Start by marking “Needful Things: The Last Castle Rock Story” as Want to Read:
Needful Things: The Last Castle Rock Story

Needful Things: The Last Castle Rock Story

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  158,204 Ratings  ·  2,317 Reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN 0451172817.

A wonderful new store has opened in the little town of Castle Rock, Maine. Whatever your heart's secret desire -- sexual pleasure, wealth, power, or even more precious things -- it's for sale. And even though every item has a nerve-shattering price, the owner is always ready to make a bargain.

In this chilling novel by one of the most pot
Paperback, Movie Tie-In Edition, 736 pages
Published 1993 by Signet (first published October 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Needful Things, please sign up.

Madison Calhoun Oddly enough (since it's not one of his more famous novels), this was the very first King book that I read. It still remains one of my favorites. I…moreOddly enough (since it's not one of his more famous novels), this was the very first King book that I read. It still remains one of my favorites. I fell in love with it. It's a fantastic story and if you're a fan of Stephen King, I would definitely recommend it.(less)
Maria Also The Sun Dog (short story in Four Past Midnight). It's about Pop Merill who is mentioned in the prologue. King said that this short story is…moreAlso The Sun Dog (short story in Four Past Midnight). It's about Pop Merill who is mentioned in the prologue. King said that this short story is settled between The Dark Half and Needful Things.(less)

Jeff
Feb 07, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
As Jeff turned to go into Needful Things, he bumped into a woman wearing a dazed determined expression, who was hurrying out the door, clutching a stuffed warthog. Entering the store, he was greeted by a tinkling bell and what appeared to be the shop owner, walking toward him with an outstretched hand. Jeff’s first instinct was to back away in revulsion, but he extended his hand and felt a wave of nausea sweep over him.

“I’m Leland Gaunt and welcome to my humble establishment. I’ve just opened to
Dan Schwent
Dec 13, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, kitten-squisher
A store has opened in the Maine town of Castle Rock, a store selling objects a person most desires, at a price the buyer can afford. But are the goods worth the cost? Can Sheriff Alan Pangborn get to the bottom of Leland Gaunt and his Needful Things before he falls prey to the madness that's gripping the town?

In what originally was intended to be its final appearance, Castle Rock goes out with a bang in this Stephen King tome.

It reads like a love letter to Castle Rock at times. I caught referen
Gregor Xane
Mr. King likes to tell stories about people getting trapped. He's got one about a guy trapped in a bedroom. He's got a whole bunch of these stories, really. He's got people trapped inside a car, in a gas station, a classroom, a grocery store, a hotel, on an island, a city under a giant force field. I'm pretty sure he's got one about a lady handcuffed to a bed for the whole book. I'm just going from memory here. He's probably got a lot more.

In Needful Things, the entire town of Castle Rock is tra
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 Edward Lorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
Some authors write about king slayers. Others write about serial killers. Stephen King? He writes about fuckers capable of leveling entire towns. Whether those responsible are aliens or devils, it doesn't matter. The ride is usually a fun one. Needful Things is no different. It is, however, the epitome of a bloated Stephen King novel. There are entire characters herein that serve zero purpose. George T. Nelson and Frank Jewett's stories could have been left out. Ace Merrill is another pointless ...more
Brad
Oct 10, 2016 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2016-shelf
With this tome of Stephen King small town horror, I'm constantly amazed that I had missed picking this up and geeking out over it when it first came out.

I'm certain that I would have. It has all the things I'd been learning to geek out about with his general horror universe, including Cthulhu references, homages to his previous works including events and characters, all of them strung up as if on a map of homicide victims on a perp board, and of course, Castle Rock, itself.

Castle Rock Entertainm
Paul Nelson
'Everyone loves something for nothing . . . even if it costs everything.'

When new shop Needful Things opens in Castle Rock, there is soon an avalanche of customers desperate to 'buy now' but as the front cover says, you will pay later. Leland Gaunt is the proprietor and he has an extensive stock, something will definitely catch your eye, I guarantee it.

Is it the perfect store? Well it possesses the thing you desire most and its available for whatever you think it's worth, with a small proviso,
Nikoleta
Dec 13, 2015 Nikoleta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Μου άρεσε αρκετά στο σύνολο του. Το βιβλίο αποτελείται από 3 μέρη. Το πρώτο μέρος κυλάει αρκετά αργά, αλλά ο συγγραφέας κάνει σπουδαία και βαθιά ανάλυση στους χαρακτήρες της ιστορίας και μας προετοιμάζει άψογα για το τι θα επακολουθήσει. Το δεύτερο μέρος μας βάζει πλέον για τα καλά στην υπόθεση και τα πάντα μπαίνουν σε μία σειρά. Το τρίτο μέρος αν και με γρήγορη πλέον δράση, μου φάνηκε ότι τράβηξε την ιστορία από τα μαλλιά, ότι έγινε λίγο "ότι να’ ναι". Μου φάνηκε ότι αυτό το βιβλίο γράφτηκε από ...more
 ~Geektastic~
Stephen King’s approach to horror is much less about the supernatural than I think his reputation suggests. Before approaching his work back in high school, I was vaguely aware of books like Cujo, Pet Sematary, Christine and It (mostly due to their movie incarnations), and based on these, I assumed that King was all about the thrills and chills of the unexplained or just plain weird. It turns out the real horrors of his books are quite easy to explain, but no less frightening for this. Human nat ...more
M.G. Mason
Aug 09, 2011 M.G. Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite that The Stand is my favourite King novel, Needful Things comes a very close second.

In some ways it is a much more intriguing story in that it deals with a much more base issue: human greed and the things people will do for personal gain.

Leland Gaunt arrives in Castle Rock, the setting for a good handful of King’s novels, opening up a bric-a-brac shop. The thing is with this shop is that it always seems to have the customer’s most secret desire and Gaunt never seems to require much money
Cody
Mar 01, 2017 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Needful Things is my favorite Stephen King novel. Hell, it's probably my favorite novel, period. I felt that way going into this reread, and those feelings did not change upon reading it for the...fourth time, I think it is now. King nails everything here: exceptional character work, horror and comedy in equal measure, and one of his most memorable endings to date.

I know this novel has its detractors, and that's cool. Different strokes for different folks, brother. This novel is long (but not e
Nicholas Armstrong
I was going to say that the reason I didn't like this book was the huge cast of characters, but that isn't true. Sure, the huge cast bothered me, but I've read books like that before, the problem was far more to do with the writing. The writing was belabored, tired, and trite. I say this with the utmost respect for King, but it was.

For example, the huge cast of characters followed a largely identical format. With a book rocking 730 or so pages of small font, that's a lot of reading, and, as with
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤

"YOU’VE BEEN HERE BEFORE.

Sure you have. Sure. I never forget a face."

Whoever said "nothing in life is free", has apparently read this book. A small town (one Constant Readers have seen many times before) is about to get a brand new business.

Anything your tiny heart desires is in that store. Anything at all!

There's that rare baseball card you've been hunting for ages! Oh, and look at those sunglasses worn by The King himself! Have you seen that gorgeous lamp you were never able to affor
Franco  Santos
Jun 12, 2014 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
¿Alguna vez les ha pasado que iban a leer un libro con una buenísima idea y les terminó decepcionando? Bueno, este no es el caso. Es una genial idea y King la trató con soberbia, perfectamente; hasta el punto en que superó mis expectativas. Trata sobre un misterioso hombre que abre una nueva tienda llamada "Cosas Necesarias". Resulta que cada quien que entra encuentra siempre lo que quiere y anhela fervorosamente (lo que sea, aunque sea casi imposible su adquisición). El dueño del local, Leland ...more
C.W.
Nov 30, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Always said this was one of my favorites of his, from when I read it many years ago, but never gave it a reread - still good, had a lot of fun listening to it this time around, but didn't enjoy it quite as much as I remembered. Original rating still stands (my tastes have just morphed slightly I suppose) but definitely wanted to give a rating to the audiobook. Still highly recommended, if you're looking for that creepy small-town feel!
Reanna
Absolutely loved this one and yes I should have read all of the Castle Rock ones together but life goes on. :)
Will M.
Special mention to Kat Stark! Because of her 4 star rating of this, and a really favorable review, I decided to pick this up again, as it was lying around on break for over 3 months already. I completely forgot about it (blame the really long to-read shelf). Thanks Kat! Your review was amazing, and it ended up making me finish an amazing novel.

Here's a link to her review: my link text

Finally finished this, and I'm really glad I did. What a freakin' ending that was.

The best Stephen King book th
Jenna
Mar 18, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of a buddy read with my fellow King readers : Anasylvia and Kat Stark

Never in my life had I read a Stephen King novel until just months ago and now I have marked off three on my list. After skimming through so many of his books, I was surprised that I had no idea that he wrote so many books that I had seen on the big screen. I always assumed that his books were just gore and horror without much of a story to tell and I am not sure how that became implanted into my brain, but
Ruth Turner

Audiobook – Narrated by Stephen King – For the most part it was great, although at times he read a little too fast and the words ran together.

I first read Needful Things in the early nineties, and I loved it…except for the ending. I sat there, stunned. How could he? How DARE he? I love Castle Rock.

And so I sulked. I refused to read any of his books for twelve months, and unlike so many of his other books, I never read it again. That showed him!

Then I discovered that he narrated the audio. I’ve c
Jenn Andrew
Beware of small little antique stores that appear in your town run by a man that makes you nervous. In a small town of Castle Rock where lots of weird things happen and where a number of stories are told, a tall, mysterious man sets up his shop called Needful Things and invites the locals to enter. His name is Leland Gaunt. He appears as a gentleman but under his taunt and dried skin he is made of pure evil. His customers really have nothing to buy from him but he is able to manipulate them into ...more
Adam Light
Nov 24, 2011 Adam Light rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, the-king
Upon reading NEEDFUL THINGS for the second time -first time since it was originally published- I was thoroughly impressed. I have changed my four-star rating to a well-deserved five. At first, I did not intend to read this again, but if I want to read King's entire backlog again, I will have to do it eventually, so I said what the hell? and dug right in.
I remembered very little, aside from the basic premise, of this thick novel for this reread, but I recalled that it had felt bloated and tedious
Reddish
Jun 05, 2015 Reddish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, king
Maldigo a Stephen King y esa manera que tiene de escribir que hace que no puedas parar de leer. Además tiene ese poder de crear personajes reales y bien definidos, y hace que te metas en la historia de pleno. La tienda ha sido una mina de altibajos y sorpresas, y el final apoteósico-apocalíptico se disfruta muchísimo. ¡Totalmente recomendado!

"Era un asunto extraño la cordura. Cuando uno estaba privado de ella, no se daba cuenta. No notaba su ausencia. Solo la percibía de verdad cuando la recupe
Anasylvia
Buddy Read with these amazing ladies Kat and Jenna.

“Everyone loves something for nothing...even if it costs everything”.

Damn King knows how to raise a girl’s blood pressure up!

I’ve been craving a good scare and Stephen King hit the spot with Needful Things. This book is filled with, terror, smut, and downright creepy shit, and oh man was it ever good.

Welcome to “Needful Things” the new little shop in the small town of Castle Rock where they sell you guessed it “things.”

description

Oh yes, anything you’ve e
Daavid
This was sOMeCraZysHiT of an idea moulded so well to form about an 800-pager book; in a good way of course ! :) It was way too difficult for me to give a five-star rating (a 4.5 is a certain yes), but the end (which I felt could either be disappointing to some, or contradictorily amazing) just took it away !

A very easy plot to understand, but not so much to plot its course during writing I guess.

Mr. Leland Gaunt sells "the stuffs of every person's heart's desires" in a small town, but which has
Jason Jauron
Dec 02, 2015 Jason Jauron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last King book that really had characters I could relate to.
There's a Leland Gaunt in every town.
Like the Pumpkins said, "The killer in me is the killer in you."

Let's face it...our society feeds on envy, lust, and greed.
And King painted characters that we either relate to because they were part of our life or at least the characters were people we could easily identify...
And that was the genius in this book...and that was the disconnect I had with The Dome
Thomas Strömquist
Dec 20, 2015 Thomas Strömquist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who hasn't already read it
I'm glad to find that re-reading this after 20+ years, much of my recollections were true and I totally stand by my former review.

This read gave me two new insights; this is one of the few that works equally well in Swedish as in original language, even if I nowadays prefer the latter as often as possible. The second one is that I'm sure that this book works best the first time around. Very much like another of my King "non-obvious", favorites, The Tommyknockers, it is a bit bloated and could ea
Chris_P
2.5

This is one of the few Stephen King books that could very well serve as a social commentary (many thanks, Effie). Lelant Gaunt is a merchant. He sells useless shit disguised as needful and the price includes something more than money. Soon enough, in the small town of Castle Rock all hell breaks loose. Cool...

As I said, it's easy to see the metaphor especially since King uses some pretty witty comments to make it clear. The citizens of Castle Rock have their own demons and Gaunt needs only to
Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1))
This. Book. Is. A. Masterpiece.
I loved when i read it a few years ago. Back then i was even more of a horror freak. I was hungry for it and king was my daily supplier. Needful things was awesome! Freakin amazing and i don't say that about a lot of books. I was a little frustrated by how long it took king to tell us what prices the residents of castle rock paid but this book was so good i couldn't even hold a grudge. Fitzpatrick! Kate! Noel! Casts! And above everybody else; author of once in a fu
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Nobody does the "nice, kind, small-town folks suddenly turning on one another" like Mr. King. This is one of my favorite King books and I thought it was terrific fun. Highly Recommended!!

Nominee: Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel (1992)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Horror Novel (1992)
Kortessa
Aug 16, 2016 Kortessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Stephen King's books that has remaimed in my memory even if several years have passed since I read it. I believe that it shows us that we live in a highly materialistic world and we are ready to sacrifice anything in exchange for what we want. Even our own soul and sanity.
Marina Gareis
Jun 11, 2016 Marina Gareis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Releyendo este libro, recordé que a King le gusta MUCHO matar gente. Incluso más que a Martin :P
Around the Year i...: Needful Things, by Stephen King 1 12 Dec 31, 2016 08:59PM
Stephen King Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Needful Things 9 60 Nov 03, 2016 05:43PM
Stephen King Fans: Needful Things 193 580 Oct 27, 2016 08:18AM
What should I read before Needful Things? 13 214 Aug 29, 2014 04:21PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add an Edition 2 19 Dec 17, 2012 01:32PM
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • Darkness
  • The Bad Place
  • The Stand: Soul Survivors
  • Night in the Lonesome October
  • Mr. X
  • The Mailman
  • The Survivor
  • Creepshow
More about Stephen King...

“I'm having a magenta day. Not just red, but magenta!” 136 likes