Into The Out Of

Into The Out Of

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Earth is being invaded by the shetani. The potential savior is an
African elder named Olkeloki who is capable of fighting evil in this
world and the spirit one. But to be successful he needs the help of
government agent Joshua Oak and a feisty woman named Merry Sharrow. Only
these three can keep the shetani from destroying reality.
Published (first published January 1st 1986)

Sherry Bee
Julie Davis
I think I'd probably have liked this better if I'd have read it when it was first published. I'm a real sucker for stories about the old mythology/gods of a culture breaking through into our reality or the ancient gods having to get along in our modern culture. It is the same thing that appealed to me when I was a kid and loved Greek and Roman mythology. Not only do I get a thumping good adventure story but usually I get to learn about other belief systems and cultures.

This story of trying to s...more
Scott Rhee
"Into the Out of" was Alan Dean Foster's rare foray into Stephen King/Dean Koontz-ish horror, and it wasn't bad. Pretty creepy, if I recall, having to do with a race of monsters that exist in a parallel dimension that have somehow found a crack between their world and ours.
David Terry
I have now read and reread this book more than three times; I love the characterisation and the descriptions of Africa; and all of my other book club members loved it also.

I just wish there was a sequel.:-)
CD
My favorite from ADF. When I first read this I was in one of my Africa phases (currently in another but am reading an entirely different genre this time) and this little jewel caught my attention.

ADF was an author that I'd read before and liked his work (not so blatantly pandering to the Hollywood crowd at that point) and this was supposed to be the novel to read on a business trip. Surprise! Into the Out of became a favorite.

Highly recommended for fantasy/alternative reality fans who like their...more
Al

Earth is being invaded by the shetani—spirit creatures so small and stealthy that only one man knows about the increasing peril. The potential savior is an African elder named Olkeloki who is capable of fighting evil both in this world and the spirit one. But to be successful he must recruit the help of two others: government agent Joshua Oak and a feisty young woman named Merry Sharrow. Only the three of them can keep the shetani from destroying reality as we know it.

Julie Adams
I reread this book that I originally enjoyed soon after it was released. Some of the scenes today are dated (Flights on the Concorde, demonstrations on the Ayatollah Khomeini, mentions of the Soviet Premier), but the story holds up pretty well. A couple of the characters and scenes were so memorable that they stuck with me all this time.
Chuck Messinger
This goes on the tops of my recommendation list for anyone that really digs a good creepy supernatural book. Stuff hides in shadows...stuff that is far creepier than you could imagine. I have an old paperback copy of this book and have read it probably 10 times since it was released.
Amanda
One of the best books that I have ever read. It is above and beyond one of my faves. So real in a completely unreal world. Make's you never want to kick a tire on the side of the road!
Pete Bartel
Excellent book with fascinating insights into Maasai tribesmen. Would make a superb movie. Unfortunately based on spiritist beliefs of origins of life.
Drew
In love book that take place where I have lived. This book has lots of suspense and adventure. I was on the edge of my seat.
Kevin
I feel a deep paradox will happen with this book just by reading the title. Either way, it should be better than Gene Wolfe.
Phil
I had read this many years ago and was pleased to read it once more. I enjoyed it the first time and this time.
Keith
Very long and sometimes boring.
Trish Dingle
Still my favourite ever.
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Karyl
Karyl marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Lacko Rauch
Lacko Rauch marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Jack Moffett
Jack Moffett marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • The Trouble Twisters
  • Where the Evil Dwells
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • The Ultimate Egoist (Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon #1)
  • Involution Ocean
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • The Changing Land
  • Demons of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #2)
  • The Magic Goes Away
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • Stargate SG-1: The Price You Pay (Stargate SG-1, #2)
  • Clark's Law
  • The Serrano Connection
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers
  • Tyrannosaurus Sue: The Extraordinary Saga of the Largest, Most Fought Over T-Rex Ever Found
  • The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing,...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)