Start by marking “Madeleine” as Want to Read:
Madeleine

Ludwig Bemelmans

Madeleine (Madeline)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  135,515 Ratings  ·  1,214 Reviews
Madeline truly needs no introduction. An enduring classic, Madeline continues to enchant readers more than seventy years after its first publication.Nothing frightens Madeline not tigers, not mice, not even getting sick. To Madeline, a trip to the hospital is a grand adventure. (Hebrew)"
Published January 1st 1996 by Modan Publishing House (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Madeleine, please sign up.

Belinda "Madeline is the smallest yet bravest of the twelve girls at the boarding school." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madelin...

It is also said she is…more

It is also said she is American not French, I know you can only take so much from Wikipedia but I believe that to be true. Madeline was my favorite growing up.
(less)

Trina (Between Chapters)
I read this for BookTubeAThon to fulfill the "read a book older than you" challenge. I remember having and reading this book as a kid, but now I'm kind of confused about what a kid would get out of the story. I guess it's just fun with the pictures and rhymes, but I didn't see much meaning (other than copy your friends? Wish you have an illness to be one of the cool kids?). I really have no idea how to rate this as an adult.
Miriam
May 22, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture

Coincidence?

Marianne Werefkin
Sloan
"In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
In two straight lines they broke their bread
And brushed their teeth and went to bed.
They left the house at half past nine
In two straight lines in rain or shine-
The smallest one was Madeline."

Who doesn't remember the first lines from the classic childrens book Madeline!? As a young girl I adored this book. I used to check it out of the library repeatedly, until finally my mother gave in and b
Selene
Jul 20, 2016 Selene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BookTube-A-Thon Challenge #1
Read a book with yellow ok the cover.

BookTube-A-Thon Challenge #5
Read a book that is older than you.
Sarah Sammis
Jun 08, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc
Madeline is one of those books that has been in print for so long that everyone seems to know the story even without necessarily having read it. When I was pregnant with Sean, Ian and I saw the 1998 film version of Madeline. While watching (and enjoying) the film we realized that we couldn't remember the story. Ian went out and bought a copy for Sean.

The story is told through a simple rhyme taken a few words at a time across pages. The bulk of the tale though is in the illustrations as Madeline
Kathryn
I'm not quite sure what to make of Madeline, or how to rate the book. I'm quite sure my mom read this to me as a child--she gave us the most beautiful children's book selections through books she acquired at garage sales or checked out from the library--but I don't really have any warm-fuzzies attached to it so I'm guessing it was not a favorite.

It's still not a favorite. I can appreciate it, to an extent, but I am just not sure I really liked it that much. Maybe my expectations were too high? T
Rebecca McNutt
It's been several years since I've read this classic picture book, but I found my old copy from when I was a kid yesterday, and it's still a story that holds up. Timeless, full of wonderful paintings of Paris scenery and very creative, Madeline is unforgettable.
Brigid
Mar 29, 2014 Brigid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my childhood favorites. This may be strange. Even as a child, I had a sense there was something going on between Madeline and Pepito. I felt they had a thing going on. You know, "Romantically". What the hell is wrong with me! Is that just me? They were kids and yet I could sense something. I loved the French story and the all the girls and their quirks. It's a cute story. I used to adore the cartoon too. Yeah. Sometimes I just want to take my head off, I'm so fucked up.

PLUS SHE'S
Haley
2016 Reading Challenge: A book that's guaranteed to bring you joy

Given the fact that I've just unearthed this beauty from a box of mementos, this might just become the year of me rereading childhood favourites and I am perfectly okay with that.
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone young or French at heart
Shelves: french, childrens
When once asked if a book ever changed my life, I thought of "Madeline." It was in no way a profound awakening -- I was too young to even understand the lasting effects let alone remember the first time I read the book -- but it lay the seed for my fascination with all things French.

After the book came the Madeline doll (with her stitched on appendix scar) and the sequel stories and subsequent television shows. I still get nostalgic every time I see the two rows of girls in their yellow uniforms
Matthew
To check out all my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

When I was a little boy I remember vividly watching the animate cartoon called Madeline. When my grandparents had to babysit me sometimes they were busy and put on cartoons and leave the channel for me and I remember watching this on Disney Channel in the morning/early afternoon and being mesmerized by the story. Typically Madeline is for "girls" but I have gotten to a point in my life that looking back on the programs that I watch
Jill
Aug 16, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ran across this book today, and had a flood of childhood memories. I love Madeline, perhaps because she is French, Parisian, and Catholic, three things which I was not (and still am not). She also has a sense of adventure and fearlessness, which is not always common in stories about little girls. There is always a bit of a fascination with orphans too when one is a child-- not that one wishes bad to come to their parents, but the thought of a child without proper adult supervision is sort of e ...more
Mehsi
I may have heard about this series/this book before, however it really came to my attention yesterday, when someone I friended on Goodreads read this one. It looked fun, and right up my alley.

And did it turn out to be that way? Yes, though it wasn't because of the so-called timelessly appealing art (What was so appealing to it?), but because of the adorable story with wonderful, sweet characters. Characters like the Miss Clavel, Madeline, but also the other girls.

Especially Madeline quickly tur
Laima
Loved it! This is a classic children's book with wonderful illustrations and rhyming verses.
I read this book many many times when I was young and to my children when they were young.
The story of French schoolgirl Madeline is timeless and includes picture references of many famous Paris landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre and Notre Dame.

I read this book for free on We Give Books.
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Read this book as part of my Diversity Challenge, I had to read a book that was turned into a tv show.

Very cute story!
Ronyell
“Madeline” is the first book created by Ludwig Bemelmans for his “Madeline” series and has won the Caldecott Honor Book Award. This book basically details Madeline’s earliest adventures from standing up bravely to a ferioucious tiger to having a bad case of appendicitis.

Ludwig Bemelmans’ writing is creative and sweet as he writes the story in a rhyming text that efficiently narrates the story. The story of how Madeline suffers from appendicitis and how Miss Clavel and the other girls cared enoug
Anastasia Light
Madeline
Ludwig Bemelmans

It was one of the first books I remembered as a small child taking a violent proprietary stewardship of; it was the book I wouldn’t share.

I don’t know how it was that I believed wholeheartedly that the book was, in truth, my own story from when I was another girl… I remember at age three being fulent in French, distinct in my likeness to the other orphans, and brave beyond measure.

It was easy, so easy to be those things, because of the love and security I found in Miss C
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
This was the book that made me want to go to France. I loved the stories of Madeline and can remember watching the cartoons early Saturday mornings.
Tricia Douglas
This is a classic, must-read book for children. When this was published back in 1939, Bemelmans presented us with a wonderful story of Paris and a little girl who is rushed to the hospital due to an attack of appendicitis. I understood little of what was going on at the age of 5 or 6 when I first read this book, but being in the hospital with flowers and toys and having everyone admire Madeline's scar, hooked me. Now I have most of Bemelmans books on my bookshelf and love each one. This was a se ...more
Leena
Dec 22, 2015 Leena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fav childhood cartoon.
Mary Soderstrom
Aug 12, 2014 Mary Soderstrom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Madeline is the first book I ever borrowed from a library. It was brand new, the year must have been 1947 or 1948, and I saw it in a display of new books. You had to have a library card to borrow and to get a card you had to be able to sign your name, so, dyslexic me, I made my mother help me practice until I got the "Mary" down pat. The librarian let my mother sign my last name, as I remember.

Still love the book, and read the French version recently to my grand daughter Jeanne.
Emily Holter
Mar 25, 2014 Emily Holter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Children grow to love a little girl named Madeline when reading this unique poetic book. Madeline is a very daring, yet loveable little girl that most children can relate with. Madeline seems to be very daring and is not afraid of anything. Children would love her fearless approach on life. The story also shows Madeline’s brave side, as for she has to have her appendix removed. Children could relate to this because it shows Madeline in a big scary hospital.

The book tells the story of Madeline,
Lori
Jul 20, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my Wish List for a year since before I moved to Paris for three months. It is a birthday gift from my brother and sister-in-law so it's very special. It's the 75th anniversary edition plus it has a panoramic pop-up spread of Paris!
It's a case, the book, and the stand-alone pop-up, which I'd beautifully designed. I love seeing the places I got to know during my time in Paris.
Kath
Jan 07, 2015 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tried this out on my girls today because I've never been quite sure of this book's appeal. Both of them (5 & 4) loved it. They wanted to know why Madeline was crying, why she had to stay in the hospital, why all the other little girls started to cry. Perhaps I lacked empathy at a young age. I always felt sorry for Miss Clavel. I also admired the symmetry of two straight lines, and it bugs me when Madeline is absent. It unsettles the order of things. Maybe that is what children sense but can' ...more
Hannah Mary
One of my favourite books that I read regularly when I was a child. A little girl called Madeline who lives in Paris in an orphanage, she leads a very orderly life with her family and has a real sense of belonging. Madeline gets poorly one night and is rushed to hospital to get better. The girls at the orphanage are sad and broken without her. They go to visit a few days after Madeline is better and are all happy to be back together. The style of the story portrays a perfect, sensible life which ...more
Ruby
Mar 27, 2012 Ruby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
I liked this book but not too much maybe because I couldn't find a solid learning experience that can come out of it. The only thing I could think of is the social studies domain because the girls are in Paris. This book includes many real sites that are actually found in Paris. It would be great for a unit on cultural differences incase a child might have a French background. We might talk about the differences and similarities of Paris and our current state like the boarding schools, the type ...more
Margaret
Madeline has been a character in my head from my youth and then years of baby sitting that I expected to come back to, but I didn't really remember the story. We read it last night as part of a Sonlight P3/4 suggestion, but I'm delighted to see that it will also be on our Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten list.

The edition that we read was a part of The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud. I really enjoyed the story, but this is another example of one t
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madeline is a little girl in Paris who lives in a house with twelve little girls who do everything in two lines. Madeline has to have surgery to have her appendix removed, and all of the girls miss her terribly. The girls get to visit Madeline in the hospital and wish that she was back home with them.
The drawings are very simple. The colors in the story are limited to yellow, black, white, and a small amount of green, blue and red. The people in the story almost resemble stick figures, but someh
Miss
Jan 25, 2016 Miss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I was expecting a story of Madeline similar to the film. So I was caught off guard with this book! None the less, it is lovely and the best part is it's rhyming which makes it flow quickly. Also, the story surrounds Madeline exploring, being brave and having fun which relates to the rhyming which makes the book more exciting to read - reflecting Madeline's personality.
I enjoyed this book and would read it with children in my class or maybe a child who is needing minor operations or eve
(;Missy.Lala;)
3/5 Stars...
This book used to be one of my favorite books of all time. But then I guess for me it got a little boring, I don't know why, sense I was a big fan of this book before, I have no idea what happened, but oh well. -sigh- I'll try reading this book again sense I own and try to bring the little girl in me to see if I'll LOVE it again like I used to :)
Summary:

This story is about a girl named Madeline, in Paris.
This tale of a brave little girl's trip to the hospital has been famous for quit
1001 Children's B...: January 2016: Madeline 7 20 Jan 30, 2016 08:17AM
  • Tikki Tikki Tembo
  • Imogene's Antlers
  • Frédéric
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity (Knuffle Bunny, #2)
  • The Berenstain Bears Get Stage Fright
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Miss Rumphius
  • Strega Nona
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmet, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.
More about Ludwig Bemelmans...

Madeline (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Madeline's Rescue
  • Madeline Loves Animals
  • Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Madeline at the White House

“In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
In two straight lines they broke their bread
And brushed their teeth and went to bed.
They left the house at half past nine
In two straight lines in rain or shine-
The smallest one was Madeline.”
218 likes