is entitled to his royalties -- Gabrielsson or Larsson's father and brother -- has turned into a prolonged legal battle.

Adding to the picture of L...more
Connie
A very touching,personal look at Stieg Larsson as he was known by his colleague and dear friend, Kurdo Baksi.

I have not read the Millenium Triolgy and have no intention of doing so. I want to remember Stieg Larsson as the brave man who spent his entire adult life fighting against racism at great risk to his own personal safety. Kurdo Baksi says that Stieg Larsson was very proud of the Millenium Trilogy, but the decades of work against racism and social injustice are much more significant to me.

I...more
BoekenTrol
Usually I'm do not read books about authors that I like. For this one I made an exception, I'm not quite sure why exactly, but I'm glad I did, even though the book has found a hiding place on my books shelf for some time.

Okay, to the book then.
I liked it a lot. Especially because it is a friend's recollection of Larsson, without pretending to be exhaustive or unprejudiced. Just a recollection of their times together, how they worked, what made them friends and how their work for anti-racist, ant...more
Louise
This is a short book/long essay describing the friendship, collaboration and shared experience of being a target of right wing/racist anger of the author and Stieg Larsson, who achieved post-humous fame for the Millennium novels.

In 1998, Baski and Larsson joined their independent publications "Expo" (Larsson) and "Svartvit" (Baski) into one. These journals covered the racism of Sweden's right wing, exposing its violence and its members. In this period Larsson worked full time, mostly at T.T., a...more
Lynn
I always suspected that the male protagonist in the Millenium trilogy was modeled after Larsson himself, and it would seem in large part that is true, given this candid description of Larsson. How very sad that a talent such as his was cut short, particularly just as his novels were beginning to achieve such success that it was truly changing his life and he was finally beginning to relax and seemingly enjoying life a bit more. I admire his extreme work ethic and while we might consider that to...more
Elizabeth
Thanks, Holly C, for the recommendation. After reading the Millenium Trilogy I was anxious to know about the author. This is a slim book but very interesting. The book is a soul searching on the part of the author who was a good friend of Larsson's. I was intrigued with the fact that when Larsson was writing non-fiction about such difficult subjects as racism and Neo-Nazism, he acted as an introvert. But when he began writing fiction, his personality became extroverted. Also, I loved learning th...more
Austin Wright
Kurdo was Stieg Larsson's closest friend. I'd actually recommend people read this memoir *before* starting the Trilogy in order to appreciate just how much was based off of real life.

Would have been cool if Kurdo expanded on Larsson's Trotskyist beliefs, rather than mentioning it in a single sentence.
Kenechi Udogu
I'm not a fan of non-fiction/memoirs/biographies but I was given this book by my boss after he found out I'd read the Millenium Trilogy. I'm glad he shared it with me. Short and touching, it's made me view Larsson and his trilogy in a new light. I had no idea he was such a passioante activist or that his life was endangered by his work. Truly inspiring stuff...except for the fact that it sounds like he worked himself to death. Recommended to fans of Larsson, if you're looking for a brief insight...more
Darcy
This is NOT the kind of book written to take advantage of the author's friendship to another, much more famous author. This is, rather, an homage to a very close friend.
I appreciated Kurdo Baksi's insight into Stieg Larsson's drive, passion, and self-sacrifice into being the kind of journalist that truly cared to inform and expose the injustices some humans inflict upon one another.
If you have read the Millennium Trilogy, you will see that the themes conveyed in the books were subjects that Mr...more
Huey
Dear Mr Baksi,
I have read Mr Larsson's millenium trilogy and absolutely loved it to bits and I would like to tell you that I have become happier after reading all of his novels because i had understood what he stood for was very clear in all his books.

The thin personal account of Stieg Larsson is a touching and fulfilling read to those who want to understand him more. From what is told of Larsson in this book, I could better understood why the millennium trilogy was written the way it was.

Its h...more
Myrna
Rather political...a good insight as to who Larsson was tho. With that info it was notable that his "Millennium" trilogy plots followed his journalistic
life in many ways. It was brought out that Lisbeth, and her ability to research actually was someone that he knew, altho a man. The author comments
that is also portrayed in the final book. Larsson's writing technique was rather interesting, apparently he literally wrote all three at the same time.

I found the info about his writing to be the most...more
Alex
I haven't read any of Larsson's books, or seen the movies, but I heard Baksi interviewed on the radio about his friendship with Larsson, and this book, and I was intrigued. It is a portrait of Larsson as social justice crusader. My recollection is that in the interview, Baksi really stayed away from the issue of the battle over Larsson's estate. The book never even touches the topic of the estate, but I think it would be difficult to read it and not wonder whether Larsson would have intended tha...more
Dina
I enjoyed reading this in fact It made me tear up in the end. And even after all these years I do wish Stieg would have been able to see the success of his Millennium trilogy for himself.
Rdonn
I was interested to read this book by a close friend and colleague the Kurd, Kurdo Baksi. I think what I learned more than anything about Larsson himself, was the extreme Neo Nazi movement in Sweden. The racism there shocked me, you simply don't hear that much about Sweden and this problem. Of course it plays a very important part in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". In fact much of Larsson's causes permeate his books, and you get some insight into him. But not a lot, a very secretive man about...more
Muriel
Een wat licht uitgevallen memoire van één van Larssons zgn weinige 'echte' vrienden. Wel interessant omdat het vooral gaat over Larsson als mensenrechtenjournalist, en niet zozeer als schrijver van thrillers (die schreef hij blijkbaar trouwens 's nachts). Wie er 's mans leefgewoonten op naleest, is niet verwonderd dat hij op 50 jarige leeftijd is gestorven aan een hartinfarct (sliep 3 à 4 uur per nacht, en leefde op koffie, sigaretten en junkfood). PS: heb nog steeds de millennium trilogie niet...more
Joseph Muniz
Despues de leer latrilogía de Larsson, es un refrescante. episodio leer de parte de un amigo y colaborador, cual fue mas o menos su desarrollo profesional.

un fuerte equilibrio entre laexperiencia y la perseverancia para desarrollar sus proyectos de novela negra, nada de suerte o casualidad, existe mucho el sentimiento de compromiso por ayudar a construir una mejor sociedad , la sueca y reconociendo cuanto trecho falta por recorrer en nuestra sociedad mexicana, donde nadie se reponsabiliza de nad...more
Peter
This is a strange, very strange memoir of Stieg Larsson by a colleague/friend of over a decade. It's a portrait and an impression more than a telling of Stieg's life. It's filled with polemic and politics as opposed to personal detail. Baski is a Kurdish immigrant to Sweden and Larsson was a great campaigner on anti-racism issues so in some ways it was an inevitable friendship. The book is a trifle linked to and profitting from the larsson phenomenon.
Gwen
As I read this I kept questioning whether or not Kurdo Baksi was writing to exploit his relationship/friendship with Stieg Larsson. I don't think this was the case. I've read The Girl... trilogy and think this book would be a great pairing for an intellectual book club regarding these books. With the information from this book and background of Larsson, I would love to reread the series.
Baksi says he was a close friend and associate of deceased "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" author Larsson. He claims, among other things, that Larsson witnessed the brutal rape of a 15-year-old girl named Lisbeth (like the heroine of his novels) who never forgave him for not rescuing her. Unfortunately, most of it is impossible to verify. Fortunately, it's an extremely short book.
Darcyo
Like this the best of the three. Lots of characters to keep track of and sometimes has to go back to remember who they were, but generally the author reminded the reader often of what had previously taken place. Wrapped up the story nicely. A lot of the subjects written about in these three books are definitely not for the faint of heart.
cat
2011 Book 25/100

Whoa, I am a quarter of the way to my 100 book goal. And may none of the rest of them suck as much as this one. A superficial look at (primarily) the professional life of Stieg Larsson, by a friend and former colleague. I was definitely looking for something very different and was disapointed heartily by this rememberance.
Mie
This book gave me a better picture of who Stieg Larsson really was. His fight against racism, Nazism and violence against women. All the research behind his 3 successful books, how he managed all his assignments and writing at the same time. I wish this book will be translated into English so many more will get this knowledge.
  • "There Are Things I Want You to Know" about Stieg Larsson and Me
  • Cheever
  • Klee Wyck
  • The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan
  • Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • Letters
  • My Word is My Bond
  • J.D. Salinger: A Life
  • Welcome to My World
  • Foreign Correspondence: A Pen Pal's Journey from Down Under to All Over
Stieg Larsson: The Man Behind The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Stieg Larsson: The Man Behind The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Hakkors och Skinnskallar - Rasism från Auschwitz till Vålberg