Curran, Vol. I  (Curran POV, #1)

Curran, Vol. I (Curran POV #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  11,388 ratings  ·  385 reviews
Not short story, novella, or standalone, but collection of scenes written by Gordon Andrews as a companion to our Kate Daniels series of books. These scenes illustrate the point of view of Curran, the Beast Lord of Atlanta and are provided in gratitude to our readers for all of their support.
Published July 21st 2010 by Ilona Andrews

To ask other readers questions about Curran, Vol. I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curran, Vol. I

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene FrostFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
Best Funny Paranormal Romances
115th out of 496 books — 948 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
What We've Read So Far In 2011
202nd out of 5,472 books — 1,448 voters

More lists with this book...

Lora
Curran's POV Vol 1 is a free, online collection of four short scenes from Curran's POV set in the Kate Daniels series. There is one scene for each of the first four books in the series.

The first scene is when Curran and Kate first meet. It was definitely interesting to read his initial thoughts about Kate. And if you thought the "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty" thing was funny in Magic Bites, just wait until you read Curran's reaction to it. That had me rolling.

The second is when Kate is injured and...more
Sans
I'm officially on the "I Heart Curran" bandwagon. My only problem with this little batch of scenes is that it was completely unedited. Or even proof-read. There were a bunch of spelling mistakes and some grammatical errors. But! My love remains undiminished.
valee
3.5 STARS

While I enjoyed reading things from Curran's POV, I don't thing it changed anything. We could see how he felt in all the books clearly even though things were from Kate's POV. The author had a way of letting us know how Curran felt. So I felt I didn't really need this book. But it was nice at the same time. I enjoyed it because it was short, but it felt like reading the same things over again.

I love Curran but this book helped me realize that it is because of Kate that I love this serie...more
♥Rachel♥
Whether or not she knew it, Kate was mine now and I would save her or die trying.

I loved reading scenes from Curran's POV! Just wish there were more. I think the scene with Curran feeding Kate the chicken soup, and the weighty implications behind that act was my favorite.
Marissa
Loved these of course, but my greedy mind wants an entire book in Currans POV!
Liz*

That's right. I READ ALL THE STORIES!

I love all things Curran and his POV was perfect. Exactly how I had imagined him.
Bonnie
A tiny yet enjoyable little tidbit. I liked it but considering that it didn't exactly add anything to the original story, just told it from a different point of view, I didn't rate it as highly. Still recommended for any Kate Daniels fans. :)
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Although I love, love, love Curran, I don't think I liked being inside his head. It was funny and pretty awesome seeing his POV for some of my favorite scenes in Kate's books. I guess I got used to Kate's thoughts and not so much Curran and his very short thoughts.

Curran makes me smile every time he appears in a scene! I loved hearing his reasoning for the soup. You know, I was wondering why he held the bowl and looked at it for a while! That part made me smile all over again.

One of my favorite...more
Claire
When I first saw this, I was excited to get a glimpse of what Curran was thinking during key moments with Kate. I know this wasn't written by Ilona, so I didn't expect her writing style. I also knew they would more like snippets of a plot instead of the full story. However, I did expect good writing, and unfortunately, this didn't deliver. I get that it's a free story, but would it be too much to expect that it would be proof read? There were typographical errors galore. In addition, and this ma...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
This isn't really a short story, it is a POV from Curran for each book tha tis currently out (Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes, & Magic Bleeds) my fave was Magic Strikes where he is trying to talk his way out of the cage and also Magic Bites when he first sees Kate. I loved seeing those scenes from his POV!
Maya  ~the Pessimistic Happy Cat~
“She crouched with her hand out. What the hell was she doing…
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty."
Oh my God, she was retarded and I was going to kill Jim.”
Kathleen
I want to say 3 stars, but I just don't see it. Curran goes with the Kate Daniel's series, written primarily by Ilona Andrews. Her husband Gordon wrote this. I first read the series through book 5, then I bought this little piece, to avoid spoiling the stories. However, it is fine to read it after book 4, since it has a scene, told from Curran's POV, from events that took place in books 1-4 (or skip it -- it adds nothing to the series, plot wise).

About 33 pages in length, and self-published, i...more
Bry
I love reading other perspectives for my favorite books (I mean I have read several books about Pride and Prejudice written from Darcy's perspective!)

This has little snippets from Curran's POV from Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes, and Magic Bleeds. Each reveals just a bit more about Curran's reasoning, and fills in some of those holes that occur the first person character isn't present for a time period.

Seriously, if you love the Kate Daniels series AT ALL you need to read this. Besides...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
started Jan 6th.

This is a collection of Curran's POV for Kate Daniels book. I would recommend reading the book first and then Curran's POV for a particular scene.

I'm sooo glad that I got to read the Kate Daniels series with Curran's POV. He is sooo funny and it just added so much more to the story. It's really made me realize that I enjoy reading the other side of things.

I would definitely recommend reading this.
Leyoh
Curran comes in a very close second to my fiance in my 'favourite men ever' list. I'll be honest, some days he is first. Anything Curran related gets a 5 star from me.
Stacey
Curran's POV was absolutely fantastic!!! And being able to read his POV after finishing books 1-4 was all the better. Such a great, great character. :)
FlibBityFLooB
Bah! If only I could have more Curran point-of-view stories, the world would be a better place ;)
Sho
If you are a fan of the Kate Daniel series this is a must. If you haven't read any of them, go read now! and come back to this book. I have been reading Curran's POV on the authors' web site, but to see them all compiled in one book was wonderful.

This book gives an exellent look behind what goes on in Curran's mind when Kate does one of those crazy things. I loved them. It is not absolutely necessary to read them to understand Curran, but it's a good clean fun.

Acutally, you know I seriously won...more
Quinn
I really enjoyed reading Curran's POV. Loved these lines from when they first met in Unicorn Lane:

The scared hovered at the edge, the stupid died not far from it. I was here to meet someone, and if she made it far enough to find me, I would know she was neither.

So not a mouse after all, but something more. This could be interesting. I'd let her dance in the dirt a bit more. She was find to watch.
She crouched with her hand out. What the hell was she doing...
Oh my God,
Melissa Hayden
Oh it's wonderful reading Curran's view. He's such a perfect match for Kate it's unreal. I love Curran's banter with Kate. He has me constant smiling while reading them again, and from Curran's POV, just as brilliant.

This is definitely a collection to read AFTER the books. It's wonderful to go back and read these and remember. Actually, it makes me want to go back and re-read the series as I loved it that much.

Each book has a Curran view here:
Magic Bites:
When Curran first meets Kate in Unicorn L...more
Karissa
If you love the Kate Daniels series I recommend downloading and reading this novella of short stories which are written from Curran's point of view. You can also get this on smashwords or off of the Andrews' website for free. I downloaded it from smashwords a couple months ago.

The stories are pulled from all different books in this series. Most of them feature scenes between Kate and Curran, but are done from Curran's point of view. There are a couple that cover times when Kate wasn't there (on...more
I LOVE Curran so I was excited to get inside his head and see some of the pivotal scenes from the series from his POV. This free ebook contains scenes from each of the first four books in the series (Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes & Magic Bleeds) and I would recommend reading each one after the book in question.

I always wanted to know what went through Curran's head when he first met Kate (remember the "Here kitty, kitty, kitty" line?) and it was just as funny as I thought it would...more
Mariya
so, this is parts in the series wit curran's POV and its a really quick read leaving you to want more and more. i have to say that iam so very thankful to get inside of curran's head to see what he is thinking and i hope we get more of these in the future. we get them from magic bites, magic burns, magic strikes, and magic bleeds. just reading this made me want so much more of curran. I thought he was so funny and what he was thinking too. i love when authors do this for us, b/c at some scenes i...more
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Nice to see Curran's POV. There are even more scenes on Ilona Andrew's website. Great series. Great author. Great free extras!

Edit: This is not a book, or even a novella. It is simply a collection of scenes from a different character's point of view, and was given to fans of the series, for free, on the author's website. Beware of people who are reviewing it poorly as if it's a fully formed novel, despite the introduction in the ebook by the authors explaining exactly what it is.

Harrumph. Y'all...more
♥ Sarah ♥

I really like Curran's POV. He's funny in the regular Kate Daniels books, but he's even more amusing in his thoughts too. I also just loved hearing from him. I love it when an author gives us that for an urban fantasy where we don't normally hear from the guy.

The only thing about these is that I wish that some of the scenes chosen were different. For instance in the Magic Strikes one, I really wanted to hear the hot tub scene from Curran's POV. But that's okay.

Overall this was good. Cur...more
Kat
Basic plot: this was a series of short snippets that show Curran's point of view of some of the events from the Kate Daniels books.

This was a very short selection-only about 24 pages of material- and it does NOT stand on its own. If you haven't read the Kate Daniels books, these won't make sense to you. That said, being as the Kate Daniels books are written in first-person perspective, from Kate's POV, getting a glimpse into the mind of the Beast Lord is interesting and a temporary fix for those...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
I love the Kate Daniels series and I am a frequent lurker on the Ilona Andrews web site, so I have read the Curran POVs many times. I love having them in one place where I can read them again whenever or wherever I want. They are short scenes, not full stories, just like the description says.

Great for fans who love the POVs (and have been bugging the authors for more and more).

Here's hoping there will be more volumes...
Marianne
★★★+/★★★★ In no way essential to the story, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Particularly the scene where Curran fed Kate chicken soup while he pondered his feelings for her, weighed the implications, decided he wanted his little "idiot mouse", and then went for the kill, so to speak ;-)

Although, the scene where Curran decided Kate was his, whether she accepted it or not, was pretty good too.

Come to think of it: It was all good;-)
Leigh
What a fabulous addition to the Kate Daniels' books!! I love UF and I enjoy the first person POV, but there is something to be said for missing out on others' thoughts, and Andrews did a wonderful job of giving readers a glimpse into Curran's thoughts and actions, and I loved it!! Only problem - I wish it was longer!! LOL! Highly recommend, and look forward to more of Curran in the future!!
Vasya
Interesting. I am beginning to understand Curran more and putting that asshole-ish behavior in his perspective. Really interesting (although I do believe that this could have come more in handy when I was actually reading the scenes in question, but when I go back to re-read the books I will definitely have this one nearby. It opens the whole perspective of their romance a bit more).
How to read Curran POVs? 5 64 Aug 14, 2012 04:17AM
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)
Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2) Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4) Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3) Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5) Curran; On the Day of the Panty Dinner: Part 1 (Curran POV, #6)

“She crouched with her hand out. What the hell was she doing…
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty."
Oh my God, she was retarded and I was going to kill Jim.”
335 likes
“But she was funny sometimes, and never boring. God, it would almost be worth it to see her face when she realized that I had saved her ass again.
Actually it was quite a nice ass, come to think of it. In fact, my memory of the ass and its owner seemed to be remarkably clear.”
62 likes