Nocover-blank-133x176
Vector

Robin Cook

Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  5,043 ratings  ·  100 reviews
After Richard Preston's The Cobra Event, you'd think bestselling authors would give the abused citizens of New York City a little break. Well, not so. In Robin Cook's Vector, the Big Apple is locked in the sights of a twisted citizen who feels he's been deprived of the American dream. Get ready to be terrified once again.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published February 1st 1999 by Books on Tape (first published January 1st 1999)

Jess
Horrendous writing, but who doesn't enjoy the wacky hijinks that ensue when a disgruntled Russian emigre and an vengeful bunch of white supremacists cross paths? Bio-weapons, terrorism by pest control truck- this is the perfect bargain basement book for a lazy day (if you're lucky, you'll find a Robin Cook omnibus for double the fun!).
This book was phenomenal, as least in my opinion. I love how Cook created his M.E.'s and had them find out details that, if they missed, would have flawed the book. The characters in the novel are lovable (well, minus Yuri, Steve, Curt, and Co.) and quirky in the best possible ways.

What I thoroughly enjoyed were the parts at the hospital. Now, yes, I know I probably sound like a freak there, but hear me out. I enjoy medical lingo, so being able to understand a novel and dive into it is key to me...more
Heather Spence
I had to read this book as a requirement so it took a lot of the satisfaction out of it but there is almost always something going on. Although, it's not in a high-speed action sort of way but instead makes you use your brain and enjoy the thought and emotion behind what the main characters do. Hits very close to home after the anthrax scares after 9/11.
Jim C
Another case for Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. This is part of a series but each book can be stand alone novels. This one concerns a Russian immigrant who came here for the American dream but has failed to capture it. He has become disillusioned and now he is planning a biochemical terrorist attack before he returns home.

This book was written before 9/11 but it is eerie how this book reminded me of that horrific day. Maybe because of the setting of New York and any terrorist attack in th...more
Maisie Manuel
The unimaginable becomes a horrifying reality in Dr.Robin Cook's thriller, Vector. Medical examiner's Dr.Jack Stapleton and Dr.Laurie Montgomery are both presented with two very peculiar cases. When Dr.Stapleton diagnoses his patient as a rare case of anthrax, an infectious and usually fatal disease, and Dr.Montgomery examines the remains of a tortured member of a neofascist skinhead militia, the two are completely unaware of the fact that the cases are related. All the while, an angry Russian i...more
Hilary
Written before the New Jersey Post Office anthrax scare, Cook points out in this novel's afterword that it bisn't a matter of if bioterrism will be used as a weapon of mass destruction, but when.

Yuri Davydov is a disenfranchised Russian immigrant. Trapped in a loveless marriage (which he entered only to secure citizenship) and loathing his dead-end job as a New York City taxi driver, Yuri is tapped by a Neo-Nazi skinhead organization to strike back at the country he feels betrayed him, by creati...more
Geert Daelemans
Decent and almost visionary thriller

When Yuri Davydov, a former Russian technician from a secret biological weapons plant, escaped to the United States he has high hopes of the American culture and economy. But quite soon he discovers that the American Dream turns out to be a real nightmare. In America his Russian diploma is not worth the paper it is printed on and the only job he can get is that of a taxi driver. Totally disillusioned he decides to return to his native country, but not before h...more
Geert Daelemans
Decent and almost visionary thriller

Katie George
Although the writing is not phenomenal, the story is captivating. Presented in a manner that makes the crazy plot seem plausible, it really makes you think about the threat of bio-weapons like anthrax, and how by using them, it would only take a handful of extremists to cause unbelievably wide scale problems. It is crazy that the novel was written in 1999, before 9/11 and the anthrax scares that came later because it is so reminiscent of both events. Definitely a quick, intriguing read, especial...more
Henri Moreaux
Written in 1999 before the American Anthrax scares the novel is prophetic about the dangers of biological terrorism not being a matter of if, but when.

Drs Stapleton & Montgomery return in this book the fourth in the series. This episode we have an ex-Biopreparat technician (or Биопрепарат in Russian, their biological weapons research/production facility) who is disgruntled with American and after meeting up with some Right-wing nutjobs decides to stage a terrorist attack.

Unlike the last book...more
Miss Jane
Formulaic, but eerily prescient.

Robin Cook's books are all pretty much the same, but I enjoyed this one anyway. Drs. Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery are back, this time saving NYC from terrorists with anthrax.

Vector was published in 1999, and it's a bit creepy to read it after the real anthrax scare. The glossary in the back contains entries for "WMB" and "bioterrorism". Would we even need a glossary for this book today?

Bumped up from two to three stars because the ending amused me so mu...more
Ed
Feb 18, 2008 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Tracey
Recommended to Ed by: no one, picked it at random
I finished this Audio Book while driving from Ames to St. Joseph Mo to Dallas TX on Thursday the 14th of March 2008. I bought it at Houseworks in Iowa City for $1.50 half price used, and I gave it to Tracey to take back to Claremont and listen.

Turned out to be a page turner, or a tape turner in my case. I was impressed that even though it had quit a few characters it was pretty easy to keep them all straight. It deals with a scenario that could really happen, and would be world changing, and ge...more
Jim
Robin Cook is a writer for me who always delivers the goods. The pace is hectic, the terror of someone releasing a biotoxin like anthrax in a large population centre like New York is realistic. There are some interesting characters like Davydov the disillusioned Russian immigrant who knows how to make bioweapons, he teams up with an Aryan terrorist group, despite having a black wife. The wife becomes one of the first victims of his home grown anthrax. I haven't read anyone on a par with Robin Co...more
Dyana
This disturbing and page-turning read is a weapon of mass destruction thriller involving a disgruntled Russian taxi driver (a former biological weapons tech), two firefighter white supremists, Jack Stapleton - a NYC medical examiner who uncovers the plot to wipe out a government building and Central Park, plus anthrax and botulism. A very intense story and a plausible picture of a modern bioweapon, and of terror and disaster that could happen in real life. Not for the faint-hearted!
Happy
Anthrax, botulinum toxin and what have you. I think this one is possible to happen. And yes, for the Jack-Laurie fan, Laurie almost got married to another man. :D
Saskia
Heel grappig en onlogisch eind
Carly
May 09, 2011 Carly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jeff started a thread at Wild City Books n' Movies, back in 2k3.

I probably read it too, but don't remember it.

..................

May 9th, 2k11 - just looking at this again. I most likely listened to it when we had the set of CD's in. According to my record at Wild City there, both Jeff and I liked it.

But I think I'll just leave it as a 'to-read'.

Wendyh
Intriguing mystery with some interesting twists and turns at the end. The main character is a Medical Examiner in NYC who discovers a case of anthrax, and tracks down the origins which ends up to be quite a whirlwind chase. This is not my favorite of Cook's, but certainly entertaining. My personal preference is for a bit cleaner language than this book offered though. (just a heads up for some of my friends!)
Mathangi Srinivasan
The book introduces the plot & the villainy right at the beginning and you wonder what could possibly end up as a twist. But, Cook lives up to all his expectations and man! what an anti-climactic end that was still terrible . Guaranteed over doses of hyper ventilation, expected "what if this actually happens" scares once you finish the book. Great thumbs up for the oodles of information, as usual!
Reese Copeland
I enjoyed the book. It presents a very real possibility in terms of bio-terrorism, and it really causes you to think; especially given the times we live in today. It has a compelling story, and is a pretty quick read. I did enjoy the book and would recommend it to others, particularly those who follow the news and have concerns about bio-terrorism.
Amy Rogers
2 star science thriller (good book but below average for the genre). Bioterrorism, New York, and anthrax. Honestly, I probably would've given this book a better star rating if somebody other than Robin Cook had written it. Cook (of COMA fame) is capable of so much better. For my full review, see ScienceThrillers.com
Barbra
A thoroughly good read - really enjoyed this book.

Back Cover Blurb:
New York cab driver Yuri Davydov is a disgruntled Russian poised to lash out at his adoptive nation. A former biological weapons technician, he possesses terrifying knowledge. Can Dr Jack Stapleton get to Davydov before he unleashes his weapon?
J. Yandell
An engaging story. I do find some of the dialogue between the "good guys" to be a bit stilted.
David
I must admit that I'm a sucker when it comes to the biological thrillers, so this book was right up my alley. The interesting (and scary) thing about the book is that it actually could happen. Perhaps this was the book that inspired the anthrax outbreak early in this century. It's a good read.
BoekenTrol
Well, this book kind of merges in with all the other books I read by him. I liked it, but can't remember a lot of details. If I would write a review, I'd have tro re-read it. I'm not sure I'll do that, since there are so many others to be read too.
IF I will, it'll take a while.
Renee
Nov 04, 2008 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those concerned about bio-terrorism
This is a what-if biowarfare/terrorism scenario in NYC. Good story, good afterword about this sort of terrorism and admonition to "stay frosty" (be alert, aware of what's going on around you). Even a bibliography. Cool. Reminded me of the Cobra Event, by Richard Preston. Scary.
Sara
Good typical "holly book" but was kinda hard for me to get into despite the face paced nature of the storyteller. I guess after reading so many teen book I expected someone to makeout with someone or go to a ball or something. Who knows. Was a slow read. But good story.
Jackie Hayter
This book was written in 1999, and is about an act of terrorism in New York. A little freaky.
Melanie
Yep. You guessed it. Another book I read at the cabin. His books are mildly entertaining though I wish I was smart enough to actually understand half of the medical jargon he likes to spout. The ending was nice and sinister. Those bad guys deserve it.
  • Flashback
  • Cold Plague
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Bloodstream
  • Isolation Ward
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion