Start by marking “The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)

The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  23,374 Ratings  ·  889 Reviews
In this sexy new installment of Showalter's bestselling Lords of the Underworld series, the haunted Amun meets a woman who tempts him like no other...

Keeper of the demon of Secrets, Amun can manipulate the darkest thoughts of anyone nearby. But when the immortal warrior is chained and isolated to protect those he loves, death is his only hope of release—until he meets Haid
Published March 29th 2011 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Secret

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R

For those of you who didn't wanna finish this series because you weren't happy with the choices Showalter made.Then I'm gonna tell you now. Stop being a Ding-Dong, pick up the dang book and read it! I assure it's well worth reading and you will LOVE IT!

As we all know from the previous book "Darkest Lie" William and Aeron,took Amun into hell to rescue Legion.So this book continues on from there. When Amun-Keeper of the demon of secrets helps in this mission
4 stars – Paranormal Romance

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, especially considering that I was somewhat disappointed with the last book, The Darkest Lie, and since Amun has always been a rather quiet (pun intended), serious, and less charismatic Lord. But color me pleasantly surprised by my enjoyment with this one.

Amun and Haidee have magnetic chemistry and explosive sexual tension, and their mutual longing and desperate need to belong was palpable, touching, and sad. The roma
Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 07, 2011 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing

Spoiler-free review

I loved the latest installment of Gena Showalter's LotU, but I can honestly say I wasn't thrilled to start it. I'm a Haidee-hater. And you know, it's not because she killed Baden (although that didn't exactly put her on my Christmas card list), it's because I didn't like her, her personality. But once we cut through all the hard exterior and see her gooey center, I liked her. I really liked her.

Amun is one of the ones who you know will surprise you-it's always the qui
Laurie Garrison
Gena Showalter delivers a deep depth into emotions with The Darkest Secret; LOTU fans will not be disappointed. You may even find yourself hanging onto your book so tight that you’ll leave prints. I fell hard for both Amun and Haidee. Both enemy’s and yet they need each other in a way that is so deep that will leave your mouth hanging open saying I can’t believe Gena pulled this off and yet she didn’t drag the story out or leave you feeling that they were trusted together to fast and hard. Total ...more
Apr 26, 2011 Isalys rated it it was amazing
Amun, Keeper of Secrets, is suffering as a result of his sojourn to Hell with Aeron and William. He is being battered, day in and day out, by the voices of evil that have taken residence in his head. They are beyond his control and are threatening not only his life & sanity, but of those around him. He is a prisoner in his own home; chained to his bed for fear of the damage he will do to others. Is death the only way to save him?

As Keeper of Secrets, he still knows enough that he cannot verb
Nov 16, 2015 Hbeebti rated it it was amazing
I knew that Amun's book would be great. I was not disappointed! It was fabulous! The setup for Strider's book was great. Cant wait to read his later in the year.
~E~ Riverina Romantics
4.5 Stars

Amun, Amun, Amun!! You sweet sexy demon, you.

I don't think there has been a hero in this series that I wouldn't offer to have babies with, Amun being among them. He was the typical sexy, masculine, sex god (even though he's a demon) that I have come to expect from Gena Showalter.

I wasn't originally a fan of Haidee, I don't think may people were for the obvious fact that she had killed one of the previous demons - but I never doubted Gena's ability to make the story as outstanding as th
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
Another enjoyable addition to the Lords of the Underworld series. I was rather surprised at how much I grew to like Amun and Haidee. They were really sweet together and what a journey they had getting there. {I want an angel backpack!} I thought that Haidee's story was really interesting and I liked the whole play on fire and ice. There definitely were some smexy times and IMO it really reminded me of the times with Payne and Manny in Lover Unleashed !

The only problem I had was that same ol' p
Jun 12, 2011 valee rated it it was amazing
I LOVED it! I just had an amazing time reading this one. I would have added it to my favs shelf if it hadn't been for the ending, you know? one of those rushed finished-in-the-last-20-pages kind of ending. If it had been a bit longer and the solution for all the problems hadn't appear from out of nowhere, I would have enjoyed it even more. It's sad because the book had the potential to be one of the best books in the series.

What I liked the most was the connection the hero and the heroine establ
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD – Every review of this book that I have read has focused on how people wasn’t sure how they would perceive, Haidee’s character – I on the other hand was more concerned about my lack of fondness for a mute Amun.

I can’t tell you when I read the last book in this series, but I was happy when it all came flooding back to me when we kicked off right were good ol’ Gideon had left us. Amun is fresh out of hell and is
I was originally completely against Amun and Haidee being together. I thought that Gena Showalter was going to pair up Amun and Kaia and then Strider and Haidee. It seemed like Stridey-man and Haidee had chemistry in The Darkest Lie, and it seemed that Amun had a thing for Kaia. Well, I've never been so glad to be proven wrong. When I found out the pairings, I was...well, let's just say upset. I have since realized that I just have to let Gena do her thing because, hey, she actually knows what s ...more
4.5 Stars

I wasn’t sure what to think going into this book. I haven’t enjoyed the last couple books in the series quite as much as I had wanted to. They were good, but the secondary storylines took up way too much space and made me feel like the main relationship was getting shortchanged. I was thrilled to see that the main storyline got way more focus in this book!

I’ve heard some buzz going around recently about people being irritated that Haidee hooked up with Amun when Strider was interested i
Aly is so frigging bored
Mar 31, 2011 Aly is so frigging bored rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
I love Amun's story! He was such a silent character in the other that I didn't think I'll like him... God was I wrong! He was an absolute sweetheart and the glimpses of Strider(such an egotistical asshole ROTFL) and William(he is just WOW, I hope Gena writes his book soon) in the book made it more then funny.

I wanted to hate Haidee since she killed Baden but after all she went through, the life(s) she had, her spunk and how hard and fast she's fallen for Amun I am ready to make her one of my fav
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Apr 22, 2011 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Angela
4.5 STARS!!!

A few of you may know that I was less than thrilled to read this book. When I heard about the pairings for this book and Strider’s , I may have gone on a rampage, expressing my displeasure and annoyance. I really hoped for Amun and Kaia to be together and that Strider and Haidee would get a book because of their amazing chemistry in The Darkest Lie. But instead, we got Haidee and Amun and this irked me a bit. This WAS my opinion, so please don’t ride me too hard because I really cou
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 Stars

I will start by admitting I was not at all interested in reading this book. I went into it thinking "Ok, get through Amun so we're ready for Strider". I did not have issues with the fact that Haidee had killed Baden, I knew there had to be a reason for it. I also didn't have issues with the fact that in a previous book we saw a bit of chemistry between Haidee and Strider. I just didn't really care much one way or another. That sounds bad, huh? I just never though much about Amun, he nev
Apr 08, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Review, including quotes, posted at

The Darkest Secret is book seven in Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series. This series revolves around a group of immortal warriors who have been punished for opening Pandora’s Box by having to each house a demon inside him or herself. We’re talking big, sexy, yummy immortal warriors. Warriors that have learned to (somewhat) control their demons and are now really awesome ‘people’ who are fiercely loyal to one
Heather C
After 50 days of this being on my currently reading shelf, I finally finished!

I wanted to quit reading this book so many times, but I really wanted to get past it so I could readThe Darkest Surrender and The Darkest Seduction. Strider and Paris's books better be worth all I suffered getting through this book. In the beginning, this was one of my favorite PNR series but it has truly desolved into crap.

I have a TON of notes I took over the nearly 2 months it took me to read this, but I have decide
Apr 13, 2011 SATIN SUE rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2011 Ana rated it it was amazing
This is officialy my favourite Lord of the Underwold book.

I looove Amun & Haidee.

Amun, the keeper of Secrets is on a fast track to madness after the events at the end of The Darkest Lie. His salvation comes from an unlikely source, Heidee, a Hunter who hates LotU passionately. He is so incredibly sweet & generous & selfless (I know, I know he's a big bad demon). Even when he had every reason to hate Heidee (view spoiler), he s
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Before I started this book, I had some serious concerns about how Gena Showalter would pull this one off. I mean, the hero of the story essentially can't speak. And the leading lady is an old-arch enemy who killed a man that he loved like a brother. But there's a reason Gena Showalter is a best-selling author and I am a fan-girl. Not only did she pull it off, but she actually managed to give us great insight into our hero and made our heroine extremely sympathetic.

Amun shares his body with the d
Stephanie  G
Darkest Secret
Amun is one of the many warriors cursed with a demon after opening Pandora's Box. Amun is the keeper of secrets; a high lord demon whom can read anyone’s deepest, darkest secrets out of their head. He can’t speak aloud for fear all the secrets he has bottled up will come spilling out and unintentionally hurt those around him.

When Areon his fellow Lord need Amuns help to go to hell to retrieve Areons charge,
Amun of course agreed to go knowing what would happen to him if he went to
Apr 16, 2011 jD rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
I love the consistency of the LotU series. Ms. Showalter never disappoints. I especially enjoy her pacing and the way she builds the love story. In this installment, Amun won my heart as did his lover, Haidee. The idea of having a Lord fall for a Hunter was not too far fetched as we already learned from Paris's obsession. In this story, however, Haidee was much more complicated. She was like an onion, layer after layer of the unexpected. I had often wondered what Amun was like as a person. He is ...more
Larissa Ione
Aug 03, 2011 Larissa Ione rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites in the series, right up there with Reyes's book. This one really showcases Gena's talent...very few authors could pull off a non-speaking hero, and she did it awesomely! Haidee turned out to be my favorite heroine, and I loved how she didn't fight her feelings for long. It was refreshing to have a hero and heroine fall for each other smoothly, while battling external forces. Definitely loved this one!
He gave her what no one else had ever been able to give.
A past to cherish.
A present to enjoy.
A future to anticipate.

The Darkest Secret is the seventh installment of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Amun, Keeper of Secrets, and Haidee, a Hunter.

Amun can hear everyone’s thoughts and hidden secrets. He has chosen not to speak, because if he releases a single sound, the secrets would escape and it would hurt his friends.

In The Darkest Lie he helped Aeron to save Legion f
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
Amun and Haidee’s story was one that I read just because back in the time and didn’t make a great impact on me but oh, lord… I was so wrong.

This time it was like reading it with brand new eyes and I loved it. I loved them together, I loved the rest of the characters and I’m so happy I’m re-reading this series.
Chippy *Moves Like Jagger* Marco
2 or a 3? I don't know, so I'll say 2 1/5. This is the first book in this series that I didn't like that much. I didn't hate it, but whether I could say I liked it is also another matter. It's an Okay, nothing more. HOWEEEEEVER, I can say I disliked the female main lead distinctly, she annoyed me, while the male lead was boring. I won't give up on this series after one let down, because I did like the precursors, so onto the next one and hopefully my faith in this series will be restored.
Apr 25, 2015 Natalia815 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigo adorando la saga. Ahora le toca el turno a Amun, que tiene el demonio de los secretos. No habla, pero utiliza muy bien la boca para otras cosas ;)

Ahora en serio, sigo adorando la saga. El viaje de Paris, William y Strider me ha dado la vista y la aparición de Kaia promete mucho.

Deseando seguir con la saga. Proxima estación: Strider, me da a mi, que va a ser retado muchísimas veces...
Sep 16, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
4 Fire And Ice Stars!
This is the seventh book in the Lord of the Underworlds series. Amun and Haidee's story.
Amun is the keeper of secrets. Every person he comes in contact with he absorbs all of their secrets. So many secrets this man keeps inside of him that he is afraid to open his mouth and spill so many things that could cause harm. Amun uses sign language with his brothers. During the last book when Amun, Areon and William visited Hell to rescue Legion Amun's body absorbed many many demon
Tuba Özkat
Jan 19, 2016 Tuba Özkat rated it really liked it
Çevirisi bitti.

Ay ben William'ı okumayı çok istiyorum... William'ı okumayı inanılmaz istiyorum. En gizemli, en çekici karakterlerden biri bence *wink-wink*

Bu kitapta başrol Sır iblisi taşıyan Amun ve Avcı Haidee'nin dışında, Strider, William ve Torin'in ağzından kısımlar görüyoruz. Ay ben bir de Torin'in kitabı istiyorum! :D Ayrıca melek Zacharel de istiyorum *-*

Biliyorum, çok şey istiyorum!

Reread (listening to audio):
I love Amun. This was one of my favorites of the series. I guess because I have always felt sorry for Amun. I didn't like Haidee at first. She gets a bad rap because she is a hunter. She grows on you when you get her full story. I'm glad Amun finds someone just for him. The suffering in the beginning almost made me cry for Amun, it was very descriptive.

Original review (10/10/2010):
The best part was when the guys went to vacation and "drunk called" the keeper of voilen
The darkest Secret 43 138 Jan 07, 2013 04:42PM
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Secret (LOTU #7) 7 47 Nov 23, 2012 10:34AM
  • Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark #7)
  • Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4)
  • Taken by Fire (ACRO, #6)
  • Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Darkest Facts (Lords of the Underworld Companion)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)

“Hate. Huh. He'd never hated himself. If anything, he'd always liked himself a little too much. Once, a human female had even accused him of picturing his own face while he climaxed. He hadn't denied it, either, and next time he'd slept with her, he'd made sure to scream, "Strider" at the pivotal moment."
--Strider, keeper of the demon of Defeat--”
“For a moment, Strider almost forgot how pissed he was with Amun and Haidee as he savored the fact that he'd just cock-blocked the keeper of Death. Almost.” 94 likes