Start by marking “Smax” as Want to Read:

Smax (Top 10 #4)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  1,338 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Jeff Smax, a major character in Alan Moores enthralling TOP 10 series, must return to his homeworld after many years on Earth. Accompanied by his fellow Neopolis Precinct Ten police officer Robin Toybox Slinger, he must face a myriad of challenges ranging from cutting through mountainous red tape to go on a quest, doing battle with the most monstrous of all dragons and ada ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Wildstorm (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Smax, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smax

May 09, 2011 Julian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it's worth clearing up one point straight away. This is not intended as a piece of serious fiction, okay? So, it isn't Watchmen (though Rorschach does make a cameo appearance, as does, wonderfully, Bill, the Galactic Hero) or V for Vendetta. This is Alan Moore having fun, and it is positively awesome. Dragons that look like giant pussy cats; illegal immigrant elves; reflections on just how boring it might have been to be a viking, and a masterful climactic homage to H P Lovecraft.

So, bas
Oct 09, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, and I guess it's a spinoff from another series called Top Ten, which goodreads has recommended but I have yet to read. I wasn't too sure whether I would like this book upon opening it, but once I started to read it I liked it. It contains subtle jokes and parodies of other major fantasy elements, such as a parody of Harry Potter, and some bad jokes about legendary creatures.
This just didn't work. It was supposed to be silly and satirical, but it was just off-putting. And I'm not even talking about the incest part. The book just makes fun of every fantasy trope in there is, which could have been funny, but came off as insulting, not witty. And Jeff, one of the heroes of the Top 10 series, is a complete and total idiot in every way in this book, why is that fun? Robyn was the only character who wasn't completely stupid, but she didn't have any depth. Everything I lov ...more
Jun 14, 2016 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually surprisingly great. So much tongue-in-cheek humor about fantasy. It's basically like Alan Moore does Shrek. And of course, it being Moore, there are some occult references and a lot of poking fun at the distinction between magic and science. The story has virtually nothing to do with Top. 10 other than being an extremely loose spin off based on one of the characters but was a good read if you like seeing Alan having a bit of fun.
Jul 06, 2008 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe, in the end, my absolute favorite of all four books technically constituting Top Ten. It's a great combination of serious questy problem solving and silliness, and the flat, candy colored drawings are just gorgeous. The book allows Moore to indulge himself in perhaps even more jokes than Top Ten did because now we're throwing in fairytales and legends and myths as well as anything that's ever appeared in a comic, and he (I'm assuming it's Moore, but I'm sure Zander Cannon got to contribute ...more
Adam Šilhan
Sep 12, 2016 Adam Šilhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Konečně příběh z Top 10 světa, který mi sedl. Nejspíš i proto, že fantasy je mi bližší než superhrdinové a policejnímu žánru neholduji vůbec.
Apr 06, 2010 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphica, superheroes
I sometimes wonder if Alan Moore thinks of something typically disturbing (or at the least, socially forbidden) and then creates a story around it with the intent of making the reader sympathize with the characters and agree that under these circumstances that well, maybe it's okay. For this one it's brother-sister incest. But really, that's just a smal;l part of the adventure. This one could give Fables a run for their money as far as a screwed up fairy-tale land would be with real dysfunctiona ...more
Feather Mista
Apr 21, 2011 Feather Mista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mooristas y fantasiosos.
Recommended to Feather by: Fer Bueno.
Spin-off de Top Ten que leí antes que su precuela y que me resultó mucho más divertida. Lástima que el dibujo de Cannon no esté al nivel del de Ha, pero su estilo más desprolijo y feísta sirve -y mucho- para la historia. Ahora que la bella Bucletina me lo regaló en papel seguro lo relea y lo rerreseñe.
Apr 15, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite of the too-short Top Ten universe. Although I liked the series (in a non-buyer way) this was the only volume I really loved, and would read again. The series just seems like a too-small glimpse at an intricate and intriguing world
Sep 13, 2015 Ptokremin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this. Thoroughly.

There were lots of times when I chuckled and some when I laughed out loud.

I don't think it's intended as "great literature (tm)" or "deep enough for it's roots to reach earth's core (R)". It may be a bit whimsical but for me it just worked: the funny bits, the scary parts (including the bureaucracy) and the love story.

It's got a strong male protagonist whose emotional defects are gently balanced by his female companions / relatives: "He hardly knows he HAS feelings, s
Vikas Khair
Feb 13, 2015 Vikas Khair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this wonderful spin off of Top Ten .. Jeff and Robyn go to Jeff's country/planet which is like fairy take realm. SMAX's pages are again filled with easter eggs of different nods to different stories and legends and myths.

Jeff used to be a DragonSlayer in his old life and when he has to go back to his universe for this uncle's funeral his past life catches up with him. And he has to go on back on the quest which he left unfinished last time.

Smax is filled with funny bits and pieces.
Jaime Mozo Dutton
Nov 12, 2015 Jaime Mozo Dutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently I attempted to start getting back into comics, after reading five or six typical Marvel trade paperbacks I was starting to wonder if maybe I had just grown out of the medium... Then I read this and I remembered what a magical immersive joy it can be to read a graphic novel. Loved it.
Not quite as good as the Top 10 comics and featuring two of my least favorite characters from that series (not to say that I don't like these characters....they just wouldn't have been the ones I'd have picked to focus a miniseries on), this is still a fun read.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Great concept, just wasn't followed through well enough, and after awhile all the Harry Potter jokes and the weird Rainbow Bright world (along with the overly cartoony drawing style) turned me off the story and made me just want to get back to the main storyline... also more incest, woo hoo (why do so many books use this? Seriously?)
Michelle Johnson
QUICK PITCH: Your Dungeon Master, a Terry Pratchett fan, has finally carried out her dream of setting a campaign in the Discworld.

VERDICT: Smax is something weird and strange. Toybox and Jeff Smax are familiar from Top 10, Vol. 1, but the switch from cop show to quest story was disorienting. The artist switch helped, but it took me a while.

After I'd adjusted to the new surroundings, the quest story crackled along nicely. Alan Moore's weirdness with women took me out of things a bit, but overal
Jay Salvosa
Jan 15, 2013 Jay Salvosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SMAX is a spin-off to Alan Moore's hit series TOP 10. Where TOP 10 focuses on the realm of superheroes and the tropes attached, SMAX fully dives into fantasy.

SMAX is funny in all parts (it really, really helps if you also dig fantasy and its related pop culture matters) and poignant in some. The comic showcases Alan Moore's amazing power to write a unique, memorable, and quotable dialogues which helps out in much in the plot progression (certain parts provide bulky expositions but they do not hi
Timothy Boyd
Nice mini series spin off from the main storyline in the Top Ten comics. Good read. Recommended
This was crap overall, but I did finish and I enjoyed the first issue so 2 stars instead of 1. The new characters were boring and unoriginal, as was the dialogue. The ending sucked, and I can not stand sappy simple cheesy art. Not recommended for fans of the first 2 books. SPOILER FOLLOWS:

I have a major problem with incest stories. Even though I understood the point that was being made, I was still too thrown off. What is it with this series? A dog and a woman hooking up in the
Content Notes for this book: incest, mass graves, rape, murder, cannibalism

Well. That was different. I like the art style in this volume, it's a little more sparse than the other Top 10s, and makes it easier for me to catch everything. It's also nice the epic fantasy nature of the quest, and how Robyn's understanding of science is used (and the tweaking of the genre). I wasn't amazing, or even really good, but it was definitely more enjoyable than not.
Richard Guion
Sep 02, 2012 Richard Guion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series, while I won't grade it as highly as Top 10, was a delightful read. We get to learn the origins of police officer Smax as he returns to his homeworld along with Robyn (Toybox). Smax in Top 10 appears to be a hero in the mold of Mon-El or something--but he actually comes from a fairy tale world full of dwarves and dragons. His origin is actually quite dark and the subject matter covers rape and incest--not for the faint of heart. But there is a lot of Moore's humor to lighten these da ...more
I think this was my least favourite of the Top Ten books. It was a fantasty spoof and while there were some quite funny moments I just don't think I read enough fantasy to get all the references. I did spot Cutter with a beer belly but it kinda reinforced the idea that it's just a genre that doesn't do much for me anymore.

It was amusing to see the police officers from the superhero worlds back in the fantasy setting. To see it all messed up. But it was a very light story without any depth. Just
Feb 19, 2014 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Alan Moore's best work, but definitely fun. Kind of like the Top 10 treatment given to the Sandman, but with more ogre incest.
This is a spin-off of the Top Ten books 1 and 2 with the character Jeff Smax and Toybox traveling to his home world for his father's funeral. Unfortunately, the drawings weren't as sharp as the Top Ten editions; an interesting premise though, the home world was like a fairy tale, no electricity, gingerbread house, etc. What really made me do a double-take was how Smax leaves his home world, bringing his sister back to Earth with him to continue their incestuous relationship. Where on earth did t ...more
Cute. Jokes occasionally miss the mark but generally hit it, and Moore does a good balance of humor and gravitas (the first Morningbright scene is legitimately really creepy). I had mixed feelings about Zander Cannon's art, though. He does some very nice things with scenery and backgrounds and Morningbright (some great splash pages too), but the style he draws his figures in rubs me the wrong way. Worth reading, but certainly not as good as the main series.
I love Alan Moore but have to say this is probably the book of his that I least enjoyed. I can handle silly as long as it's funny - this was mostly silly and only occasionally funny (to me). The main villain was interesting and cool. The solution to the problem was interesting if a bit of a stretch. The art was okay.

So if you're an Alan Moore completist, read it. If you're looking to sample Alan Moore look elsewhere (I would suggest Top 10 or the Watchmen).
Ryan Mishap
Aug 15, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Jeff Smax and Robyn "Toy Box" Singer travel to Smax's homeworld for the funeral of his uncle and the fantasy paradoies fly fast and furious. From fairy tales to Harry Potter, there's a ton of outright fun, background nods, and myth re-workings.
Yeah, Smax has unfinished business from when he used to be a dragon slayer and the plot is actually fine, but the little jokes (are you saying I was flirting with death?) are the coolest part of this.
Nov 30, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it
Top 10 related book by Alan Moore that's just as fun as either of the first two collections. The main thing that was lacking was all of the other Top 10 characters that I love so much. The story was pretty good and incredibly fun (quite Bone-esque, also). Very funny, as well. A lot of the frames feature references/homages to both popular and obscure fantasy characters of past and present, which I loved. Totally good.
Dec 31, 2008 Dan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Top Ten
Shelves: comics
Smax is a quick, but satisfying story of fairytales, science, and an old-fashioned hero's journey. The story isn't as dense as Top Ten but maintains a similar balance of humor and drama. It doesn't stand with From Hell or Watchmen , but Smax is a fine addition to Moore's Top Ten canon.
Mar 18, 2008 Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely hilarious spin off of the Top 10 series. A particular highlight was the conversation with Death - otherwise known as 'Lionel'. I loved all the innumerable cameos and references to other fantasy characters - I'm sure I spotted the Green Goblin in there at some point - but my hat goes off to Alan Moore and Zander Cannon for managing to squeeze in Billy the Fish from Viz. Genius.
  • Top 10: Beyond the Farthest Precinct
  • The Dreamer
  • L'Incal: Ce qui est en haut (The Incal, #4)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 6: Circles  (Usagi Yojimbo, #6)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Power Down (Ex Machina, #6)
  • Authority/StormWatch/WildCATS: Coup d'Etat
  • The House on the Borderland
  • Son of Celluloid
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 7: Eben and Stella
  • The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore
  • Global Frequency Vol. 2: Detonation Radio  (Global Frequency, #2)
  • Only the End of the World Again
  • Empire
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor