Start by marking “Sigmund Freud: Giants of Science #3” as Want to Read:
Sigmund Freud: Giants of Science #3

Sigmund Freud: Giants of Science #3 (Giants of Science)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Before Freud, nobody discussed unconscious motives, Oedipal complexes, the id and the ego, or Freudian slips. Freud was a complicated, often irascible man, who in 19th-century Vienna developed his still-controversial ideas and the new discipline of psychoanalysis.
Published October 19th 2006 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Sigmund Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sigmund Freud

Ruth Ann
I have read several other books in the Giants of Science series. All of them are well-researched, informative, and depict the scientist as a whole person, sharing family and individual personality information. I like how each scientist is depicted within the historical context of his life.
This particular book is probably the most controversial in that many people would not label Freud a true scientist. Yes he was a medical doctor and well-educated, but Freud did not use the scientific method of
Gabby
Sigmund Freud was born on May 6, 1856 in Freiberg, Czech Republic. He studied medicine at the University of Vienna, and became interested in studying the human brain. He came up with his own theories about human behavior and invented a branch of science called psychoanalysis. The Viennese didn’t agree with him at first, but later, Freud’s psychoanalysis spread around the world. He used it to cure the soldiers that fought in World War I. He died on September 23, 1939 from mouth cancer.
The book se
Robert
Sigmund Freud, siapa yang tidak mengenal nama tersebut? Bagi orang yang menyukai bidang Psikologi pastilah sudah sangat familiar dengan tokoh legendaris ini. Freud adalah Bapak Psikologi Modern, sang penemu Psikoanalisis, sebuah cabang ilmu Psikologi baru yang merevolusi bagaimana kita memandang pikiran manusia sebagai subjek sains yang bersifat pasti dan universal.

Buku yang ditulis Kathleen Krull dengan ilustrasi yang keren dari Boris Kulikov ini sebenarnya tak lebih dari rangkuman kisah biogra
Jackie
Kathleen Krull weaves magic with words. She introduces us to the life and the world of great scientists, in this case, Sigmund Freud. As Freud’s life is told in novel form, the story comes alive, rich with humorous anecdotes and everyday snippets of events and we are drawn more to the character of the man, rather than his contributions to science.

Having said that, Krull does methodically recount how Freud was influenced by other important scientists of his day and how he relished his interactio
Kaylabookworm22 L
I enjoyed reading this and learning about Freud. It was a fun read and strengthen my liking for psychology way more. I am very much into psychology.
Sonia
I ordered this book from the library hoping to learn more about Freud's theories and practices, and came away with an abundance of knowledge about who he was as a doctor, a friend, a husband and a father. I expected an easy, bland children's book, (although I don't know many people-particularly children-interested in Freud) but I found that this gave me details about terribly cruel methods of curing mental illnesses, his relationships, journey through triumph and failure, his methods and so much ...more
Michael
An excellent overview of the life and ideas of Sigmund Freud. While the book is geared towards younger readers, everyone can appreciate the book's easy-to-read style and anecdotes that show she's put a lot of research into the book.

I believe Einstein once said to make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. Kathleen Krull has done just that: she takes Freud's complicated ideas and life, and she presents them simply without distorting them through simplification.
Tara
This book was so delightful to read. Although written for younger readers, I found it a good intro to Freud's work. It highlights the major points in his work and how these were developed through his own internal drives, and acknowledged his groundbreaking work in the area, whilst acknowledging the lack of scientific evidence for his theories.

I would highly recommend this for anyone who wants a quick summary of Freud without getting bogged down in scholarly texts.
Jemayla Heath
I wanted to learn a little bit about the man and this book gave me just the right amount of information I was wanting. :) I love junior non-fiction.
Pattie Babbitt
Kathleen Krull is a great biography writer for kids! Quick read, and I loved the last sentence. I totally want a pair of fuzzy Freudian slippers!!!
Maria
I liked this book, but I question whether the intended age range would enjoy this title. How many 11 year-olds are interested in Freud?
Yesenia  (Yesse)
Read this more for my own personal interest in psychology. The book itself was alright.
~mars~xp
Jul 26, 2008 ~mars~xp is currently reading it
I enjoyed this immensely.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Luffy Prasetyo
Luffy Prasetyo marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
J
J is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Katherine Steve
Katherine Steve marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Dark Knight
Dark Knight marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Giants of Science (7 books)
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Leonardo Da Vinci: Giants of Science #1
  • Albert Einstein (Giants of Science)
  • Charles Darwin
  • Isaac Newton (Giants of Science, 2)
  • Marie Curie
Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez The Boy on Fairfield Street The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)