Start by marking “Slob” as Want to Read:

Rex Miller
Preview

Slob (Chaingang #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Stephen King hails Rex Miller as "terrifying and original". Slob is his debut novel, the story of a man who thinks of himself as Death. A man wholikes to feast on human hearts, spilling blood wherever he goes. Jack Eichord is the detective who must hunt this human monster and genius killer. Years of working as a homicide detective for the Chicago Police department has hard ...more
Paperback, 1 page
Published January 1st 1988 by Dutton Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Slob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slob

Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 4: The Sound of the Men Working on the Chain Gang

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers previously stored and forgotten at my parent’s house and untouched for almost 20 years. Thanks to my father dumping them back on me, I now spend my spare time unearthing lost treasures from their plastic depths.

Even though it’s been over twenty years, I remember why I bought this book. Back in the pre-Internet days, if you d
Maxine
I received a copy of this novel thanks to Open Media Publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, my thanks for the opportunity.

When I saw this novel had accolades from Stephen King I figured it was going to be really awesome. I was wrong. Really wrong. I am not quite sure WHY the accolades from an author such as King but there we go.

Slob has the promise of being a really good read, it's about a nearly 500lb sick, demented killer who preys on human beings to fulfill an insatiable n
Lee
Mr. Millers first novel in his "Chaingang" series, with the 6'7", almost 500 pound Daniel Bunkowski.....the killing machine. And, the (now)sober serial killer specialist, detective Jack Eichord, picked to stop him.
Miller, who really goes into great detail/descriptions/atmosphere and the smells of the booze that once took over Jack's life. Myself, being sober for 9 1/2 years, I really feel the author had real past experience in this subject.
Back to Chaingang - he "needs" to kill, and does he eve
OutlawPoet
Brutal Fiction

When I realized that Open Road Media had reissued Rex Miller's Chaingang book, I was excited. It's been many
years since I read Slob and dove right in.

It's still amazing.

Daniel "Chaingang" Bunkowski is a killer. He wasn't born a killer - he was made one. And his makers did a darned good job. He kills simply because he likes to. He's over five hundred pounds of muscle and evil and he's on a spree - just for the fun of it.

Rex Miller was one of the founding fathers of Splatterpunk and
Charles Spencer
When I spied this book on the paperback rack years ago, and then looked closer to see my favorite author Stephen King endorsed it as a 'terrifying and original novel' on the cover, that was all I needed to know and I bought it. Okay, depending on the circumstances, I'm easy. But I trusted in the King, and my trust was validated when I read Rex Miller's first novel, SLOB. Like Stephen King's best-known works, this is horror that feels believably, street level real...Miller also gives us a villain ...more
Maicie
I heard about "Slob" from one of my GR groups. The idea of a 500 pound serial-killer sounded intriguing but it failed to deliver. I liked the section on how a serial-killer is made. And the chapter with the serial-killer and the puppies was touching. But the rest was just so-so.

John Burke
Didn't like this at all. From the flimsy storyline to the method of writing (huge, paragraph long sentences) to the sudden ending, this was a miserable read.
Christopher Fulbright
I guess folks might be shaking their heads that I rated NIGHT OF THE CRABS three stars and did the same for SLOB, but just let me say up front that I take each title at face value. That means I gauge each title based on its promise (presentation, cover copy, hype, etc.), and how well it delivered on that promise.

I'd heard for years that I just had to read this book. It has blurbs from the best in the business -- Stephen King, Harlan Ellison, etc. So, when I came across a copy a few weeks ago, I
Robert Essig
I just finished reading Rex Miller's classic debut novel SLOB, the first story featuring Jack Eichord, a renowned detective who specializes in serial killers, and Daniel "Chaingang" Bunkowski, a monster of a man whose proclivities have earned him the title of the Lonely Hearts Killer.

I enjoyed SLOB for a variety of reasons, however there were a few aspects to the novel that turned me off. What both worked yet simultaneously distracted from the novel was the voice and style of the writing. Very s
Phlaemmle
Als Jugendliche habe ich die Bücher von King und Co verschlungen, noch heute lese ich hin und wieder gerne ein Buch aus dem Genre. Aber Fettsack konnte mich nicht überzeugen. Die Beschreibungen, recht brutal und deutlich, beeindrucken mich nicht. Der Psychofaktor fehlt nämlich in diesem Buch und gerade das Spiel mit der Angst ist es, was mich an solchen Büchern fasziniert. Blutgemetzel können recht öde werden, wenn sie einem nicht nahegehen, sondern man darüberhinweg lesen kann. Viele nette Ansä ...more
Benjamin Uminsky
Whoa... this one was pretty mind blowing. Lets start with the prose... over the top high octane! The cadence felt like a staccato blast of a heavy caliber machine gun. In terms of horror fiction, I have not previously felt an author's voice come through the prose like it did in the Slob... highly manic and forceful. As I was reading, I kinda felt like I was watching a well rehearsed practioner of Spoken Word doing his thing up on stage... I am really impressed with my first intro to Rex Miller. ...more
Pianoforte
N.
This book is the hottest garbage. It's like Bret Easton Ellis had a baby with Donald Westlake and took the worst aspects of both writers. Miller sticks the occasional obscure terminology in between long, rambling sentences as if one SAT word will make up for the lame stream of consciousness nonsense. This brand of exploitative fiction just doesn't cut it in a modern context.
Tyrell Warner
Like most Rex Miller works this book will be perceived differently by two very different groups of horror/thriller fans.

The first camp, preferring macabre imagery and excitement, will likely spurn this book, due to its overwhelming gore/depravity payload. Some of the grotesque, overtly evil references will hit them like an atomic bomb.

The more gore-loving horror fans will love this work, and probably seek out more material from the author.

While some of the descriptions of characters and characte
Simon
Highly enjoyable lowbrow dross. The author has better prose than many modern thriller writers (Brown, Larsson etc.) but HE DOES LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS A LITTLE TOO MUCH, and the many jumps in the narrative focus and style make the whole thing seem a bit disjointed, especially on occasions he repeats, like the book was assembled from many scrawled notes and odd scenes of sex and violence he'd written. He's also pretty homophobic and somewhat racist, and the cop is pretty unbelievable. Still, you do ...more
Paul Knerr
Not bad

it was a good book enjoyed it a lot. Chaingang is a beast. one of my favorite villains of all time.
SSteppenwolFF
Sick ... Twisted ... Brilliant !!!
Derek Davis
This is so bad it's almost wonderful. Apparently no one edited it, at any point, so that even the use of ital, ALL CAPS and other such intrusive shenanigans is inconsistent. The psychopath du jour is a 400-lb sadist called CHAINGANG or Chaingang, depending, who seems to hate everybody everywhere but loves puppy dogs. And he can run very fast – all 400 lbs. of him.

If you can't sleep and think a good laugh or dose of editorial horror could send you off, try it.
Jasmin
Harter und spannender Stoff!
William
Jul 26, 2010 William rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serial killer fiction fans
I enjoyed this book but not enough to give it a five. I found Millers style of peering into the killers thoughts and memories somewhat hard to follow at times. I never found myself really worrying about the characters. I thinks this needs to be on the reading list of all serial killer fans but not ranked near the top. I was especially disappointed in the climax which was....somewhat anti-climactic!
Brad
This is the start of the chronicles of Miller's horror-hero Chaingang. A more down-to-earth and explainable 'Jason', for lack of a better term. This makes him all the more frightening along with the fact that we get inside his head. Somehow Miller makes this riveting instead of repulsive. A neat trick that he manages to duplicate with the books that follow.
John Onoda
I gave this book a five star rating, but it deserves a note of explanation. SLOB is the equivalent of a gross-out horror flick in that it goes for power and impact rather than nuance and sophistication. Sex, violence and sadism are the vehicles to achieve the author's desired effect. It works, but it's not for the squeamish.
Andrew
Read some time back but enjoyed back then and I recently read the sequal 'slice' which brings back the character of Chaingang what appears to be a no return option for him in this novel.
It's gross,fast paced and actually rather enjoyable!!
✟ℜoxanne✟(Death by ßook Avalanche)
Wow...this ended up being a serious struggle to finish. I would get into it for a couple of pages and then it would just lose my interest, I have given it 2 stars for the small amount of pages that kept me going through the rest of the slurry.
Scott
The absolute barrage of words and violence and psychopathy was enough to make me turn page after page after page! An awesome book. But not for the faint of heart. Which reminds me, winning hearts and minds! Taking the hearts, leaving the minds!!!
Nathaniel Hensley
Quite possibly my favorite book of all time, just because it showed me how great something could be when it throws all the rules of writing out the window and goes for pure visceral RAWNESS. one of a kind
Gary Phelps
This is the first 'adult' book that I ever read (I was only fourteen when it came out). Loved it, but this tale of a morbidly obese serial killer doesn't pull any punches; it is really nasty-G.P.
Jennifer Connolly
I read this years ago, so I'm not even really sure it is worthy of even three stars, but I can remember being grotesquely fascinated. So what the hell, it get's a "Liked It"
Bill
A 500 lb serial killer. It's graphic, it's sick, and it's great!
  • The Ninth Configuration
  • Here Comes a Candle
  • Breeding Ground
  • Eisner/Miller
  • Lupo mannaro
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 (Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Kanzenban, #1)
  • Sacrifice
  • In the Dark
  • Survivor
  • Animosity
  • The Resurrectionist

Rex Miller Spangberg was a DJ and horror novelist, best known for his "Detective Jack Eichord" books.
More about Rex Miller...