Start by marking “American Apocalypse: The Collapse Begins” as Want to Read:

American Apocalypse: The Collapse Begins

WITH THE ECONOMY IN FREE FALL AND
MILLIONS THROWN OUT OF WORK, AMERICA’S FRAGILE
DEMOCRACY COLLAPSES.

The federal government is left powerless, police and military forces disband, and a once-proud America descends into lawless anarchy. Cities empty. Looting, violence and murder quickly become the norm. And desperate citizens are left to fight for their very survival.

Amid the
Published March 1st 2011 by Ulysses Press (first published February 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about American Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Apocalypse

Robert
Mar 30, 2011 Robert rated it did not like it
Just one star here. To be honest, I was really disappointed. I had hopes that this book would be great, but I felt as if I was reading someone else's dream. Events blurred together, and hardly seem connected. The main character really annoyed me, and came across as a sociopath. He would wantonly kill, and it was just too unbelievable. When at the ski-lodge in West Virginia, I could hardly believe that he took out 2 special-ops with a steak knife (clearly drawing on his online-game training ).The ...more
Kirk McElroy
Mar 11, 2013 Kirk McElroy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Booooooo!
This was one of the toughest reads I've ever had. I wanted to see the main character catch a case of dysentery and die from lack of medical attention just to end the agony of a completely unlikable character in a who gives a crap situation. Let's all make sure to get our video game time in as the world crumbles.
Shermanbe
Sherman, Ben
Humanities Period 2

“American Apocalypse” by Nova is an action packed and suspenseful novel. The price of the book was $14.95 and it was published in the U.S. by Ulysses Press. The book itself was first written as posts on the economics blog, Calculated Risk. The genre of the book is a thriller/apocalyptic.

The story takes place in Virginia during a really tough economic struggle throughout the U.S. and most of the world. Out of all the books that I have read, this was the #1 book that
Schnaucl
Carter Briglia
Aug 30, 2015 Carter Briglia rated it it was ok
Gardner, The Killer

American Apocalypse: The Collapse Begins, by Nova.

I wish I could say the survivalist story of Gardner hooked me in and kept me begging for more to read, but it simply didn't. Gardner lives in a world where the "Crash" happened, and the U.S. economy is in complete shambles. After losing his job, Gardner takes it upon himself to be innocent, and lay low with his laptop. Gardner formerly was an avid gamer, so the online world isn't unfamiliar ground for him, and he knows tha
Graham
Jun 16, 2016 Graham rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, owned
I still can't believe I saw this one through to the end. The most clichéd characters ever written. All of whom should be considered white unless otherwise specified, and they will DEFINITELY BE specified. "They rolled the black soldier over..." "The Hispanic woman asked..." yeesh.

And the author is an unbelievable horndog; every other line seemed to reference "good-looking women" or getting to sleep with his hot ASIAN girlfriend (or his disappointment when she, perhaps rightly upset over observin
Andy
Dec 27, 2012 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, dystopia - how many ways do I love you? The four volume American Apocalypse series popped up on my radar recently so I dedicated the last few weeks to reading the books serially. This review will cover all. In this TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It for you non-apocalyptic types) story the seminal event is economic collapse. The collapse scenario is believable and actually very accurate in how certain events could trigger catastrophic world financial breakdown. Just look around an ...more
Drew
Jun 18, 2012 Drew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I really wanted to like this book. I really did. It’s a post economic collapse survival story, which is something I love to read about, and it’s the first in a series (I love continuity of story) which would keep me reading all summer long. Alas it didn’t work out that way. The three biggest issues I had with this story are:
1) Writing style. I never felt a part of this book. It’s told as if someone was just spewing out thinks that happen. No context, no description and nothing holding it togethe
Brian Shafer
Jan 09, 2014 Brian Shafer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preppers, GIMers
A phenomenal series. If you are into WROL, currency collapse type stuff this is the best book I could recommend. A believable story, and backdrop in the near future U.S. after the economy has finally tanked. Ventures down the sci fi/fantasy path slightly, but not enough to detract from the enjoyment at all.
Troy
Dec 07, 2011 Troy rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a relatively good read, but much too extreme in my opinion. Many of the situations did not seem realistic even in the slightest, and I think the author's commentary on what a possible outcome may be for the US is drastically overblown. While this would make for a good fictional story, the attempt to make this an almost realistic "what-if" book just did not sit well with me.

Anyway, this is a very quick read, and you may enjoy it if you are big into post-apocalyptic type books.
Barb
Sep 27, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting apocalytic story set in the Washington DC area. The book doesn't really specify the time period in which the story takes place, but it appears to be sometime in the not so distant future, as references are mad to Obama and another unnamed African American president.

In any case it is a believable story as well as fast paced.

My only problem now is that it seems that the second novel in the series is not available on kindle. I hate when that happens!
Joe
Jun 20, 2011 Joe rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Not the worst of all books I've read. It's a shallow story with extremely underdeveloped characters and the principle of which is not-at-all believable. However, "American Apocalypse" is certainly fast-paced and is entertaining here and there. If you're into conspiracy theories and dark stories, this might be worth reading on a plane or when you're really bored, but don't expect any life-changing revelations stemming from this book.
justablondemoment
Good book but a bit fast paced for me. I would liked to have gotten more info on how the world got to the state it was in and more character development would also have raised my enjoyment of the story. Will follow up with the next book as it did provide me with enough entertainment that I want to continue.
Garth
Apr 14, 2012 Garth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apocalypse
As the USA collapses economically, socially and politically, a no-hope young man discovers what he's really good at - killing bad guys.
Savannah Sokol
Fast read and entertaining because it was more probable than most "end of the luxurious world" books that I have read.
Kerry
Feb 01, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it
This is a new genre for me. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Itisha Poe
Not a good book at all! I didn't even finisb reading the whole book. Boring!!!
John
Feb 27, 2013 John rated it liked it
Shelves: 1fiction, box9
Good book about the collapse of the US. Cool thriller, WTSHTF book.
Matthew Duncan
Jan 29, 2013 Matthew Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite good. Suitably apocalyptic without being alarmist.
Brad T.
Apr 16, 2013 Brad T. rated it did not like it
Just couldn't force myself to finish it
Zachary King
Zachary King marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Christian Criswell
Christian Criswell marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Linda Halvorson
Linda Halvorson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
David Alim
David Alim rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2016
NormaCenva
NormaCenva rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
  • Deep Winter
  • Daybreak Zero (Daybreak, #2)
  • The World Ends in Hickory Hollow
  • Lights Out
  • Summer of the Apocalypse
  • After America (The Disappearance, #2)
  • Founders (The Coming Collapse)
  • Down on the River (Renewal #4)
  • Holding Their Own II: The Independents (Holding Their Own, #2)
  • Apocalypse Law (Volume 1)
  • Rebirth (The Judas Syndrome, #2)
  • One
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Desperate Times 2 Gun Control
  • After Twilight: Walking with the Dead
  • The Walk
I am a writer among other things. I wrote, "Police Battalions of the Third Reich" and the "American Apocalypse" series.
More about Nova...