Start by marking “Battle of Betazed, The (Star Trek: The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
Battle of Betazed, The (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Battle of Betazed, The (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

In the darkest hours of the Dominion War, as the Federation's downfall seemed ever more certain, Jem'Hadar and Cardassian forces conquered Betazed, the homeworld of Deanna Troi. Their victory sent shock waves through the Alpha Quadrant, and put the Dominion within striking distance of Vulcan, Andor, Tellar -- and possibly Earth itself.

To secure their position in the very

Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Battle of Betazed, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle of Betazed, The

Adam
Dec 04, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not often where I find myself identifying any substance in the Counselor Troi character, yet "The Battle of Betazed" provides a vehicle for just that.

The Next Generation writers often seemed to lack ideas of where to take Troi's character, and so she languished on the bridge, left to sense ill-intent in the alien-of-the-week every once in a while. Despite that burden, the authors manage to bring Troi in focus for a pivotal mission in the Dominion War which will have lasting repercussions fo
Matt Piechocinski
Mar 10, 2011 Matt Piechocinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically only go for books of proven authors (like Peter David, Weis/Hickman) when reading "series" books. But, I'm not gonna lie, the Dominion are awesome, and I've always preferred them as antagonists to the Federation than say the Borg, which seem the automatic go tos. So, why wouldn't I read how they conquered Betazed? Anyways, Douglas and Kearney did a marvelous job with this little ditty, and weaved the two big components of any good Trek story, action and moral quandary, into an exciti ...more
Trekscribbler
Among the shrinking legion of people who will publicly admit to being fans of Paramount Pictures' most enduring franchise, STAR TREK, a good read typically consists of a villain worth the 'boos' and 'hisses,' relative character development, and a wealth of phasers 'set to kill.' (Note: these are not 'bad things' but, rather, just notable benchmarks for a successful Trek book.) Charlotte Douglas and Susan Kearney's long-awaited and much-ballyhooed THE BATTLE OF BETAZED succeeds on those levels an ...more
Michael
Feb 25, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Pocket Book's batting average for the year 2002 in terms of Star Trek novels just keeps getting better and better. After leading off the year with the home run efforts of In the Name of Honor and Immortal Coil, the Star Trek line hits a stand-up double here with the Battle of Betazed.

The Battle of Betazed is set between the events of Star Trek: First Contact and Insurrection and somewhere in the fifth or sixth season of DS9. Betazed has fallen to the Dominion who are hoping to use it as a rallyi
Caitlin
Dec 30, 2016 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I'll admit that I was first attracted to this book because of the image on the cover: Deanna Troi, my favorite TNG character, holding a giant phaser rifle - how often did something like that get to happen on the show? This novel gives Deanna the chance to be in command of a very dangerous away mission, one that is essential to the liberation of her newly-conquered homeworld. Her struggles to balance her own instincts (she's a compassionate woman, not a fighter) and the demands of her mission are ...more
James
Apr 16, 2010 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't a challenging or long read. The writing isn't fantastic, either. It is good, just not fantastic. However, I give it high marks for exploring a part of the Dominion War that was only mentioned on screen. In DS9, the writers wanted to suggest that the war was going badly for the Federation by saying that a major member-planet had been taken by the Dominion. They chose Betazed.

This book follows up on this idea with Deanna Troi and the Enterprise recruited for a special mission by St
Rena Sherwood
Star Trek: The Next Generation meets Hannbal Lecter. Has some nice bursts of action and gives an interesting exploration of Deanna Troi, but a bit blurry at points. This is NOT for the casual Star Trek fan but someone who has seen every single episode of ST:TNG and at least half of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Oh, and you better see the movies, too.

description

The big disappointment was that the Hannibal Lecter character barely does anything after a huge build-up. Interesting that there is no mention of Han
Bernard
Sep 05, 2012 Bernard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrekkin
Star Trek Deep Space Nine fans will recall the Dominion War that spanned the last two seasons of this great series. It was mentioned that Betazed fell to the Dominion. A short story in Tales of the Dominion War sets the stage for this novel, which details the battle to reclaim Troi's home planet. It's very good! However, the subject matter was a bit... disturbing. Telepaths using their mind powers for killing isn't exactly the uplifting story we expect from TNG-era books, especially when it is n ...more
Jami Leigh
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 1/2 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

I've always been a sucker for Troi. I had a bit of hero worship (and maybe a bit of a juvenile crush, in retrospect) on her as a preteen, to the point where I had a cardboard cut out of her in my room, dressed up as her for halloween, and even had my hair permed to try to be more like her. (Yes, the perm looked as horrid as you'd expect. I looked like a freaking poodle!) Her stories always seemed to have more moral ambiguity in t
Todd R
Jan 09, 2015 Todd R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, trek-tng
Good Trek book set during the Dominion Wars. Characters were well written and the challenges in the book were well placed. I liked the scenes with the Cardy's and the other Dominion reps. The exchanges and the tensions between the various allies of the Dominion are always interesting and were in keeping with the shows dynamics.
Also this had the Generations crew, and it was good to have them make an appearance during this era.
Amanda
Feb 03, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for Deep Space Nine. It is the best of all the Treks. But I always wonder how the Enterprise E crew fared during the Dominion War. And the mention of Betazed being conquered but nothing else discussed...I needed more. This book filled in a bit, and it was fantastic -- just like an episode of TNG, done during DS9 era.

Like if DS9 did crossovers like CSI and CSI NY, this would be that book. I'm gonna have to go get more of the books.
Angela
The Dominion has taken over Betazed, and the Enterprise gets embroiled in a plot to free the planet. Deanna has to revisit her past and her fears to save her planet. This is a quick read that covers the liberation of Betazed, there's some nice character bits and is a page turner. Troi's mother isn't in it as much as she should have been though. A good read.
Clarissa
Jan 17, 2014 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the characters were true to canon, and the storyline had plenty of action to keep me reading. I would recommend it to any ST:TNG fans. If you're not already a fan, it will be much less fun, but will still hold together as a readable story.
Joe Pranaitis
Feb 27, 2011 Joe Pranaitis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a story that takes place inbetween seasons 6 and 7 fo Deep space nine, I have to admit this was a good book and and good insite to how the Dominion subjugated a people in the time of war.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behold a strong war story that is still very trekkian at hart. A good read for people who like Troi and the Dominion War plotline.
Bradley
A solid story, but it just didn't quite do it for me. This story did keep me turning pages though. A must have for a Trekkie. =)
Gene
May 04, 2011 Gene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
good book, would have made a good episode or two. I'm not to familiar with the events of the Dominion war, but you really don't have to to enjoys this book.
SixBeforeLunch
A decent examination of a seminal part of the Dominion War that received very little attention in the TV series. Sadly not as well written as I'd hoped, but still a diverting read.
Derek Brown
Derek Brown rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Lolrus
Lolrus rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Eriond
Eriond rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2010
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
James Geraghty
James Geraghty rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2014
Annika
Annika rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Captainkoloth
Captainkoloth rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
May 13, 2008
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Lance
Lance rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2008
Julie Soden
Julie Soden rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2012
  • Behind Enemy Lines (Star Trek: The Dominion War, #1)
  • Maximum Warp: Book One (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #62)
  • Tooth and Claw (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #60)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • A Fury Scorned (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #43)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #50)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • The Forgotten War (Star Trek: The Next Generation #57)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • The Death of Princes (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #44)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • A Hard Rain
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
CHARLOTTE DOUGLAS has loved a good story since she learned to read at the age of three. After years of teaching that love of books to her students, she now enjoys creating stories of her own. Often her books are set in one of her three favorite places—Montana, where she and her husband spent their honeymoon; the mountains of North Carolina, where she has a summer home; or Florida, near the Gulf of ...more
More about Charlotte Douglas...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)