Start by marking “The Book of Malchus” as Want to Read:
The Book of Malchus

The Book of Malchus

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
It is 410 A.D. and the world is crumbling. Rome, that sovereign city, symbol of order, master of the world, has fallen—sacked by an army of barbarians!

News of the catastrophe travels quickly and for one Lucius Fidelis Crescentius, an aging pagan philosopher, the news is particularly devastating. He has witnessed the rise of the Christian sect and he blames them for Rome’s
Published September 2010 by Deseret Book (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Malchus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Malchus

Michelle
Sep 12, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Always kind of wondered what life may have been like during what Mormons refer to as "The Great Apostacy". This novel takes place at the fall of the Roman Empire (around 410AD). Lucius, a renown philosopher, begins to question what he has always believed in - the Roman pagan gods as a force of those who call themselves Christians begin to take over parts of Rome & other great cities of the once vast empire. Lucuis & other "non-believers" are expelled from their homes in Carthage by the n ...more
Carolyn
Feb 12, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing read. It seemed along the lines of The Robe and Ben Hur with a different twist. Lucius is a Roman philosopher losing his long held beliefs in the Roman Gods. He has taught logic to many students over the years. Unfortunately, he believes, some of his students have become powerful Christians bound and determined to purge Carthage of the pagan gods. Lucius wonders which Christian sect will prevail. But he doesn't agree that the current most powerful one is logically sound. T ...more
Victoria
Dec 19, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it
story of Malchus a Roman who leaves a bronze plate record of his voyages to America and meets Lamenites and then sails back and witnesses the crucifixion of Christ and then sails back to see Christ in the New World when he visits there the next year. The plates are read by his descendent in 400 a.d with the fall of Carthage who is not a Chritian but his servant is.
the author is a writing teacher at BYU but he needs a bit of work on Style and not insulting readers with "footnotes" in a work of f
Polly
Dec 02, 2010 Polly rated it liked it
Maybe a 3.5? Interesting story, maybe just not my cup of tea. It got a little much when a sentence actually started with "And it came to pass..." Interesting notes from history woven into the story, but it made it a little choppier than I would have liked to stop at the end of each chapter to read it. My favorite passage from the book:

The thing about storms is that they do not lend themselves to the comfort of neutrality. for the most part, we retain our sanity by walking through our lives as th
Arica
Sep 25, 2014 Arica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club-reads
When I picked up this book, I knew absolutely nothing about Roman History. This isn't the type of book that I normally read but it was the book club choice and I decided I would give it a try. I am sure glad that I did. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to follow the story and that it would be quite a challenge. I must say that as little as I knew, I ended up falling in love with the book. It was very easy to follow and the information that was needed was provided so I didn't ever feel lost. ...more
Effie
Sep 24, 2010 Effie rated it it was amazing
This book was written by my dad and I love it! All prejudices aside, it is captivating, humorous, adventurous, tragic, and hopeful. I found myself continually excited to find out what was going to happen next. There are historical facts at the end of each chapter which help the reader understand the history and traditions that occurred during that time. I recommend this book without reservation to all friends and family. The only reason it took me almost a week to read it was because my husband ...more
Josh
Mar 03, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-young-teens
I really enjoyed the book for some reason. I didn't care much for the parts that had the Lucius character but the Malchus parts were good.

The first chapter was poorly written. The man Lucius destroys his statues of the Roman gods from what appears for little reason. We don't find out until the last chapter in the book that he had been struggling with his belief in the Roman gods for decades.

Other than that I enjoyed reading it and gave it four stars because I thought it was good enough that I w
LeeAnn
Oct 11, 2013 LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book has an intriguing story line, excellent historical context with fantastic twists that qualify for fantasy. Captured from almost the first moment, or at least chapter. How do you explain such a book without giving away the ending? It's worth a read. It is religious as well as all the other and bears testimony to the reality of the Savior even though the medium is fiction. Definitely a good plot twister.
Lorena
Jul 07, 2011 Lorena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS Historical Fiction
Recommended to Lorena by: Deseret Book
A good historical fiction novel. William Hamblin was one of my professors in college, and one that I really liked, so I was excited to read a book he co-authored. What a fascinating story! Knowing it was written by Hamblin made it all the more believable, because he was serious about history. I feel I came to know the Savior better by reading this book, and that makes it a very worthwhile read.
Susan
Nov 03, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
About 410 A.D. the Roman empire is falling apart. A pagan philosopher and teacher, Lucious, is struggling with why the gods allowed it. He finds, hidden in his family shrine, a history of one of his ancestors who lived at the time of Jesus Christ, written on bronze leaves.
The historical notes at the end of the chapters were fascinating and I really enjoyed following his reasoning.
Cheri
Sep 30, 2010 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
What a great book!! I loved it. There are a lot of twists and turns in this wonderfully written book. Lucius is a philosopher, who is struggling to make sense of a world that has turned upside down. He finds a hidden record of a merchant explorer named Malchus, an unknown ancestor who traveled by sea. Could this book have the answers to the questions that are in his heart?
Vickie
Apr 22, 2015 Vickie rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. Very educational - loved the footnotes.
K.C.
Feb 14, 2011 K.C. rated it liked it
This was an interesting, well-researched novel that follows the lives of two individuals, Lucius--a pagan philosopher living in 410 A.D--and his ancestor, Malchus, from the time of Christ. I won't give any spoilers except to say that the author does an excellent job of pulling you into the setting. It's definitely worth a read and I look forward to future efforts.
Marjean
I had to read this book because Bill Hamblin provided the historical information. (Son of 5th ward member and friend to Sandy and Wendy). A nice historical fiction covering the time of Christ. It was interesting, romantic and even humorous. Informative footnotes in each chapter. I was entertained and educated. : )
Ivy
Jun 08, 2011 Ivy rated it liked it
Probably one of the best Mormon fiction books I have read. However that being said it seemed a lot contrived. Things at the end didn't seem to add up. I liked the story of Malchus, but didin't care for the 2nd story line of his centuries ahead ancestor. Over all I would say it was an okay read.
Kristen
Jan 27, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
Interesting concept. I really loved the Malchus part but the Lucius part was a bit tedious and not as strong as the Malchus part. It was a refreshing take on LDS literature. I also thought his writing style was a bit like Dan Brown. Overall a fun, different read.
Kari Garrett
Sep 15, 2011 Kari Garrett rated it it was amazing
My husband and I read this book during a trip to Phoenix. My husband and I both loved it. We couldn't wait to get back in the car to read during the long drive home. We even read in the dark with the passenger seat light on because we just couldn't put it down!
Connie
Oct 08, 2012 Connie rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy the Lucius story as well as Malchus' story. Lucius never got beyond asking questions and the story never went anywhere, but Malchus sailed half way around the world twice. I liked the ending and hope Lucius finds a new world where he finds answers.
Weston
Feb 23, 2013 Weston rated it really liked it
This book was actually pretty good. I was surprised at how the story played out at the end, it wasn't something I even expected! It was a good LDS read, fiction-based novel that takes part in Rome and the New World
Gkeller123
Nov 10, 2010 Gkeller123 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is an historical fiction, set in 410 AD, at the fall of Rome. Make sure to read the footnotes at the end of almost all of the chapters. I wish more LDS fiction was as good as this.
Jennifer Smith
Jun 12, 2011 Jennifer Smith rated it liked it
I picked this up as I really enjoy historical fiction. I learned much about the time of Christ, His visit to America, and the end if Rome. It is a fun little story.
Sue
Apr 24, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
An interesting book set at the time of Christ. I learned some things about the culture of the time period and enjoyed the story line.
Mark
Nov 24, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
Kind of a fun read and kind of a neat story. It really piqued my interest in learning more about the Roman Empire.
Lucinda
Oct 20, 2010 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Adventure, history, love. I would recommend this book to anyone. I couldn't put it down.
Alicia
Oct 29, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
This one is a 3 1/2 star for me. Fun, creative story. Enjoyable read.
Amanda
Jan 03, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I liked the sub story within the book, but not so much the main story.
Brenda
Apr 23, 2013 Brenda rated it it was ok
It was difficult for me to get into. However, I liked the ending.
Wendy
Mar 10, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
I liked the ending but it was a bit tedious to get there.
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Reynoldsmichelle
Reynoldsmichelle rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016