Start by marking “Love from the Ashes” as Want to Read:
Love from the Ashes

Love from the Ashes

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  449 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
During the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire, privileged Grace Wyne and Irish immigrant Nathaniel Dempsey fall in love. They seek a new life together, but society, her family, and nature itself, wage war against them. Their forbidden love is a sure formula for disaster.
ebook
Published September 2010 by Smashwords (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Love from the Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love from the Ashes

Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Agnew doesn’t have a firm grasp on historic fiction, but she knows how to write a love scene. Perhaps I am still reeling from The Captive Queen, but I felt the incident in the library was beautifully executed even if it did bear a certain resemblance to Atonement.

Grace wasn't my favorite leading lady. She starts strong but quickly loses her momentum. Her drive dissipates as soon as Nate enters her lif
Misfit
The year is 1906. Grace Wyne is determined to marry for love, and not for money and social position and she leaves her mother and Denver behind to spend time with her father and step-mother in San Francisco. Grace meets Irish immigrant Nathaniel (Nate) Dempsey when he applies for the job as her father's chauffeur and the two can barely keep their eyes (let alone their hands) off of each other. Surprisingly for the daughter of a wealthy Nob Hill businessman and a Denver socialite, Grace has almos ...more
Tara Chevrestt
I made it to the 50% point and realized that except for a bottle throwing episode and a barroom brawl, nothing of interest had happened. This chick is supposed to be a Suffragette and whereas she attends a few meetings, there is no real detail whatsoever about the Suffragettes or their meetings or cause. Grace shows up for the meeting on one page and by the next page, the meeting is over and she has spent the entire time thinking of her father's chaffeur and his taut muscles beneath his shirt an ...more
Verana Vacchiano
Dec 21, 2011 Verana Vacchiano rated it it was ok
For a free ebook it was better than expected but still pretty yawn-worthy and cringey. A good 80 percent of the book was boring, even the sexualized moments between whatsherface and whatshisface. The only interesting parts were when the earthquake happened and destruction was abundant. Even with this I feel the panic of the earthquake could have been better written, and maybe the book would have grabbed at my emotional heartstrings if someone died. The romance between the lead characters is bori ...more
Gator Girl
Jan 17, 2015 Gator Girl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
just started...and this was one of those "freebies" from an ebook site. "OK" so far....just the heroine's reaction the first time she sees the hero is such a romance novel cliche: his gaze and his voice makes her "tingle" in the region south of her navel? (eye roll)

p.s. I like the paperback version's cover better.

P.S.S I just can't do it. Couldn't finish it. I lost count on how many times I rolled my eyes at the stupid cliches and the dialogue.
Susie
Sep 12, 2011 Susie rated it it was ok
Despite the book's title and description, this book is about love formed before and around the time of the San Francisco fire, not after. The only thing that comes from the ashes is a destruction of socioeconomic prejudice that allows the characters to marry. This book would have been better without the sex.
Linda Andrews
Nov 04, 2011 Linda Andrews rated it really liked it
After refusing yet another marriage proposal, Denver socialite Grace Wyne finds herself cast out of her mother's house and shuttled to her father's Nob Hill mansion in San Francisco. She's ecstatic at the turn of events, believing her father will understand her need for a marriage based on love. He does, but that doesn't mean he supports her suffragist endeavors.

After loosing most of his family to a house fire, Irish immigrant Nate Dempsey left his homeland to make his fortune in America. Althou
Angela Oliver
May 24, 2012 Angela Oliver rated it really liked it
This is one of those "guilty pleasure" books. The ones that whilst they are not exactly the best written, and whilst the characters could have been better developed, you cannot help find yourself immersed in and enjoying. I was reading it more for the earthquake than the romance, however, and the fact that the earthquake did not occur until about 3/4s of the way through the story was a bit disappointing, but I did find that last bit rather gripping, although more could have been made of the trag ...more
Kay
Feb 04, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 Stars ~ When Grace's father divorced her mother and wed again, he moved to San Francisco leaving Grace with her mother in Denver. She's from a well to-do family and her mother pressures her to marry. But Grace had vowed that she'd only marry for love and so she repeatedly turns down her suitors. Feeling smothered by her mother's demands for her to marry Grace decides it's time for her to join her father in San Francisco. Nate's newly immigrated from Ireland and has been hired as a chauffeur fo ...more
Jenna
Dec 01, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
It so depressing with good ending. Two people wanted to be free from a parent prejudiced upbringing background against a poor Irish man who fell in love to a wealthy Irish descent woman.

Nathaniel Dempsey will prove to Grace Wyne's parents that he's not after their fortune, but only wanted Grace's love. When a massive earthquake happened in San Francisco everything was wiped out including Mr. Alistair Wayne's mansion due to a huge fire descended upon after the terrible earthquake, and turned ever
Alexei
Nov 15, 2011 Alexei rated it it was ok
Boring drab picture of pre-earthquake SF. Plot summary: Handsome men line up to propose to a beautiful rich girl, who instead gets the hots for a servant.

It was okay for a free book (kindle version). The "Irish" brogue was not believable and given that my partner is from Dublin I would know. Dialogue was silly. The girl and her stepmother were politically enlightened for no particular reason other than to give them a reason to leave the house while requiring an escort. Sex scenes were unbelieva
Amanda
I enjoyed this story except for one thing that really ruined the whole book for me. I may be wrong, because no one else has mentioned this, but it seems like we lost a day somewhere. The party was April 16. She was dressed in her party dress when she went to see Nate, and just in case it was a different party, she referred to the night's events when she spoke to Nate. But then we magically jump to the morning of April 18 and the earthquake. Um, where did the 17th go? It's a stupid thing to ruin ...more
Shannon Adamson
Nov 29, 2011 Shannon Adamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Holy crap! I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! I could not put it down all day, and the house showed for it. I am not really into historical romances much, but this one had my attention from the beginning. Probably because this took place during the San Francisco earthquake/fire of 1906, which really happened. And I believe the "social structure" that took place during the book really happened back then.

Man, nothing screams HOT male like an Irish male. Makes me want to visit Ireland, thank goodness my name i
Brenda
Feb 25, 2012 Brenda rated it it was ok
The book was interesting but at the time I feel that I was too distracted to really give it a good review. I had to put it down and pick it up again too often. So please, if the note below gotten from Good Reads describing the book sounds interesting to you, get the book for your kindle too.

McKayla
Aug 02, 2015 McKayla rated it liked it
A story about two people from different sides of the world and class who find they can't stay away from each other. This is a sweet love story set in the backdrop of one of the most traumatic natural disaster to hit America in modern times. I love that Grace could care less about someones standing in society. Yes she is wealthy but isn't against being seen amongst the real working class. She also wants to learn and have her life matter. She wants to make a difference and she doesn't care if anyo ...more
Cinta
Jun 25, 2015 Cinta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring and cliched
Cathy
Apr 13, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
An excellent historical romance centering around the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Grace is a rich man's daughter living in a huge house on Nob Hill. Nate is her father's Irish immigrant chauffeur. In the months leading up to the quake they find themselves falling into a forbidden love.
The story culminates in the days following the quake with a short epilogue taking place one year later.
A wonderful story.
Denise
Jan 10, 2012 Denise rated it liked it
I liked the setting. Turn of the century stories are so fun! The world was on the cusp of so many amazing technological and medical advancements but it was still very innocent. San Francisco is a city that is top of my bucket list. And, honestly, who can resist a man described as black Irish?!?!
Sibylla Matilde
Mar 24, 2012 Sibylla Matilde rated it really liked it
Stephanie
I love that this is set around San Francisco's 1906 earthquake! Cute story, illustrating an interesting part of American history: the suffragette movement as well as the start of the breaking down of the class system. I really enjoyed reading this one.
Dawn
Dec 05, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok
I liked the story and historical context. I gave it fewer stars becuase it focused on and was more explicit for my taste.

Lesson learned - next time I'll read a new authors bio before - if I had I would have skipped this book.
Andrea
Feb 07, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
A sweet romance set in the early 1900's. While the story was well written I personally didn't find it very gripping. While I normally devour a book in a couple evenings this was more of a relaxing read that I finished over a couple weeks.
Michelle
Sep 11, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Okay for a romance novel. I'm still trying to get used to reading these "things". Love more of the murder mystery novels, so this is a huge change. Found that I had a tough time putting it down though.

Liked it.
Rachel
Sweet romance between two individuals who were not of the same
class. I wish a little more history had been included,
but since this was also a romance, I guess it was okay.

Erin
Jan 12, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
If I could give this book 3 1/2 stars I would. I loved the story and the setting, but it was just a little slow paced. Overall enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more from her. :)
Jim Perry
Jan 24, 2012 Jim Perry rated it it was ok
Thought this was an historical novel about the San Francisco earthquake. Well, it was mostly a romance novel...my mistake...the earthquake was only a small part of it.
Dee
Aug 17, 2012 Dee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

She's rich, progressive
Falls for poor Irish chauffeur
San Francisco quake

I skimmed some of it
Too long to get to action
And repetitious
Krissys
Nov 13, 2014 Krissys rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
I couldn't stop laughing through this book, I really enjoy reading Love from the Ashes and frequently re-read it for the smile it puts on my face.
~*Ro*~
Jan 05, 2012 ~*Ro*~ rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
If I had actually paid money for this I am sure I would be more harsh with this review. It was nothing more than a 600+ page Harliquin.
Michelle
Nov 30, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was a free kindle book. It was a good historical/trashy romance set around the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
  • Heart of a Knight
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Lady Deception
  • Cry Uncle
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder
  • Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)
  • Here to Stay
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • Raphaela's Gift
  • Innocent Deceptions
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Love in Bloom
  • Never a Bride
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
19820
Denise is the coffee-slurping, genre-hopping author of over sixty-five paranormal, contemporary, historical, erotic, fantasy, military and romantic suspense novels. Romantic Times Book Reviews calls her romantic suspense novels “top-notch,” and she's received their coveted TOP PICK rating.

Archaeology and archery have crept into her work, and travels through England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales h
More about Denise A. Agnew...