The Memory Book: The Classic Guide to Improving Your Memory at Work, at School, and at Play

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Unleash the hidden power of your mind through Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas's simple, fail-safe memory system, and you can become more effective, more imaginative, and more powerful, at work, at school, in sports and play. Discover how easy it is to: file phone numbers, data, figures, and appointments right in your head; learn foreign words and phrases with ease; read with...more
Published August 27th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1974)

Brian
This book will teach you how to memorize and retain just about anything quickly and easily. The techniques take work to learn and practice, but once you have them down it is amazing the things you can do.

I used the methods in this book to memorize thousands of Chinese vocabulary words. I have also begun using the numbers techniques, and can remember any number that I decide to memorize. Right now I am working on the methods for retaining what I read. I'm not great at it yet, but my retention is...more
Penny
Aug 31, 2009 Penny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Jackie and Chris
Recommended to Penny by: I don't recall.
I am giving this book a very high rating because I think I read it but I can't remember but I'm guessing that it was very, very good. Books like this tend to be good (or at least good for you). I do not remember where I put it but it is here somewhere. I could not recall the name of the book but remembered the ISBN so it was easy to search on that.
I do recall that my children and husband gave it to me for some special event (birthday, Christmas, Saturday, or something.) I also know that co-autho...more
Tyler Suzuki Nelson
The Memory Book is a guide written by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas. Although it looks like a novel, the book is more like a textbook in that to really get the most out of it, one has to do the suggested activities while reading the book. The point of this book is, if not already evident, to help improve one's memory.

I don't have much to say about this book. I do like the idea behind the book, and I think the method can be quite powerful for memorizing things. However, I found most of the book t...more
Hollie
There are some people out there with great memories and excellent interpersonal skills. We've all probably met someone like this.... They seem to remember your name, your face, and little details about your life and past conversations way more than the average person. And we all LOVE being around these people. They make us feel important and valued, because it could be a year since you've seen them (and you only met them once), and they will recall specific details about your life and ask about...more
Justin
Aug 26, 2008 Justin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Justin by: Brian
This book is logical, honest, and practical.

Logical
Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas explain why memory techniques work and how they simply build on the way our minds already work.

Honest
From the very beginning readers are told memory systems take work, but they are possible and within everyone's reach. Like all good things, it takes effort.

Practical
The memory systems described in this book can be applied to remembering to-do lists, dates, names, places, events, phone numbers, etc. Who wouldn't l...more
Traneem
كتاب مررررة حبيته ..

من فضل الكتب اللي قرأتها في هالمجال ..

يساعد فعلاً في التخلص من مشاكل النسيان وتقوية الذاكرة ، يعلمك ايش اساباب النسيان وكيف تزيد تركيزك في هالناحية ..

فادني كثير في حفظ التواريخ والأرقام ..

أنصح بقراءة هالكتاب ..

Arun Mahendrakar
Turns out that when an atom of Cesium is bombarded with energy is starts vibrating / ticking and every such 9129631770 ticks counts as a second. Hence the name atomic clock. Now in order to remember that number I just go: button push meets cow cozy (actually thinking of a button with push written on it talking to a happy cow). Absolutely brilliant.

This was my first memory improvement book and I loved the techniques mentioned in here. Although extremely impressed, I know I have to keep working on...more
Amna
Feb 23, 2008 Amna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: students from all ages
there is a Simple techniques you can learn from this book that will help you to memorize alots of things
Bob
Apr 30, 2009 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bob by: No one
Because of the memory tips I learned in this book I was able to win almost $200,000 on a game show.
David Grimaud
I can't remember what it's about.
Iferdows
نتائج هذا الكتاب-بعد التطبيق- فورية..!!
Fady
I've read 10 chapters out of the 27 and skimmed through the rest of them. its one of the books containing a lot of really useful techniques to use in everyday life, however they need practice and the author did a really great job to make you practice these techniques with examples while reading the chapters.
It shows some memory techniques to a lot of aspects in life, like memorizing numbers, appointments, anniversaries, lists, people's names, stock market, politics and a lot more.
Bologna_frog
I am really impressed with the Loci method. It really seems to work, at least when I tried it while reading the book.

I wonder if alternative Loci-words work better than Lorayne's list? His seem fine, but I wonder if another list might be easier better. If I am going to learn 100 random words, why not memorize the best one's?

The book is overly long on examples of specific Linkings. Do I really need to have so many examples of how to Link or use Loci? The book even states that my OWN Links would b...more
Robyn
Ok- I bought this book when I thought I was going brain dead being at SAHM many years ago. Holy cow, if it didn't work beautifully. Amaze your friends and enemies as you challenge them to give you a random number and you answer with the corresponding president. Know all of the constitutional amendments and important historical dates. Helps you memorize anything with a simple technique that makes numbers correspond to letters. Lists, dates, names, etc. Can all be committed to memory. Alas, you mu...more
Smochy
can't finish; too redundant. I prefer O'briens quantum memory power
Cristian
This book has plenty of techniques that you can use to improve your memory for a lots of different types of facts like lists, numbers, names etc. The only minus is that it does not provide scientific evidence to support the techniques. However, this is a how-to book, not an explanation book. In case you would like some theory, I could recommend "Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It"
Ghada  Abd Elsalam
اخيرا خلص!!
انا الكتاب ده قريته بناء ع نصيحه صديقه ليا بيه لاني الفتره الاخيره بنسي كتير
رغم اني مبحبش كتب التنميه البشريه ومش معترفه بيها اصلا انها تتعمل في كتب بس قريت الكتاب ده ع المدي الطويل
بقالي شهرين بقراه باين :D
عموما بغض النظر عن عدم حبي لكتب التنميه البشريه ورأيي فيها الا ان الكتاب فادني في تقويه ذاكرتي واني اتجنب الاسباب اللي بتخليني انسي كتير كده
كفايه عليه اوي 3 نجوم :D
Ignacio Ahumada
Dec 29, 2013 Ignacio Ahumada rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who wants to practice his memory
Easy to read. Half of the book gives you tips about the linking system and association to use it on everyday life. Anyway its content is what almost every book about memory includes, not surprisingly even greeks used these technics thousands of years ago.
Bjoern Rochel
If I would judge the book only on the first half of it, I would give it 5 stars. Learning and playing around with the link, substitute word and then peg system was really fun. The rest of the book is a different story. It only reiterates on those systems again and again and applies them to different problems. Way too repetitive for me
Bryan Murdock
About the same time I read Moonwalking with Einstein, I found this book at the library and read it too. This is a much more practical guide on how to memorize things. Concise, instructive, useful, and who knew that an NBA basketball star from the '50s and '60s had these memory skills? Not me.
Jeff
This was excellent. I memorized the first 50 digits of pi with little effort in the first night I dove into this book. Extended and practical use seems like it will take diligence, but the fun of the number-based phonetic alphabet and word-associations is enough to sustain interest, methinks.
Jim Davis
I had a friend look at my credit card once and two weeks later he recited it back to me. He also recited my social security number back to me a month after I told him. His secret was this book. I got through two chapters and I learned some AMAZING and effective techniques to memorize anything.
Mike
I feel like I just read a spellbook.

This book will teach you how to remember anything. Reading it however won't help you remember anything, the book teaches systems that have to be practised in order to work. You will get as much from this book as you put into doing what it teaches.
Christopher
People learn by association, this book capitolizes on that fact and teaches you some gimmicky tips and tricks that are worth trying out. The best part about this particular edition is the swanky doos that Harry Lorrayne and Jerry Lucas are sporting on the cover.
Mexicoguy
First read this when i was 17 years old and used it to win bets from my freinds on silly stuff. The order of billard balls knocked into what pocket and what order, first twenty cards in a deck of playing cards. Used to ace tests. Systems work and improve with practice.
Xavier Shay
This is a really practical guide to many different memory techniques (names, faces, numbers, lists, etc) which *heaps* of examples. It's not a book you read cover to cover (I haven't read all the chapters), I just pick up whenever I'm trying a new technique.
John
Of the four memory technique books I've read, three are about the same (and all good). This is one of the three. If you're looking for something with more theory, explanation, and results of scientific studies, try Higbee's Your Memory.
Davinici
The book that got me started in memory learning. A simple how to guide without a lot of frill. Some of the things like the major system may seem a little absurd at first, but I highly encourage people to put in the work and try it out.
Chandler Wolph
The Memory Book offers great exercises to help build memory (obviously). The premise of this book builds upon ancient techniques that were used before pen and paper were common. A truly relevant and interesting read.
Levi
seems like a really great book. i read the first couple chapters and their technique for remember a list of unrelated items works really well. but i got tired to trying to train my memory, so i quit reading it.
اتتتتتتتت 1 6 Mar 31, 2011 11:10AM
  • Your Memory: How It Works and How to Improve It
  • Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks
  • Breakthrough Rapid Reading
  • You Can Have an Amazing Memory: Learn Life-Changing Techniques and Tips from the Memory Maestro
  • Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain
  • The Art of Memory
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • Mind Hacks: Tips & Tricks for Using Your Brain
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People By Public Speaking
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • The Ultra Mind Solution: Automatically Boost Your Brain Power, Improve Your Mood and Optimize Your Memory
  • The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life - Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process
  • Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
Harry Lorayne is an American magician and a memory-training specialist and writer who was called "The Yoda of Memory Training" by Time magazine. He is well known for his mnemonic demonstrations and has appeared on numerous television shows including The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. His book The Memory Book was a New York Times bestseller. His card magic, especially his innovations in card...more
More about Harry Lorayne...
How to Develop Superpower Memory Super Memory - Super Student: How to Raise Your Grades in 30 Days Page-a-Minute Memory Book Ageless Memory Secrets of Mind Power: How to Organize and Develop the Hidden Powers of Your Mind