Start by marking “Slipt” as Want to Read:
Slipt

Slipt

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Living next to a toxic chemical dump is Jake Pickett, the magic man. He can turn bullets to dust or collapse skyscrapers with his mind. But all he really wants to do with his "magic" is entertain the local kids. Then one day, the giant chemical company decides to eliminate the people who have been affected by their mess--people like Jay.
Published April 1st 1984 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Slipt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slipt

Saleena Davidson
Re-read an old fav that I was thinking about, so decided to re-visit....it's called Slipt by Alan Dean Foster, it's about an old man with a form of telekinesis as a result of having grown up next to a toxic waste dump (and his parents as well). One of the execs finds out he is "unusual" and starts a chain of events that force the poor old guy (70 years old and with a heart condition) to start running or face "medical tests". In the process of running, he starts using his powers in ways he never...more
Andrew
Nov 26, 2007 Andrew rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to read science fiction but have nothing to read
This is the first book by Alan Dean Foster I've ever read, and I must say that the writing was great, it was the generic, predictable plot that I hated. This feels like a USA Original movie, or something you'd see on the sci-fi channel.
Brian Moreau
Lots of fun but not up to Mr. Foster's usual standard. I can almost see this being a "made for TV" movie from the late 70's-early 80's, could see Bill Bixby as the main villain.
Alanis Garcia

A somewhat depressing story.
A man and his niece share a bond that brings them closer than father and daughter.
This bond also gives the man the ability to use telekinesis, yeah, it's weird but go with it.
The company that was responsible for accidentally bestowing these powers, pollution hurray, finds out about the old man's gifts and wants to harvest them and find out if they can duplicate the process.
I am not always a big fan of Alan Dean Foster's writing style. I can not put my finger on it but...more
Alanis
A somewhat depressing story.
Ross
Nov 29, 2010 Ross rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only Alan Dean Foster completists
Published in 1986, this novel by Alan Dean Foster reads like a knockoff inspired by Stephen King's 1981 novel Firestarter. Not to say that the novel itself is bad - it just falls sort of flat when you compare it to other novels in the same sort of psi-power sub-genre. The characters are very two-dimensional and some of their behavior and response to the situations they're forced into is just silly. Although it's a quick read, after about 100 pages I was just pushing through the book hoping to ge...more
CD
Another morality tale from ADF. Not as satisfying as whole story as some of his best. However, far superior to many of his movie books written after the fact or as 'feature length' treatments.

What happens when the crackdown and cleanup finally gets done. Topical for the eve of June 2010 with the Gulf of Mexico filling up with crude oil.
Dave
I thought this was a pretty good book. Very similar to many of Foster's other books. The story was very engaging and kept me interested throughout the book. It was a little graphic in it's descriptions of some of the violence at the end of the book, but nothing too bad. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a nice quick read.
Vicky
An interesting idea, but the ending leaves a bit to be desired. I can't help but wonder what the fallout will be from the way the book ended. It was kind of messy and there were several large loose ends.
Icarus
One of Alan Dean Foster's most successful efforts. As far as I know, this is an original story, and yet it doesn't seem silly like a lot of his original stories do.
Surprisingly good book by Foster about psychic powers, and the negative reactions of those who don't like differences. Short and sweet, and definitely worth a look.
James Monge
Find this to be a great novel for middle school children. ADF has such a creative way of capturing your attention and it is quite and easy read
AL Guevara
Not a full review, just a thought.

The power that Jake possessed was a most original one. I only wish we could have "seen" more of it.
Tony
I think I would've liked this a lot more when I was younger and noticed plot holes a lot less...
Paul
Excellent Story. Sonewhat disturbing with the violence...
Michael
great book, would make an awesome movie!

Jack
Jack added it
Sep 26, 2014
Jorge
Jorge added it
Sep 10, 2014
Jennifer Coburn
Jennifer Coburn marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Lifehouse (Lifehouse, #3)
  • Destiny's Road
  • Waiting for the Galactic Bus (Snake Oil, #1)
  • The 97th Step (Matador, #5)
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Oracle (Penelope Bailey, #2)
  • Never Trust an Elf (Shadowrun, #6)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Vigilant (Expendables, #2)
  • The River of Time
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • The Probability Broach (North American Confederacy #1)
  • Macroscope
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • Ancient Light
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing,...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)