Start by marking “The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)

The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  3,918 ratings  ·  138 reviews
Kate Constable's magnificent musical trilogy reaches its high note as Calwyn returns to Antaris and discovers the true Singer of All Songs.
At the beginning of THE SINGER OF ALL SONGS, Calwyn fled Antaris with Darrow to defeat the ambitious chanter Samis. In THE TENTH POWER, she comes back to the mountains in hopes of rejuvenating her lost powers of chantment. But Samis's m
Published March 1st 2006 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Tenth Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tenth Power

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine LeavittThe Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne JonesSummers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria HanleyFire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
204th out of 1,356 books — 3,194 voters
Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. WilsonWarprize by Elizabeth VaughanPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderLady of Light and Shadows by C.L. WilsonKing of Sword and Sky by C.L. Wilson
Fantasy Romance
91st out of 339 books — 495 voters

More lists with this book...

Amielle
Jun 25, 2007 Amielle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone from about ten to fifteen
This is definately the best book of the trilogy. Constable has gotten to know her characters since the last book, and knows what's going on.
Calwyn has to save Tremaris, she's known this since the first book, but now it's time to do it. Though, she has a problem: no powers.
The book goes on to show that even though Calwyn has lost her powers, she can still help, she's still going to be strong, and she's not going to let it get in the way of her stopping the loss of everyone's powers.
Tammie
katie
The absolutely PERFECT ending!
Sheri
Magali
I really don't know how to write this review. I was ready for this book, in some ways; I anticipated much of the ending and saw the logical end (or beginning!) of each character's arc and how it "should" go. On paper, this book was nothing truly special... yet somehow I was blown away.

The best metaphor I can think of is that it comes close to the Platonic form of "young adult coming of age fantasy story." There's nothing new here, it's all been done before, and yet Kate Constable makes the fami
Ally
Yes. This is another book from my to-reads list. Another book off. After this review of The Tenth Power, I'm going to go back to reviewing some of NetGalley books (because I have some books on to-read). Fun stuff.

Let's dig in!

The Tenth Power is the third and final book of The Singer of All Songs. I have to say that cover is mesmerizing. There is something about the woman, the man, and the moon. Something mystical... Hmm... Okay! I'll stop musing over that book cover. I just want to say that it l
Amy
Setting/World Building: 5/5
Main Character: 4/5
Other Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Triggering/Issues: 4/5 (Random adultery-esque love triangle out of nowhere)

AVERAGED TOTAL: 4.3 out of 5, rounded to 4.

There's something about either these books, or the author, that manages to somehow wrap me up in the awesome plot, but also interject random things that just irritate the heck out of me and have no reason for being there. This book definitely did that. A good 85% of it or so was just a grea
Clairez
I love, love, LOVE this series, and I don't even know why, because it isn't exactly my type of reading. I found the first of The Chanters of Tremaris books when browsing my school library one day, and was hooked. I couldn't get to the next ones fast enough. Then I couldn't order my own copies fast enough. Anyway, this was probably my favorite book of the series. They are all pretty well written. They have an interesting setting, a believable world created by the author that you want to go live i ...more
Shay Hardman
The Tenth Power.... The last book to the Chanters of Tremaris Trilogy. This novel is just as wonderful and magical as the previous two, but with a few twists and turns to add a little spice to the story. In the final installment of this trilogy, there is sacrifice, love, sorrow, anger, and so much more. What else could you expect from a story where the magic of the land is dying, along with those who possess the power of song.

The characters have all grown so much in this book, their personaliti
Lauren

I was fascinated by this world, especially the characters. NEVER had I been so caught up in a book because of how the characters appealed to me. My favorite thing most of all was definitely Calwyn and Darrow, because I'm a sucker for romance...

When I got the ending to the book, the beginning caught and held me until the very last page. I think I read it in exactly one day. Nonetheless, I loved the ending - it was a tad cliche, I will say that, and there was one bit to it I didn't really understa
Audrey
I liked loved this book.
Seriously.
(view spoiler)
Debbie
Overall a WONDERFUL series. If I could give a rating to the series as a whole it would be a 5. I loved that this series was able to bring in a cute little romance but not make it the main plot of the book. The story was exciting and enthralling...I think I finished the whole series in four days. :) I also loved the way this author used singing and dancing as the way to do magic. The ending was just beautiful and was very touching to me.

I highly recommend this book to those who would like to vis
Anna
Warning 1: spoilers to follow.

Warning 2: I can hardly refrain from !@#$%^ language.

The first two books were really nice. The world-building, the atmosphere, the magic... So why, WHY did the author had to go and spoil it all?

Reading the last installment in the series left me disappointed and disgusted. And made me promise to myself I'm not starting another book by Kate Constable ever again.

Now, already after the first two I was getting quite tired of Calwyn and Darrow's manner of communication wi
Aelvana
I didn't think it was that bad, but it had several huge problems. First, it felt like the author was focusing on emotion to the exclusion of thought. Emotions were presented the entire book, but very little of the rationale behind them, making it feel like the characters were swinging from one feeling to another for little to no reason. Second, some bits that really, really needed a longer explanation were chopped down to mere paragraphs or sentences. Third, and worst, in my opinion, the main ch ...more
Becky
Jun 30, 2008 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Naomi
This was a fabulous end to this wonderfully written and exciting trilogy. I'm glad I ran across this book while perusing Lansing's library shelves. Kate Constable has created some very wonderful and lovable characters. As you read you really feel like you know the characters and can feel their joy and their pain. By the way, I loved Halasaa! Oh, and Scout, and everyone else. See, I loved the characters.
Katherine Wade
At last everything comes together; and we finally begin to understand...
I enjoyed every moment of reading this book. It was truly beautiful and it helped me to have a new understanding of the power of a singing voice.
The ending of this book was epic - and when I finally closed it... I felt refreshed and satisfied!!
Thank you Kate Constable for such an amazing series!!
Jill
What a finish! I was purely enteratained throught this entire sereis. There are a few more kisses in this book. I never did understand the Samis thing at the end. In the beginning I might have let a younger audience read his book, but by the end I would raise it up to more a teenager book mosty due to the relationship that develops (it's clean) and the age of the characters.
Shilo
A fabulously heart-wrenching and powerful conclusion to the trilogy chronicling the land of Tremaris. This entire book is so chock-full of emotion and action that reading it is like being tossed about on storm-swept waters, hurtling forward towards a conclusion that you cannot see, and that takes your breath away. I will admit that I cried. a lot. for the last few chapters.
J.Elle
This was the third of a trilogy and my least favorite of the three. By the end of the quest and the novel, I realized I'd been duped into reading an impassioned trilogy in support of a mother earth run by a female god. I was not amused. I don't plan to read anything else by this author as she has shown herself to be so unscrupulous in her opinion promotions.
Neill Smith
When Calwyn returns to Antaris she finds it changed drastically and she is at a loss to explain this to her traveling companions, Trout and Mica. Her path leads to her betrayal into the hands of Samis, redemption from the Tree People, and the struggle to find and develop her own powers. This is an amazing conclusion to the Chanters of Tremaris trilogy.
Naomi Scarlett
One of the best series I've read. I'm going to have to read it again (despite the fact that I've already read it three times) that's just how much I enjoyed it. You would think that having read the series three times I wouldn't be able to enjoy reading it anymore, but I find myself enjoying the series even more every time i read it.
Meredith Paloma
I finished the entire trilogy in about two and a half hours... quick, exciting read -- amazing characters, an amazing story, and beautiful language. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, poetry, or adventure. I was disappointed when the story ended, but it was well-crafted as an end to the trilogy.
Jillian
I LOVED this book! So many things happen that you think will work out and then it all goes to pot... but it all works out in the end.

I loved the growth from the main characters and that I finally get some of that romance, but it's still really clean.

A perfect ending to a great trilogy. Thank you Constable!
Mona
Love this triology!! I actually skipped school when this book came out so I could buy it from the bookstore and spend all day reading it. Interesting plot and loveable characters. This book will take you on an amazing adventure in a world that is magically and beautiful.
Louisa
Love this book, like when they find out that they're twins, so good, and the healing of their land, and Cal sending the ship far, far away, must read The Taste of Lightning now!

*First Read January 1st 2011*
Great ending to a great series! Loved it!
Katherine Cowley
This last book of the Chanters of Tremaris trilogy is my favorite of the series and a strong conclusion. The main character really comes into her own, especially when she's forced to discover her own value and strength, even without magic.
Charlotte
This is a fabulous conclusion to the trilogy!! This is the second time I read "The Chanters of Tremaris" trilogy, and I love it just as much, if not more than the first time I read it! This series will remain one of my all-time favorites!
Sassy
I really enjoyed this ending to the trilogy. I love the slight sci-fi touch with the truth of the lost city. I thought that Calwyn's moments of weakness gave her depth and complexity as she reached the height of her powers.
Nishisun
The Tenth Power was a very good book.It is a bit too sad but other than that I really liked it.I wish there was another book in this series!

-Kiran
Cecilia
This series is excellent. Recommended for young and old. The characters are wonderful, Calwin is a fantastic hero and the story is a rollicking good tale.
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
  • The Truth-Teller's Tale (Safe-Keepers, #2)
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • The Singing (The Books of Pellinor, #4)
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • Krystalhjertet (Historien om Mira, #3)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Edge on the Sword
  • Vindens øje (Jarastavens vandring, #3)
  • The Will of the Empress (Circle Reforged, #1)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
Kate Constable was born in Sangringham, Melborne (Victoria, Australia). When she was six-years-old, her family moved to Papua New Guinea where her father worked as a pilot.

Constable got her Arts/Law degree at Melborne University, then got a job at Warner Music. She started writing during these years.

She wrote several short-stories before becoming an author and after her first attempt at writing
More about Kate Constable...

The Chanters of Tremaris (3 books)
  • The Singer of All Songs (The Chanters of Tremaris, #1)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
The Singer of All Songs (The Chanters of Tremaris, #1) The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2) Crow Country Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4) Cicada Summer