Ancient Of Days

Ancient Of Days

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Now back in print--a powerful science fiction masterwork from the Nebula Award-winning author of Count Geiger's Blues. Ancient of Days is among Michael Bishop's most appealing works--the story of a prehistoric man found wandering in a Georgia orchard, whose honesty and deep spirituality bring him into conflict with the modern world.
Published February 1st 1995 by Orb Books (first published 1985)

Mariab
This book seems to have actually three books in one.
The first is the most interesting of all and keeps the reader into his story.
The author seems to take the position of a distant and indifferent father who gives his readers his point of view but does not try to convince them (us) about his reason. But then turns incisive and definitely seems to take a "indoctrination" course.
The last book is the worst of the three and there is where the apologetic tone becomes dominant, to be quite heavy in...more
Elizabeth
Michael Bishop was the special guest of honor will very science-fiction convention I cheered in August, so in preparation for meeting him, I scouted out a number of his books, including this one. I think this one may be my favorite.

Ask yourself what would happen if a supposedly extinct hominid was suddenly discovered to be not so extinct. That's the underlying premise of this book. What sets it off from the usual run is that the narrator is one of the more unlikable individuals are likely to enc...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in October 2002.

After the death of Philip K. Dick, Michael Bishop seemed to be the author most willing to follow in his footsteps. He has written a direct tribute (Philip K. Dick is Dead, Alass) but, more importantly, has taken on the question more central to Dick's output than any other, "What does it mean to be human?"

Ancient of Days is explicitly (at least, for a novel) about this question. It concerns a surviving member of the species homo habilis, an anc...more
Karen
May 26, 2011 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Shmell
This should really probably get a 2.5. It started off with an unusual premise, intelligent storytelling, and interesting characters, but then the plot just seemed to go from meandering to contrived and the characters became more irritating with each turning page. Some of its main themes, which were quite interesting, just never seemed to materialize or resolve in any satisfying way.
Ketan Shah
Similar in theme to Michael Bishop's other anthropological SF . If you enjoyed this,you'd probably enjoy Isaac Asimov's and Robert Silverberg's :The Ugly Little Boy" and "Borderline" by the French SF writer Vercors. You might also Pat Murphy's Rachel in Love and Robert Silverberg's The Pope of the Chimps and Frank M Robinson's Waiting
Christopher Roberts
This book begins very compelling, and takes an absurd premise and makes it believable. The problem is that the second half of the book abandons science in favor of some mystical mumbo jumbo. Bishop is unquestionably a good writer but this book seems to be a bit of a misfire for him.
Milo
Book was really a easy fast read... Kinda sad, when u think about the ignorance of man...... and how the innocent pay.... i guess it's a vicious cycle.....
i really did enjoy this.... made me think.
Don
Sep 02, 2007 Don rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Melissa
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
This is one of my favorite sci-fi's. About the survival of a lone australopithicus! I enjoyed it, and my daughter melissa has read it several times.
Peter
I can't buy the premise; read 100 pages and have decided it's not worth finishing.
Luis
Luis is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
jaxnsmom
jaxnsmom marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Jim Vaden
Jim Vaden marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Stan Waese
Stan Waese marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Kristen Hodges
Kristen Hodges marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jessica Robinson
Jessica Robinson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mykl Roventine
Mykl Roventine marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Kent Brown
Kent Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Michael Lawson Bishop is an award-winning American writer. Over four decades & thirty books, he has created a body of work that stands among the most admired in modern sf & fantasy literature.

Bishop received a bachelor's from the Univ. of Georgia in 1967, going on to complete a master's in English. He taught English at the US Air Force Academy Preparatory School in Colorado Springs from 1...more
More about Michael Bishop...
No Enemy but Time Philip K. Dick is Dead, Alas Brittle Innings Unicorn Mountain Count Geiger's Blues: A Comedy