Start by marking “Gojiro: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Gojiro: A Novel

Gojiro: A Novel

3.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Gojiro is a triumph of storytelling that firmly established itself as one of the preeminent -- and funniest -- novels of the post-nuclear era.Its star, of course, is Gojiro -- the giant lizard -- made famous by a wildly successful cycle of B-movies and now come to exuberant literary life. Once a normal monitor lizard, he was transformed by an atomic test after World War II ...more
Published December 8th 1997 by Grove Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Gojiro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gojiro

Kurt Marquart
Oct 16, 2014 Kurt Marquart rated it it was ok
My rating on this book is my own personal rating, not meant to sway if you are a fan of the author, and like his style of writing. I found this book, and decided to read it based on the back cover description. Not what I expected at all. Maybe some day I can read it knowing what to expect.
Ron
Aug 07, 2011 Ron rated it liked it
This is a very odd little post apocalyptic tale about a boy and his mutated kimodo dragon with a quad cameral brain. Allegedly written in a repetitive Buddhist technique that is said to cause epiphanies in readers without their awareness by the end of the story. I'm not sure if that was truly the case for me, but I was deeply moved by this unusual story that tackled many topics of import well ahead of its time.
Will
Oct 16, 2009 Will rated it really liked it
I was turned on to this book in junior high when a friend's dad interviewed the author on his radio show. I read it, and liked it, but certainly there were things I didn't get at that age. I like to think that I understand it a little better now, and still enjoy re-reading it every 5 years or so. The author does a good job of creating a new language for his characters.
Lori
Oct 22, 2007 Lori rated it really liked it
an interesting Tale of Godzilla, being and intellectual creature with is best friend, a Japanese boy and how they provided a home for children deformed but the atomic bomb, and how is gets mixed up in hollywood, not something I would normally chose, but it was recommended and I enjoed it.
Geoffrey
Bizarre take on the Godzilla mythos... Sort of. The first half was brilliantly wrought with dark humor... Including mutant children and the Hollywood grind. Then it gets a bit bogged down and plodding. I was surprised at the upbeat ending...
Louis Joseph Fis
I read this book when I was around 12, and HATED it because it wasn't like a Godzilla story. Looking back I was expecting the wrong thing, and now I have to reread it as an adult and see if it's any good as what it actually is.
Patrick
Apr 20, 2010 Patrick rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book. I really did. I tries. I love the concept, but I found the execution to be... well, 'tedious' is not too strong a word here. Tehre are certainly worse books, but I can't say I'd recommend this at all.
David
Aug 15, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scifi fans, and Godzilla fans especially.
If it's not obvious by my moniker, I love this book.
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 14, 2015
David Oliver
David Oliver rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Tom Quinn
Tom Quinn rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2015
Ken Napper
Ken Napper rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Blair West
Blair West marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Zachary
Zachary is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Braden Z
Braden Z marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Mar 18, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jen Conway
Jen Conway is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2015
Rodney Lynch
Rodney Lynch rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Alison McDonald
Alison McDonald marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Phil
Phil added it
Jan 26, 2015
Jesse
Jesse rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2015
Duncan
Duncan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015