Start by marking “The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung” as Want to Read:
The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung

The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In exploring the manifestations of human spiritual experience both in the imaginative activities of the individual and in the formation of mythologies and of religious symbolism in various cultures, C. G. Jung laid the groundwork for a psychology of the spirit. The excerpts here illuminate the concept of the unconscious, the central pillar of his work, and display ample ev ...more
Published October 26th 1993 by Modern Library (first published May 6th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung

Leslie Erin Quinn
Really, really good if you are into this type of thing. I had not read much of Jung since my basic psych courses in college but wanted something that covered his whole theory and not just shorter books that delved into portions of it. Was pleasantly surprised by the scope of it and would recommend it for anybody who wants to know more about his theories other than the dream stuff.
Larry
It has been said that has Freud was to the 20th Century, Jung will be to the 21st. He work is very enlightening. His purpose is to help us understand ourselves and come to wholeness, which he calls the process of individuation. I feel his work correlates nicely with the Gospel. I recommend reading other books my him, these writings can be a bit complex.
Suzanne
This book was life changing for me. I discovered and learned as if from a live mentor to embrace and respect the unconscious part of myself without judgement. I was able to understand the process of Jung's amazing life journey from his own words. Truly inspirational.
Steve
Seeing "A Dangerous Method" and then reading "Anatomy of Addiction" brought me to this, just because I'm curious and have a desire to revisit Jung. Last time I read anything by him was 25 years ago. Enjoyed this re-introduction.
Guy
An excellent overview of Jung's ideas. Sophisticated but not too much so for readers looking at a good introduction to Jung, but with enough meat for the more knowledgeable Jung reader.
Dianna
This book is a wonderful way to get to know the man and become acquainted with the ideas and theories that made him famous and well loved.
Fiddler
A wonderfully written and edited introduction to the works of Carl Jung. It is one the best out there, in my estimation.
Ameena Higgins
amazing, life-changing concepts for me. really saved me after reading studies in hysteria...jung is a genius
Jason Yeager
What can I say about Jung? He is a great mind to explore and one who took his own path for certain.
Catherine Woodman
I really prefer Freud, tho' this is a kinder gentler view of mankind
John
Aug 06, 2010 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This will go back and forth from to read to reading for a long time.
Charles Bell
Apr 04, 2010 Charles Bell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want to leave comfort zone
Not for everyone and sometimes strange but insightful.
Sean
Mar 27, 2013 Sean added it
I read it when I was 16, so I can't say very much about it.
Aviendha47
Jan 02, 2009 Aviendha47 is currently reading it
Peculiarities abound.
Jennie
learned too much
Levi
Levi marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Robert Cuzzo
Robert Cuzzo marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Samara
Samara marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Sukti
Sukti marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Charlotte Tyner
Charlotte Tyner marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Pratum
Pratum added it
Mar 21, 2015
Lynette James
Lynette James marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Rachael Doyon
Rachael Doyon marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Forever Winter
Forever Winter marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • The Art of Deception: An Introduction to Critical Thinking
  • Becoming Your Own Therapist
  • Everything's an Argument
  • Meditations of John Muir
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • A Primer of Freudian Psychology
  • The Way To Freedom
  • Selected Writings
  • The Cry for Myth
  • Early Writings
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, ...more
More about C.G. Jung...
Memories, Dreams, Reflections Man and His Symbols The Undiscovered Self Modern Man in Search of a Soul The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)