Start by marking “The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung” as Want to Read:
The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung

The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In exploring the manifestations of human spiritual experience both in the imaginative activities of the individual and in the formation of mythologies and of religious symbolism in various cultures, C. G. Jung laid the groundwork for a psychology of the spirit. The excerpts here illuminate the concept of the unconscious, the central pillar of his work, and display ample ev ...more
Published October 26th 1993 by Modern Library (first published May 6th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung

Suzanne
Apr 03, 2009 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This book was life changing for me. I discovered and learned as if from a live mentor to embrace and respect the unconscious part of myself without judgement. I was able to understand the process of Jung's amazing life journey from his own words. Truly inspirational.
Dianna
Mar 10, 2013 Dianna rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful way to get to know the man and become acquainted with the ideas and theories that made him famous and well loved.
Edward
Jan 26, 2016 Edward rated it it was amazing
Jung is often remembered for his work involving the terms extravert (not extrovert) and introvert, albeit in a highly diluted way. I knew the original intent behind these ideas was different from what is considered common knowledge today, but to understand how different you must read his own words.

What I found far more arresting however, was his research into the collective unconscious, a concept that later had a huge influence on Frank Herbert (Jung's work as a whole had a major impact on the
Leslie Erin Quinn
May 30, 2008 Leslie Erin Quinn rated it really liked it
Really, really good if you are into this type of thing. I had not read much of Jung since my basic psych courses in college but wanted something that covered his whole theory and not just shorter books that delved into portions of it. Was pleasantly surprised by the scope of it and would recommend it for anybody who wants to know more about his theories other than the dream stuff.
Larry
Oct 08, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it
It has been said that has Freud was to the 20th Century, Jung will be to the 21st. He work is very enlightening. His purpose is to help us understand ourselves and come to wholeness, which he calls the process of individuation. I feel his work correlates nicely with the Gospel. I recommend reading other books my him, these writings can be a bit complex.
Steve
Jul 13, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Seeing "A Dangerous Method" and then reading "Anatomy of Addiction" brought me to this, just because I'm curious and have a desire to revisit Jung. Last time I read anything by him was 25 years ago. Enjoyed this re-introduction.
Guy
Nov 06, 2009 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent overview of Jung's ideas. Sophisticated but not too much so for readers looking at a good introduction to Jung, but with enough meat for the more knowledgeable Jung reader.
Fiddler
Mar 01, 2010 Fiddler rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written and edited introduction to the works of Carl Jung. It is one the best out there, in my estimation.
Ameena Higgins
amazing, life-changing concepts for me. really saved me after reading studies in hysteria...jung is a genius
Jason Yeager
Nov 30, 2010 Jason Yeager rated it it was amazing
What can I say about Jung? He is a great mind to explore and one who took his own path for certain.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it it was ok
I really prefer Freud, tho' this is a kinder gentler view of mankind
John
Aug 06, 2010 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This will go back and forth from to read to reading for a long time.
Charles Bell
Apr 04, 2010 Charles Bell rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who want to leave comfort zone
Not for everyone and sometimes strange but insightful.
Sean
Mar 27, 2013 Sean added it
I read it when I was 16, so I can't say very much about it.
Aviendha47
Jan 02, 2009 Aviendha47 is currently reading it
Peculiarities abound.
Jennie
Jun 18, 2009 Jennie rated it really liked it
learned too much
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Malak
Malak is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Candice Daquin
Candice Daquin rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Peter Alanion
Peter Alanion marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kacy
Kacy added it
Aug 20, 2016
Joy Lee
Joy Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Hossein Seraji Jahromi
Hossein Seraji Jahromi marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Marilyn Rhodes
Marilyn Rhodes rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Beau Laviolette
Beau Laviolette marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Jessie Bartholomew
Jessie Bartholomew marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud
  • Elements of Argument: A Text and Reader
  • Nature and Other Essays
  • The Essence of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Triumph of the Therapeutic: Uses of Faith after Freud
  • Humanism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • The Portable Voltaire
  • Meditations of John Muir
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, l ...more
More about C.G. Jung...