Start by marking “Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans” as Want to Read:
Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans

Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans

It's a Terrible Day in the Neighborhood

They told you the suburbs were a great place to live. They said nothing bad could ever happen here.
But they were wrong.

This collection of terrifying true stories exposes the dark side of life in the ’burbs—from corpses buried in backyards and ghosts lurking in fast food restaurants to UFOs, vanishing persons, bizarre apparitions,
Published August 1st 2006 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Suburban Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suburban Legends

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsHollow City by Ransom RiggsWilliam Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian DoescherHorrorstör by Grady HendrixWilliam Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher
Quirk Books
58th out of 68 books — 71 voters
Heroika 1 by Janet E. MorrisAngels Cried by Stephen L. WilsonStories of Spirits by Teresa GarciaBeware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon DelanyUnsavory Elements by Tom  Carter
Unusual Anthologies
113th out of 160 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Bente
Aug 13, 2015 Bente rated it liked it
The stories got a little repetitive at times but overall it was a fun (and sometimes even scary) read.
Richard (Bound & Determined...)
There’s something simple and satisfying about Suburban Legends...especially for anyone who is a fan of true-crime, ghost stories, and unexplained happenings. Stall does an amazing job and conveying the essentials of each entry in a no-nonsense, tongue-in-cheek kinda way that makes even the most absurd funny and believable at the same time.

Suburban Legends is a super quick read, with each story being only a few pages, and some even have accompanying pictures! And who doesn’t love a book that incl
Wyatt Packard
Sep 23, 2013 Wyatt Packard rated it it was ok
This was an amusing little book with some interesting tales of the spooky and weird and was an okay book to read while on breaks at work or while sitting in some waiting rooms. However, in my mind, the author failed to distinguish many of the stories from one another and many had similar if not the exact same ending lines. "Don't drive on this stretch of road" or "You never really know your neighbor" etc... The writing is also very bland and creates little to no atmosphere, which I think is a ve ...more
Mishel Zabala
I can’t really recall what I was expecting out of Suburban Legends when I agreed to review it. I don’t remember it sinking in to my brain that the stories within were true tales of the “dark side” of suburban life. (Despite being stated right in the beginning of the synopsis… DUH! *smacks head*) I must have been thinking this was going to be a cool, fictional anthology filled with strange but equally as entertaining tales of the oddities that can occur in Suburbia. Uhhh, not exactly…

Granted some
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans by Sam Stall is being re-released as an e-book just in time for some scary October fun. This is one of those books full of brief, easy-to-read stories that, and I'm being honest here, are just plain fun to peruse from time to time. Most of the stories are known and not new to this collection. Not one will make sleep difficult, but several should give you a queasy feeling or at least acknowledging the gross-factor. (Certainly several di ...more
Karissa
Dec 12, 2013 Karissa rated it liked it
I got a copy of this book to review from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This was a decent collection of tales involving ghosts, UFOS, murderers, serial killers and other strangeness all set in suburban settings.

The book is broken into seven sections:
1. InHumanly Houseguests.
2. The Ghoul Next Door
3. Hellish Commutes
4. Backyard Beasts
5. Really Desperate Housewives
6. Law of the Dead
7. Sundry Cul-de-sacs

The stories are told in a very reporter like style, but with a tone of irony. Th
Pamela D
Nov 13, 2013 Pamela D rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
This book was generously donated by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Just like the blurb suggests, this book is a collection of true stories that range from funny to fairly scary. Most of the stories take place in the suburbs but some of them take place in slightly more rural areas. There are 66 stories in the book (I have to wonder if that was intended or not) and are each less than five pages.

This book is perfect for an October afternoon or evening when you want to curl up in so
Jay Knioum
Jul 23, 2015 Jay Knioum rated it really liked it
This has something for everyone. Ghosts, cryptids, true crime, UFOs, weird history, and mysteries that defy classification, all within the context of manicured lawns and strip-mall sprawl. Stall's lively style gives the yarns a fun spin.

Some of the stories could have used an accompanying photo for added context, and a magnifier would help the tiny type if you plan on picking up a paper copy. Those are my only gripes.

Recommended for fans of the stranger-than-fiction.
Heather
Received this book for free from the publisher for an honest review.

As a whole, the book had interesting stories to share. But legends are just that legend. I had a hard time with the premise of the book...true tales. Sam stall provided no bibliography, no notes at all at the back of the book. These are all interesting stories, yes. Portray this as that and then provide the links, the references so I can look into these stories for myself, and then I can have the evidence necessary to decide whe
Amber Terry
Sep 01, 2014 Amber Terry rated it liked it
I thought I would like this one more. I enjoyed it, but there just wasn't enough material for me to be entirely pulled in by the stories.
Dharia Scarab
Nov 05, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it
Interesting mixture of true crime, ghost stories, and other legends.
Crystal Alvord-Day
May 15, 2013 Crystal Alvord-Day rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot. I love mysteries and thrillers, but most of the time they are fictional. It was a nice change of pace to pick up a book and read several short tales of "true" mysteries! I enjoyed that the chapters were very short, made it an easy, quick read. And honestly fiction thrillers are nice, but sometimes it's the true thrillers that get you just a little more freaked!! :0) I would def. recommend this book to someone looking for a quick, enjoyable read!
Mike Mcconnell
The stories are presented in a bare bones fashion and in general the book would have benefited from fewer stories and a narrative or factual enlargement of some of the more interesting stories.
Megan Bodwell
Oct 19, 2012 Megan Bodwell rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, 2012
Not great at all. The stories weren't legends so much as just really strange anecdotes. Also, author Sam Stall didn't seem interested in doing much research for the book, as each story was extremely short without much background information or follow up. Couple that with the very informal and trite writing style and one has a very dull book indeed.
Brian
Jan 31, 2011 Brian rated it liked it
In this bric-a-brac of stories, the tales involve haunted and murderous goings on that happen in suburban areas. There were several chapters that included ghosts which were somewhat interesting. But the ones that were the most shocking and gruesome were the ones that revolved around murder. This was a quick, entertaining read.
Michelle
Mar 06, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
It only took 3 days to read this book. I really enjoyed it. The chapters were really short. Haunted houses, ghosts, poltergeists and people like John List, Betty Broderick, and the Amityville Horror were all covered. The pictures were very retro. Very reader friendly :)
Taylor
A quick read assortment of tales from urban myth, including psychos and the supernatural. Though pure froth, it became annoying to read because it reads like a Groupon ad.
Amy
Jan 14, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Good stories, all of them true. (supposedly) There were only a couple I have heard somewhere else, the rest were new to me. Very entertaining.
Chris Rayle
Jan 29, 2013 Chris Rayle rated it it was ok
Yeppers, no matter how quiet and cozy a place seems, weird shit can lurk. Had some interesting stuff, but didn't really grab the attention too well.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Intresting book, some stories I had heard before. Some stories I decided to take with a grain of salt. It filled in time, reading this.
Steph
May 03, 2016 Steph rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-food
A quick, light read, entertaining but unremarkable. This would be a good book to read on a plane or in a waiting room.
Kristyna Marie
Apr 28, 2013 Kristyna Marie rated it liked it
It was interesting. Had some good stories. Loved that it included the Amityville horror house prior to the Lutz family.
Sabrina
Mar 24, 2012 Sabrina rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nonfiction tales about some weird stuff that happens in neighborhoods, really enjoyed it =)
Cindy Franklin
Apr 14, 2008 Cindy Franklin rated it it was amazing
Great Book! Really fun read!
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Michael Wilson
Michael Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • All the King's Men (The Kings of Charleston #2)
  • Weird Florida
  • Weird New York
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • More Sand in My Bra: Funny Women Write from the Road, Again!
  • Whose Panties Are These?: More Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • Savannah Spectres and Other Strange Tales
  • The Dead Roam the Earth: True Stories of the Paranormal from Around the World
  • Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America
  • Gypsy Folk Tales
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest