Start by marking “Sigmund Freud (Giants of Science #3)” as Want to Read:
Sigmund Freud (Giants of Science #3)

Sigmund Freud (Giants of Science)

Before Freud, nobody discussed unconscious motives, Oedipal complexes, the id and the ego, or Freudian slips. Freud was a complicated, often irascible man, who in 19th-century Vienna developed his still-controversial ideas and the new discipline of psychoanalysis.
Published October 19th 2006 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Sigmund Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sigmund Freud

Ruth Ann
Aug 30, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
I have read several other books in the Giants of Science series. All of them are well-researched, informative, and depict the scientist as a whole person, sharing family and individual personality information. I like how each scientist is depicted within the historical context of his life.
This particular book is probably the most controversial in that many people would not label Freud a true scientist. Yes he was a medical doctor and well-educated, but Freud did not use the scientific method of
Sep 28, 2014 Gabby rated it liked it
Sigmund Freud was born on May 6, 1856 in Freiberg, Czech Republic. He studied medicine at the University of Vienna, and became interested in studying the human brain. He came up with his own theories about human behavior and invented a branch of science called psychoanalysis. The Viennese didn’t agree with him at first, but later, Freud’s psychoanalysis spread around the world. He used it to cure the soldiers that fought in World War I. He died on September 23, 1939 from mouth cancer.
The book se
Aug 18, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
Sigmund Freud, siapa yang tidak mengenal nama tersebut? Bagi orang yang menyukai bidang Psikologi pastilah sudah sangat familiar dengan tokoh legendaris ini. Freud adalah Bapak Psikologi Modern, sang penemu Psikoanalisis, sebuah cabang ilmu Psikologi baru yang merevolusi bagaimana kita memandang pikiran manusia sebagai subjek sains yang bersifat pasti dan universal.

Buku yang ditulis Kathleen Krull dengan ilustrasi yang keren dari Boris Kulikov ini sebenarnya tak lebih dari rangkuman kisah biogra
Mar 15, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-non-fiction
Kathleen Krull weaves magic with words. She introduces us to the life and the world of great scientists, in this case, Sigmund Freud. As Freud’s life is told in novel form, the story comes alive, rich with humorous anecdotes and everyday snippets of events and we are drawn more to the character of the man, rather than his contributions to science.

Having said that, Krull does methodically recount how Freud was influenced by other important scientists of his day and how he relished his interactio
Kaylabookworm22 L
May 04, 2014 Kaylabookworm22 L rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this and learning about Freud. It was a fun read and strengthen my liking for psychology way more. I am very much into psychology.
Sonia Jarmula
Apr 06, 2012 Sonia Jarmula rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I ordered this book from the library hoping to learn more about Freud's theories and practices, and came away with an abundance of knowledge about who he was as a doctor, a friend, a husband and a father. I expected an easy, bland children's book, (although I don't know many people-particularly children-interested in Freud) but I found that this gave me details about terribly cruel methods of curing mental illnesses, his relationships, journey through triumph and failure, his methods and so much ...more
SuSanne Henriksen
Aug 04, 2016 SuSanne Henriksen rated it really liked it
Educational, very easy to read.
Jul 07, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the life and ideas of Sigmund Freud. While the book is geared towards younger readers, everyone can appreciate the book's easy-to-read style and anecdotes that show she's put a lot of research into the book.

I believe Einstein once said to make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. Kathleen Krull has done just that: she takes Freud's complicated ideas and life, and she presents them simply without distorting them through simplification.
Jul 16, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
This book was so delightful to read. Although written for younger readers, I found it a good intro to Freud's work. It highlights the major points in his work and how these were developed through his own internal drives, and acknowledged his groundbreaking work in the area, whilst acknowledging the lack of scientific evidence for his theories.

I would highly recommend this for anyone who wants a quick summary of Freud without getting bogged down in scholarly texts.
Dec 30, 2013 Jemayla rated it liked it
I wanted to learn a little bit about the man and this book gave me just the right amount of information I was wanting. :) I love junior non-fiction.
Pattie Babbitt
May 06, 2013 Pattie Babbitt rated it really liked it
Kathleen Krull is a great biography writer for kids! Quick read, and I loved the last sentence. I totally want a pair of fuzzy Freudian slippers!!!
Sep 03, 2009 Maria rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I question whether the intended age range would enjoy this title. How many 11 year-olds are interested in Freud?
Yesse   (Within_the_Pages)
Read this more for my own personal interest in psychology. The book itself was alright.
Jul 26, 2008 ~mars~xp is currently reading it
I enjoyed this immensely.
Sara Irick
Sara Irick rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Joe rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Debora marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Celi marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Livia rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Ksych marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Elena Aizen
Elena Aizen rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Stella marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Susan rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Giants of Science (7 books)
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Leonardo Da Vinci: Giants of Science #1
  • Albert Einstein (Giants of Science)
  • Charles Darwin
  • Isaac Newton (Giants of Science, 2)
  • Marie Curie