Start by marking “Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria” as Want to Read:
Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria

Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Bacteria are invisible, mysterious, deadly, self-sufficient…and absolutely essential for all life, including yours. No other living things combine their elegant simplicity with their incredibly complex role: Bacteria keep us alive, supply our food, and regulate our biosphere. We can’t live a day without them, and no chemical, antibiotic, or irradiation has ever successfull ...more
Published (first published June 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Allies and Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allies and Enemies

Alan
In this book PhD microbiologist Anne Maczulak presents an overview of the bacterial enemies and bacterial allies of humans. On the enemies side we read about well-known and a few lesser known bacterial pathogens, as well as about how they are spread among humans. We hear a little about historical cases, such as Typhoid Mary, and more recent topics, including the use of Anthrax spores as a terrorist weapon and why it is both effective and non-effective. On the allies side, Maczulak describes the ...more
Lyndsey
Currently FREE ON KINDLE.

Personally, I find science books fascinating, but I know that many don't. They often lead to deep musings on the nature of the universe..... Oh, sorry, I was musing there for a second.

Well, if you are feeling scientific, it's a good discount from the usual price of twenty dollars, anyway. Get it here. Or there. Or anywhere. :-)
Kristen
got halfway through it - started to read more like a textbook than non-fiction and i lost interest. subject matter is really intriguing but starts to get too boring. not saying i won't return to it though!
Wei-Tang
Somewhat informative, but didn't find the organization or writing very engaging. At times, it read like an introductory chapter to microbiology textbooks.
Patti
The middle chapters were interesting. The end was dry and I ended up skimming it.
Lis Carey
Most of us mainly know about the bacteria that are bad for us--with good reason. Harmful bacteria can be very harmful indeed, so it's natural that they capture most of our attention.

And that's too bad, because harmful bacteria are a tiny minority, and many of the remainder aren't just harmless. They're vital to such basic functions as digesting our food. They play essential roles in making Earth habitable. The earliest bacteria played a crucial role in creating the free oxygen that made life as
Rachel
Im not a scientist but I found this book interesting, easy to read and understand. I particularily enjoyed the section about how bacteria has influenced the arts, especially in the style and content of paintings around the time of the black death, and the use of bacteria to clean up images - but also how bacteria is destroying some pieces of art. Bacteria is often percieved in a negative light so was interesting to see an arguement towards the opposite.

The case studies further helped visual bact
Nina
Very cool book about the different ways bacteria can and are being used in various industries
This was a good book for introducing people to the science of bacteria. Maczulak did a great job of catering to those interested in the topic but who may not have a background in microbiology. I would recommend germaphobes read this book to understand why bacteria are so important. She doesn't gloss over the fact that bacteria can also be dangerous but she does make some excellent points about how necessary bacteria are to humans and the world as a whole.
Donna
A really interesting book about the world of bacteria. I always remember a quote (from Stephen Jay Gould, I believe) that though we may talk about the Age of Fishes or the Age of Reptiles or the Age of Mammals, it has always been and continues to be, the Age of Bacteria. This book is a very easy read. It was disappointingly short though,as almost half the book is appendices.
Erika
In this book, Maczulak delves into topics relating to both the history and future of microbiology, including the role of bacteria in the environment, bacteria in human history, the development of antibiotics, bacteria in popular culture, genetic engineering of microbes, bacteria in the ecosystem, and bacteria, fuel and climate change.
Paola
Enjoyable book on bacteria dn the world around us. Precise but not textbook-like, it is informative and enjoyable, though again it is a pop-science book, so if you are looking for an academic take on the subject, this is not the book for you.

Very suitable for young adults.
Cathy
The writing is very flat - it reads like a high-school textbook -- but the information here is so interesting that I didn't care.
Jack
A book explaining the ubiquity of bacteria and their essential role in the world.
Lindsay
Very interesting book on bacteria, their variety and the roles they play in our lives.
Hal
Every thing I never knew about bacteria. Learned that eating dirt helps.
Emily Wood
really a 3.5, good overview of the applications for bacteria
Cerian
I had a hard time following Anne's train of thought.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Melissa Englund
Melissa Englund marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Reba
Reba marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • The Logic of Chance: The Nature and Origin of Biological Evolution
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know about Irish History: The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time
  • The 1-2-3 Money Plan: The Three Most Important Steps to Saving and Spending Smart
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Options for the Beginner and Beyond: Unlock the Opportunities and Minimize the Risks (Financial Times (Prentice Hall))
  • Your Credit Score: How to Fix, Improve, and Protect the 3-Digit Number that Shapes Your Financial Future
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives
The Five-Second Rule and Other Myths About Germs: What Everyone Should Know About Bacteria, Viruses, Mold, and Mildew The Smart Guide to Nutrition Environmental Engineering: Designing a Sustainable Future The Smart Guide to Biology Waste Treatment: Reducing Global Waste