Start by marking “Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5” as Want to Read:
Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5

Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5 (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  85,263 Ratings  ·  1,739 Reviews
Dear Reader,

If you are looking for a story about cheerful youngsters spending a jolly time at boarding school, look elsewhere. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent and resourceful children, and you might expect that they do very well at school. Don't. Fore the Baudelaires, school turns out to be another miserable episode in their unlucky lives.

Truth be told,
Paperback
Published September 20th 2010 by cbj (first published August 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5, please sign up.

Georgia Talbot
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jason Koivu
Dec 16, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Oh, oh! This is the one where the orphans get thrown into a difficult situation and are overseen by a caretaker who just doesn't care, allowing the evil Count Olaf to get at them...like deja vu all over again.

In The Austere Academy the Baudelaire kids end up at a school, which should be good news, because they love the learning, but of course it's not good. It's never good.

I stopped reading the series for a good long while at this point. Although the quality of this one is slightly higher than t
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Mark Lawrence
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fighting a sword-
Kristin
Probably my favorite of the series so far.
Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Nicholas Karpuk
Much like The Miserable Mill, Austere Academy finds Lemony Snicket showing that he set up his formula for the series partly to screw with the reader by changing them up occasionally.

Whereas book four featured very little Count Olaf until the end, with the orphans anticipating his appearance through the bulk of the story, book five introduces him fairly early as a gym teacher. What really amused me is that by this point the orphans are actually learning something. Instead of blurting out, "there'
Titilope
Jun 26, 2011 Titilope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read A Series of Unfortunate Events in order; so this was the first book I read, and I liked it. I liked it a lot. In fact, I liked it so much so, I read all the other books, attempted to draw Count Olaf, watched the film and I get seriously defensive if anyone dares to insult the books.

These books are often branded as being for children. I'm not really sure I would brand it as just being for children. It will definitely appeal to children, but I think to fully understand the humour in
Georgina Ortiz
Apr 12, 2012 Georgina Ortiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite word definition: The waning light of the sunset--the word "waning" here means "dim, and making everything look extra-creepy"--made the shadow of the coach's turban look like a huge, deep hole.
Kimberley doruyter
you would think a grown man would get tired of being bested by 3 children.
Mayra Sigwalt
3.5!
Uma grande melhora desde o último!! Introdução de personagens muito legais e a se sensação de que a série vai se focar mais no que aconteceu com os pais deles e quem é o Count Olaf, do que mais uma vez eles tentarem viver com um guardião incompetente. Veremos!!
Wigs
Dec 25, 2015 Wigs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to mention that I liked this better than the others so far. With the addition of the Quagmires I felt like there was more at risk than before and I felt more emotionally invested.

BUT.

I have a qualm and that is this:

The whole plot of The Miserable Mill revolved around Klaus's glasses and we were told he can't do anything or see without them.

So how is it, that after he lends his glasses to Duncan Quagmire for the night, he is able to spend all night studying and memorizing facts in the no
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 7

In Dept

Best Part:
(view spoiler)
Worst Part: That guys voice is breaking my ears!
Thoughts Had: shut up!!; cake sniffers!!!; oh nooo

Conclusion

Continuing the Series
Alex
Jul 21, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Great ASOUE Re-Read of 2015.

I think this is the first truly fantastic book in ASOUE. There's the sense of deeper story threads afoot here, rather than this just being another "oh la la la, our guardian sucks" story. We get the Quagmires. I love the Quagmires. I love how we get the first moment in three books when the Baudelaires are truly happy, and that's because they have friends their own age. Duncan and Isadora are a little flat, sure, but they're also kind. These children are st
Lis
Aug 21, 2014 Lis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Definitivamente el mejor libro de la serie hasta ahora. El adulto idiota de esta historia es uno de los personajes más odiables que leí.

¿Está bien que shippee tan pero tan fuertemente a Violet y Klaus con los Quagmire? ¡No pude evitarlo!

Como ya dije, esto se pone cada vez más horrible para los pobres chicos cuanto más avanza la historia, pero sé que van a salir de todo esto y ser felices, yo lO SÉ.
Mel
I am not sure how I feel about the fact that Lemony Snicket himself narrates the audiobooks.

I don't believe in lowering ratings on books because I've grown out of them, but the 5 stars for this series is not the same 5 stars I give for other books.
Aprille
Sep 12, 2013 Aprille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
The brightest story so far. This book restored my faith in SOUE. So much fun inspite the craziness, unrealistic unfortunate events the Baudelaires experienced. Lemony Snicket, hits and misses but this one was surely a hit!
Jude
Apr 13, 2015 Jude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly more bearable than the Miserable Mill - 3.7 stars :v
Marnie
Dec 20, 2015 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Tim Curry really makes you hate the villains on this one.
Lesley
Mar 12, 2012 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

The Austere Academy is a rather important book in the Series of Unfortunate Events. It introduces us to 3 important new players in our story. The First and unfortunately the most horrid, is Carmelita Spats. There is no getting around it. You will hate this character. She is obnoxious and rude and cruel. She is the opposite of everything the Baudelaire children are and stand for I almost can't imagine a most unlikeable child and I have to give Daniel Handler kudos for creating her.

The next two
Samuel
Nov 25, 2013 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book, "The Austere Academy" by Lemony Snicket. I liked this book, as I have been reading The Series of Unfortunate Events. This book was just another great writes Lemony Snicket has done, making this book exciting and suspenseful. Overall, this is a great book with a fantastic plot, like any other book that Snicket writes.

The Plot starts out where Klaus, Violet, and Sunny learn they will be living in the "Orphan Shack" at the Academy because they don't have a guardian to give them the
Julie
May 02, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Cassie
Shelves: childrens-lit
The Quagmires!!!

The kids learning to default to their own initiative and not rely on adults!!

Continued teamwork!!

THE QUAGMIRES

Also, the fact that it's starting to reveal little bits & pieces of the overarching plot is really exciting me, from hearing tiny little snippets of what happened to Beatrice and how it might tie in here (!), the first mention of the V.F.D., etc. ugh I just want to know all the secreeeeets.
Kelsey Hanson
Feb 03, 2016 Kelsey Hanson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If I'm totally honest without myself, I like the Baudelaires, but I read this series for the villains. The author is so good at creating a variety of uniquely detestable characters. There are plenty of authors who write villains that you dislike on principle just because he is the bad guy and you're supposed to. These ones I genuinely hate the villaains. In this case, Carmelita Spatz (great villain name) and Vice Principal Nero. I hated Carmelita, and I mean instantly hated her, as soon as I hea ...more
Rita
Jan 30, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

It's a goal of mine for 2016 to re-read one book from this series each month (because of the Netflix series in production) and since I re-read books 2~4 in June of 2015, I thought I'd start with this one. It's rather exciting for me because I never manage to make it past the 4th book whenever I re-read this series. I had quite honestly forgotten most of what happens in this book and it was such a refreshing yet nostalgic read for me. Again, Lemony Snicket's writing style is superb and he ma
Jbb Lim
Feb 20, 2015 Jbb Lim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, the more I read this series, the more I like how smart these kids are. Though they are EXTREMELY unfortunate (obviously) but I think many readers are missing out the point that they are really smart. They can adapt to many of their misfortunes in order to get their way. I don't know what the end will be but I think there's something about this series that the author has to give.

This book has a turn of event, it kind of left me with a cliffhanger. Now, that is goooood writing... They've made
Izza
Jan 18, 2016 Izza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Cute book! I loved that a kid had written 'I haven't read the book yet, but I'm pretty sure Count Olaf will replace the gym teacher in disguise' in the library copy... I'm not saying if she was right or not, also, don't write in library books, kids!
SuperHeroQwimm
Aug 19, 2015 SuperHeroQwimm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much needed improvement over the last book. The Quagmires added a new element to the story which I found enjoyable, and they alone made the ending differ from the previous books which was also pleasing.
Corrie
Apr 23, 2014 Corrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG the last chapter had my heart racing, I just wanna know what happens next!
This story Is starting to kick off into bad ass adventure.

Love the work by lemony snicket, let the adventure begin.
Teresa B
Oct 13, 2009 Teresa B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "woe-filled" collection of thirteen books about the tribulations of three unusually talented orphans will keep adults entertained as well as children. When I first saw the series I thought, "That looks too depressing," but soon I discovered the hilarity in overabundant alliteration, contemptible villains, and idiotic bystanders.

As the series progresses and the mysteries deepen, the children's characters grow and develop in surprising ways as togehter they face obstacles and a growing numbe
Julesmarie
This was back to being much more light-hearted again. Not only were the Baudelaire children all able to remain united as they tried to outwit Count Olaf, but this time they even recruited friends to help them.

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to watch the development of the friendship between the two sets of orphans, and definitely appreciated that the Baudelaires finally had someone believe them.

I was also increasingly fascinated by the mentions of Beatrice and am intrigued to learn more about how s
Yzobelle
This is the brightest story so far among the first five of SUE. I kept telling myself this is quite different from the others because one, the Baudelaires actually had friends; two, it was a pretty long story that it did quite drag a bit; and three, the ending is too suspenseful and hanging. These three are not reasons for the three stars (and not higher like what I gave to the first four). These three things just made Book 5 a bit different from the rest.

I was happy though that the Baudelaires
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Goodreads Discussion 2 12 Mar 24, 2015 01:41PM
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Voxer Discussion 1 9 Feb 02, 2015 05:58AM
The Nooks of Books: The Austere Academy 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:16AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 6 Nov 08, 2014 07:38AM
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm, #7)
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Fugitive Factor (On The Run, #2)
  • Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon, #1)
  • Time Stops for No Mouse (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Half-Moon Investigations
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 950 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 551 likes