Start by marking “The Green Rust” as Want to Read:
The Green Rust

The Green Rust

The chase is on to stop Dr. Van Heerden before he can release the threat of the Green Rust and take over the world in this exciting page-turner, originally published in 1919, from the undisputed "King of Thrillers, " Edgar Wallace. During the 1920's and 30's, it was said that one of every four books read in England was written by Wallace, who ultimately produced 173 books ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 1999 by Pulp (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Rust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Rust

Anna  Peak
Jan 23, 2012 Anna Peak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I should feel guilty about loving Edgar Wallace's books, but I don't. They are great fun and I will always love Edgar Wallace for writing the only books that could help me relax during the month between turning in my dissertation and my dissertation defense. I remember especially liking The Green Rust the first time I read it, when I was about fifteen, and I was very pleased when I finally found it again online for free (it took me a while, because for a bit I was somehow convinced that th ...more
Leslie
This 1919 thriller was suspenseful even though the plot is dated in some technical aspects (such as (view spoiler)). The main portion of this though seemed surprisingly modern -(view spoiler)
Herman Gigglethorpe
Oct 24, 2014 Herman Gigglethorpe rated it it was ok
Shelves: snark-material
This is the kind of bestseller you would find in the 1920s. Edgar Wallace is sometimes called the "James Patterson of his time", and for good reason. Both are extremely prolific. As many as 25% of books sold in Britain at the time were written by Wallace, and I see posters for a new Patterson book every couple of weeks in my local library. That, and both are mystery and thriller writers.

What is the "Green Rust"? I'll go ahead and spoil it for you because who is going to read this except for thos
Scilla
Sep 13, 2011 Scilla rated it liked it
The plot is a little farfetched as are most of Wallace's books, but it is a good read. It begins with the murder of a very rich man who has just written his will leaving his money to his poor niece who is not supposed to know about the legacy until the day she is married (to prevent treasure seekers). It involves a plot by a German after WWI to kill all the corn in the developed world and force them to buy corn from Germany (who still has its own and all of Russia's corn) at greatly inflated pri ...more
Polly
Kimbolimbo
Jun 08, 2011 Kimbolimbo rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I believe that John Christopher must have read this book before writing his novel, No Blade of Grass. I consider this book to be the prequel to No Blade of Grass. So as you can imagine, I enjoyed reading this thriller even though the dialogue was ridiculous and it was very annoying that every bad person and good guy kept revealing their hand of cards each time they thought they had succeeded only to have the rug pulled out from beneath their feet.
Esther
Jul 04, 2012 Esther rated it really liked it
Librivox audio edition
I love Edgar Wallace, his fantastical plots and predictable but passionate heroes.They are great to listen to while I'm at work weaving. I had listened to all of the canon on Librivox and I'm glad to see they have added a few more.
This book has a great "McGuffin" of the green rust that will destroy all the corn crops of the world, throwing economies into chaos, almost like a Dr No or other James Bond villian.
The book is dated with a strong anti-German bias.
Neil
Mar 30, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What looks at first like it is going to a fairly straightforward murder mystery, opens up into story of biological terrorism with a plot to destroy the world's grain harvest, with a dastardly German (it's an Edgar Wallace book, of course the German's dastardly) behind it all. Wallace is better a the set up than seeing the narrative trough, but still it's a nice Edgar Wallace yarn, one of his best.
Abbie
Sep 03, 2013 Abbie rated it really liked it
I listened to a great audio recording from Librivox. The Green Rust kept me entertained while I weeded the garden and harvested vegetables. I enjoyed the adventures very much. I am compelled to listen to more audio books by this very prolific author. Thank you again Librivox and the iPod Shuffle for all you do to enliven my daily activities and chores.
Julie Davis
Mar 23, 2016 Julie Davis rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Edgar Wallace who at one time was one of the most popular British mystery writers. This is not one of his best although it was enjoyable enough. I'd give it 2-1/2 stars probably but it was more dated than many of his books, most notably with the strong anti-Hun bias, and that made me round it down.
Judy
Apr 12, 2011 Judy rated it liked it
Hmmm! I like this one but not as much as his others. A tale of national terrorism, written some time after WW1, but it seemed too farfetched to me. It was a free Kindle download and I really liked all the others by Wallace that I have read. This one just didn't appeal as much. I can recommend the others without restraint; I don't think I will recommend this one.

Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 18, 2014 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, 2014-reads
This classic adventure was definitely exciting... A doctor's sick scheme must be put to an end before its repercussions and reciprocations cause havoc around the world. But then there's the young detective, a young woman, a fortune, secret laboratories, poison, some gun play, hostages, and the list goes on...
Jason Hyde
Mar 04, 2010 Jason Hyde rated it liked it
Thrilling stuff, surprisingly witty, vehemently anti-German, which is odd when you consider that Wallace's most lasting popularity has been in Germany.
Fre
Fre rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014
sarah
sarah rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
mr j b cavanagh
mr j b cavanagh rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Krastyu Ugrinov
Krastyu Ugrinov rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Al Badger
Al Badger rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Allison Ririe
Allison Ririe rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Ştefan Bolea
Ştefan Bolea rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Divad
Divad rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Peppina
Peppina rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Amber
Feb 05, 2012 Amber added it
A.L. Burt, 1920
Courtney Cox
Too many words, not enough story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Return of the Assassin (Assassin, #3)
  • Claw Back (Louis Kincaid, #10.5)
  • Wages of Sin (Daman Rourke #2)
  • I Saw Three Ships
  • The Howards of Caxley (The Caxley Chronicles, #2)
  • Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish
  • The Bruce-Partington Plans
  • The Case of the Shoplifter's Shoe (Perry Mason    Mystery)
  • Babushka Baba Yaga
  • The Man in Lower Ten
  • The Circular Study (Mr. Gryce #10)
  • The Bird's Christmas Carol
  • Thursday's Child
  • Our Frugal Summer In Charente: An Expat's Kitchen Garden Journal
  • Carnival of Crime (Spencer Library)
  • The Hero
  • Wistril Compleat
  • Twelve Stories and a Dream
Richard Horatio Edgar Wallace (April 1, 1875-February 10, 1932) was a prolific British crime writer, journalist and playwright, who wrote 175 novels, 24 plays, and countless articles in newspapers and journals.

Over 160 films have been made of his novels, more than any other author.

In the 1920s, one of Wallace's publishers claimed that a quarter of all books read in England were written by him.

He i
More about Edgar Wallace...

“don't know whether there's a law that stops my doing this, Jim; but if there is, you've got to get round it. You're a lawyer and you know the game. You're my pal and the best pal I've had, Jim, and you'll do it for me." The dying man looked” 2 likes