Start by marking “Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5” as Want to Read:
Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5

Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5 (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  67,930 ratings  ·  1,351 reviews
Dear Reader,

If you are looking for a story about cheerful youngsters spending a jolly time at boarding school, look elsewhere. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent and resourceful children, and you might expect that they do very well at school. Don't. Fore the Baudelaires, school turns out to be another miserable episode in their unlucky lives.

Truth be told,
Paperback
Published September 20th 2010 by cbj (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eine Reihe Betrüblicher Ereignisse Bd. 5

Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Nicholas Karpuk
Much like The Miserable Mill, Austere Academy finds Lemony Snicket showing that he set up his formula for the series partly to screw with the reader by changing them up occasionally.

Whereas book four featured very little Count Olaf until the end, with the orphans anticipating his appearance through the bulk of the story, book five introduces him fairly early as a gym teacher. What really amused me is that by this point the orphans are actually learning something. Instead of blurting out, "there'
Kat Thomas
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Georgina Ortiz
Favorite word definition: The waning light of the sunset--the word "waning" here means "dim, and making everything look extra-creepy"--made the shadow of the coach's turban look like a huge, deep hole.
Elliot
I laughed out loud reading The Austere Academy far more often than I'd like to admit. The silliness of the dining hall rules, the disrepair of the "Orphan Shack," and the repeated joke about the "advanced computer" were riotous. The book is even funny enough to make me forget about how ridiculous it is that the Baudelaires can go without sleep so easily. (The fact that their late-night runs make them merely sleepy and less studious -- instead of in serious medical danger -- is only slightly more ...more
Titilope
I didn't read A Series of Unfortunate Events in order; so this was the first book I read, and I liked it. I liked it a lot. In fact, I liked it so much so, I read all the other books, attempted to draw Count Olaf, watched the film and I get seriously defensive if anyone dares to insult the books.

These books are often branded as being for children. I'm not really sure I would brand it as just being for children. It will definitely appeal to children, but I think to fully understand the humour in
Jason Koivu
I stopped reading the series at this point. Each book was too similar to the last, although the quality of this one is slightly higher than the last. The plot structure is cookie cutter and the material not interesting or funny (though I must admit "cakesniffer" as an insult is good stuff) enough to keep my attention, so that I seem to be losing interest in the series with each book I read. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Aprille
The brightest story so far. This book restored my faith in SOUE. So much fun inspite the craziness, unrealistic unfortunate events the Baudelaires experienced. Lemony Snicket, hits and misses but this one was surely a hit!
Samuel
I read the book, "The Austere Academy" by Lemony Snicket. I liked this book, as I have been reading The Series of Unfortunate Events. This book was just another great writes Lemony Snicket has done, making this book exciting and suspenseful. Overall, this is a great book with a fantastic plot, like any other book that Snicket writes.

The Plot starts out where Klaus, Violet, and Sunny learn they will be living in the "Orphan Shack" at the Academy because they don't have a guardian to give them the
Mark Lawrence
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fighting a sword-
Teresa B
This "woe-filled" collection of thirteen books about the tribulations of three unusually talented orphans will keep adults entertained as well as children. When I first saw the series I thought, "That looks too depressing," but soon I discovered the hilarity in overabundant alliteration, contemptible villains, and idiotic bystanders.

As the series progresses and the mysteries deepen, the children's characters grow and develop in surprising ways as togehter they face obstacles and a growing numbe
Penny Raspenny
Pleasantly surprised!

I expected it to be mediocre in comparison with the others (being the 5th book and all) but I found myself liking it more than the 4th.

It was good to finally have some friends for the Baulelaire children, in spite of what happens in the end. This time the children handled their unfortunate situation better although, as we all expected, things didn't go as planned. We do finally get some hints about Count Olaf's secrets but only in the end of chapter 13. What the hell could
Chris Blocker
I like what Snicket/Handler is setting up in this, the fifth book, for the rest of the series. In books 1 through 4 he set up a basic storyline and formula, and repeated it in episodic fashion, making only the slightest alterations to keep the story interesting. The same basic formula is repeated in The Austere Academy, but Snicket/Handler introduces several arcs to the series that will clearly play out in future books. What's the V.F.D.? Who is Beatrice, and what is her relation to the author? ...more
Punk
Miserable Orphan Fiction. The Baudelaire orphans are sent to boarding school. Violet and Klaus attend classes while Sunny is pressed into service as an administrative assistant. The Baudelaires are befriended by the Quagmire triplets and if you think that ends well, you haven't been paying attention.

For the first time in these books, we catch a glimpse of other children's lives and get the sense that maybe everyone is miserable in this world. The boarding school is a terrible place, staffed wit
Elizabeth
Melissa
The Austere Academy is usually the point at which I give up trying to re-read the ASoUE series, not because it's a bad book - certainly not - but because I think it's the point at which the original formula stretches too far. There are only so many times the Baudelaires can be transferred to a new guardian, pursued by a disguised Olaf and narrowly thwart his schemes before it becomes as tiring as forcing orphans to run laps around a luminous track night after night. This time I was absolutely de ...more
Juushika
Sent this time to a boarding school, the orphaned Baudelaire siblings encounter horrible living conditions, grueling courses, and something truly unexpected: friends. But not even friendship is safe from Count Olaf's continued machinations. The Quagmire siblings are what this series needed. The best of the previous books--their darkly whimsical content and humorously maudlin tone--persists, but the friendship between the Quagmires and Baudelaires introduces variety and contrast, as well as progr ...more
Alyssa Miller
“The Austere Academy” is the fourth book in “A Series Of Unfortunate Events”. This is a fantastic book written by Lemony Snicket. The Baudelaire children have, yet again, been sent to another guardian. The children find that they have, once again, been put in the car of a person who doesn’t really know how to properly care for them. The children are living in a shack with no access to a library. This is the first time in the series that the children can’t use the library to help them out of this ...more
Corrie
OMG the last chapter had my heart racing, I just wanna know what happens next!
This story Is starting to kick off into bad ass adventure.

Love the work by lemony snicket, let the adventure begin.
Anna
I really love this series! I am also very happy that the Baudelaires have made some new friends who will make more appearances in the next books.

"Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at o
Hannah
The Baudelaire orphans are sent to a boarding school that has a quite arrogant vice principal. Count Olaf disguises himself once again, this time as a gym teacher named Coach Genghis.
Lesley

The Austere Academy is a rather important book in the Series of Unfortunate Events. It introduces us to 3 important new players in our story. The First and unfortunately the most horrid, is Carmelita Spats. There is no getting around it. You will hate this character. She is obnoxious and rude and cruel. She is the opposite of everything the Baudelaire children are and stand for I almost can't imagine a most unlikeable child and I have to give Daniel Handler kudos for creating her.

The next two
Trish
"You certainly are an intelligent man," he continued.

"Not only am I intelligent," Genghis agreed, "I’m also very smart."

This spoiler-free review was first published on The Bookshelf at the End. If you've already read The Austere Academy read the discussion/reaction review here.

This is definitely the end of the patterned story line from the previous four books and now we start with more plot and more mystery revolving around the Baudelaires and their fortune. There’s more drama, so it’s a nice sw
Julesmarie
This was back to being much more light-hearted again. Not only were the Baudelaire children all able to remain united as they tried to outwit Count Olaf, but this time they even recruited friends to help them.

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to watch the development of the friendship between the two sets of orphans, and definitely appreciated that the Baudelaires finally had someone believe them.

I was also increasingly fascinated by the mentions of Beatrice and am intrigued to learn more about how s
Yzobelle
This is the brightest story so far among the first five of SUE. I kept telling myself this is quite different from the others because one, the Baudelaires actually had friends; two, it was a pretty long story that it did quite drag a bit; and three, the ending is too suspenseful and hanging. These three are not reasons for the three stars (and not higher like what I gave to the first four). These three things just made Book 5 a bit different from the rest.

I was happy though that the Baudelaires
GraceWastheAnswer
These stories are interesting, and with the ever present, impending doom, they are extremely difficult to put down. The stories are very unique, bleak, yet silly,or a delightful blend of them both. In the later books, I came to embrace, and enjoy the silliness, and the over explanation of words, as Daniel's own unique sense of humor. I can not believe that he actually believed his readers to be that ignorant. I believe that it was more of a tease_ dark, spiteful, humor, which I thoroughly enjoy ...more
Jessica
I wrote this earlier, but it bears repeating: the only good thing about being sick is having a built-in excuse to read a lot of Lemony Snicket in one day. And by 'a lot', I mean the first five- count 'em, 5!- books in A Series of Unfortunate Events in one day. Because of this, please excuse the copy pasting. I'll take this time to admit that this review is identical to that of the Miserable Mill (book #4). Now that's out of the way, on with the review.

The books have a way of touching some really
Carmen
Dec 15, 2013 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: children, fiction
These books are hilarious and gripping.

Vocabulary that children will learn in this book: austere, adversity, architect, sinister, mulctuary, atrocious, incredulously, condominium, territorial, gingerly, fetus, loathsome, couplet, topsy-turvy, quagmire, hectic, triptych, dictated, recuperate, wretched, turban, inconceivable, inevitable, undoubtedly, snickering, queasy, trudged, autopilot, hapless, treacherous, waning, atrocious, luminous, tedious, wincing, diligence, symbolic, blearily, groggy,
Julie S.
Of course, I really enjoyed this book. No surprise there when the rest of the series has been this great. The things that make it great:

1. The unique story. Too many children stories, especially orphan stories, end with a "happily ever after." Snicket is not at all afraid to take the orphan story and make it something quite different.

2. The set-up. Snicket is an outside observer who has researched the Baudelaires' experiences. That allows for a different narrative voice. He occasionally goes on
Charlotte
Personally, I'm getting a bit bored of these books. Perhaps it is because of the continuing reading of these books, one after the other that is the problem, but I find myself wishing for something a bit more developed than these. I know that they are children's books, but... I just found this one a bit tedious, despite the subtle change from the norm.

Mr Poe is as useless and as clueless as ever, Count Olaf is as predictable as ever, though somehow the adults are still caught up with the children
quotablebookquotes: The Austere Academy: Chapters 1 - 4 7 7 Aug 01, 2013 04:32PM
quotablebookquotes: The Austere Academy: Chapters 9 - 13 4 5 Aug 01, 2013 03:47PM
quotablebookquotes: The Austere Academy: Chapters 5 - 8 4 8 Aug 01, 2013 03:46PM
quotablebookquotes: The Austere Academy: An Overview 2 4 Jul 24, 2013 02:42PM
ONTD Book Club: The Austere Academy 3 12 Jul 04, 2013 08:06AM
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • The Report Card
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 890 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 521 likes